Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

@LionQ. The new banner is much better. Nice work.

@ King Coltrane. I tried a similar strategy suggested in Randy's walkthrough and I had Carthago Nova in 236bc. Not one Excercitus Barcae had been built yet. On the same turn that peace was declared, the Hamilcar Barca unit appeared north of Ravenna! I am not a very good civ player but I was immensely happy with this result.

Traianus said:
@LionQ. The new banner is much better. Nice work.
Roger that; thank you! :D

Of course I don't forget to give credit with making the logo. Only the makers of the RFRE art items are yet unknown, but pinktilapia is going to find out, so they can be added.
~ RFRE logo credits, v3.1

Salamandre said:
What version you play? It seems I cant sign other agreements with Aegyptus than ROP here
I'm playing the latest version, but had the luck Cleopatra and I started a war against the Carthaginians simultaneously, so it wasn't a MA.

But now we're talking about this... I'm experiencing this too. With some nations I can sign a RoP and a MA; with others only a RoP. What is this? And why can't we trape Maps? And what about Communications? And the Investigate City mission is welcome too...

pinktilapia said:
It seems, seriously, that I need some more balancing with eastern civs. Is Pontus under Mithridates really too strong comparted to huge Rome? Is Persia that overpowered in every game? I wish to tune this before releasing next patch so let me know.
Pontus is pretty tough, so tough in fact that I had to restart v0.922 a couple days ago. In the game where I basically gave up, Pontus had sent two huge stacks of of superunits against me. (I forgot the name, sorry, but it's the multiple unit icon where the guys are carrying banners). Anyway, one stack went overland via Scythian territory into Dacia and the other attacked via Galatia. I was simultaneously attacked on two fronts. I lost 25+ Miles Alarius Gallic and 6 Legions without inflicting a single casualty on Mithridates. The majority of my legions were in the process of building Limes along German frontier, so I was in no position to defend the east. It was hopeless so I started over. Proposed solution -- knock 3 HP off the supertough Pontus unit and reduce the spawn rate from 1/10 to 1/15.

I have successfully fought Persia in previous RFRE versions. In v0.922, we had a brief border skirmish and I took three of their cities before allowing them to make peace with me. However, it looks like I will be hammered once their 25 shield, no support units arrive on the scene. Thanks a lot, Pink :mad: Other than patching that unit, though, I do not think anything about Persia needs to be changed. Throwing the Persians back to their heartland is one of the hardest things to accomplish in RFRE, as it should be, since the Persians annihilated Roman armies on numerous occasions, including killing (and in one case, capturing) the Roman Emperor himself. The Persians even sacked Antioch at one point. The key is to attack them with a big military, and use maneuver. Hard to do, against cavalry, but it is possible.

gringoesteban said:
Pontus is pretty tough, so tough in fact that I had to restart v0.922 a couple days ago. In the game where I basically gave up, Pontus had sent two huge stacks of of superunits against me. (I forgot the name, sorry, but it's the multiple unit icon where the guys are carrying banners). Anyway, one stack went overland via Scythian territory into Dacia and the other attacked via Galatia. I was simultaneously attacked on two fronts. I lost 25+ Miles Alarius Gallic and 6 Legions without inflicting a single casualty on Mithridates. The majority of my legions were in the process of building Limes along German frontier, so I was in no position to defend the east. It was hopeless so I started over. Proposed solution -- knock 3 HP off the supertough Pontus unit and reduce the spawn rate from 1/10 to 1/15.
I think I'm gonna do what Salamandre proposed: having Syria fighting Pontus. Meanwhile, I can finish off Iberia and Gallia.

Gunner said:
I really like the new banner LionQ. If I was making it I would add in more authentic busts and statues rather than the in-game images. Just personal preference.
Thanks. I'm willing to do that, but first want to know if there's concensus about this under the RFRE players. Other might want the opposite, you see?

Well, it was fun, even if my social life stopped 2 weeks ago. Of course, I cant win, unless I search myself the last 10 techs from the first age, but game is done anyway. Time for hollydays, and a big :thanx: for such a marvelous mod.

I suggest(for players health/heart):

Imperial road in the third era, maybe with intelligence, should be a reward for surviving until there. Just for saving hours of micromanagement, actually it is possible to use your navy (load/unload) to simulate instant transfer (as i did) but it is tedious and boring . I could go from any point to another instantly with some 100 triremis sumae but took about 5 hours in whole game.

Building mine should be allowed on grassland/plains.. So often you cant irrigate them , no fresh water and its so crowded...

Catapultae with 2 moves but 1 pop/cost and lethal sea bombardement( if they can damage ships, I dont see why they cant sink them). Should give a small chance to win. With only 1 move I am afraid we will lose them all to counterattacks, as it happened so often to me.

Build limes from 75 turns to 20. Should increase to possibility of various strategies and more fun with great invasions, 75 turns is a boom, never could make them in time.

Persia HAS to be tweaked. I almost had a heart attack when they invaded me.

2 more navis aquaria (just because I love them :D )

Coruption decreased (who doesnt hate it?)

Add to conquest.ini: Max Autosaves=15 (because you will NEED it)

Attachments

• Image2001.jpg
    Image2001.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 216

This is what a late Roman legionary looked like... pinktablia maybe you should change the graphics or ask some one to make legionary that looks like this? ;)

Oh, and, the late Roman legions were not really tactically bad or anything, on the contrary, late Roman legions continiued to win battles but there weren't enough legions... Yes, late Roman legions lacked discipline due to the mercenaries but the main problem was logistical (i hope that is the right word).

naziassbandit said:
... Yes, late Roman legions lacked discipline due to the mercenaries but the main problem was in logistical (i hope that is the right word).
Rather in quantity, but you might be pointing on that.

Anyway, it's "game over" for the Piratae here... :D :beer:

:ar15:Piratae:whipped:

Salamandre said:
I am curious to know when they attacked you (early/late in the game). The Miles Allarius gaullicus(6.2.1) is a joke vs their 12.5.3 .

It was later in the game, I can't remember the date but somewhere between 200 and 300AD and was by no means a sweeping victory. I was able to stave off the brunt of their assault by threading their troops through the mountain passes in Anatolia until I could forge a decent peace. After making peace with them they went on an took a chunk of land from Pontus so much for the Mithradates unit. Persia is a power though, I have had games (in 9.0) where Persia destroyed Syria while I was still fighting Macedonia.

LionQ said:
Thanks. I'm willing to do that, but first want to know if there's concensus about this under the RFRE players. Other might want the opposite, you see

I agree, I think it would be nicer with stone busts instead of the leaderhead shots.

Once this mod is complete I'll need a Rome theme Role Playing Game......

@LionQ
When, I was talking about putting in a Legion, I meant an entire Legion but what you did is quite nice though. Only addition I would make is (if there is place) to put the kind of stick some Roman Legionnaires carry with the marking of the Legion, its victories, and other accomplisments

captain beaver said:
@LionQ
When, I was talking about putting in a Legion, I meant an entire Legion but what you did is quite nice though. ...
Oh, okay...

captain beaver said:
... Only addition I would make is (if there is place) to put the kind of stick some Roman Legionnaires carry with the marking of the Legion, its victories, and other accomplisments
You mean a standard? Hmm, that might be a cool idea. I'll see what I can work out...

The Civilopedia says that the Exercitus Mithridatis unit can only be produced by a wonder. However, in looking at the BIQ, the unit requires the Sinope resource. All other AI units that can only be created by Wonders require the ROMA resource. I think that may be why Pontus has been so hard to fight lately -- all the Pontic cities are building Exercitus Mithridatis units. If the Civilopedia entry is correct, then the resource requirement for this unit should be changed as part of the next patch.

Hi. I've enjoyed RFRE (v9.0) for about two months, and it has been a whole new gaming experience. Kudos to Pink and everyone who contributed for the greatest CIV mod ever made. I hope to make some contribution as well before v1.0 comes out.

I just finished my first game. (Well I didn't see the ending, but it was as far as I could go.) The screenshots below summarize how my game went. (version: 0.9, difficulty: consul) For your information, I didn't make any modification, but I reloaded often. If anyone wants, I'll upload my save files too.

I knew I could not win the game because of the Sinope resource bug, but wanted to build all the Byzantine legacy parts at least. In AD 547 I had only 3 turns left till "AD 525-575", but my game crashed. Too bad...Well I'll certainly try again with a newer version.

Attachments

• RFRE_screenshot.jpg
    RFRE_screenshot.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 192
My goal was to conquer other nations before they stockpile wonder-created strong units. (Carthago, Egypt, Pontus, Persia) In order to do that, my main strategy was to divide my military force into two and send one to west and one to east. This way I could conquer Egypt and Pontus just before they get Antony's army and Mithridatus' army.

My conquest ended in AD 119 when I had all non-marsh cities except two (Vandalii and Chersonesus). Then it was rather boring 428 years of defense and land development. Attila's horde (Huns) and Incursator (Germania) were strong opponents, but I didn't have much problem defending my territory, with catapults and armies in limes.

I don't know if they have already been addressed in current patches, but there are some issues I'd like to point out.

1. The game freezed when I ended my turn in AD 547. I tried several times, but the results were the same. Didn't have any problem like that before.
2. I could not build "Corpus Juris Civilis" in Constantinople, which was the only wonder I haven't built.
3. I don't want anything that would make the game more difficult, but initiating propaganda was too easy. I bought all Persian cities but its capital with about 1,000 gold each. I got 8 imperial cohort units in the cities I bought too. Too bad they couldn't board a ship to be sent to western battlefield...

I'm having a weird problem. I've been playing this mod for a few weeks and was really enjoying it.

However, I recently had to dump my hard drive, so I redownloaded the mod and patch .922.

I re-installed Civ III and Conquests and updated it to patch 1.22.

After extracting the mod and patch to the correct folder, I'm getting an in-game error that I didn't recieve a few weeks ago, when I downloaded and played the first time.

It's a typical missing ini message about the celtic warrior. But when I look in the art/units folders, I don't even see a folder for the celtic warrior. Can someone help me with this problem. Thanks. Great mod btw.

Top Bottom