Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

I also find phalanxes way too good. If you want the macedonion phalanxes to be better than legions, then make them a different unit.

Also, when is the patch coming out?

I agree... if the Phalanx is not AS powerful then it wouldn't be fun... It is already still easy to take over the Greeks...

I have not found it at all easy to take over the Greeks. I've been over there a long time and the battles have been tough, to say the least. The fact that consular armies lost their blitz makes capturing cities take much longer than it should. Ballistae help a bit to offset that but it's still problematic. If I had not reduced the pop. cost for velites to "0" I hate to think where I'd be in my own war.

I was fighting the phalanxes outside my city, King Coltrane, in case you misread my post. I was on clear terrain, no rivers dividing us when I attacked, and when I was defending, I had a river in my favor. There is no way a phalanx should be stronger than a legion - it's proven by results historically to be inaccurate.

I was invaded by Macedonia and they came at me with a good 10-15 phalanxes, plus elephants and a half dozen cataphracts. I barely survived. Conquering them took a long time as it was not easy to root phalanxes out of cities either. I do think cataphracts and cavalry in general (with the exception of the Numidians) are a bit overrated as the Romans never had any trouble with cavalry (excepting, again, the Numidians) until they ran into the Parthian horse archers. The Gallic chariots and cavalry are a bit overpowered too, for that matter.

At this early date, it should not be suicide for a legion to be caught by its enemies in the open.

Quick question - does RFRE include a Wonder which confers a large defensive value to the city of Constantinople? I have played previous RFRE versions twice to the point where I was constructing the Constantinople Wonder, but each time the game crashed for one reason or another, so I have never had the chance to fully develop that particular city. I know RFRE has the Hadrian's Wall Wonder which can be built in Britain and a Wall Wonder which can be built in Rome, but is there something similar for Constantinople? If not, it might be a nice thing to add, since Constantinople was unconquerable until 1453 (other than a single sack during the Crusades) and it took gunpowder weapons to batter down the three layers of walls.

hmm, hrafknell, my only advise is to be agressive but smart. place legios on hills before attacking and especially be at peace with them while they have their main army stack on your border. if nec. use RoP to get their army. my experience has shown me that w/out an army most nations fall easily in RFRE. but yes i agree that phalanxes, cav, and chariots are a bit too powerful on attack

also, gringo, i think constantinopolis, the wonder adds 100% to defense

Asclepius said:
A quick, random, thought....How about adding a preplaced wonder in the Germanic city of Angliae or Saxonia which autobuilds a few Longships before going obselete? It might encourage the Germans to raid Britannia or Gaul :) I don't know whether the AI would actually use a transport without support (giving it a high defence might help) but I can't see the AI ever building a ship itself so this might be worth trying?

I will add that. I tried to push the Germanics to build ships but indeed, that wonder could help simulating Anglo-Saxons invasions.

*Socii: I need more feedback to make a decision folks.
*Phalanx & other units: while I can agree the legion are still underrated compared to what they should be considering AI units, I will not weaken Greek civs further, the East is already easy enough to take as it is. I don't think one should compare units from Rome and the AI statwise if looking for historicity. You should look at their respective achievements at the end of a war. Hrafnkell, if you suffer of too much bad 'luck', it makes perfect sense to reload your game rather than having to restart the whole thing.

Gringoesteban said:
Quick question - does RFRE include a Wonder which confers a large defensive value to the city of Constantinople? I have played previous RFRE versions twice to the point where I was constructing the Constantinople Wonder, but each time the game crashed for one reason or another, so I have never had the chance to fully develop that particular city. I know RFRE has the Hadrian's Wall Wonder which can be built in Britain and a Wall Wonder which can be built in Rome, but is there something similar for Constantinople? If not, it might be a nice thing to add, since Constantinople was unconquerable until 1453 (other than a single sack during the Crusades) and it took gunpowder weapons to batter down the three layers of walls.
Indeed, Constantinopolis gives a 100% bonus to defence, it shouldn't fall easily.

Yeah, I meant Enslave, I forgot to say that, which is sweet for Pirates btw... Anyways... I did't even use Conscript before actually having cities where I was annoyed by too much population, but didn't need to, since I cheated to win the 2nd Carthaginian War ( I specifically gave my units extra attacking turns using Powerbar, because my medium sized defensive army couldn't attack enough to kill any of the 6-7 Barcae (and a few others) invading N. Italy) and we all know how successful the Romans would have been on the defense, so instead of a great reinactment I now am still playing something else. I haven't had to use Powerbar since, although I feel free to reload, because of the same reasons of impossible calculation... I actual reload a lot, too much, but its Civ3's fault. I've been playing Civ on a regular basis since Civ2, off and on in many obsessive binges- the point being that in my opinion I think Civ3 has balance issues that cannot be resolved, involving unit stacking and AI stupidity. [Don't get me started on the game speed!!] The AI either cheats so badly things are ridiculous or the game is cake, but if you reload the ridiculous you can somewhat make things fun. The way Civ3 changes the game between difficulties isn't very practical. It's pretty ridiculous when the Player needs to push a cheat button that gives tons of money to the AI and makes the AI finish every building, in order to keep the game fun and make the AI a challenge/threat- the very reason I first used Powerbar was to design scenarios for myself through those cheats. My old favorite: PowerBar+Civ3Editor (what ever happened to Events?)+The Ancient Medditerranean Mod (cool Mod!), but now my ultimate and best experience with Civ3 has been this Mod (Wesesth ge hal, RFRE) which I spend far too much of my time on, but I enjoy it, sorry if it annoys you guys ;o) Wow, I am way off of topic, but my other point is that RFRE makes me reload/redesign someone else's scenario far lesser than any other Mod... in fact I try NOT to mod. the Mod. and it works, thanks to careful diligence and great vision.

=o) Sorry, the rambling continues... I can confidently say that once Rome has a decent power-base, everything is in .84 pretty evenly balanced and the playability is great! I am starting Antoines Golden Age around 100 AD, about to invade Britain and about to grab all my other late conquests (Persia, Pontus, Dacia, Germania). My army is huge and my cities built up, my Research quick (even if late) and I still have lots of income so I'm pumping out units in accordance to Support, Shield Cost, and Population.

I think the def. bonus for Persia/Parthia will be cool, because they should stick around as a challenge, besides historical necessity- those Parthians, if only we really knew... I like the idea of Constantinople being able to withstand any of the brutal invasion waves that can happen for the nice little end to the scenario. I also like the idea of a ship producing Wonder for Germania... Ok, I'm done.

D'oh! Mistype. Wesath ge hale, to Pink and all the forum posters of RFRE

Thanks a lot for your rumbling Blitz, although I don't speak German lol, people appreciating a mod is really the best thing that can happen to its modder, make me feel all these hours have been useful. The feedback and ideas thrown on this thread have been amazing all along and surely explain a lot why the game is finally getting balanced (although Hrafnkell might dispute that point with me, I am sure ;)).

I am now working at finalizing the next patch package (which will be zipped next Monday). It will contain all the current patches (0.8, 0.83, 0.85, 0.86). But I still need the make a decision for the Socii (moderate stats with no support vs. good stats and support). Otherwise, the new wonder is in, the Parthians inner cities are located on a new "Persian Heartland" terrain, and the game hopefully will not lag too much during the great invasions.

"Wesaþ ye hal" [þ = th] or later "wæs hæil" is an Anglo-Saxon greeting among friends normally shouted before drinking, a bit like 'salute', meaning literally "(I wish you) good health". Now, I'm sure you all wanted to know that! ;)

Can you create a smaller map because i can't run the Mod :(

I suggest than you create a "random version of this mod" plz :king:

I have restarted more times than I care to remember. I sometimes wonder if we are playing the same game. In my current game, it took me 100 years to conquer the balkans (i mean here, Achaia, Athenae, Illyria, Macedonia) and that was the work of 5-6 Roman armies and various other units. It usually took several turns to capture a city since consular armies no longer have blitz. For the same reason, it took me 10 years to capture Knossos alone, and about 15 years total to capture Crete. That was with two consular armies, every ship I could muster (most sunk on contact since a trireme summa is like pitting a canoe against a battleship when you're fighting pirates) and several velites and a stray legion or two, all I could manage to ferry there since my transport vessels were sunk the moment they reached Crete's shores.

I will definitely start the game over again, but I often wonder at the aggressive behavior of the folks I'm fighting compared to what I read here. Might be a good idea to know what difficulty levels people are using for a better comparison. I might be expecting unrealistic results or I might have the most incredible streak of ongoing bad luck in human history.

Hrafnkell said:
Might be a good idea to know what difficulty levels people are using for a better comparison.
I play Dictator level. However, I modified the BIQ to customize a midpoint between Consul and Dictator. Consul was too easy, but after looking at the BIQ, Dictator seemed to be a big step up....

Anyway, the changes that I made involved the number of bonus units the AI receives. Within the RFRE BIQ, this varies by difficulty level, and the AI gets bonus units and more free support as the difficulty level increases. If I remember right, in Consul the AI has zero (or very few) extra units and no benefit, whereas under Dictator the AI starts with extra offensive units and extra defensive units, and furthermore gets a higher number of free units before support is required. What I did take the average of the Consul and Dictator default numbers, and I updated the BIQ with those.

Pink, I am playing v0.85 and hit a possible bug. When I decended into Civil War so that I could change my government to Trium Republic, my cities suddenly lost access to the "slave" resource, even though that resource is within my territory in southeastern Spain, connected both by road and port to the rest of my Empire. My cities had access to it before I went into Civil War, but now it is not showing up on the city screens. I cannot build slave improvements anywhere. I double checked the continuity of the road, that the harbors were not blockaded, that no enemy unit was on top of the slave resource tile, and that no slave unrest was disrupting that tile. Everything seems to be in order. I emerged from Civil War and am now in Trium Republic, but still do not have the slave resource. Very strange.

@Asclepius
Santé! :)

@Hrafnkell
The game is hard, even in Consul, for me too. So, I will go for the better Socii and I am hopefull it will help Rome a bit. I can add blitz back to the consular legion if you think it will make a difference. I will rework the difficulty levels, to diminish the difference between them. Try a lower difficulty level next time.

Meanwhile, navis piratica and triremis summa have exactly the same stats in A, D, HP, so it is just the AI cheating is you loose too many battles against them... Nothing I can do about it!

@Gringoesteban
That is very strange. I will look into it, but I don't see how a resource could be linked to a government. Anybody else met a similar 'bug'?

@Lachlan
Why can't you run the mod? Just be sure to be patient as the game initiate the first time, it takes 10 min on my computer to start the thing up, and I am sure it can climb to 20 min on small configurations.
Otherwise I am very unsure how this game would fare on a random map. Everything has been tuned and balanced to the map and historical setting. It would make no-sense outside a scenario. I have done a bit of work on a punic wars scenario, but it is a long way to be finished since my priority remains to release a working v1.0 of RFRE. Beside, I am not sure it will be much faster than the 'mod' itself.

Top Bottom