1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. Christophoros

Christophoros Chieftain

I forgot to add the changes to civil war and triumvirate : both cannot hurry anymore.

As for Valentia or an African City : Stazro has a good argument. We could also give Carthago Nova, although that would mean bigger changes as Carthago wouldn't have air trade with Spain anymore. Thoughts ?

2. König Markus

König Markus Warlord

I have nothing to add to your list but to add 4 Praesidium Parthica in Persian cities that were never historically conquered to take them absolutely unconqeurable.

In my view is better to give Carthago Nova also to Barcid civ, because only with a third Barcid civ Rome can't avoid to fight Hannibal directly.

3. Servus

Servus Chieftain

I have not been posting any game reports because the middle game is fairly uninteresting compared to the tense excitement of early Roman expansion and I was going to post a AAR at games end.
    I have been steadily playing my ironman game but have fallen foul of a bug which also afflicted me in my very first game.
    The bug involves the game freezing up when Dacia is invaded for the second time.
    When I originally reported the bug on this forum it was attributed to a non standard installation in that I had installed RFRE in the Conquests/Conquests folder rather than the Conquests/Scenarios folder.
    But now a couple of games later it has reoccurred in a standard installation and originally the bug happened in version 1.25 but now it reappears in 1.323.
    The only other similarity that I can think of is that I recall the first time it happened, after the first Dacian war, a Praedator had captured a bunch of servus and of course you cant recapture them without going to war so I let it slide. A similar thing happened this game.
    I have attached a copy of the save game file, just invade Dacia and see if the game freezes for you.

Attached Files:

4. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

I tried your save and it seems to have freezed when the Romans enslaved a servus from a defeated Dacian.
    All I did was getting dow by Persia and the Huns for asking them to leave my territory (btw wtf is that huge stack of like 2 gazillion persians sitting right beside your borders in Mesopotamia? They would probably roll over all of Asia with that SOD)
    I got a slave from a defeated Hun. Although it took about 10-15 min in between the time I received the message that I enslaved a servus and the next event, it seems to have frozen right after Dacia attacked and I enslaved a unit from a victory. Even after 15 min things didn't move, so I just shut down the game.

5. Stazro

Stazro Prince

6. Anglophile

Anglophile Warlord

Interesting update Starzo; just about where I am in my game. I have a lot more money than your total but am also running a much bigger deficit. I also still have a bunch of Legiones Imperatores which I have not converted to Legiones Mercenarii, as I want to maintain more offensive, or at least counter-offensive capabilities. I too have not gone into civil war and will not until there is a different government at the other end. I have decided it is too cheesy to have the crisis of the Third Century run for less than 10 years so I have slowed research (but still losing a bundle of money each turn as unhappiness is a big problem). and will build the counter wonder at about the right time historically - actually a bit earlier as I am running 5-6 turns ahead of the historical timeline. I didn't actually defeat Pontus and the Armenians until very late in the second century, way late on the timeline. The Persians still have all their cities - and one or two Armenian ones between/around the Tigris and Euphrates. At this point they are as likely to attack me as I am them - they have a couple of huge armies along the Euphrates.

A thought for how to make the CotTC more crisis like. What really cost Roma was the unending stream of rulers, mostly generals from the provinces who neglected the defense of the marches for personal ambition. I know Christophorus has been developing a very elaborate plann th mimic this (but has been silent for quite awhile). Why not just a series of Wonders which need to be built in civil war and in a single city. Two or three civil wars, with overused land tile penalties is going to provide a huge population and income hit to the Empire - especially the western bit - recovery from which will be very slow. It also has the advantage of being historically pretty accurate and will ensure that the crisis does not have a shortcut as one would set 'good' Wonder(s) at the other end to be dependent on the last of these civil war wonders.

7. Christophoros

Christophoros Chieftain

I am sorry to have stayed silent for so long : I am not bailing out on my duty, but I am working an awful lot these days so I don't have time to work on the patch. Hence, no update. But I will do it as soon as I have time, probably in a 3-4 weeks.

Anglophile : My plan essentially involves 2 civil wars with, in between, a government that is much much worse than civil war, so it is basically the same as your idea.

8. Anglophile

Anglophile Warlord

Christophoros: clearly I should have reread your posts before making my suggestion. Pleased to hear it as that will work pretty well I believe.

9. blitzkrieg80

blitzkrieg80 ðrymes ðēoden

you son of a... tilapia!?

awww.. it warms my heart that this thread is still alive... and yer still blaming me ><

seriously, it's awesome to see you guys

ps- i could swear there was a reason for the requirements on those cimbri, teutones, ect but i could have missed something in all that

10. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Blaming because you did such a great job, so I feel a tad jealous ;). Anyway, you may come back now, we have Christophoros as our new patcher/black sheep :) Can't wait to see the patch out. I will reinstall Civ3 then, promised!

11. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

[Drops in for social reasons]

Hi Blitz, Hi Pink. :) Nice to see you've made it back from TWC Blitz.

EDIT - something constructive: Would anyone be wanting to add some of the new wonderful units that have been made recently? Sandris has been very busy making new ancient style units, some of which would put the ones currently in this mod to shame.

12. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

* Just waves through the window *

Good grief! Are you guys still working on this :eek:

Hi Pink.... Hi Blitz... don't suppose you remember me, I was the quiet one in the corner... :D

13. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

You are still all lurking around - I can't believe it! Hi Keroro - an art patch would be nice even though, with the mod really getting old, that would be a lot of work. Hi Asclepius, after a long patch break, it seems a brave soul is ready to compile the last changes needed mostly to "fix" the game's end, as it failed to deliver (a fall, or even a significant decline) until now. Hopefully, there will be enough testers still around to help tuning these changes. Cheers guys!

14. jfby

jfby Warlord

Mod getting old? I've played it since I was in college over 2.5 years ago, and still play it (when time permits) now. I hate to say I never got too far past the Age of Augustus, but I always had a blast. Main reason for not making it further back then was my computer was too slow. Now it's because I don't have the time. I just wanted to butt in and say "thanks" to Pinktilapia and everyone else who put so much time and dedication to this wonderful game (it's really almost more than a mod).

15. Drendor

Drendor King

Hello!

After years of silence I have returned and started this scenario again.

I have encountered a huge problem though.

I downloaded the scenario and patches just as instructed in the correct order.

Its now 170´s BC and I just finished of the Punics.

The problem is that I have slave unrest on ALL tiles around 3-4 major cities in Italy.
    The problems started when I started building catasta+ latifundas.
    I did have temples in those cities though, and hence there were "only" 2 slave unrest symbols in the city screen.
    The real problem was not the sporadic unrest on single tiles that I could "easily" deal with. The dilemma was when entire cities had pop halved and ALL city tiles polluted in one turn eventhough the city had no slave unrest the preceding turn.

Hence I have abandoned my game after 30+ hours invested so far :)

Any thoughts on this from you veterans?

16. Stazro

Stazro Prince

This is the same effect as the nuclear meltdown from nuclear powerplants in vanilla civ, so you are just experiencing bad luck being hit several times.
    It is intended to be in the game as a major slave uprising (like, for example Spartacus) and usually doesn't happen more than one to three times in a game.

17. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

To stop these "slave uprisings" I'd suggest focusing on making your cities happier! It can only effect (from what I've seen) cities suffering from unrest!

18. Stazro

Stazro Prince

I don't think so, but unhappyness increases the chance.

19. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I think that was true as such in Civ2, I might be wrong though.

20. Stazro

Stazro Prince