1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. Lokit

Lokit Chieftain

I have Managed to play to around year 486 (i think) on Version 0.82. Now the problem i notices is that if you follow the roman expansion there will be five Civilizations left
    (Pictii, Germany, Scythia, Numidia, Parthia) which will divide the world between them. This means That the Germans Held All of western Europe except for Sicily, The Scythians the East an so on. So i when i sent my huge force to Italy it was annihilated just because of the Sheer numbers the Germans had. I think i saw aroun 20 :eek: of those überunits they get in the late game, and thats only in Italy.

I know that it is impossible to divide a nation in the game like in the real world so it will be no Visigoths And Ostrogoths in the game (which is a shame :( )

About the unit transportation i think that you should Preplace an Harbor in strategically important cities ie Carthago, Massilia. Or you can place a resource under the city named Transport or something more suitable that allows you to build it around year 0. Anothe option is to place naval bases (air bases cleverly renamed :groucho: ) at certain spots.

But this mod is Great! even if it has some bugs it is still one of the best, on par with RAR or Rhye's of Civ. And not to mention that i learn much more latin and Roman History than i learn in school :crazyeye: .

Edit: And the Germans are in a locked alliance with the scythians :eek: come on, how am supposed to beat them. (playing on consul)

2. Taijian

Taijian Chieftain

Can you ally with Pergamon? I think I tried in my last game (v.9) and I think there was no Military Alliance ability there...

3. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

[Threadjack] When is Civ IV coming out? Will it have events? [End Threadjack]

4. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I dont think their really is that much of a problem with the current transportation system. The way it is now the player is forced to plan ahead major offensives and defensives. Being able to quickly shift forces would allow the player to concentrate all of his forces on one area with no fear of being attacked in the other areas.

I suppose its alright to have the harbors be airports, because that would never really move enough troops to make a difference.

@Loki
    Check the Civ4 forum. Its really quite amazing ;)

5. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

hey i know how to implement the sea corridor idea which i like. you simply increase the naval movement to liek 20 or some high number, but increase the movement cost to something around 4 or 5 for sea, coast, and open sea. so effectively all naval units get the same movement on the tiles as they did previously, but give the roman's a unit that comes with age of augustus called "transport fleet" or something that ignores movement cost on coastal tiles. that way it would have a full 20 moves or so on the coast and allow for these great distances to be traversed quickly.

@ 4 diff highways

6. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

It wouldn't let me ally in my .9 game either. :(

7. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

That's a bug :mischief: - Fixed

Asclepius's idea amended with Coltrane's suggestion could work if we want to go that way. For the time being, I let you discuss the pros and cons of having more than the limited airlift ability before making further changes. Although I also really believe road move is already fast enough, a limited network of imperial road can be easily controlled by using a specific terrain where these roads can be built later on by Rome. I wonder if I still have a unused type of terrain though (probably would have to use volcanoes).

8. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

where it says "@ 4 diff highways" this is what i meant to say

heres my new (and much improved) imperial highway idea. ok, well there are currently 5 unused worker actions, including imperial roads. my idea is to make 5 different road systems, for example, italian highways, greek highways, asian highways, ibero-gallic highways, and maybe 1 other if needed and have them as seperate worker actions which require different techs, resources, and turns till completion. for example, italian highways could be available from the beginning, but require mediolanum and roma as resources so that you can build them early, but they would take a huge amount of time to make and i think there should be a small highway placed as the appian way from the start. greek could require macedonian wars and you need athens and byzantium or something like that, etc.

an alternative is to allow a certain city in each region to produce " [insert region] highway engineers" every X turns, and only allow them to build the highway for their region. with this way i would not make the imperial roads too dramatically expensive as there would not be many units at all. these highway engineers should require support but ONLY be able to build the highways in their region, to encourage disbanding of units and minimize highway construction. i would also make these buildings go obsolete after a short while so not many engineers are produced. like maybe 4-5 engineers at the most per region, with the exception of italy which i would never have go obsolete, or at least not till the fall of rome.

tell me what you think everyone.

9. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@ Lokit
    Maybe will you see some 'Numid' Vandals in next patch ;)
    Germanic and Scythian must be in locked alliance otherwise they would tearing themselves apart rather than constructively working against Rome.
    Can you post a screenshot and a save of your game, you seem to have had a really great invasion! FYI, current version has a much toned down spawning rate for the Incursatores, and Belisarius should have an easier time reconquering Italy (if it ever falls).

10. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@King Coltrane

My understanding is that worker job cannot be really changed, just renamed. A 'plant forest' job can be renamed 'build imperial road', but the engineer will still just plant a forest. Correct me if I am wrong.

11. edboltz

edboltz Chieftain

There really wouldn't be any roads until Rome brings them: They'd be covered with non-moving units and accordingly, unusable until the units, think of them as forests, that the Romans have to clear/attack to make them usable.

12. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

im not sure pink, ill test it within the next few days to see if thats true.

13. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

This is correct. :)

14. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

This is a much better idea, far simpler and easier to implement, I think. However, we could make it even easier, just leave everything as it is now! Leave all of the coast, sea, ocean move rates as they are. Give Rome two, free, unbuildable units at the start of the game, call them "long distance transports", give them a huge movement rate, can carry 4 or 5 units but will sink in (or can't enter?) sea or ocean tiles. As long as they can't be built, the player will only be able to use them in safe waters and not offensively, as the risk of losing them to pirates or being bombarded in a harbour should force the player to be very careful. No trireme or corvus should be able to keep up with them. Restricting their number and load capacity can be used to tweak the number of units we think should be possible to move from one end of the Med to the other in two years (one turn). I do think they should be available from the start though or at least generated by a wonder created with one of the very first techs.

15. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

I'm not a fan of any of the Imperial road ideas. I think they will alter the strategic feel of the game too much. As it is, I find it hard to get enough Legions together (or engineers) to build all of the roads required in Gaul, fast enough. Slaves take far too long and having several stacks of Legions digging roads in Gaul and Germania takes decades, delaying campaigns elsewhere because my Legionaries are stuck in the middle of nowhere. If I need anything it's a unit that builds roads faster but not railways.

16. chico81

chico81 Chieftain

I keep getting a load error- Pedialcons.txt: ICON_BLDG_Baal.

I played the game previously up to update 5 or so. Never had a problem. Downloaded mod again and reinstalled along with update9.

Can anyone help?

17. Lokit

Lokit Chieftain

Since my hard drive space is very limited (very very limited :sad: ) i usually have 2 or 3 saves at once. this means that i deleted the save when version 0.9 came out :blush:

But atleast this mod has a permanent saving spot for me.

But i actually enjoy the challenge the enemy poses. west rome aren't supposed to survive. But since i usually reloads every time i lose a city, this mod isn't good for my health ;)

18. Taijian

Taijian Chieftain

I really like this one. It does not add to much complexity, does what's necessary and adds an additional strategical challenge, namely keeping those unbuildable ships afloat. I'd say two are enough, if they can transport 5 or 6 units each.

Oh yeah, that is sooooo true!! :cry:

Something else: Is it intentional that Consular Armys are the only ones who do not update to Cohortes Imperatoriae? And can C.I. now board ships?

19. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

I just did some quick calculations concerning the road building problem :
    Italy, from Mediolanum to Croton, is approximatly 1200 km long. On the RFRE map, there is 22 cases between these cities in a straight line. So each cases is about 55 km long. A legion currently takes 8 turns (8 years in the beginning and 16 years in latter parts) to build a 55 km stretch of road? I mean, sure, its Antiquity, but these are the Romans and they were quite capable when talking of road building. I'd suggest lowering the time to build a road to 1 turn for a faber and then go upward with every other unit. 2 for a legio, 4 for a velites, 6 for a slave...
    Right now, we cant build roads as fast as our armies are advancing and it takes too much time to build them anyway. Some major thinking is also needed here.

20. blitzkrieg80

blitzkrieg80 ðrymes ðēoden

I am in total agreement on a better road-building rate and better sea movement rate. I also think we need to limit both, though. I think a road in 2 turns is too quick, but a similar number like 4-8 might be good... I have no idea how to figure out such work-values other than testing... I like Asclepius' idea in limiting the production... if it is going to be wonder-generated it should go obsolete pretty quickly or spawn slooooooooooooowly (every 70-100 turns) ...

I think Imperial Roads/Railroads would be too convenient, as mentioned, for massing armies... although, as I mentioned, Imperial roads combined with Limes would be neat.