Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Gaias said:
....This SS clearly shows that the Gaul Goods is in Narbo's city radius. The fact is that Tolosa will gather enough culture to expand into the one tile where the Gaul Goods is located.....
In the 125 BC game, the gaul goods starts in Roman territory (radius of Narbo) but then the Gaulic city's culture expands and the resource is lost to the Romans until the Player declares war on Gaul. I tried sacrificing five slave units in Narbo but that did not boost the city's culture enough to expand the border to encompass the Gaul Good resource again.

pinktilapia said:
Should the Parthians be strengthened a bit (note the Sassanid have been weakened)?
Per my earlier post, my first war with the Persians in v0.922 went well because their cavalry was off wandering around the desert. The first way to "strengthen" the Persians would be to keep their units in the field of play.

After peace was declared, the Persians put a stack of 110 cavalry units right on my border. I waited 20 turns for the peace treaty to expire then surrounded those cav units with Velites so they could not retreat. Next I launched a stack of 130+ Miles Alarius against the trapped cavalry units, exterminating them in a single turn. A human player would have positioned the cavalry 3 squares back - at a safe distance. Unfortunately nothing can be programmed into the RFRE MOD to improve the AI's terrible military tactics.

With the Persian military decimated, I conquered four Persian Heartland cities without a single additional casualty before I felt guilty about expanding into "unconquerable" territory and stopped my advance.

One way the Persians should be strengthened is so that their Heartland cities cannot be taken. I suggest increasing the defensive value of Persian Heartland terrain from +200% to +9,999% (or whatever the max is). Give the Persians a special garrison unit, say A1, D99, M0, +99 HP that cannot be built (require Roma resource) and requires no support. Put a half dozen of those units into each Persian Heartland city.

gringoesteban said:
One way the Persians should be strengthened is so that their Heartland cities cannot be taken. I suggest increasing the defensive value of Persian Heartland terrain from +200% to +9,999% (or whatever the max is). Give the Persians a special garrison unit, say A1, D99, M0, +99 HP that cannot be built (require Roma resource) and requires no support. Put a half dozen of those units into each Persian Heartland city.

Well this could also help with some late game problems. Near the end, the Roman Empire has so much units that it is considered to be stronger than any other nations by the military advisors. So, by creating a immobile unit with no support, max hp and max offense, it could put the favor back toward the other civs which would then think that it is easier to conquer you. I read somewhere that the MA calculates civ strengh by using mostly the attack value and number of hp of every units.

Edit - And if you put very little def value to that unit, say 1, it can be easily killed by us. This means that you can also boost early civ strengh by placing that kind of unit in the beginning (so that Gallia appears stronger and makes an attack or 2 and other civs such as Cartage dont forget to demand tribute from time to time). It also helps with 1 city civ since it will boost their apparent strengh toward other AI civ.

I tested the third century AD in a modified v0.922 where the spawn rate of the Wonder producing German units was set to 1 per 3 turns. (I believe the v0.922 default was 1/2, which as others have pointed out would have been overwhelming). The 1/3 ratio worked very well. I lost almost all military units deployed on my northern frontier, and just as my defenses were about to crumble, I secured a peace treaty with the Scythians that forced the Germans to declare peace as well. If the setting in v0.93 has been set to only 1/4 then that would not be enough to really test the Player's defenses, provided that the Player has prepared himself by building Limes and pre-positioning lots of units to defend the Rhine.

The Crisis of the Third Century (C3C) Wonder that makes 5 people unhappy in all cities did not have an impact. The Player has enough Wonders (Colliseum, etc) and extra luxury resources (Britania, etc) creating happy people that cities do not experience revolt or starvation during the C3C period before the Opus Imp Soldati is built.

That being said, my civ decended into Civil War around 260 AD (even though I did not request it). It kind of automatically happened. I reloaded a save game and boosted the luxury rate, thinking that maybe cities were unhappy, but the same thing happened. I had the governor default set to "manage citizen happiness" so none of my cities were in revolt. Was this civil war somehow programmed into RFRE? If so, it was great timing, right in the middle of C3C when Rome was in chaos. But I wasn't aware that one could MOD a civil war to happen at a specific time.

Gunner said:
Well it seems that we are both somewhat confused in our Gaul goods assertions. Look at these two pics:

Come now, real Romans play the 275 BC biq ;)
Wow, on my 275BC game, the Gaul Goods is depicted in your 125BC biq.

Gunner said:
That's pretty weird Fictionles, do we all have the same version? I checked my biq, and its definitely .93 and I'm sure I didn't move the Gauls goods. Is there a version after .93 I'm not aware of?
No idea. But I know for a fact its been in the same spot since .92, cause I had to check to see if the Miles Alarius Celtic units still required Gauls Goods since the culture moved.

I also saw I had the galatians on the map too so it isn't a map older than .93. So unless there was an update I don't know about I'm not sure what's going on.

Wow that is very strange Gunner... very strange indead. I just looked at my 125BC biq that I have and it has the resource in the same spot as the SS that I posted. So I do not know what is going on with yours or for mine for that matter if it suppose to be like yours. Hmmm ... :confused:

This is honestly the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I must have changed it or something, right? But I don't remember ever doing that. Maybe on one of those nights playing RFRE into the early hours affected my memory :mischief: Here's the pic of mine.

You maybe need to make some hist. corrections or it's my fault. ;) Check wikipedia. - Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I'm not English. -

http://www.livius.org/di-dn/diadochi/war11.html

Aegyptus: Are the Ptolemies with Ptolemaios II. And they are Greeks! Greeks, who conquered and hold Egypt. The Ptolemies has the biggest army at 275 BC and mostly with Hoplites, large numbers simply mercenaries, and Light Cavalry. Why the Ptolemies don't have the chance to build up Hoplites, and only Greeks from Hellas can do? - Yes: The Ptolemies has at 275 BC the richest and most powerful empire.

Persia: What are Persian at 275 BC? All territory of your Persia was at that time a part of the Seleucids. Maybe you use older map informations from the time after death of Alexander? Did you?

Syria: Is 'Seleucids' or Seleucid Empire, not Syria. The Seleucid Empire was 275 BC the largest empire, and after that in many wars, esp. against the Ptolemies. Syria is in 275 BC a wrong name.

Thracia: Where is the Thracian King? He was one of the Diadochs.

And please: Try to play with the AIs, so can optimize their armies and settings, so Roma get more realistic and stronger opponents.

;)

Ahhh! It's elementary my dear Gunner! Elementary!

C3C = :crazyeye:

@beck
Unfortunately making the AI do anything else is impossible. It is hardcoded within the game itself.

Though Civ4 does look promising with their AI SDK.

Beck, as far as I know, none of us (especially Pinlk) concerned with history thinks Syria is the same as the Seleucids and obviously the Seleucids have been chopped up to give Parthia/Persia a chance later, otherwise you would have a huge Seleucid power, ect. ect... The inaccuracies are for gameplay value... Civ3 limits alot! I totally agree that the little facts, like those nice ones you mentioned, are important and necessary, but Civ3 doesn't agree and spits on us! :(

When designing a scenario such as this one, you have to consider how it plays throughout the entire game, not just if the start position is perfect. The way it is set up now the local situation is roughly accurate at the time the Roman player arrives there. Try playing a game and you will see what I mean.

What do mean "play with the AIs"? You know the AI can't be modded at all in Civ 3. But they have been given HUGE incentives and advantages to try to make them act historically (such as giving them unit producing wonders and requiring them to get certain resources to build their super units.)

But really, things make alot more sense once you've played a game. And if you have please correct me.

@Gaias

This resource (horse bringing Roma) is weird... very weird. I guess I will have to check that in-game to see if I have the same problem. Anybody know of a thread discussing this issue if it is a Civ problem?!

@Gunner

I will a tad strengthen Illyria by providing them with light cavalry. After all, they introduced horse warfare to the Italian peninsula!

Keep the SS coming, with captions! These will be used :)

@Blitz

Ok, it was rational to make the Parthians able to go in desert. Now, considering the problem, I will remove that ability. And don't be so bitter about the AI, I am sure we will succeed in making something good out of it :)

@Gunner, Gaias, Fictionles

Gaul good is supposed to be near Narbo, as shown on ]Gaias SS
Gunner, get some sleep old man :) @Naziassbandit Ok, that "rom...ugh the Seleukids may contest that early on).

Top Bottom