1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

HI, to all!
    I have just begun a game with v9 and when checking
    Civpedia of Castrum Imperatoris in Rome I see that
    Advances: Conversion of Constantine
    Resources: Byzantium

How is that, in BC 275?

2. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

Edboltz, your ideas are great. the airport one i actually suggested something like it a while back, but not as eloquently as you put it, and again, i love it. though i think preplacing it as a wonder in various cities would be best. and yes a wonder, so you wouldnt be able to destroy it. as far as the cities having wonders for diff gov'ts, i like that idea too, a lot in fact. we need to come up with ideas to fill that, but it would def. be cool. and also, i like exactly what you said for imp. roads.

pink, i have a diff idea to simulate the inheritance of pergamum. i know its not a great idea, but im sure ill have more. ok, so give them defense units that are preplaced and unbuildable. put an anchor under pergamum that is required for the legio pompey wonder to encourage rome to get there fast. and dont let them build any units. since they will be so easy to take and produce a lot of money, they will fall quickly and relatively painlessly.

thats all for now.

3. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

I believe that kings can be built incertain cases.

4. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

You are supposed to rebuild the Castrum Imperatoris in Byzantium at a certain point.

5. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

That is probably the way to go. Still, it will be hard to ask Pergamum and Bithynia to wait for the Romans to reach Byzantium before culture flipping. They have mighty neighbours which might well get them well before Rome will ever sail the Aegean... This will need to be tested extensively.

There is a civil war which reflects both the civil trouble in Italy and Sulla fight for dominance over Marius.

About Strategic Redeployement

I tend to think I won't add imperial roads. These are just too much since an unlimited number of troops can transit through them at any time. It would be highly irrealistic (and very unbalancing) for Rome to be able to transfer all its troops to each part of the Empire every year. The great harbors (airports) will be added. Only 'civilized' units will be able to use them. As I see it now, these ports will be preplaced, but the Portus Naves of RFRE will also be flagged as airport. I might have to unflag the airport capacity of capitals, (which will remove the ability from barbarians to trade resources, unless... yes, I got an idea :)). Ostia will of course get that flag!

Feel free to exterminate them. I could add a Jugurtha leader there if I had the time... The Vandals were a Germanic tribe, but it might be nice to have one Numidian city lost in the Atlas which could in time spawn Germanic Incursatores since it is very unlikely the barbarians will ever cross Gibraltar! Good idea!

...!

Don't loose Rome before getting to Constantine, or the Republic will be a mess. These palace settings are to reflects the change of Capital from Roma to Byzantium (Constantinople) in the late period of the game.

Let us know how your game goes!

That would be the easy way to push Rome eastward. Maybe do that in addition to edblotz's idea.

Great idea but a lot of work :eek: (I am "just" trying to get a working 1.0 !). I will need help on that, because the possibilities are many and my time very limited right now.

That would be a nice possibility for using railroads but I don't see how to implement that.

I think the Pirate issue has been addressed in .9 (at least the spawning rate has been reduced). I will need feedback to see if they are still too many pirate around (I would then remove their enslave ability).

Faster sea movement will remove most of the possibilities for strategy and tactics since you won't be able to see the enemy coming most of the time, and invasions will become highly unpredictable, while securing the seas will ask much more efforts. I think the 'airlift' ability for some improvements will do fine to simulate naval move in peace periods.

6. minke

minke Chieftain

I saw a lot of Barb troops in Arabia, are they supposed to do anything? Looks as if they couldnt even traverse the desert?

7. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

I hate to mention it Pink, but with all of these new ideas, you might not get a 1.0 out for a while. ;)

Also, I agree that railroads should be removed. There is no way to control them or make them obsolete. Air ports on the other hand...

If you figure out how to do any of the king units, you might as well use jugurtha also.

8. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

I have an idea from the Barbarossa Mod (a simulation of the 1941-1945 war between the Nazis and the Soviets). In that Mod, the Player and the AI cannot build railroads ("RR"), but some limited RR lines were pre-placed on the map at the start of the game to link the heart of Germany to Romania and Poland (the eastern extent of the Nazi empire before Hitler stupidly decided to attack Russia). Some parts of Germany, and the entire Russian side of the map, have no RR, only normal roads. The idea was to represent the change of RR gauge, partisan activity that disrupted German RR lines on the eastern front, and finally to make the Mod playable and prevent an entire military force from moving from one side of the map to another in a single turn. Within the Mod, workers could not build RR, only roads, so the RR lines that were pre-placed could not be extended.

We could try a similar approach in RFRE to simulate "imperial roads". RR lines could be unbuildable, but the starting map might have a few select lines. For example, there should be a north-south RR line connecting the southernmost Roman city with the northernmost Roman city at the Cisalpine Gaul border. Maybe 250BC is a little early to have an "imperial road", but I nevertheless this could work out well. Perhaps there could be other, short, RR lines placed elsewhere on the map, too. For example, maybe a line could link the southernmost Ilyrian city with each of the independent city states located in Greece. Perhaps there could be an RR line running from Byzantium to the northeasternmost Dacian city. These lines would not be connected to one another, but it would help move units around certain spots on the map.

Pirates are okay in v0.9. I lost my a good part of my navy in a series of battles in the Black Sea around 300AC, but until that time, I had no issues. I let my navy dwindle in size over time, so losing control of the Black Sea was my own fault. I'd say keep the pirate settings as-is.

Which units would have the airlift box checked? Would all units be "airliftable", or only Roman units and not allied units? If I remember the Civilization software correctly, only one unit can go into or out of an airport in any given turn, so if that is the case, maybe we should have "airports" preplaced and/or buildable in all coastal cities, and have all units "airliftable". Moving one unit per turn (if I am correct about that limitation) from just a handful of cities won't really help one later in the game when battles include stacks of 20+ units on each side.

9. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

pirates are fine as long as there is no bad luck involved with the spawning of new ships (spawn upon spawn unpon spawn until you got no ship left in your armada of 13 triremis :mad: , I'll never put 13 ships together again thats for sure)
    Also, just wondering... as anyone made it to the "spaceship" victory yet? If so, is there still the little movie in which you can see the spaceship getting off Earth? It would be nice if we could replace it with something more roman (the opening battle in Gladiator or anything where a roman army destroys a barbarian group). It would be a nice touch to the end although I dont know if it is possible.

10. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

It would hard to make rr's appear after a certain amount of time.

wait- Do they not work until you have discovered their technology? This would be a great way to symbolize important roadways. Just make them require a not included resource

Pirates are fine in this mod, but their animation seems kind of wierd. Are they shooting fire?

11. gringoesteban

Pink, could you please elaborate a little on how exactly the Player can win the game.
    1). What technological discovery(ies) or Tech_Timer event allows the Player to build the Legatum Romanum?
    2). The entry quoted above implies that the Legatum Romanum requires three separate "spaceship modules". Is that correct, or is it one single Wonder that the Player needs to build?
    3). Is Byzantium/Constantinople the only city in which the Player can construct the piece(s) of the spaceship?
    4). Specifically, which 11 cities are required? Some cities have unique resources under them (e.g. Carthago), so is that how the Player can figure out what is required? The RFRE map is quite big, with many cities and lots of different civilizations existing at the beginning of the game, so I am unclear as to what exactly I need to capture and hold to win. In the BIQ, usually only around three resources can be required to build something. Does the Legatum Romanum really require eleven unique resources? If there are three "spaceship modules", then I assume that each of the different modules each require different resources?

12. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Ad 600 is for the spaceship I believe

13. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

I like the idea for the great harbors. Imperial roads would be great but I agree with Pink that they would unbalance the game.

The piriates are not so much of a nuisance as they used to be. In my games, once I capture Carales and the Punic pirates are dealt with, the western med is pretty safe. After rousting the Illyrian pirates from their nests I do still get incursions of Cretan pirates but I can usually deal with those by then with squadrons based out of Delphi and Tarentum.

I'm not sure about Mare Nostrum requiring an elite naval unit because it's not always easy for Rome to get one of these, and not having this wonder is a serious blow to Roman power.

I've played .9 thru to about 1 AD twice now and though I'm still behind in conquests, it plays much better. And of course, I've made a couple of my own modifcations, such as the Bovianum issue.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Well, if we are having a vote, I don't think I like the idea of Great Harbours (Airports). Only single units can be "airlifted" per turn anyway, so it's not going to help get a stack of ten units to the other side of the Med. much faster anyway. It also takes all of the strategy out of the game.

The same applies to Imperial Roads (Railways), part of the fun for me is marshalling my forces at the right spot at the right time. If you can suddenly move "reserves" from all over the place, this scenario will become far too simple and easy.

A double no vote from me then! Plus a real NO vote in 11 days time ;) :D

15. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

What's in 11 days?

16. IXIRandyIXI

IXIRandyIXI Dirty Warmonger

My guess is his 18th b-day. ;)

17. gringoesteban

Pink, bad news....

My v0.9 game closed Civ III Conquests and crashed to the desktop with no error message at the end of turn 377AD. As you probably remember, the same thing happened to me in v0.85 in the same year, so this no longer appears to be a fluke attributable to bad luck or my computer settings.

At the end of 377AC, the AI automatically discovered the Tech_Timer tech 350-375AC. Do any barbarian wonders become buildable with that Tech_Timer, or do any other Wonders or buildings become obsolete when that tech is discovered? Something must be causing this crash.

This really sucks.... I had conquered the entire map except for Persia. All cities were in my hands except the Britania/Germania/Scythia marsh cities and Persia. I had well over 200 units poised on the Persian border ready to drive them back to the "Persian Heartland". I was only several turns away from discovering the "Fall of Rome" tech, after which things start to look up as one moves into the Byzantine techs.

Has anyone successfully played v0.8x or v0.9 past 377AC? Or am I the only person to have gotten this far in these versions of RFRE?

18. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Ho, ho, ho! If only that were true ;)

[Start threadjack]On 1 June the Netherlands is holding a referendum to approve the new European Constitution. There are safe guards to protect little countries like Holland at the moment, with the new constitution we can be out voted by the majority far easier than now. I don't think that's in Holland's best interest, so I'll be voting against.[End threadjack]

19. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

I have managed to play one game of 0.82(?) out as far as AD 481 (I think). No errors stopped the game, just my intolerance to ten minute turn lag.

20. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

No to Imperial roads, maybe to airports.

.9 is going well for me so far. SPQR seems to effectively eliminate the samnite problem, because everytime I am threatened by a samnite, a new legio has just appeared.