1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Might be time to catch your breath or throw those 28 Velites at someone and see what happens while you have allies.

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

BC 229
    Carthage’s forces reach Italia in the Alps and clash at Greek forces!
    I have now 6 legions there and wait to catch barcaes.
    At home... Magna Graecia takes my city, Corfinium!
    (Now, the time will come that they will get what they deserve)

And yes, I kill 2 barcaes, while losing 2 legions – at Genua!

BC 227
    The next barcae took all my forces to get killed,
    So I make a peace, and get Narbo – gaul goods for Rome!
    That means the end of the First Punic War for us...
    But I hope the others will go on with the fight.
    As I see it Gallia has also attacked Carthage – or the other way around....!

Attached Files:

3. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Sweet job V. I'll post about my Macedonian war when I get a minute after dinner.

4. V. Soma

Just a sidenote, let's use "VS" as for my "name", or "Soma" :)
    I wait to see your report, woodelf!

I badly need reinforcement...
    Scipio wonder will be ready in 12 turns...

5. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Sure thing VS. :mischief:

Pressing on against Carthage.....

177BC - Captured Carthago Nova. 3 Armies, 5 Ballista, and 6 Legions completely overran the city defenses. Only the slowness of the Ballista is stopping a lightning war.

175BC - Gades goes down with a whimper. Macedonian War researched, Marius' Reforms started. Someone named the Caucasians destroyed.

171BC - Sneaky Carthaginians took Lilybaeum while attacking from a transport ship. Damn. 3 Ballista lost. Only 5 Velites to attack with on the entire island. :sad:

169BC - Lilybaeum recaptured by my Velites. Absolutely no chance of reinforcements arriving before it's retaken. I ask for an envoy and get snubbed....

167BC - 6 Legions, 1 army, and 3 Ballista landed near Cartenna. Lilybaeum lost again. Heavy losses incurred by my landing force; 3 Legions lost and army desperately wounded. 1 more army arriving by boat soon.

163BC - Rome rises up against me as the War drags on. Civil Disorder pops up everywhere, mobs run the streets. I throw caution to the wind and attack Cartenna with wounded Legions and sick armies. Down to my last healthy Legion I take the city. Time will tell if it was worth it. Peace is accepted.

20 years of peace, cash reserve building, and troop movement follow. My research has stalled due to my high support costs (135gp). I disband several older ships and eques. My Legions and Ballista are still costing me an arm and a leg so I turn them toward Macedonia....

143BC - Once my Legions and remaining armies reach the Macedonian border I declare war.

141BC - Larissa is overrun.

135BC - Eretria falls. Marius' Reforms researched, Agrarian Troubles next.

125BC - 10 years of huge losses result in Thessalonica's capture. Greek Goods found, the people rejoice. My Legions are scattered, but my armies remain so I push on......

6. jvoutsas

jvoutsas Chieftain

I attacked Mediolanum from the east i.e. not across the river surrounding it's southern and western sides.

It must have been bad luck. I was just curious. That teaches me to underestimate my foe. I'll be oversending in RFRE from now on.

7. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I always err on the side of caution, which might explain my HUGE defense budget problems....

I normally find that after I stockpile my large attacking army it was unnecessary. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

8. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Completion of the Macedonian War and a quickie just for fun. :lol:

123BC - Philippe taken.

117BC - Trimontium conquered, bye bye Antigonids.

Since my troops are just sitting there I attack the Eastern Greeks next.

113BC - War is declared and the Aetolia join our cause.

111BC - 10 Peltastes arrive on Larissa's borders. :eek: None survive, however, the grinder after Aetolia and Roman forces squeeze them. Byzantium falls after 6 defenders perish.

103BC - Athenae falls and the Templus lovis is acquired. Bye bye Eastern Greeks.

Now I'm sitting with a HUGE army and no idea where to go next. I'll most likely go after Aetolia and maybe harry the Germans some until the hammer drops.

9. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Great feedback :lol:

Gringo, I have decided to remove all maintainance cost of building that get obsolete at a stage. To balance this, and the fact Rome tends to stockpile to much gold in the middle game, corresponding tech costs have been increased (by 33%)

And yes, no city will be safe by the 3rd century :evil: (but for Rome and Constantinople)

10. V. Soma

Woodelf, you say you have an army at hand,
    how about geting back to the Carthage-topic? :)
    It is already BC 100 - if you do not attack VERY soon,
    you will face an opposing force of 40-50 units at Cartenna...

Also, time has its pressure as of reaching the main goal, to win the game...

11. woodelf

woodelf Bard

So I need to send my Legions, armies, and ballista back to Cartenna and start mowing Carthage again? I can live with that... :D

I lost my entire navy during the last 3 wars so I'll need to rebuild that and start my troop movement. Maybe by 90BC I can have everything in place for an epic showdown.

12. woodelf

woodelf Bard

@pink

When you say Rome tends to stockpile gold by the middle game...when is the middle game? I have my settings at 3-6-1; my research is dying and I'm barely staying afloat. I know my army is too big, but that's an unfortunate side effect of my gaming style. :)

13. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

Don't forget to also remove the maintenance cost of the Wonder on the island off the eastern coast of Spain that spawns Funditores. I am approaching 600 AD in my current game and I am still paying maintenance on that darn Wonder even though it expired centuries ago.

On a different topic, the movement stats of the Copie Attilae might need to be modified. It has M2 and "treat all terrain as roads" is checked. I have NOT tested this, and therefore might be wrong, but I am afraid this could give the unit the ability to move 12 (yes, twelve!) spaces inside enemy territory. (Normal road movement is six squares per turn, times 2 movement rate, equals 12 squares per turn). In this scenario, the Copie Attilae unit could outrun every Roman unit, even inside Roman territory, and even cavalry since the Roman cav units would have to stay on roads to move 12 squares in a turn. Maybe change the movement rate of Copie Attilae to M3 and check the "ignore hill" and "ignore forest". That would make the Copie Attilae able to move three spaces inside enemy territory, which is fast, but it is possible to defend against.

14. V. Soma

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I reached the point I could have made Scipionis legions, but, but...
    I realized that Rome does not have access to wheat...
    I said "huhhhh???" - and then realized I did not Mare Nostrum and now I will not...

I restart the whole damned thing...

15. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Ouch VS. I feel your pain. I can't recall where wheat is first acquired, but I know I built the Mare Nostrum around 248BC.

16. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Real noob question.....how do first save the mini-map pictures and then second attach them here? I'd love to chronicle my alternate route of history in pictures!

17. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

My guess is by using some type of screen capture program and then crop out the minimap.

18. V. Soma

to take pictures:
    1. Open the program "paint" (it is with Windows)
    2. press PrtSc button (Maybe above "Instert", next to F12
    3. Paste it into Paint

:)
    and to attache here:
    1. go Advanced here
    2. at the bottom there is "manage attachments"

19. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Thanks guys for helping the computer illiterate. :)

20. V. Soma

It is DAMNED hard to get an elite naval unit...