1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

Has anyone played v0.8X past the year 375AC?

2. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Do miles socii require support or not? in .84, the one I'm playing right now, the pedia says they do, but they don't actually.

3. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Asclepius, you scared the hell out of me (got your unedited post through e-mail) ;)
    Loki, servus are already created by elite units, at least in theory: I have never seen it happen. Miles Socius' support flag is checked correctly, so you should be supporting them.

4. minke

minke Chieftain

Is there any way to take out Army's ability to join settlements? I accidently joined my armies a bunch of times because I had ballistas bombarding enemy units outside my fortified city. Honestly, we only get 2-3 armies anyway in our games, and there is no way I would join them into cities.

5. minke

minke Chieftain

I have had many servus created by elite units. It's kind of weird but I guess since you dont let ppl generate leaders that is okay.

6. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Another way to increase Rome's slavery would be to allow them to draft servi at times. It could symbolize people being turned into slaves because they were in debt.

7. gringoesteban

Miles Socii did not require support in my v0.85 game.

8. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

I tried a game with the changes I described in my earlier post with version .85 It simply doesn't work : I used up all my conscripted legio to conquer cisalpine gaul :D . So it just gave me an early boost in my conquests. I had also enabled blitz for my consular armies but then I ended up conquering all of Carthaginian Spain before 250 BC. Its too powerful for early Rome and beside with the new SPQR wonder, it should be ok.

BTW, I dont know if it happened in any of your games, but Illyrian Pirates are so succesfull in this one that they are killing every ship coming out of Cartage's harbor. Imagine a fleet of 3-4 qinquireme and 1-2 summaes getting sunk by 6 pirates spawning even more pirates :eek: . I think that there should be a limit to the number of pirate spawned in combat with the pirate spawning a ship which can spawn a ship which cant.

9. IXIRandyIXI

IXIRandyIXI Dirty Warmonger

Hm, I missed those posts about Rome Total War. That's what's been keeping me away from RFRE for the past couple weeks (well, that and exams)! :lol: It's a truly awesome game, combining both turn-based strategy with the battle aspects of a real-time strategy. I find it really enjoyable; the graphics during battles are simply amazing!

The original ("vanilla") version of RTW is way too easy, though (e.g. you could beat the game by/before 200 B.C.). The "Rome Total Realism" mod -- located at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=53 -- makes the game a little slower and harder so that you don't just run over all the other civilizatons. :D Then you can try the Roma add-on mod (for Rome Total Realism) that makes the game a REAL challenge -- starting at 280 B.C., you face Pyrrhus' armies invading the Italian peninsula at full strength with your much smaller Roman armies. It took me about 2 failed battles against his armies to finally wear them down enough to defeat his massive army! :eek:

For anyone who loves this time period, I'd definitely recommend giving Rome Total War (and the mods I mentioned above) a try. It's great! :D

10. gringoesteban

IXIRandyIXI, thanks for the reference to Rome Total Realism http://www.rometotalrealism.com/ I'll try it out this weekend because it looks like it could address many the reasons why I could never seem to get to into the original game.

11. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Haha. I dont know if Pink will appreciate you taking all of his testers away Randy. :)

12. IXIRandyIXI

IXIRandyIXI Dirty Warmonger

Woops! :lol:

13. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

.9 is great. I love starting out with an army.

14. blitzkrieg80

blitzkrieg80 ðrymes ðēoden

I have issues in .84... I can't degrade my Imperial Legions, because the Mercenary Legions can't build roads or forts, which I very much need, not being able to make conquests on time- what's the logic behind that anyway?? Anyone can build a road, nonetheless any warrior (even barbarian) can build a decent fort...

Also- I am hating the Farber Arcis, because it seems like an inferior Faber which takes the same support and it can't build roads (or mines) !! The Farber Arcis can't even compete in building forts as fast as a couple Legions... They are USELESS to me.
    I just noticed that Miles Soci can build basic forts, which I like, but you can't build them later... I would like to see that concept in other units.

15. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

I gave up on my first game.

War with Epirus:
    Went pretty quick. They razed a city though. :\

War with Cathrage:
    Managed to get Lilybium.

War with Illyria:
    Completly wiped them out for there fine timber. Lost one of the starting armies.

War with Southern Celts:
    Didn't go so well. I was also at war with Carthgrage at the time and they were at war with each other so I got another city from Carthrage (It was originally Celtic). Lost another army.

War with Carthrage:
    Capture all of the islands excpet for the one in the western mediteranian.

War with Western Greeks:
    Captured Syracuse quite easily. Bolivium was an @$$ though. Never captured it.

War with Northern Gaul:
    They came in with like 20 chairots. Gave up then.

It was pretty fun. But I will definatly need to try again.

16. blitzkrieg80

blitzkrieg80 ðrymes ðēoden

OK, after having scrapped all of my Farber Arcis and regaining a substantial amount of my economy, I just noticed you can upgrade the Farber Arcis to a Farber for 0 gold... so that's cool and I withdraw my complaint, since you can easily make them USEFUL :D

17. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

My war with Epirote also went quickly. Of, course, my game is on consul difficulty.

@Pink
    Does Senatus Populusque Romanus not fit or something?
    Why not just spell it out?

18. minke

minke Chieftain

I tried Rome: Total Realism Mod a while ago, but it didnt work and just CTD every time.
    switched back to MTW: VI with XL Mod! Fun Fun!!

but enough thread hijacking.. Heheh sorry.

Oh snap .9 came out? Gotta try this now....

19. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

I'm liking .9 so far. I have not tinkered with the bombardments because I wanted to try it in its own right. I went back to the easiest level and have destroyed Carthage in a 100 year war (nonstop). I also took out Numidia and Illyria and just went to war against Macedonia in 71 BCE. In the words of the immortal Thomas Hobbes, it will be "nasty, brutish, and short." The rest of Greece will quickly follow. I have all sorts of neat foreign units in my order of battle now, like slingers and Numidian cavalry. I'm behind schedule but I plan to catch up quickly.

20. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Do you think that you could improve latifundia a bit? I often find that I have no reason to build them since the bad outways the good.