Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. jvoutsas

jvoutsas Chieftain

Included Files:
    Civilopedia Large and Small
    Elven_Units_32.pcx

Is there supposed to be an elven warrior in this mod?

Because there is an elven warrior folder in the mod's art/units folder.

2. Soam

Soam Golden Monkey

A mod about Rome with Elves? Nope. From what I can gather the art is used for some of the pirates units.

3. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Boys... this gonna take my whole morning again.

ok. Answers as they come:

- there will be no longer any camel available to Rome
    - Numid horsemen are now wheeled
    - Persia late unit cost now 50 shields and requires support (sorry!)
    - Pedia of philosophy's wonders corrected as they now requires bibliotheca instead of academia
    - Pontus's Mithridates army will now require Pergamum instead of Sinope (sorry!) and I will reduce its HP bonus a tad
    - Carthago Nova is going to be strenghtened, or more likely, the Barcas wonder is going to be buildable in alternate sites.
    - I will take a look at the corvus ships, but I really wonder why they can transport praesidium (these units can't be loaded, whatever the transport)
    - Cleo's art is by R8XFT; I will be checking who made the legion unless somebody now already

4. Trajan13

Trajan13 Warlord

Wow. I DL'd this mod, and I can say with certainty that in my years of Civ gaming I have NEVER come accross a more challenging, frankly frustrating piece of gaming. Civ II, Colonization, Civ III, C3C... I have never tried so hard and failed so spectacularly.

I've played four games of this now, and I have been ground to a halt each time. First it was through unfamiliarity with the mod, simply getting in too deep without understanding what was going on. Carthage killed me, but again I had no idea what to expect.

So then I decided I'd avoid Carthage for a little while - Big. Mistake. So I've conquered Magna Graeca, Cisalpine Gauls, that tribe in Illyria, and Athens, so I figure I've got an empire Carthage's size or so, let's have a go. So my armies cross the alps to take on Spain and enter the Med in ships... in Spain I am stopped by a horde of the most HP powerful unit I've ever seen, the freaking Executix Barcae. At sea I'm utterly sunk by a huge enemy fleet. No hope of winning, armies gone, momentum lost, I bow out.

Then, it's the let's not attack Carthage at all strategy. Try to buddy up, it seems to work, conquer the same guys again - graeca, illyria, some of Greece, Cisalpines, and I go for Vercongetorix's Gaul. Well I had a big army. But if my army was big, then there is no word in the English language to describe the size of the barbarian horde that fell upon my empire. Then Carthage turns on me, and Cleo shows up out of nowhere and joins Hannibal. Bow out.

Then it's the let's go after Carthage ASAP - and this one seems to work. My two armies on tranports take Corsica and Sardinia, while my garrison in Messinia fends off wave after wave of Carthagininan quite easily. Well my main target in this first Punic war was Carthago Nova, which according to the impeccible Civilopedia is where those massive Executrix(sp?) Barcae come from. Well I take the Baleries and then Carthago Nova, when Messinia falls to Carthage - not to waves of mercenaries, constant bombardment or some superb strategy - but to a relatively small force of Numidian Horsemen. I learned the hard way that these guys have like a 10 attack strength. Even my defending Legion couldn't hold them off. But I figure hey, I can take it back. I proceed to take Carthago Nova, and am presented with a more disturbing fact about those horsemen - Carthage gets a hell of a lot of them. Carthage ships them to spain again and again and again and it takes all my offensive force to hold them off, and finnaly they kill it entirely, regaining Carthago Nova. Meanwhile, also using these horsemen, Sardinia falls back to Carthage, as does Corsica. Once again consulting the Civilopedia, I find that Carthage has a wonder that pumps massive numbers of these guys out.

Maybe next time I'll try total sea domination, then attack the land forces and cities of Carthage. If they simply can't ship those damned horsemen, they shouldn't be too much of a threat. But then again when/if I take on mainland Carthage I'll be up against hundreds of Numidian Horsemen. :(

I also noticed that defensively, Rome well... sucks. It seems the only effective defense is a large force backed with velites or ballistae defending behind a wall, and even that is not a sure thing. All I know is that city defense unit, Praedisum, isn't worth it. I never won a single defense with one of those.

However I'd hate to let this wonderful scenario utterly crush me. I mean it is incredibly well done, meticulously detailed, and when I'm not getting raped very fun. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong that I keep losing, please, please tell.

5. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Otherwise:

@Gringoesteban: that's a lot of angry faces there :blush:
    This is still a beta though, and the only way I know to strike a balance is to try a bit low, or a bit high, and take it in the middle. I know it is not pleasant to invest hours (days?) into the mod to realize you will be buldozered by some Persians. So again, sorry, and thanks for dedicating so much time testing RFRE :).

@Salamander
    Un grand merci pour le feedback, bonne vacances! Yet... I am not sure how far I can accomodate your suggestion ... Imperial roads are not an option I like, and if they come with intelligence, they would be pretty useless anyway (too late). No mine on plains, if only for artistic reasons. Plus I already find there are too many shields produced around. Also (gee, i am saying no to eveything :blush: ), no catapult with 2 moves! Artillery is already too good as it is. Limes from 75 to 20 is really extreme but I could consider reducing it nonetheless, especially if the Germans do well in the current version's great invasions! Navis acturia are spawn by a wonder, you should have 3 or 4 as the game end, or would you wish more than that? Corruption is already seriously decreased for next patch. Modifying conquest.ini ... ok ... that can be done.

@Naziassbandit

Post the request I will second it :) As it is, I am already so happy with the special contributions we got from the CFC community (auxiliaries, corvus!)
    Legionaries got real worst from my reading by the 3rd century, and not only in disciplin, especially considering the pitiful reforms undertook by Constantine (palatine troops, overpaid and getting lazy in cities, while limitanei troops were underpaid and living in pitiful conditions at the border with little hope of improvement).

@Lovegun

Welcome to this thread and to CFC. You got a fatal crash :( aargh. You are the 2nd person who report that... Gringoesteban had something similar, but at a different time. I am clueless on the reason behind the problem. The mod, civ, a computer problem. No idea :( You don't get any error message don't you?
    Corpus juris civilis wonder should be doing fine looking in the editor. You can only build it in Byzantium/Constantinopolis once you have reached the tech "Justinian the great".
    Propaganda should be much more expensive in next patch, for cities under a "hostile monarchy" regime, I know no way to avoid the player to get imperial cohorts in these cities...

@Jvoustas
    The celtic warrior is a new unit that came within last patch I think. Check your package, it should be there. Alternatively, wait for the new patch, that should come sometime this week. The elves are indeed playing pirates in RFRE :)

6. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@Trajan 13

Thanks for the feedback :) Apologies for having created such a frustrating mod lol. Really it wasn't my target. Ok: hundreds of numidian horsemen sounds very strange and indeed an impossible odd for yound Rome. It shouldn't be so! Carthage has a wonder which spawn them, but at 1 per 4 turns: that can be a lot, but still it is managable. They can't be built by the Phoenician too. At what difficulty level are you playing? And are you sure you plya with the latest patch and the correct BIQ? Some earlier versions were much more difficult than 0.922!

7. Trajan13

Trajan13 Warlord

No no no don't apologize, I'm not complaining or blaming, just asking for advice. :) I mean it's an awesome mod, I just figured it had beaten me soundly four times, so it couldn't hurt to ask. When I said hundreds it was a generalization/guess about what I would face if I tried another game where I delay fighting carthage. I didn't actually count the numbers I faced in game, but they seemed to have enough to beat my armies soundly in Spain and Sicily, and overwhelm the light garrisons I had left in Corsica/Sardigna. Difficulty level, started second from easiest, dropped down to easiest. I think I'm using the latest version, but I'll check again.

I'm just wondering if you have a recommendation for fighting Carthage. I think I'm sure delaying an attack is suicide, but I seemed to be simply out produced and definitely out navied by Carthage when I attacked ASAP.

I have to ask two questions though. With regards to the Numidian Horsemen though, is it historical that they are more powerful than a Republican legion? I mean they have a 10 attack to my legions seven, and I think they have more defense. They are along with Barcae real wonder weapons when used in significant numbers, though Barcae makes sense IMO.
    Secondly, the war weariness in Republic seems too high. Set on high, a war becomes disorder at home quickly enough, and when fighting the long war with Carthage, I have to chose between crippling my science for happiness or having my empire crippled by revolt. If I remember correctly the Republic conquered all of Italy, Sicily, Carthage, Greece and Gaul before becoming a more dictatorial government, yet didn't have any significant war weariness. In fact, a war brought prestige, wealth, slaves abd gained the generals political clout and popularity, rather than spawing revolts. It of course could be for game balance, but historically having War Weariness set to high seems off.

I'm going to give it another go though, see if I can't crush that bastard Hannibal:hammer::hammer: :)

8. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

Going after Carthage ASAP is the right strategy. ("Carthage must be destroyed!") They will become stronger and stonger as time goes by. But in 1st Punic war you probably shouldn't do more than taking the Corsica, Sicily, and Sardinia. Of course it would be nice to taking Palma and Carthago Nova, but it's very difficult due to Carthagian naval force.

Just fortify the three islands for a while, and soon you'll be able to sign a truce with Carthage with a very good term. (a lot of gold per turn or even a city in Spain) That weakens Carthage, stops war weariness, and gives you some time to increase your power. (Balistae, Scipio's army, etc) Next, conquer Magna Graeca and Cisalpine Gauls, and attack Carthage in Spain by land route. If you hurry, there shouldn't be more than 2-3 elephant armies there. Usually they can be dealt with your armies after some bombardment by ballistae or velites.

Naval domination is not such a good idea since Carthage has better ships and strong pirates are roaming the sea. All you need early is a couple of cumbas to transport your troops and some tiremes to guard them.

All Roman units, in fact pretty much all units in this mod are defensibly weak. If you leave any unit alone exposed to enemy attack when you end your turn, either in sea or land, you can consider it dead in the next turn. So you always need to focus on offense, move your units together and attack first. If an enemy force approaches to your city, move back your main force there and counterattack; most of the time you can't rely on the defensive units in the city.

9. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

1. Historically Numidian horsemen were the strongest cavalry in the ancient mediterranean world, probably until the Huns came along. They were the decisive factor in Hannibal's victory at Cannae. And one of the reason Scipio was able to defeat Hannibal at Zama was because he succeeded in making Numidian tribes Roman allies and coorporated their cavalry in his troops.

In the gameplay, well, nothing much can be done to deal with them. If you can see them, maintain the distance (3 hexes) so that you can attack first in the next turn. Good thing is after you conquer Numida you can build a wonder and control Numian horsemen yourself. With blitz ability and fast movement in hills, they are the best mounted unit till the late-game.

2. The early war weariness is a big problem indeed. To deal with it, you must elliminate Epirus as soon as possible, and not start a war with another tribe before you finish the war you are engaged in, either by ellimination or truce. It's another reason why the 1st punic war shouldn't last long. You'll also need to building temples and Circus Maximus early.

10. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

Thank you!
    1. I didn't get any error message; the next turn just did not start, with "please wait" message on the right bottom corner. I waited for about 10 minutes twice and then gave up. (Starting a new RFRE game does not take more than 3-5 minutes in my PC.) Hopefully it won't happen in newer versions.

2. Funny thing is I was able to bulid in Constantinople Hagia Sophia and Bellisarus Army, which are all available with the Justinian the Great tech, without any problem. My government was absolute principate; I wonder if it should have been the Christian gov. Was anyone able to build this wonder?

3. RFRE stimulated my interest in Roman history so much that I bought a book titled "Warfare in the classical world." This book has the illustrations of Roman legions and allied troops in different ages, with detailed written descriptions. I am satisfied with the current unit graphics, but I'll scan the pages and upload them soon, hoping it will be of some help. I hope it won't be a copyright violation...

11. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

It is really great to hear that :)

Once 1.0 is out, and if I have the time and still the motivation do do so, I think I will go through a complete remade of the art (mostly splashes). But until then, no art change yet!

New big patch on the way...

12. Gaias

Gaias Earthman

Hey Pink!

Just was wondering when you finish v1.0, you could do some different difficulty versions. You know, easier would be less units longer spawn times and vise vera with harder. I mean it could be better in the long run for a pre determined difficulty setting as mentioned above, other than the arbritrary one set in the game.

13. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

New patch is up: thanks Thunderfall for the quick upload! It includes all previous update since v0.6, thus it is a big baby (32 MB), with the final movie which I hope will work fine. Let me know if there is any problem with the package. If you still have the modpack zipped somewhere, it suggest you to go with a clean install (delete all, and reinstall the pack, then the patch). Note that the BIQs are no longer named after the version they belong: they are now simply "RFRE 275BC" and "RFRE 125BC".

I will be away all tomorrow but back on Wednesday. Hope it all goes well.

14. LionQ

LionQ Noble

Is it possible to install the 0.93 patch and continue your round, or do you need to start all over again after installing?

15. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

16. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

Minor issue.... The RFRE v0.922 Civilopedia says that a city must have a Bibliotecha before an Academia can be constructed. However, the prerequisite building for an Academia is actually a Forum, not a Bibliotecha. Given that a Bibliotecha increases science output, as does an Academia, then the way the Civilopedia entry is worded would be a more logical way to set things up. (Kind of like in generic Civ when you must have a library before building a university). I don't really care either way, but I wanted to point out the discrepancy between the BIQ and the Civilopedia.

17. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

I noticed that too. I wasn't sure if it was a typo or a mis-configuration.

18. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

The Roman army (3rd centrury BC)
    Warry, J. (1995). Warfare in the Classical World. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.
    Copyright 1995 Salamander Books Ltd.

Attached Files:

19. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

Marius' legionary
    Warry, J. (1995). Warfare in the Classical World. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.

Attached Files:

20. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

The soldiers of Augustus

Attached Files: