Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

And on top of it, the HUGE amounts of cities in civ II, which somehow happen to exist IRL, don't quite fit with the newer ver$ions of civ.

WOW.....seems like a great game, but takes toooo long to int. and between turns lengthy....any suggestions? some way to limit graphics?

I've found that the time between turns for this mod is directly linked to processor speed/power, and not graphics.

Not just that, but it depends on the amount of units, traded resources, cities producing stuff, population beign born, combat, etc. etc.

I should also mention that my hard drive is on it's last leg too; although I would not attribute the slow game speed very much to that. I also noticed that when Germania or Goth were at war (at worst case with each other), the turn times were even slower; evidently it takes the AI longer to move units than to just leave them idle. One thing you might want to try if you haven't already is to change your preferences to not view enemy moves.

I can't answer why it is much faster for other people. I still remember one of the slowest turns... I waited for an hour and finally gave up. I went to sleep, came back 8 hours later, and it was still waiting. It finally finished a couple hours later after I was done getting ready for work.

I took a look at this scenario and it seemed incredibly interesting, but I could never play a mod that had 8 hour long IBT's...

The time between turn is directly related to processor power/speed, so if you could OC your processor it would help significantly.

Even if my computer could run things 32 times better (15 minutes IBT) thats still unacceptable to me.

I'm really sorry pinktilapia, you've made just about everything I want to see in a scenario. I could go on and wax about how even the small things like the incorporation of large amounts of latin kick the crap out of the C3C Rome scenarios, but the technical limitations make it far too impractical for me to play

What turn number are you on? Even when this scenario first came put, my computer at the time did better than that.

I don't know the specific turn number but they are fairly lengthy... If IBTs take as long as the above posters say they do in the future I might just stop now. I really can't have one of my few available sources to do homework etc. in college tied up for hours.

I understand; I just think if you are experiencing such long wait times early, something else is going on, that's all. I would always stop playing, too, towards the end game.

Looks great:goodjob:. Quick question: Do I need Conquests alone, or will Complete Edition work as well?

Regarding the discussion about long IBTs, I'm not experiencing that at all. Using a comp that's about 8 years old.

Looks great:goodjob:. Quick question: Do I need Conquests alone, or will Complete Edition work as well?

Civ3 Complete will work.

Conquests is just an expansion of Civ3. If you have just the Conquests expansion, you also need the original Civ3 with it. Civ3 plus Conquests will work.

Thanks!!

I'm playing this great mod but the game freezes at this point.
C3C v1.22
rfre v1.1.323
win7 x64

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Attachments

• rome 3.SAV
    760 KB · Views: 175
A coupla screenshots would come in handy, people here have usually tweaked their own installation so much that errors aren't always reproducible.

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted a misadventure in Persia or Germania? I am not sure if you can transport legions via sea around the ancient forests, but what about Persia? I know that the Parthian 99.20 garrisons are potentially impossible to defeat, but I don't imagine it is impossible. It would probably take way to much manpower and would probably doom the east.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried it.

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted a misadventure in Persia or Germania? I am not sure if you can transport legions via sea around the ancient forests, but what about Persia? I know that the Parthian 99.20 garrisons are potentially impossible to defeat, but I don't imagine it is impossible. It would probably take way to much manpower and would probably doom the east.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried it.

Good question! I've seen the RNG do some crazy things, so I too wonder if anyone has ever tried, and succeeded at such a conquest.

Good question! I've seen the RNG do some crazy things, so I too wonder if anyone has ever tried, and succeeded at such a conquest.
I imagine that such an endeavor could only be undertaken if the opportunity arose. It would take many ballistae and legions to even consider it.

As the ONLY alpha tester for RFRE, i've been playing this game for a LONG time. However, in all that time I've only BEATEN the game once. I usually have had to restart after some changes came out. The first time i came close I held myself to rome's historical borders, but the pressure of persia, germany, the goths, and the picts (to an extent) along with my failing economy and limited military became too much. eventually i cracked and lost britain, leading to lack of a luxury and happiness problems. Then Germany declared war and overran gaul and dacia. I recovered a little in the east, but they got too close to italy and i realized i would not be able to hold them off long enough for the Byz. victory. so i quit, in defeat.

THE POINT of all that is that in the SINGLE game I won, I pursued an "always war" attitude with persia. The second I finished up with egypt i launched into mesopotamia. I pushed them back as far as i could but then realized i COULD take their lands, but not with the manpower currently there. So i build up a TON of catapults and imported a bunch of praetorians. those were the key. anyway, when the forces were there i marched from city to city with most of my forces, leaving about 3 legios + aux behind for defense. i bombarded the persian cities until i could use the praet's for the initial assault on the weakened defenders. since they can withdraw i was able to use more than one of them without loss and was able to take city after city. My war started around the time of augustus (taking egypt) and lasted until constantine, with only a single peace treaty in between (for the happiness). but i did it. i took every last persian city. with that set i didn't have to defend my SE border and was able to bring my ENTIRE HUGE army back to europe to add to the limes defense. my army was so overwhelming when united that germany's 2 wars were completely unsuccessful and saw them lose dozens of their strongest units with ZERO casualties from me. i got my peace treaties with no loss of land. I was also able to add a small garrison to britain and never lost that. Further, Africa was never an issue either, as they were overawed with my overall strength and never declared war.

so basically, it is a MONUMENTAL undertaking, but the conquest of persia = game won. freeing up that huge eastern force that usually develops is KEY. its literally half of your army in some games. with those forces available for other duties, no one can touch you.

The map should be redesigned sfor historical accuracy, if you conquer Persia you face threats from India and the White Huns… :evil:

Top Bottom