Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Asclepius said:
Ho, ho, ho! If only that were true ;)

[Start threadjack]On 1 June the Netherlands is holding a referendum to approve the new European Constitution. There are safe guards to protect little countries like Holland at the moment, with the new constitution we can be out voted by the majority far easier than now. I don't think that's in Holland's best interest, so I'll be voting against.[End threadjack]

Wow was I off or what!? :p

pinktilapia said:
@Ciceronian

Could you look into Gringoesteban’s request to rename the Roman units called Miles and Eques Alari to differentiate the first generation (Gaul) from the second generation (German) by adding the word "Gaul" and "Germanic" to the end of the existing unit names? Good luck with your examns, I am glad I am done with that stuff :)
Best to use Miles Alarius Gallicus and Miles Alarius Germanicus as well as Eques Alarius Gallicus and Eques Alarius Germanicus. You could also make a change by exchanging Pedes for Miles, as Pedes means foot-soldier specifically.

I'm having trouble getting the WinAce to work right. Is there a plain .zip version anywhere?

I had tried to play your scenario but the map was too big :(

When a smaller map ?

Uh, a beginnners question:
I don't have to research the first page of the techs, do I?

(I will have to start a new game, as I have wasted 15 turns not knowing this...)

BTW: I will be off for a holiday for a week... in nowhere else but Rome! :)

No those techs on the first page are timers which you are not supposed to research. You will get them for free once the AI gets them because you have the effects of the Great Library.

Oh yeah, the pdf readme has all kinds of great information to start you out. It answers alot of questions like this pretty well.

Good luck bringing Roman civilization to the know world ;)

minke said:
I saw a lot of Barb troops in Arabia, are they supposed to do anything? Looks as if they couldnt even traverse the desert?

They technnically can roam anywhere to wish. Now, practically, they are going nowhere, I agree ;) Blame the AI

Loki said:
I hate to mention it Pink, but with all of these new ideas, you might not get a 1.0 out for a while.
:cry: You are right, especially since I am taking a 3 weeks leave end of this week. I will try having a minor patch before, but no guarantee.

Gringoesteban said:
RR lines could be unbuildable, but the starting map might have a few select lines.
That could work better, but I am still wondering where to go with 'strategic movement'...

Gringoesteban said:
Which units would have the airlift box checked? Would all units be "airliftable", or only Roman units and not allied units? If I remember the Civilization software correctly, only one unit can go into or out of an airport in any given turn, so if that is the case, maybe we should have "airports" preplaced and/or buildable in all coastal cities, and have all units "airliftable". Moving one unit per turn (if I am correct about that limitation) from just a handful of cities won't really help one later in the game when battles include stacks of 20+ units on each side.
All units (except the one raised among locals like the Alarius) can go through these ports. I have also added a new pirate unit which works like an air superiority unit with H/N. I still have to test but then shipping your troops in pirate controlled waters would be highly risky, adding back some tactics to the game. But you are right, moving big stacks of units would take time (and it should!). Nonetheless, with 5 large harbors in Western Mediterranean, you could ship a nicly sized army in a couple of turns.

Cpt. Beaver said:
Also, just wondering... as anyone made it to the "spaceship" victory yet? If so, is there still the little movie in which you can see the spaceship getting off Earth? It would be nice if we could replace it with something more roman (the opening battle in Gladiator or anything where a roman army destroys a barbarian group). It would be a nice touch to the end although I dont know if it is possible.
I currently removed the end flic for obvious reason. If anyone can get his hand on a small movie not enfraining copyrights and fitting well, well... let me know!

Loki said:
Pirates are fine in this mod, but their animation seems kind of wierd. Are they shooting fire?
Well, yes they are, why ;)? It was a long time ago, but I didn't found an alternative version.

Gringoesteban said:
1). What technological discovery(ies) or Tech_Timer event allows the Player to build the Legatum Romanum?
2). The entry quoted above implies that the Legatum Romanum requires three separate "spaceship modules". Is that correct, or is it one single Wonder that the Player needs to build?
3). Is Byzantium/Constantinople the only city in which the Player can construct the piece(s) of the spaceship?
4). Specifically, which 11 cities are required? Some cities have unique resources under them (e.g. Carthago), so is that how the Player can figure out what is required? The RFRE map is quite big, with many cities and lots of different civilizations existing at the beginning of the game, so I am unclear as to what exactly I need to capture and hold to win. In the BIQ, usually only around three resources can be required to build something. Does the Legatum Romanum really require eleven unique resources? If there are three "spaceship modules", then I assume that each of the different modules each require different resources?

Sorry, the pedia wasn't correctly updated. It will now read as follow:

To win the game, you will need to gather the different parts of the Byzantine Empire as it was at the end of the reign of Justinian, so allowing the Roman Empire to continue in history as he did in reality. By 575AC, you will be able to complete the Legatum Romanum, or Roman Legacy if you still control $LINK<Constantinopolis=BLDG_Hellen>. You will need to ensure that four areas are secured (namely Italia$LINK<Italia=BLDG_SS_Italia>; $LINK<Africa & Hispania=BLDG_SS_Africa>; $LINK<Asia & Pontus=BLDG_SS_Asia>; $LINK<Oriens=BLDG_SS_Oriens>; $LINK<Moesia=BLDG_SS_Moesia>) by controlling two capital cities in each of these areas (and thus the unique resource they each contain). The game end by 625AC, and the player is considered as winner only if he succeeds assembling the Legatum Romanum before that date. There is no histograph victory for Rome.

To get the names of the cities you need to control, click on the spaceship parts, and look at the resources needed (anchors named after the city where they are located).

List is:

- Constantinopolis (you need the wonder of the same name in order to buidl the spaceship)
- Carthago
- Carthago Nova
- Roma
- Ravenna
- Sinope
- Ephesus
- Thessalonica
- Sirmium
- Alexandria
- Antiocha

Hrafnkell said:
The piriates are not so much of a nuisance as they used to be. In my games, once I capture Carales and the Punic pirates are dealt with, the western med is pretty safe. After rousting the Illyrian pirates from their nests I do still get incursions of Cretan pirates but I can usually deal with those by then with squadrons based out of Delphi and Tarentum.

I'm not sure about Mare Nostrum requiring an elite naval unit because it's not always easy for Rome to get one of these, and not having this wonder is a serious blow to Roman power.

Good! I might change the Mare Nostrum requisites then...

Asclepius said:
Well, if we are having a vote, I don't think I like the idea of Great Harbours (Airports). Only single units can be "airlifted" per turn anyway, so it's not going to help get a stack of ten units to the other side of the Med. much faster anyway. It also takes all of the strategy out of the game.

The same applies to Imperial Roads (Railways), part of the fun for me is marshalling my forces at the right spot at the right time. If you can suddenly move "reserves" from all over the place, this scenario will become far too simple and easy.

Shipping would really need some serious planification if concerning many troops (emergency) and the seas will have to be secured first, so I think it will work. So wondering what to do with a minor prexisting network of RRs...

Asclepius said:
A double no vote from me then! Plus a real NO vote in 11 days time

As a ‘brave’ Belgian, brave having all sorts of connotations, (which is a country even smaller than yours lol), I would support the Constitution nonetheless. Failing that one would put us back in waiting for two more decades before something more constructive come in. I wish to see a real united Europe before expiring.

Gringoesteban said:
Pink, bad news....

My v0.9 game closed Civ III Conquests and crashed to the desktop with no error message at the end of turn 377AD. As you probably remember, the same thing happened to me in v0.85 in the same year, so this no longer appears to be a fluke attributable to bad luck or my computer settings.

At the end of 377AC, the AI automatically discovered the Tech_Timer tech 350-375AC. Do any barbarian wonders become buildable with that Tech_Timer, or do any other Wonders or buildings become obsolete when that tech is discovered? Something must be causing this crash.

This really sucks.... I had conquered the entire map except for Persia. All cities were in my hands except the Britania/Germania/Scythia marsh cities and Persia. I had well over 200 units poised on the Persian border ready to drive them back to the "Persian Heartland". I was only several turns away from discovering the "Fall of Rome" tech, after which things start to look up as one moves into the Byzantine techs.

Has anyone successfully played v0.8x or v0.9 past 377AC? Or am I the only person to have gotten this far in these versions of RFRE?
:( I will have another quick check and get back to you in next post...

Asclepius said:
I have managed to play one game of 0.82(?) out as far as AD 481 (I think). No errors stopped the game, just my intolerance to ten minute turn lag.
Anyone else went recently beyond the 4th century?

Ciceronina said:
Best to use Miles Alarius Gallicus and Miles Alarius Germanicus as well as Eques Alarius Gallicus and Eques Alarius Germanicus. You could also make a change by exchanging Pedes for Miles, as Pedes means foot-soldier specifically.
Thanks, I made the changes.

Goodgame said:
I'm having trouble getting the WinAce to work right. Is there a plain .zip version anywhere?
I am afraid no. Get a trial version of WinRAR there!

Lachlan said:
I had tried to play your scenario but the map was too big
When a smaller map ?
What exactly is the problem? Would a save of the game on turn 1 helps?
Smaller map like scenario? This will depend on the people around. I have no time right now.

Jobiwan said:
Hey! Has anybody else seen zulu's Roman Pikeman? I think we could use this, perhaps as a new Stratiotes or Mercenary Legion unit.
Downloaded, thank for linking us there :) Still pondering where to use it... Replacing the Statriotes would probably be a good idea.

V. Soma said:
BTW: I will be off for a holiday for a week... in nowhere else but Rome!
Aoow, enjoy! Let me know if you come by the Val d'Aosta!

gringoesteban said:
Pink, bad news....

My v0.9 game closed Civ III Conquests and crashed to the desktop with no error message at the end of turn 377AD. As you probably remember, the same thing happened to me in v0.85 in the same year, so this no longer appears to be a fluke attributable to bad luck or my computer settings.

At the end of 377AC, the AI automatically discovered the Tech_Timer tech 350-375AC. Do any barbarian wonders become buildable with that Tech_Timer, or do any other Wonders or buildings become obsolete when that tech is discovered? Something must be causing this crash.

This really sucks.... I had conquered the entire map except for Persia. All cities were in my hands except the Britania/Germania/Scythia marsh cities and Persia. I had well over 200 units poised on the Persian border ready to drive them back to the "Persian Heartland". I was only several turns away from discovering the "Fall of Rome" tech, after which things start to look up as one moves into the Byzantine techs.

Has anyone successfully played v0.8x or v0.9 past 377AC? Or am I the only person to have gotten this far in these versions of RFRE?

There are many units and wonders coming in in 375AC, since this is the treshold date for the Germanic Great Invasions. I checked again, and it all seems fine. It is especially strange since the game has been already successfully tested beyond that date by at least a few people (any game with Huns, Incursatores is after 375AC). So I don't know why your game crashed for the third time at about the same date... :( What I need is to know if people can reach the 5th century with the current version without crashing. If the problem is the mod, it should happen to all players, and I will do my best to fix it. I am very sorry for you, having invested days in playing (and giving invaluable feedback) without being able to conclude one lone game... Let's hope it is the mod and that it can be fixed!

Great mod pink! I think I've been playing it non-stop since .84. Quick question, does Pergamon culture flip in .9? I'm tempted to invade it but with over 15 units defending it, it doesn't seem like a wise decision? Any thoughts anyone?

Hi Fictionles, welcome to CFC!
Pergamum is still the same strong city state in v0.9 as it was in earlier versions. Wait for next patch to get Edboltz's idea implemented. Inspired by Randy's sneaky tactics, you could ally Pergamum and then wage a war against the Seleucids. The Pergamenes, being in first line, will be seriously weakened (just be sure they are not conquered) and you can easily 'inherit' them by a quick war later on.

An alternative idea for Great Harbour (Airport) teleportation:

Create a special coastal waters tile that has a far lower movement cost. Place it all along the coast from Tarraco to Croton. Voilà. If the player has enough transports he can move multiple units in one turn all the way across the Mediterranean without affecting strategic game play in the deeper waters near the islands or Carthage. If the player always maintains a small transport fleet in Tarentum and Eretria or Byzantium, as well as Tarraco or Massilia, then a large army can be realistically transported enormous distances in one turn by offloading to another fleet to jump across the straits to Asia for example. This would also make a Second Punic War more likely to follow history as Iberia could be realistically (at least in game terms) invaded without having to worry about Magna Graecia first.

It may be better to go from Croton to only Massilia, to stop Carthage from using this ocean motorway, but this would IMHO be a far more realistic method of increasing ship transportation without introducing dematerializing Legions or ships which have 20 move points. The Romans regularly transported things up the coast of the Italian peninsular exactly because it was faster than going by road.

I wouldn't add this coastal motorway to the Levant or North Africa though. The Romans never had a very large fleet at Antioch and this extra fast movement would see Egyptian navies all over the med which is unrealistic.

Asclepius said:

Create a special coastal waters tile that has a far lower movement cost. Place it all along the coast from Tarraco to Croton. Voilà. If the player has enough transports he can move multiple units in one turn all the way across the Mediterranean without affecting strategic game play in the deeper waters near the islands or Carthage. If the player always maintains a small transport fleet in Tarentum and Eretria or Byzantium, as well as Tarraco or Massilia, then a large army can be realistically transported enormous distances in one turn by offloading to another fleet to jump across the straits to Asia for example. This would also make a Second Punic War more likely to follow history as Iberia could be realistically (at least in game terms) invaded without having to worry about Magna Graecia first.

It may be better to go from Croton to only Massilia, to stop Carthage from using this ocean motorway, but this would IMHO be a far more realistic method of increasing ship transportation without introducing dematerializing Legions or ships which have 20 move points. The Romans regularly transported things up the coast of the Italian peninsular exactly because it was faster than going by road.

I wouldn't add this coastal motorway to the Levant or North Africa though. The Romans never had a very large fleet at Antioch and this extra fast movement would see Egyptian navies all over the med which is unrealistic.

Interesting idea, but it will need a lot of testing in my opinon.
-how can it have less movement cost than coastal tiles now?

loki1232 said:
Interesting idea, but it will need a lot of testing in my opinon.
-how can it have less movement cost than coastal tiles now?
Well, I may be wrong but I thought it would be possible to create a new LM coastal tile with entirely new properties when compared with an ordinary coastal tile. This way the Italian coastal tiles are actually a different terrain type.

Hi all! My first post and honoured am i to post on this thread! the mod is excellent and already has taught me so much more about story of rome. Many sincere congrats to all involved! Believe me when i say that these days i'm the walking dead, having not been to bed earlier than 2 am for over a week! :sad:

I must say I love the idea of coastal high speed corridors. not sure if they're possible but would be a great solution. failing that, there is a way to impliment the imperial highways. simply make them un-buildable and preplaced. to avoid unbalancing the game you simply need to remove key links in the chain so that, for example, getting from (mod. day) portugal to byzantium might take 3 turns.

i'm going to try to attatch a crude diagram of what i mean.
hope that worked!

Asclepius said:

I dont think it would work as intended before we do a lot of testing. The use of a sea boulevard might be used by the AI and the player to move unrealisticly fast before Cartage is conquered or the pirate threat is removed.
Simple suggestion to help integrate this idea : block those highways with immobile barbarian units strong enough to be destroyed only after a certain time.
However, I still prefer the Great Harbor idea.

Traianus said:
Hi all! My first post and honoured am i to post on this thread! the mod is excellent and already has taught me so much more about story of rome. Many sincere congrats to all involved! Believe me when i say that these days i'm the walking dead, having not been to bed earlier than 2 am for over a week!

I must say I love the idea of coastal high speed corridors. not sure if they're possible but would be a great solution. failing that, there is a way to impliment the imperial highways. simply make them un-buildable and preplaced. to avoid unbalancing the game you simply need to remove key links in the chain so that, for example, getting from (mod. day) portugal to byzantium might take 3 turns.

i'm going to try to attatch a crude diagram of what i mean.
hope that worked!
Attached Images

An interesting idea, but these railways will be used by the AI too, giving him a huge advantage when Rome conquers those areas. Also, many of those regions didn't have infrastructures such as roads before the Roman built them. Personnaly, I think normal roads are fine but they should take less time to build.

Could the pre-built, but broken up, Imperial (Rail) Roads be occupied by a realtively weak units with no movement and non-disbandable owned by a new "generic" civ (again with just a false city out in the Caspian Sea)? Have this Civ (which Rome couldn't talk with) be locked into a Mutual Defense Pact with the Barbarian Civ through which the roads pass.

This would keep the Barbarian Civs from both using those roads and also attacking the Road Block Civ.

Probably would involve adding several of these Road Block Civs, otherwise, attacking the Gauls and their Road Block Civ, would result in Rome at war with everyone.

Alternatively, the Road Block units could only be subject to attack by units capable of attacking air units. Make the Faber Arcis (or some similar unit) the only one capable of attacking these units. Make them look like trees, the destruction of which reveal a Imperial Road beneath. No one could talk with this Civ, so no demand to evacutate could be made.

As always, edboltz, you're the one with the cunning plan. But IXIrandyIXI has a point; no sort of road should already be in place in some of these areas. rome brought the roads with it.

is there any way to give them era specific graphics? they'll be invisible until the last age!?!

Top Bottom