Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

@Gunner

I tought that unit remind me something. It is some time I didn't play Civ2 (4 years?).
I really wonder what's going on with your game. The Jerusalem anchor resource in a coast tile near Athean is really odd!

@Pink For the Goth, did you make at least on of their city unconquerable by either the AI or Rome? If not, they will probably get destroyed by the Huns or the player if he has the time.
And for my idea on units making the military advisor saying your army is stronger/weaker than xxx, you could add (another one :( ) a wonder producing those units that can be built at the historical time that the civ should look stronger. Just an idea though, I don't think it is really necessary for the playing of RFRE.

I am keeping that suggestion in mind. Maybe just one unit of say attack 100, HP100 would already be enough. Of course, it would immobile, and with no defense.

No worry for the Goths (concerning a possible conquest by Rome): all Visigoth cities are locked in ancestral forests/Carphathes. I just added them an Ostrogoth city also locked in such forests. Those two other Ostrogoth cities along the Balck Sea can be conquered by Rome, but good luck with the Huns there later on. I don't mind if the Goths finish conquered by Scythia/Huns :)

The coin Jerusalem graphic is the same graphic I used for my new 'port resource'. Its completely intentional.

What color does everyone else have Macedon as? I think since Macedon and Magna Graecia have the same color in the editor when a game is started it assigns Macedon another color.

Did anybody heard (or play) that :

the great invasions

no, looks like a europa universalis clone.
interesting,thanks for pointing it out.
havenot seen it in a store in holland so far.

pinktilapia said:
Did anybody heard (or play) that :king: :

the great invasions

Does kinda look like a shallow EU clone. But who knows?

Here is my compiled nitpick extraodanaire:

1) In the Chronicles age all of the techs say AC instead of AD. I've never seen AC before.

2) Could you make that wonder in Palma which gives slingers an improvement instead? Either that or just bag it, because I want it to be an improvement so I can sell it. Not worth the high upkeep cost at all. I just end up disbanding the slingers.

3) I don't really like the new barbarian resource system where you can't hook your cities up to the main network to build the auxiliaries. I understand that the purpose of it is to not be building barb units in Italy and such. Could we possibly make them unbuildable and make an improvement which auto-produced them?

4) I see that the Celtic Cavalry are made obsolete after Marius. They should definitely be availabe after then. Caesar used them extensively. Maybe obsolete them at Augustus or the Antonines.

5) The little popup science advisor thing for Sulla's rule reads, "With on each end Mithridates and Sulla, will the Republic survive?" I would add an 'one' in between 'with' and 'on' so that it says "With one on each ..." It would still be an akward sentence, but thats better.

And here is the progress of my empire since I last stopped:

216 BC – Cisalpine Gauls defeated. But I must say that they but up a very brave fight, err.., no I don’t. Matter of fact it was a complete pushover.

208 BC – Massilia (siege) and Magna Graecia taken. Two Greeks down, three to go! Massilia is the city where I have the Gaul goods right next to it but everyone else has it somewhere else. But I swear I didn’t move it! No really! I would never play RFRE so long that my memory is permanently affected, never.

200 BC – Attack Carthage again, but with two prongs. That’s right, I’m expecting their entire army just to surrender once they hear that I am attacking them from two sides. Bow before my incredible human intellect!
• Eastern landing debacle (lose 4 legions, most of fleet, almost an army). We won’t talk about this too much.
• Western invasion hard but smooth with minimal losses. I’m sure all of those Carthaginians were really hitting themselves in the heads now that they have finally realized that a foothold in Africa is MUCH worse to give to your archenemy than some stupid slingers I just disband anyway.
• Get attacked in Sicily by several Numidian cavalry, almost lose city. When I first saw that stack of 10 attack cavalry land I thought, “No problem, my garrison in Sicily will take care of them.” Then I realized that most of my former Sicily garrison was killed on the beaches of Leptis Magna. Stop laughing! Now! What happened to that whole ‘bow before my superior intellect thing’?

192 BC – Illyrium destroyed (easy side campaign). If you thought that Epirus was a sissy then you haven’t seen Illyrium. I mean, pink? How are soldiers supposed to valiantly charge into battle behind their disgraceful pink battle standard?

190 BC – Begin siege of Carthage.

189 BC – Carthage taken, very hard with moderate casualties
• So ends my greatest enemy so far. It really wasn’t terribly difficult when I look back on it. I think that war with Egypt helped immensely in my ability to capture Spain and win the first Punic War. I actually got most of my fleet destroyed during the second Punic War.

187 BC – Aetolia conquered (one turn). Greeks. Baby blue. Need I say more?
• War against Numidia. I figured that I should kill this little pest while my huge army is in the area. Multiple stacks of 10 attack cavalry can’t be that bad, right?

186 BC – War against Achaia.

183 BC – Corinth (Achaia) taken. Look at that! A greek city state took MORE than one turn to kill. They’ll probably write some epic poem about that one.
• Campaign against Numidians winding down.
• Permagum taken with propaganda. Don’t you just love taking this huge cites with 12+ defenders for a little bit of cash? Its really great. Finally a smart civ that recognizes the fact that they might as well join up with the almighty ass-kickin’ Rome.
• Seems that Pontus is in some trouble, Sinope is in Persian hands and Syria controls the city to Sinope’s east. I may invade Egypt next if the Pontic threat is truly removed.

177 BC – Sneak attack against ME by Macedon. I’m the only one allowed to sneak attack! They will pay for that!
• Those sneaky Macedonians landed three phalanxes by Rhodus. By sheer luck my garrison of one praesidium and two velites holds the city.
• Peace signed with Numidians after taking all of their take-able cities. Now we can go to Egypt!
• Eliminated Pontus by propagandizing Chersoneus, their last city. Seems that the Syrians and Persians did a good job killing Pontus for me. That puts the Pontics pretty close to the Illyrians on the patheticness scale.
• Next target: Egypt. I’m preparing my whole North African army to attack the land of the Pharaohs. That’s 3 Scipio armies, one Consular army, 8 elite legios, 6 ballistas, and a crapload of velites. The Egyptians are in trouble:D

173 BC –I used the worker-sitting-outside-city-to-draw-out-all-the-defenders trick to conquer Larissa and massacre its former defenders. OOOOooooo look it’s a worker! We wants it! We must send our whole army just to make sure it doesn’t escape.

161 BC – Capture Eretria from Macedon
• Nicaea propagandized from Bithnyia for 1934 gold. I’m amassing a nice Asia province now.

159 BC – The conquest of Egypt begins! Take Bernice on the first turn with my three amphibious Scipio armies. Need I say? No casualties reported.

151 BC – Take Cyrene from Egypt, almost no resistance

147 BC – Propagandize Nicomedia
• Egypt has sent several HUGE stacks against me at Cyrene! About 30 hoplites total and 10 pedites.

143 BC – Massacred Egyptian army in the fields near Cyrene over several turns. I forced them into the open by positioning my (4) armies on the hills around the cities. It was a complete slaughter. I think the Egyptian army will be broken after this. The way to Alexandria is clear!

141 BC – Finally finish off Macedon. I really wanted to raze one of their cities since they sneak attacked me, but decided against it. If the computer could have recognized an action like that and been intimidated I definitely would have.

Buh uh... sounds like you are ready to try the 'god' difficulty level. I hope the Parthians make you pay for these ugly tricks you used. Meanwhile, I really wonder how I am going to finalize RFRE with extreme posts reporting the mod as either much too easy or much too hard. 3 scipio armies is really abusing the game, but there is little I can do to avoid you to get them if you want to ;)

Parthians smarthians! I'll just advance right into their heartland and completely rely on some questionable local guides. All of my cavalry and advance guard will be way ahead of my main force, and I'll just forge ahead because I'm ROMAN and I'm RICH. 6000 horse archers and 1000 cataphracts could never defeat my force of 28000 legions and 4000 cavalry!

Can anyone name the battle?

I don't think 3 Scipio legions is abusing it that much. Wait till I get to Trajan's legions ;)

pinktilapia said:
@Soam
To have an imperium generating armies, you need:
-the control of the resources required to build the wonder (i.e. wheat)
-not to have researched the tech which make the wonder obsolete (i.e. Macedonian Wars)
If you meet these two, it should work.
Yes, but with the latest changes Rome does not have any access to wheat, but through Mare Nostrum. And this resourse-trade ability becomes obsolete when you discover 2nd war. So you have to build Scipios in Sicily or (as i did) capture the harbor in Cartago Nova and build road to Marseilles.

I tested Soam problem with some reloads and figured it out. When you finish some buildings the same turn you finish the research you still can choose Scipios because the resource is yet there. But the next turn you don't have it. It's a funny bug of Civ3.

Pink, smth is wrong with the new harbor concept. After researching 2nd war you are to lose resources in Italy. Why should i build Scipios in Sicily? Historically they were consuls and lived in Rome.

And what if you're unlucky and Carthage conquers Sicily? In that case you need armies even more but not able to get them.

Some solutions:
- put wheat resource in Italy (with no road - to make people working on that);
- put portus commercii in Neapolis because Italy must have at least one harbor (you still can't get gaullic resource with no road);
- remove wheat requirement from Scipios wonder (change it to Roma resource and make it 15-20 shields to build).

Pink, to answer your question, yes, "Gothia" is a very good name for the civ. even though one might think not, since it is similarly synthetic as others, Gallia, Dacia, Germania, but it is used by scholars of history and of course has the well known Latin/Greek suffix... Jeez, those Romans pretty much made everything a -ia :) by the way... "Bastarni" might be more Latin than Bastarnae, but our Latin experts should correct me/let us know...

For anyone who is truly interested in the Goths (Vesi [don't freak out, Pink... Vesi is the true Germanic, Visi is the Latin] or Ostro), the book "History of the Goths" by Herwig Wolfram is in my opinion the best, most comprehensive academic resource on the Goths... This book was reccomended to me (which I bought on amazon cheap and am so happy with) by my Old English/Germanic studies professor, here at UNR, so the credit for such an awesome find must go to him.

Gunner points out AC in the year description, but shouldn't AC be just CE, "[after] the Common Era," just like BC is now BCE, "before the Common Era," since not everyone is Christian and Christ's death is far from as momentous as some people would wish us to believe and is common use by most historians and archaeologists nowadays? Common Era is synonomous with Anno Domini because of the importance of Graeco-Roman/Judaio-Christian civilization, though.

blitzkrieg80 said:
Gunner points out AC in the year description, but shouldn't AC be just CE, "[after] the Common Era," just like BC is now BCE, "before the Common Era," since not everyone is Christian and Christ's death is far from as momentous as some people would wish us to believe and is common use by most historians and archaeologists nowadays? Common Era is synonomous with Anno Domini because of the importance of Graeco-Roman/Judaio-Christian civilization, though.
well, for historical accuracy you may use latin periodization - from the foundation of Roma. since you already have all these latin terms and names in the mod.

As to my "Chronicle"-game:

Yes, now I should pay attention to Carthage - again...
I check powergraph often, and I see I am strengthening... :)

As I said, Hamilcar disappeared to the east in Pannonia...
I conquered Savaria and Illyria - no sign of Hami.
Could it be that some Germanic barabars err... killed him???
Or may it be that H. went as far as Scythia?
He had along some 10-15 units, too - I don't see them...

Meleagr said:
Yes, but with the latest changes Rome does not have any access to wheat, but through Mare Nostrum. And this resourse-trade ability becomes obsolete when you discover 2nd war. So you have to build Scipios in Sicily or (as i did) capture the harbor in Cartago Nova and build road to Marseilles.

Ah, thank you Meleagr, I knew I wasn't losing my mind. I did infact switch to build the Imperio Scipionus in Capua on the turn that the Mare Nostrum went obsolete. I just felt it was to tedious to have to ferry those units back to Italy to fill them with regular troops. So much for convenience.

Gunner said:
Parthians smarthians! I'll just advance right into their heartland and completely rely on some questionable local guides. All of my cavalry and advance guard will be way ahead of my main force, and I'll just forge ahead because I'm ROMAN and I'm RICH. 6000 horse archers and 1000 cataphracts could never defeat my force of 28000 legions and 4000 cavalry!

Can anyone name the battle?

Now you're acting rather crass...or should I say, like Crassus.. Marcus Licinius Crassus that is, who lost the battle of Carrhae in 53BC.

A shame Rome never got rid of its nemesis Parthia. Those Sassanids would prove to be a royal pain.

@bmcgough
That's right! I was feeling really random last night.

blitzkrieg80 said:

I would really prefer using BC and AD. For one thing AD is in Latin, and I just personally can't stand the use of CE and BCE.

About the whole wheat in Sicily thing. Why would any of you NOT build Imperium Scipionis immediantly? But that's a separate issue. I think the simple solution is to give the Pharos small wonder air trade. It really makes sense. By retaining the wheat (in Sicily) requirement for Scipio, we could be in keeping with the overall philosophy of needing where the person began his conquests to build the imperium. Not just give it to the Roman player by not having to look beyond Italy.

Latin is a good reason to use the classic BC (although what was Latin for BC?) / AD

Top Bottom