Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Hrafnkell said:
Has anybody encountered this? It has happened to me several times:

I am at war with the western Greeks (Magna Graecia) which of course, brings the Eastern Greeks into the war as well. The Eastern Greeks will make peace overtures, which I accept, but i remain at war withi the W. Greeks. I attack them and am attacked and the very next turn, they are approaching me and demanding to know why I am near their cities and that this is an act of war. I am then obliged to declare war on them all over again, which of course, brings the E. Greeks back into it. It's some kind of crazy loop.
If you make peace with one party in a locked alliance, then you should automatically be given a peace treaty with the other member of the locked alliance as well. In other words, if you sign a peace treaty with the Eastern Greeks, then you should automatically be at peace with the Western Greeks, too.

I figured out a while back that once you get the churces you end up with 1 happy pop. I dunno, I just hate burning christians. :D

Some RFRE Wonders can only be constructed in one specific city depending on which resource(s) are within the city radius. Examples of these Wonders include Hadrian's Wall, the three Wonders that generate the Arc Fabrix engineers, the Wonder that generates the Caesar Legion Army, etc. Sometimes, after discovering a tech that allows one to build a Wonder, it is difficult to determine which city it can actually be built in. The Player is forced to analyze the map and enter the production screens of numerous cities until figuring out where the Wonder can actually be built. I find it quite frustrating....

Pink, as part of the v0.86 release, would it be possible to update the Civilopedia entry for these Wonders, and add a sentence to the Civilopedia description saying which city (by name) the Wonder can be built in. That way, when the Player discovers the appropriate tech, he can click on the Wonder icon and thereby go to the Civilopeida and see where to build the Wonder without having to memorize resource placement on the RFRE map.

On my game in .84, it's 271 AD and I am out of Legions in Britain and scrambling to put more heavy troops there before Hadrian's Wall falls (btw, I like how the Wonder is anchored)... the Pict multi-units are pretty aggressive and annoying, since more Picts are spawned constantly from victory.. I love the hisoricism...
I just conquered Sarmigethusa and lower Dacia in time before the Hidden Nationality units of Scythia sneakily took even more cities.
The Germans are sending lots of Eques Predators that make me glad of my Limes, which I'm barely building in time... My Imperial Legions are getting picked off like little flies, but it's ok, because my economy is sooooo bad... only 10% Research and I'm barely making gold to use and I had to scrap almost every Triumphus...
Good times, though... So far things look good... gonna be a WHILE until the Constantine tech and my much needed stuff... I am still 14 turns away from Crisis of the Third Century...
I hope the Parthians will stay quiet, although I plan to be better ready... a slow buildup, can't afford much else...
I can't extend my reach with a road for Barbarian Goods just yet...
The lag is bad, but not terrible... average 1 min to end turn...

blitzkrieg80 said:
... the Pict multi-units are pretty aggressive and annoying, since more Picts are spawned constantly from victory.. I love the hisoricism...
I agree that the Praedatore Picti (PP) unit is a good part of the game. It certainly makes things interesting.

However, in my opinion, the PP unit is a little too powerful. Perhaps we could take away a couple HP, and furthermore have PP's enslave something besides another PP. (They could enslave a good, tough, multi-move unit, but not something as dangerous and hard to kill as a PP). When the Player loses a unit in battle to a PP, and then that PP enslaves a second PP, the Player can quickly find himself in a difficult spot....

Part of the problem is my own fault; I did not conquer Britain soon enough. In my v0.85 game, I invaded Britain around AD 300 and consolidated my hold on the island in the AD 320's. I have not yet had time to build a road network or forts or Hadrian's Wall. Plus, due to my tardiness, the Britains had quite a long time to build many PP units due to my delay in invading the island.

Regarding Britain, RFRE does not really motivate the Player to invade it for any other reason than the fact that it is there. There are no resources which cannot be found elsewhere. The Player can build Hadrian's Wall, but that is a defensive structure that does not give any benefit to the rest of the empire. The island is so far from Rome that corruption is a problem, so the cities on the island cannot produce enough units or cash to have any impact on the game. I find my self sacrificing many units in Britain that could have otherwise been used to strengthen my Rhine defensive line. Can we put something in Britain to make it worthwhile to conquer, maybe some kind of resource a couple squares north of London, or maybe have Hadrian's Wall confer an additional benefit to the Player besides just defense of that city, or maybe give some transport ships to the Britains and/or the Gauls so that Rome must conquer Britain to eliminate the threat of seaborne invasions of the European mainland?

I know the issue of conscription as been adressed a couple of pages before, but i just had an idea that could improve Rome's early strengh. Put 6 to 10 units called Plebe (poor roman cultivator who immigrated to the city in search of a job because slaves where cheaper to use in a field :D ) in Rome in the beginning. These units(immobile, no support,0A,0D) then upgrade for 50-100g to a conscripted Legio (6A,4D,1M, no join city,+2hp, support). To represent the fact that you can augment your population with this immigration, make the Plebe unit have the join city option (adds 1 or 2 citizens). So you got to choose between more population or more soldiers. It can be spawned every 20 turns by the civitas building to represent the gradual ability to conscript Legio everywhere in the Empire.

Another thing on this subject is that I never heard of conscription in the Imperial era of legions, so when you reach the Age of Augustus tech, instead of upgrading to a Legio, make the Plebe unit upgrade to a unit with the same ability but with no upgrade cost to represent barbarian integration in the Empire. So to put it simpler, make the Plebe unit upgrade to the Plebe, which is the same thing. :crazyeye:

Apart from that, I just wanted to thank Pinktilapia for a great mod!!! Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

A few random thoughts on minor points....

* Should we bring back the ability for the Romans to build a Colonus (settler) and/or have a Colonus spawned in Rome say every 40 years? Historically, the Romans did set up colonies, such as communities of retired soldiers and their families. In v0.85, the Player can build a city with a Legion, but given its shield cost, a Legion is a pretty expensive "settler".

* Could we bring the Mercenary Legion attack up to A7 from A6? It used to be A8 back in beta version 0.6. The Merc Legion is already disadvantaged by the fact that the later barbarian units it fights have A12+, lots of HP, and M2 or M3 giving them the ability to retreat from battle.

* The RFRE Civilopedia says something like "the best defense a player can get is behind a river". However, defending behind a river confers +50%(?) defense bonus whereas highlands terrain gives +80%. The numbers themselves - the defense percent - are fine, but I just wanted to point out the inaccurate comment in the civilopedia.

* Would it be possible to rename the Roman units called Miles and Eques Alari to differentiate the first generation (Gaul) from the second generation (German)? Adding the word "Gaul" and "Germania" to the end of the existing unit names would solve the problem. The way things are in v0.8X, right clicking on a stack of units might show a bunch of Miles Alari, but then the Player has to look closely at the pop up to examine the attack and defense stats of each unit to see how many of each type are in the stack.

gringoesteban said:
* Should we bring back the ability for the Romans to build a Colonus (settler) and/or have a Colonus spawned in Rome say every 40 years? Historically, the Romans did set up colonies, such as communities of retired soldiers and their families. In v0.85, the Player can build a city with a Legion, but given its shield cost, a Legion is a pretty expensive "settler".

Better yet, you could go with my earlier suggestion of instead allowing the "Fabri" unit to build cities (instead of legions). It would make sense for an architect and his work force to be able to design and construct (or reconstruct, if the city was destroyed) new cities, would it not?

IXIRandyIXI said:
Better yet, you could go with my earlier suggestion of instead allowing the "Fabri" unit to build cities (instead of legions). It would make sense for an architect and his work force to be able to design and construct (or reconstruct, if the city was destroyed) new cities, would it not?
Having a Fabri able to build a city makes sense, because I believe they cost 2 pop to build. However, their 160 shield cost makes them extremely expensive (even more so than a legion) to use as a "settler".

I love the ideas about the plebes. Also, having fabri build cities is smart. I think that Merc legions should get plus DEF, not ATK.

What if you needed a resource from Britain to build one of the wonders at the end?

Thanks, Loki. I borrowed it, though, from the Norvegr website ;)
Lots of good points, Gringoesteban, especially concerning Britain... I find myself not really caring if I lose it, other than holding onto the Wonder I already built...

@Ciceronian

Could you look into Gringoesteban’s request to rename the Roman units called Miles and Eques Alari to differentiate the first generation (Gaul) from the second generation (German) by adding the word "Gaul" and "Germanic" to the end of the existing unit names? Good luck with your examns, I am glad I am done with that stuff :)

@Loki & Gringo on Christian persecution

The pedia already briefly explain that concept of Christian persecution and churches. Following Gringo’s comment, I just added the persecutions as a prerequisite for the proclamation of the Antonine’s Constitution (that wonder which grant citizenship to the whole empire). Not very logical but it should work.

@Gringo

Although I never played RTW, I feel you are really generous indeed in comparing RFRE with it, thanks!

As for naming the anchored cities for some wonders, I could do it, but is it really necessary? The texts in the pedia already give a clue (or the name of the wonder does instead, such as for the different Limes). Of course, if you make me a list, I might update all that very quickly ;)

As for Britain, agreed for the Pictii (a bit less HP, and no enslave of other Pictii). I am not so sure we should make Britain too important. Rome did evacuate it for protecting the Gauls. Maybe putting something of an incentive for the Romans to occupy it for a time (as long as there is no Pictii invasion). Ore was the historical reason for the conquest of Britain. I will look into it.

The merc legion could get a boost in attack, but would it be usefull. It is your super defender so why risk it in attack. Plus, as a no-support unit, it is already just too good. I wish to force the player to use its heavy cavalry to carry attack by then, as it was in history. Let’s discuss it for a future version.

As for founding cities, legionaries were often the basis of any new settlement, either as veteran retirees, or as builder of a fort which attracted people around. Certainly engineer has a role to play once the village turned into a city. I can flag them with the create city ability, but with their high cost, it is unlikely anybody will use them for that. Keep in mind RFRE is certainly not a game where settlers are important.

@Hrafnkell

I think you will love next patch. Rome will have several new advantages for the Punic Wars:

- Drafting a good Miles Socius
- Having a new wonder (called for now SPQR) which make 2 people happy in every city (in order to control war weariness and help in keeping the pace with conquests) and spawn 1 legion every 8 turns
- Consular legions with 1HP more, and blitz
- Mare Nostrum spawning 1 corvus, improved and enslaving ships, once every 3 turns

Cherry on the top: it seems Orthanc is interested creating a corvus unit!!! :D

@Blitzkrieg

Although the advances doesn’t say so, by 225AC, you are in the middle of your crisis of the 3rd century (marauding barbarians, crashing economy). What is still to come are unhappy citizen as well (through the wonder). Stick to a core professional army, upgrade as many legion as acceptable into mercenaries, and your economy should have a break. Going ahead to Diocletian as quickly as possible is more important that maintaining your huge old imperial army. Reform! Now, the crisis has yet to be extensively tested and tuned… Players went through and survived for what I know, give us details!

@Capt. Beaver

Sounds like a good idea. I will not include in the imminent patch due to the changes already carried-out early game (let’s test these first). But surely, I will consider adding something along line with your suggestion :)

Ok, back to business:

A new all-included patch has been released: 0.9

It should be very simple to install, just follow the instructions on the first post. Sorry for the inconvenience some faced with the old patch 0.8 and its wrong path.

All those with the updated 0.85 still have to download the full package again (15MB) :eek: Tell me if it is too much of a problem, but I have little time now to create yet another patch.

I hope it goes all fine, let me know!

If you want to increase the amount of slaves, you could make it so that elite units can produce servi when they win a battle.

Top Bottom