Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Chronicle:

BC 262
After the First Punic War we begin Civil Engineering.
Mare Nostrum is built in Neapolis!
Carthage is still in war with Aetolia and Magna Graecia.
I think I shall prepare against Magna Graecia and the city Bovarium…

BC 259
Bovanum is now romanized – by military force… :)

I think putting Hamilcar in Sicily would make things interesting. Pretty much the entire 1st Punic war was fought on Sicily, but in RFRE I usually conquer Lilybaeum in a turn or two.

A very interesting thing just happened in my game! I was starting to think about an invasion of Pontus, and then I looked at Sinope and saw that it was controlled by the Persians! Also, the border to the east of Sinope was Syrian. In fact, Pontus' capital was all the way at Cherosnos. Thats one more threat I won't have to deal with now, but the Persians might get to be a problem.

Oh, I think it IS possible to take a capital city by propoganda after all. I just did it so its actually definitely possible. Since I added in the 'old' cities for Bithnyia and Permagum into my game, I plan to propoganda them and abandon them to make it fully historical.

Here's another nice ss:

I've been keeping track of my entire game so far with a timeline and pics like that. I plan on eventually putting them together into a pdf for people to read if they want to. Who knows, it might be helpful to new players. Its mainly for my own enjoyment though.

@Gunner

Arrr, I will add praesidium to Pontus too!
Why is there a Jerusalem anchor resource near Athens??! This is not suppose to spawn. It seems you will be able to crucify Jesus in Greece :eek:
Did you add a unit to the mod? What is that roman legion that appear in Rhodus and Delphi, and where does it come from? Also, color for Macedonia seems odd.... that 0.93 right?
Good to hear about the PDF idea!

The bible is looking good but I feel it is a bit too modern for the mod. Your call!

@ROTCWinter, thanks :) Let me know if you give it a try. This mod was started about a year ago, and became a real team work starting last February. The beta is nearly fully tested and tuned - I look forward for the time people will actually create scenario for the mod so that I may enjoy it!

@Meleagr
I have given more defense to Carthage, and a bit more offensive army. Thinking about how to make Sicily a better battlefield too. Maybe a Hamilcar wonder in Panormus. My problem is that on one hand I have players stating the early game is much too hard, and on the other you and others finding it too easy... :crazyeye: You can get the luxury from Narbo, you just need a road come on! Mare Nostrum has always required a elite naval unit.

In addition, I have added a few light cavalry in Illyria, praesidium in many Carthaginian and Greek cities, given a slightly larger army to the Cisalpine celts.

Now thinking on how I will add the Goths :)

pink, im still here, just lurking on a much less regular basis, and i am quite happy to see all the progress and am VERY happy to see the goths and galatians, but i wuold say this will add some time before 1.0. ill be around testing it some more, but keep up the good work!

Has anyone gotten a Legio Scipionus from the Imperium Scipionus in v.93 yet? I built it the turn I got the tech in Capua but it has yet to produce one. Since then I've researched both Latifundia and Macedonian Wars, and even put off the later for a few turns to see if one would be produced but I havn't had any luck. I know it takes 15 turns now but it has easily been over 20 and I have yet to see one. Can anyone else confirm this?

Played 15 more turns. Carthage is powerful.

Spent 2 elite legios to kill Hamilcar and about 10 turns to wipe all mercenaries and horsemen. I love when AI attacks with hordes and when it has better movement, it makes me think tactically and use all the terrain and improvement bonuses. This battle was beautiful. Then conquered Valencia easily and now waiting for my armies to repair before Cartago Nova.

The islands are weak. Lilibayeum's main force left the city and was destroyed on the battlefield. The city is taken. No losses. Sardinia - no problem also. 2 more legios killed in Korsika. I had to land more troops to conquer this heroic town.

Carthagenian navy is nice. They made some efforts with marines and landed 2 elephants in Sicily. No chance. They stopped landings after i destroyed both their cumbas. I wonder why AI doesn't use the transport capacity of quinquiremes. May be you should give more cumbas to Carthage.

They asked for peace with 40 gpts. I rejected and they possibly used this gold to make Aetolians nad Macedonians declare war on me, despite i already signed military alliances with these betrayers.

In some turns i realised that i have nothing to build in the main cities. Roma, Pisae, Capua (with all its huge production), Neapolis. The last 2 can't grow beyond 5, don't need temples and can't be used as the legio's pump. By the way i already have enough legios (some of them sent to build a road to Marseilles). So what i'm doing in Capua is buiding horsemen (no pop cost) and disbanding them in the smaller cities. Boring.

Pink, may be you should put Capua on the coast to represent Roman ship-building potential (they created huge fleets in few years copying Cartagenians triremes). You may also remove all the roman triremes and the ability to build them in 275-264 BC. Romans did not have navy until the 1st war.

Mod is terrific!

Meleagr said:
Soam
may be it's due to resources needed for Legio Scipionis

No that can't be it. I built the wonder and it is supposed to produce them every 15 turns.

i had similar problem playing Rhye's mod. the tobacco resourse ran out and the slave wonder didn't work.

Meleagr said:
i had similar problem playing Rhye's mod. the tobacco resourse ran out and the slave wonder didn't work.
It worked fine for me, although I had to build it in Sicily. I got 2 of them produced before I got the Macedonian Wars.

@pink
How about an upgraded unit for Carthage that comes with the Hamilcar unit? It would balance Carthage being easy in the early game, but have it become much more difficult by the 2nd Punic War?

Although I think the AI itself has alot to do with how powerful/weak Carthage is. I've found I can manipulate to a degree where the AI is going to strike. Perhaps adjusting the AI aggressiveness at the start of the game would help?

Soam said:
Has anyone gotten a Legio Scipionus from the Imperium Scipionus in v.93 yet? I built it the turn I got the tech in Capua but it has yet to produce one. Since then I've researched both Latifundia and Macedonian Wars, and even put off the later for a few turns to see if one would be produced but I havn't had any luck. I know it takes 15 turns now but it has easily been over 20 and I have yet to see one. Can anyone else confirm this?

I built mine in Massila and got two Scipio's armies with no problem. (Later two Caesar's armies too) If you research Macedonian Wars in less than 15 turns right after you build Imperium Scipionus, you won't get any army because the Macedonian Wars tech makes the wonder obsolete. Other than that, I can't think of any reason why the wonder wouldn't work.

Hehe, I timed my Scipio wonder so that I got three out of it. I researched the library tech before it too.

I've modded several things in my game. For one, I added the 'Port' resources around some of the important cities. It adds +7 commerce. I used that graphic because it looked kinda cool and was a little bit appropriate.

The legion graphic is the graphic from civ 2 for the legion. I saw it sitting around somewhere on the forum. I replaced the Praesidium with that because it looks much more roman. It doesn't have animantions, but the praesidium mostly just sits there and looks pretty anyway.

I'm just bubbling with excitement from your news about the Goths pink :)

I honestly have no clue what's going on with my version. It says .93 on it and I remember putting .93 in. Yet somehow I have all of these weird things like the Macedonian color and that Gauls resource being all weird. I really don't think I ever changed them.

My god, Pink, awesome work recreating a Gothic empire! I had to change my pants after seeing how far you've gone for accuracy on that ;) although technically it is thought to have stretched to the Baltic too, but don't change it! Germania needs to be strong! I'm also impressed that it won't weaken the Daci too much...

One super important comment- who are the Beruli suppose to be? Do you mean Heruli? I think the Bastarnae would be cool, they were important barabarians who resisted EVERYONE (Rome, Germanics/Goths, Scythians/Huns) by holding out in the Carpathians... I like the placement of the Vandals by the way

Chronicle:

BC 252
I begin attack Gallia Cisalpina with two gorups
After Civil Engineering we take learning Praetor

I spot Carthage’s hero, Hamilcar near Genua!
Carthage heads with a significant force… to the east, against Delphi?

BC 250
I take Ravenna and Genua – now it is to turn to Mediolanum…

BC 246
I take Mediolanum – it’s the end for Gallia Cisalpina!

NOW THE QUESTION:
Go and attack Carthage to the west, Hispania?
Or go and grab Illyria?

I have no real defenses on the islands ont the Med. Sea,
All my forces are up North – I head for Illyria…

Chronicle:

BC 245
Carthage has destroyed the Aetolians…

I make contact and embassy with Gallia…
They have quite a land and force – maybe they could of some help later on…

BC 241
My big army is now ready to take Illyria…

BC 237
Pharus is built
After Praetor, we begin Slavery, treasury is growing
Aquileia and now the Illyrian capital, Salonae is captured!
Hamilcar is gone towards Pannonia!

BC 227
All of Illyria is Roman!
I made contact and embassy with Germania…

Now it is best to show a picture:

Attachments

• rfre-BC-227.JPG
    rfre-BC-227.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 159
@V.Soma
Beware Carthage! You better not forget her for too long or you are doomed.
Massilia was razed :eek:? Hamilcar has been very active. All the remaining Greek cities in Spain are punic now! Good luck with Hannibal!

@Blitz,
You can't be serious. I did that real fast ;) I will replace the Beruli (shown by one a my maps) by the Bastarnae. Do you have some suggestion for the name of the Goth civ. I currently call it Bosphorus (from Regnum Bosphorum). Would Gothia (like Germania, Scythia, etc.) be correct?

@Soam
To have an imperium generating armies, you need:
-the control of the resources required to build the wonder (i.e. wheat)
-not to have researched the tech which make the wonder obsolete (i.e. Macedonian Wars)
If you meet these two, it should work.

@Fictionles
It just happened I have a remaining non-utilized Carthaginian unit, but I wish to first wait for next patch to be tested before adding more to Carthage strenght. I already feel I made it too strong for 0.94

@Coltrane
1.0 is really at the corner now. Some feedback on the great invasions, and if one can get Rome falling to the Barbarian, then I will call it end of the beta.

@Meleagr
Sadly, because of the greaty library wonder Rome owns, it is impossible not to give it navigation and naval warfare as the game start. But seing how triremes are crap, I don't mind to much. I can make these early boats worse too ;)

V. Soma said:
Chronicle:

BC 245
Carthage has destroyed the Aetolians…

I make contact and embassy with Gallia…
They have quite a land and force – maybe they could of some help later on…

BC 241
My big army is now ready to take Illyria…

BC 237
Pharus is built
After Praetor, we begin Slavery, treasury is growing
Aquileia and now the Illyrian capital, Salonae is captured!
Hamilcar is gone towards Pannonia!

BC 227
All of Illyria is Roman!
I made contact and embassy with Germania…

Now it is best to show a picture:

Wow! :eek: Cartage has been agressive in your game! You're in for a hell of a fight when you'll try to go after them. :D

Top Bottom