1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I really like the idea of those special transport units. Give the Romans some wonder which will create two of them before it expires.

I dont know when the wonder should be, maybe around Augustus? I think having them at the begining would be wrong.

2. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Imperial roads are too uncontrolable. There is no way to make them go obsolete or buildable in only a certain area.
    Out of all these ideas only naval ports seems possible without extensive testing.

On a slightly different topic, I found that one way for Rome to keep up with its historical conquests early on is to have more transports. Finishing Epirus only took me 3-4 turns, and then I had to wait many turns before declaring war on Carthage to get all of my troops in position and build a transport in Pisae. Adding just a couple more transports would be great.

3. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Hi. It must be an installation problem with the patch. Try reinstalling it, following the instruction in the 1st post, and let me know.

4. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Ok folks,

Here is where I am going for next patch, based on the discussion held here during the last few days:

- Capital, Portus Naves are now 'great harbors' which allow most civilized units to be transported quickly between them. Pirates have new interception units, the proximity of a pirate base will be dangerous (still need to be tested).
    - Bithynia, Pergamum and Nabatea have noew their capital moved far away in the Caspian Sea (which should in time be destroyed by barbarians) and have a new government with low corruption. Cities under this government will be relatively cheap to be inherited (through propaganda) by Rome (equally, still need to be tested, although it should work).
    - I will add a new unit of fast transports, although they won't move like thunder (say move 15, capacity 8) and have no combat value. They are likely to be multi-units (Jobiwan, help?!), spawned by the Ostia wonder once every 65 turns (you should typically have your 1st transport fleet by 160BC).
    - Most Germanic/Scythians cities have a protective belt of impassable forests (for Rome) around them, except for pheripherical cities.
    - No railroads but road cost has been reduced by 50%.

5. TheSandman

TheSandman Chieftain

G'day from Sydney, Australia,

Just wanted to say thanks to the creators of the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE), without doubt one of the best Civ Conquests scenarios ever created.

Everything about the game is amazing, and I am lost for words regarding the detailed Civopedia.

I am grateful for the hours of creative work and playtesting that has gone into this game.

I have thanked other Civ creators in the past for the many hours of gaming pleasure I have had since Civ I came into being, and I applaud your efforts.

Civ IV will be a magnificent game to play; the E3 videos now on the Net are giving us a glimpse into a monumental blockbuster.

What's more pleasing is the fact that Sid Meier and team will be letting creative gamers, like those who created RFRE, the freedom to create their own awe-inspiring scenarios with the Civ IV editor.

Just imagine Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire as a Civ IV scenario. If the scenario is great in the 2D-Civ Conquests, what will it be in the 3D-Civ IV?

Ta, Sandman :)

6. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

hey pink, i like your ideas, they are simple enough to solve problems without a big hassle... always a plus!

7. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

One thing i forgot to mention before... (apologies if it's already been brought up!) The ballista always seems to be pointing in the wrong direction during attacks. can this be sorted by editng the ini file or is it something more complex?

8. Taijian

Taijian Chieftain

Um, maybe I don't get it, but isn't there a problem here, since Rome is not a coastal city? I mean, how are we supposed to get those transports into the meditarenean, if they are being spawned in Rome?

Also, could you tell us which civs are supposed to be 'allyable'? I noticed that Aetolia is, but Achaia, Athens and Magna Graecia aren't. Is that intentional or the same bug as with Pergamon? In v.9 I could only sign MAs with Macedonia and Aetolia.

9. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Lots of testing :)

I though Rome wasn't a port city? How could its wonder spawn the trransports?

This will make roads to easy to build. Now instead of being forced to use Fabri, a couple of servi will do fine.

10. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

@Pink
    Why don't you include it in the pedia?

11. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

In the next patch, it might be worthwhile to increase the defensive value of Forts to +50% (from +25%) and of Limes to +50% (rather than +25%).

My v0.9 game only went through 377AD before it mysteriously crashed and I therefore did not encounter the nastiest German & Scythian units, but nevertheless I still lost several Limes to the German's attacks. These Limes were located located on top of hills or behind rivers (and in one instance on a hill behind a river!). The Limes that I lost had each been defended by a Merc Legion (D6) and two Miles Alarius Germanicus (D4), but the AI had no problem crushing them. I had modified by BIQ to give me a +50% defensive bonus for Forts and +50% for Limes, so I cannot imagine the carnage that would have ensued had I kept myself at the default RFRE v0.9 settings of only +25%.

I assume that things would have gotten a lot worse in later years as the "barbarian migrations" started. The number of barb units would have grown substantially, their higher attack value would have more deadly, and those units have enslave ability. Also, as corruption increases across the Empire, the Player's production capability will decline over time, and it would become difficult to maintain a steady stream of replacement units to replace those killed in action along the northern frontier.

The Roman Empire's northern border is quite long, and it would be difficult (impossible?) to defend, even with forts/limes each with +50% defensive value. (The Scythian border MAY be defendable with enough cav units and with creative positioning of Limes, but the German border, no way). In my game, I had many dozens -- probably well over 100 -- units deployed in defensive positions along my northern border (with lots of cav units deployed in counterattack positions), but I have no doubt that the Germans would have eventually overrun me had the game continued. Asclepius's posts also imply that the later German hordes are unstoppable.

On a similar point, maybe we could increase the defensive value of Merc Legions to D7. I modified my BIQ to allow Praetorian Guard units (D7) to move, and I lost several of them to German attacks, so D7 does not seem to dissuade the AI from attacking. On the other hand, I had raised the defensive value of Imperial Cohorts to D8, and the AI steered around those if they were on squares which gave a large defensive value, so going higher than D7 would be too much. On the attack side, since the player will have Miles Alarius Germanicas (A8) and heavy cavalry units, the Merc Legion attack value can stay at A6.

12. edboltz

edboltz Chieftain

Why are the upgraded Cohortes generated in Rome prohibited from boarding ships?

Same for the Fabers?

13. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

This stops them from being "loaded" into armies. 2 Cohortes in an Army would be unbelievably powerful, so Pink wisely prohibited that. A nice side effect is that they then have to remain in continental Europe, which is where they should be really. Dunno about the engineers though, maybe an oversight.

14. edboltz

edboltz Chieftain

Plus the Fabers/Engineers can't irrigate or clear pollution slave revolts, which I don't understand either.

15. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I'm wondering about the Ostia wonder too, Rome not being a costal city and all.

16. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@Sandman

@Traianus
    Got the ballista animation fixed (no rotation before attack)

@Taijian
    Added to pedia (and fixed in game):
    About Ostia
    Right, you are all right. Ostia won't to it. as such. What about making Rome a coastal city...? After all, Ostia was first developed under the Estruscan kings, and Athenae is a port in RFRE!

@Gringo
    Thanks for that detailed feedback. Based on that, I will increase fort from 25% to 50%, although I would like to get feedback on how the barbarian invasions go in this patch, since they are now spawned very less frequently than before (in Asclepius game). I won't, yet, rise the merc. legion defence to 7, but I could in the future.

For info, I also added a few days ago, a castrum tile improvement (radar) which gives surrounding units 25% bonus in attack and defence. That should bring defender from 6 to 7.5! Maybe that will be too much for the AI to attack. Again, it will need testing :eek:

@Edboltz
    Although I haven't check in game, Faber should be boarding boats fine, as all other units flagged as foot unit. Cohortes can't, for the reasons cited by Asclepius.
    Faber can't fight slave unrest, I think it makes sense. They can't irrigate either. In RFRE context, irrigate (cultivate) is only possible by slaves, to represent Rome reliance on its latifundia and far flung provinces for food. You just can't enslave your engineer to work in your agricultural estates. Pratically, it results that Rome need to wage war and make prisoners in order to develop its agriculture.

17. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I thought I would have time to prepare you a nice little last patch before leaving, but I won't. I need to test the changes before uploading that or I have a feeling it will cause too many problems. I will be back in three weeks, after a nice rest in old Europe, and we will be ready for the last instalment of RFRE :). Meanwhile, keep firing great ideas and feedback on the thread.

18. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Don't want to miss the release :)
    Could help with the lore too ;)

19. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Does Athenae at least have a wonder: Portus Piraeus?

Will Rome have conquered any other important Ports by the time you wants these transports?--maybe they could be produced there?

Where in Europe?

20. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I would not make Rome a special city as it was besiedged a couple of times and thus could not be fed and supported from the sea....