1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

A few wonders will do as well. Portus Ostiae in Rome, and as you said, the Pharus. These just allow sea trading in one city. So think about where you build the Pharus as it can a life saver in reducing corruption in places like Asia (especially if you are at war with the Ptolemies, when the great Port of Alexandria is closed to you).

2. Zorag

Zorag Chieftain

Yello,
    I don't suppose anyone remembers me, I was quite a few pages back working on a small log.

I've been working on giving RFRE a graphic rehaul as that was one of the points I found weakest. I modified most of the terrain to use the watercolor model available. I am still working heavily on the cities and I've asked around for some assistance. I intend to make the cities much smaller(make them fit in their squares) and in concordance to the rest of the graphic. I've changed most of the units with more civilization like models and I still need to work on the resources. I'll upload an update as soon as it is done, which should be during next week if I can get some help from graphic artists on the forum.

Overall I'm sacrificing the realistic look towards better visibility (one of the weak points of the current graphics) and simply making them look better, more civ like.

Also, but I can't promise much, I'll try and implement some of Christophor's proposed changes. The ones everyone agreed on. If I get around to it I will probably finish those sooner then the graphic modifications, somewhere during next week.

And finally, but this is unlikely, if I get those 2 things done I've been thinking of giving the game a military rehaul for some time. The concepts are still sketchy but the basic ideas are obvious:
    1.Make the game have fewer units in the mid to end game.
    2.Allow the player a faster rebuild capability so that losing parts of his empire isn't the end of the world. This is especially important in the early game when losing one important city spells doom. I want to see Hanibal take/destroy a few cities.

To acomplish these 2 objectives I intend to manipulate the economy of the mod and the unit generation model. All units should cost suport and have their own advantage/disadvantage. The player should rely on unit generation buildings(regular recruiting) and actually construct units when the situation is critical. I'd like to see most of the player's cities focused on economy (opes), since that makes most sense to me.

But this last part is wishful thinking. I'll concentrate on the graphic mod first and completing Christoph's to do list second.

If anyone once to give a hand in anyway let me know. Testing also counts, actually more then any other help since after modifying Christoph's issues I doubt I'll end up testing that section of the game for quite a while.

Kind regards,
    Radu

3. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Hi Radu,
    Very ambitious. I welcome your efforts but I suggest you starts small et see how the community around reacts. I do know that plenty of extraordinary units have been made since the last RFRE patch, and that it is a shame they are not modded in, but I was quite happy with the rest of the graphics. It is certainly a question of taste and I am curious to see screenshots of your modded version. Some of your ideas makes much sense, but they will touch the game balance, and this will require tuning over months to get it right (not to forget, the economy hasn't been balanced yet, years of testing after the release of the beta). So careful if you venture there, the days of Civ3 are gone if you let me say so, so finding long term testers will be very hard. Will be checking in regularly to see some of your changes. Cheers :)

4. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Remember to keep a list of all your changes. The balance is so delicate on a mod like this that I'm sure testers would be much more at ease knowing every thing that has changed. :)

5. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

I'm having an..error. I was building Hoplitae Alarius's in several cities for some quick reinforcements, and well..they won't finish, in any city. They've sat at "1 turn left", for 3 turns. I don't know why this is, because as you can see, I have the population. What's up?

6. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I am pretty sure you are not supposed to recruit these units, especially in Rome. Are not these hoplitae auxiliaries available in greek cities when the proper building is built? So there must be something modded in that stop you building them. Check the population prerequisite, it might be 100 heads! Normally, this should be explained in the pedia....

7. Zorag

Zorag Chieftain

Well I've finished the list of modifications put together by Cristophor, except I didn't understand the reason behind a few, didn't know how to apply some others and others seemed stupid.

So, following are the modifications that can be made to your game by extracting the RFRE.rar on the bottom into your conquest's scenario folder.

It will still need extensive testing as the quality is quite uncertain. I will hopefully get to the testing part in a month or so and produce a tweaked version of the patch. And if I get around to it I will work towards creating a personal "submod" of RFRE to ilustrate a totally different military management scheme into the game that will hopefully make the mid to end game more easily managed.

Also along side this patch I'm presenting my graphical rehaul of the game. It is by far complete but has reached an acceptable state. I will try to work on it more to update the various units and if I get lucky find someone to do a few resource, city and unit models for me.

Until then here are the modifications brought by this patch:

- Helveticii now spawn from the transalpinii Helvetii city, Cimbrii and Teutones now spawn from Lower Saxony since that is approximately the historical origin from what I am aware of.
    - Portus Ostiae becomes obsolete with 325ad tech
    - Boost dromon to 9att 8def HP 1
    - Make the auxilia palatinae def 7
    - change the civilopedia expiration date for Hannibal and Hasdrubal Dux
    - Remove enslavement from incursatores
    - make a Requires Roma resource, available to Persia, Germania, Gothia, Galla, Scythia, Transalpinii, 99at uber unit that will not be buildable but will attract the AI’s attention
    - Implement the government form of C3C to make the economy crash between 225 and 285. Which means the following :
    - Constitutio Antoniniana wonder requires civil war gov and Immolatio Christianum costs 0 shields puts a municipium in every city
    becomes obsolete with the C3C tech.
    - C3C wonder requires Crisis government and Constitutio Antoniniana
    costs 25 shields makes 9 people unhappy in every city
    becomes obsolete with Diocletian’s Reform
    - OI-S wonder requires C3C wonder and Crisis government (the new type introduced in this patch)
    costs 0 shields
    Double city defense spawn 1 legio merc / 2 turns
    becomes obsolete with 325ad tech
    - Renovatio Diocletani wonder requires Dominate government (new name of Absolute principate) and OI-S
    costs 0 shields
    Puts a Diocesis in every city
    Never obsolete

- Change “Christian Dominate” to make it playable.
    - Have Hagia Sophia, Imperium Belisarium and Corpus Justinius require “Christian Dominate”
    - Set the pop cost of foot comitatenses to 3
    - Cataphractus get +2HP
    - Praedator Pictus’ movement increased to 4 but no terrain bonuses
    - Legio Antonii requires Alexandria resource
    - Increase Eques Alarius Germanicus attack to 14
    - Speculator now 14-5-HP
    - Cavalry Comitatenses get HP +1
    - Remove starting Municipium from Roma
    - Set Rome’s starting treasury to 100 gold
    - Make marketplace obsolete with Roman Decadence tech.
    - Create 3 “marketplace” improvements available with Justinian. These improvements will require either Greek, Oriental or Egyptian goods within their city radius.
    - Removed the disband option from all roman no suport cost units.
    - To represent I would say the gradual loss of respect Rome and even Byzantium suffered later on as they levied taxes without atually being able to protect the regions that were paying them, I would decrease the amount of citizens born content by one per level (you can find that in the difficulty level tab of the editor) but change the Domus Vestalis such that it makes 1 content citizen per city until it expires say in 225AD. So you'll have a small general happiness level drop at that point but nothing too hurtfull.
    - Civil war and triumvirate : both cannot hurry anymore.
    - Along side the Crisis of the third century to emulate the disruption of trade the Pharus, Portus Chartaginis and Portus Mercatorius all go obsolete with the 275AD timer, but with the tech soldier-emperor you get a Portus Britania, Portus Africa, Portus Aegyptus and Portus Imperatore. The Britania and Africa ports cost 10 upkeep and only provide transport and allows fast shipping, while the Portus Imperatore can only be built near greek goods and acts the same as Portus Mercatorius. Portus Aegyptus can be built only in Alexandria and works as a Portus Mercatorius.

The graphics patch is at: http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=73007

The game mechanics patch is attached to the post.

Attached Files:

8. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Oh come on! I don't have Civ3 installed, not to say the mod. Post some screenshots :)
    You did a very fast work of compiling that patch, thank you. I hope someone will have the time to help you testing the thing. Once it is checked and revised, I will set a link to it in the frontpost. The sub-mod idea sounds good as well, always wanted that, especially scenarios taking place at a more definite periods, like the civil wars at the turn of the millenium.

9. Zorag

Zorag Chieftain

Ups...
    Yes, I forgot that people need to actually see what this is about before they use it.

Like you said though, it is more a question of taste rather then actual quality as both models are excellent. The set is still incomplete but I've replaced most of the resources and early units and all terrain models. I still like mine better as the graphics seem clearer and a little more civ like.

Anyways, I will still need to test and fine tune the new patch, there are still some things that could be added such as small civ diplomacy. But I estimate it will take me at least a month to go through all of the relevant periods and subsequent fine tuning.

If I get there and I'm still up for it I'll try my hand in putting together my own modifications.

Until then however I'll do my best to compile a clear set of changes that my ideas would implement so that people can chew through them.

Attached Files:

10. First

First Chieftain

The graphics patch at atomicgamers doesn't seem to be any different (ie: no graphical changes whatsoever) from the overall game mechanics patch. I'm just guessing it's a slight oversight though.

Anyways, thank you so much for picking up where Christophoros left off. I like the way things look in your screenshots above and I'm more than intrigued by your own proposed changes with unit generation and economy of the mod.

I've enjoyed this mod immensely every time I've fired it up and it's good to see the RFRE ball rolling again.

11. mysterio_7

mysterio_7 Chieftain

Thanks for updating this mod. I have really enjoyed playing it. Downloading the patch and graphics right now....

12. Stazro

Stazro Prince

Hello, people, just dropping by to leave you this and this. :p

And I'd like to suggest to do something about the Sagittarius. In my opinion this unit isn't worth to be build, as it is now. The bombardment is much worse than that of artillery and the defence is worse than that of a Miles Auxiliarius, but it still costs support.
    Maybe it would be possible to make them free of support or perhaps give them a movement of two, so recruiting them would have a point.
    I have trained some in my recent campaign, but I soon disbanded all of them.

13. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Very well done Stazro. Quite an undertaking, bringing this story to completion! Too bad it again resulted in a non-climatic end. We will have to play primordial stew's civ4 version to see that happen I fear. Why did they forget scripting in poor old civ3... As far as units are concerned, the imperial cohorts also need to be redone if a patch ever come out, it just isn't right to have the AI not daring attacking cities when it has all it needs to win!
    Cheers!

14. Stazro

Stazro Prince

It is a two-edged sword. I have reported about the use of my Cohortes Imperatoriae and maybe it is even due to the fact that I had garrisoned all my border cities to Germania with one of them that the attack didn't come (the germanics were so angry about me, they didn't even accept gifts!). But on the other hand I doubt the player has a chance to defend himself without them.

15. Yang Liu

Yang Liu H.Balck

16. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Whats in the 2nd download? :hmm:

Also, FileFront sucks, it never has enough available download servers. ;)

17. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Yang Liu, tell us more and post screenshots. Sell your hard work man :) It is hard otherwise to get feedback. Having all Sandris' units modded in would be great. Which units have you updated? I second the issues with FileFront, never worked for me, be it from Thailand or Belgium. You could upload it all here...

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

:agree:

Post more info, screenshots and upload your work in the DL Database for all to see!;)

19. mysterio_7

mysterio_7 Chieftain

I totally agree with Stazro; because the Sagittarius costs support, I never trained any of them because I could train ballistas/catapultas that have better bombard ability and move at the same rate.

By the way, thanks for updating the thread with the new chapters Stazro!!

20. Stazro

Stazro Prince

For those interested, I have posted some late ADs savegames in my report thread, version 1.323.
    Thanks, mysterio_7!