1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Just out of curiosity, what terrains set was used originally (the screens on the first page)?

2. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

using these links and instructions I still have trouble with unit(*.amb), and terrain(*.pcx) missing files.
    I was using search to find these files but some of the destinations are so long it doesn't tell you exactly where they are needed, you just get \...\ in the middle.
    please help I want to play this

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\RFRE

3. againsttheflow

You shouldn't be having any trouble if you installed correctly though I haven't played with the very latest patch so that could be a problem. Just FYI, "..\" (two dots, forward slash) tells the computer to go up one folder.

4. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

I found the reason, the unit folder was inside a unit folder and the same for the terrain folder so therefor the files could not be found

5. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Happy gaming then!
    and
    Merry Christmas to you all! ;)

6. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Are there any patches or additions buried in the thread that should be added to the first post?

7. First

First Chieftain

I don't think so. There were/are a few patch attempts made by others but unfortunately it seems like every attempt has just fallen off to the wayside.

8. againsttheflow

Actually, Pink still visits every once in a while and has kept up on updating the first page with anything that has been release as far as I know. The last patch was done by blitzkrieg80 and I believe the latest attempt was by Christophorus (sp?) but seems to have since been abandoned.

9. Blue Monkey

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure whether the problem I was having installing was "pilot error" or "structural defect: missing component". I know pinktilapia is still around, so I'm sure if there is something missing I'll hear about it.

10. Blue Monkey

My old installation didn't work. I probably installed patches in the wrong order by misreading the names. The mod runs fine now.

I have another question. Actually a request. Is the space victory, Legatum Romanum, functional? If it is, could someone please get me a screenshot with it partially completed. Preferably with the last needed component highlighted by selecting it in the list, similar to the standard game's looking like this:

11. König Markus

König Markus Warlord

It is acitive and the standard way to victory.
    This screen is not active in RFRE. The "Byzantine Empire"-parts (= space ship) are handled like city improvements. But there is a nice victory movie at the end.

Attached Files:

12. König Markus

König Markus Warlord

I have to agree. The Germanics don't start war. They are just too "afraid".
    But if there is a war in the last part of the game, the Germanics are quite unstoppable.

However, only games with setting "most aggressive", AI (Germanics) will start war against the Romans in the last part of the game.

@pink
    Hey pink, I'm currently playing it. ;) Due to a lot of work, however, I have slow progess in the game.

Btw, where is Christophoros? Still waitin' for a patch. :D

13. mysterio_7

mysterio_7 Chieftain

The last patch link from Blitzkrieg80 worked for me, but I noticed it was missing several things... the Transalpini civ for starters. The last patch I downloaded and played was from a link from Zorag. It is on one of the last pages in the thread, page 209 I think. Here is the link to the patch:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=193248&d=1225669276

14. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I think the missing transalipinii tribe is due to its replacemement with a barcid civ in the Alps, since all the civ slots had been allocated. I might be wrong though, but I am certain Blitz had a good reasons to remove the transalipinii from the game, so go for the last 'official' patch if you want to avoid surprises.

15. Stazro

Stazro Prince

The last official version is 1.323, which includes both the Transalpinii and the Barcids. Perhaps you started one of the older biqs?

16. mysterio_7

mysterio_7 Chieftain

Maybe so, I never could figure out why I didn't have the civ. It's a great mod nonetheless and I really enjoyed the hours and hours I spent playing it!

17. Anglophile

Anglophile Warlord

Just want to take the opportunity to thank the mod developer(s) again. This is a great mod and does a brilliant job of following history - always with potential surprises along the way (example: Caesar about to conquer Gaul when Germania and Dacia invade Transalpine Gaul and Illyria rspectively, on consecutive turns. Then Aegypt(!!!) attacks in Asia when Pompeii is fighting Pontus. Result: 1st Triumvir remains stable as the 'Republic' is too busy with multiple wars to afford the luxury of a revolution).

As always, I am playing a somewhat modified version that allows me to play on Emperor (what other choice does one have when playing Rome really?). It is 130 AD and Trajan is now battling the Persians in Mesopotamia (interestingly Pontus had taken Bassora (but Roma has held it for 30 years), the Seleucids Cteisophon (sp?) and the Armenians Sarmias (just retaken by Persia) and Ninive). The war was necessary because so many Persian Bellators had been spawned that it was starting to look ugly - happily Persia declared war - saving the moral hit. Rome has taken Cteisophon and is holding it relatively easily but the Persian horde (100+ units, mostly Bellators) that took Sarmias back is pouring out of the mountains into the Tigris/Euphrates plain. Strong points are being held and a war of attrition has started. But Rome has just finished its Golden Age and is at its richest and strongest at this point. Challenging and fun - what more can one ask?

Soon there will be the crisis of the 3rd Century and the decline will begin. Will history be changed and the Dark Age that descended on W. Europe for 1000 years be averted? We'll see.

18. Anglophile

Anglophile Warlord

Question for any of the mod cognoscenti: trying to move this mod to a slightly bigger map, partly because I find the map edges in Africa and, especially Aegypt, annoying. APartly because Persia should be much bigger than it is. But mainly, would like to allow more campaigning along the Danube and across the Rhine - which reflects history - without compromising the capability of the N. Europe tribes in the 3rd and 5th century. So I want to match the Persian raising of very large numbers of Bellators should cities in Mesopotamia be lost for the Germans, Goths etc. i.e. the Romans can fight across the Rhine and Danube but will have huge problems holding any gains. Problem is that I have no idea how this neat functionality actually works. The Civilopedea for the Bellators says this happens but I haven't found the actual mechanism that generates it. Any help would be apppreciated.

19. Yang Liu

Yang Liu H.Balck

You can use my old Matrixmap for an big map for Rise and... upgrade H.Balck with all the units from Sandris.
    An full upgrade of this mod you find on page 209 (Nov 2008). Do you like this upload file new ?

download: (Matrix map Europe to india = 362x362)
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-1739212/Kampf-um-Rom.zip.html

Michael :)

20. areon

areon Chieftain

If you look at the units in the editor it will show how parthians/persians require ninive and csetphion(sp lulz) to build their cavalry units whatever version they are at. If they lose those resources in any of their cities they then can't build cavalry there but build an "inferior" unit that doesn't require those resources. The bellator meso upgrades into cavalry.

Moral of the story, DON'T take those cities or allow persians to take cities that aren't connected with trade routes or you will spend the rest of your game swamped in the east instead of in europe.