1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

Have you gone after some pirate ships? You get 2 veteran units at the start, and the HP of the piratae are only at 2. I usually see them in the Adriatic or by Sicily.

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Ok, now, after another frustrating start and First Punic War
    (mixed results, so to speak),

I decided to give up no reload play and will try to learn this game,
    through a slower play with reloads at points I feel I had real bad luck or a bad move.

I hope to learn RFRE and play according to history... :)

3. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

Wow, I havent checked in barely a week and there's like 6 new pages of comment!
    From what I red, it seems most of the new players to this mod have difficulty taking out Carthage fast enough while fighting the rest of the world. Just an advice : if you really get tired of seeing your navy sunk, try the 125 BC start. You start with no real huge enemies (except the obvious bad guy such as Persia, germany, ...) and it'll be great to have feedback on this map because I don't think anyone has really tested it before.

4. captain beaver

oh and VS, you really should do some reload if things go bad because once you start a good game, it is really frustrating to have to restart it because of a early invasion by another civ.

5. igorvragovic

igorvragovic Chieftain

Is there any help for the Spanish version of Civ3 ? I cannot run the scenario(s) because all the units are named in Spanish (!?!)

Thanks

6. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

I played the v0.922 125BC game through spaceship completion in 587AD. Unfortunately, the game crashed to desktop (CTD) as soon as the fifth and final part of the spaceship was completed, so I never saw a victory screen.

The great barbarian migration/invasion never came. I had a heck of a time during the Crisis of the Third Century, as mentioned in one of my previous posts (where I had set the German unit spawn rate to 1 per 3 turns) but after that I stayed at continuous peace for over 300 years.

Good thing, too -- Germany and Scythia had huge piles of units by the end of the game. Whenever Germany or Scythia demanded tribute or resources, I gave it to them, but that only happened a couple times. That being said, I'm not sure why they never attacked me. I will list their offensive units below (per my spies' reports), and they had plenty of units to overwhelm me. All of their units were just staying inside their cities or sitting on Ancestral Forest terrain. (I sent in Speculators to knock off most of their units that were not on impassible terrain). I never saw a German transport ship in this v0.922 game, although I remember seeing a German ship in a previous game.

=> I suggest giving both Germany and Scythia a Wonder that produces a bunch of A99/D0/M0 units in their capital cities beginning around say 400 AD. That might help the AI become more aggressive.

Britain sent just a couple Picti Praedatores at me during the course of the game, and I knocked them off easily. Since Britain was not in contact with any other AI civ, once I discovered the appropriate tech, I set up a Mutual Protection Plan with them to ensure they would leave me alone. (But of course I did not give them a Right of Passage Agreement!)

=> Britain needs to be strengthened in the later years of the game. Maybe drop the Picti Praedator cost to 15 shields (from 20) and increase the movement rate to 3 (from 2).

=> Also, put a couple extra bonus resources around the city of Picti since that will be Britania's only surviving city.

Persia licked its wounds after I captured four of their "heartland" cities and they never bothered me again.

=> Every Persian city needs to start the game with an improvement making the city resistant to propaganda. In fact, put two (2) of different propaganda resisting improvements in every Persian city to make it especially hard to buy them. I propagandized two Persian cities in my game.

=> Give each Heartland city three units with A0/D99/M0 and +99 HP. This will ensure nobody conquers a Heartland city. As I mentioned earlier, I conqured four Heartland cities, but then I felt guilty and let Persia live.

=> This may have been taken care of already, but per one of my previous posts, Persian cavalry should NOT be able to move on desert squares because the AI has a tendency to send them wandering around the map rather than staying where the action is.

Numidia (the Vandals) had lots of cavalry and Incursators by the end of the game but they never attacked me from their sole surviving city. They wandered into my territory a few times, but when I demanded they leave or declare war, they always pulled out.

Pink, to help you gauge the end of the game, here are some stats....
    As of beginning of turn 585AD my military might was as follows:
    178 Praesidium (the D5 kind)
    142 Praesidium (the D4 kind)
    6 Hoplites
    177 Miles Alarius Gaulic
    65 Miles Auxiliary
    340 Miles Alarius German
    16 Velites
    29 Eques Alarius German
    2 Equite Numidian
    4 Equites Legion
    4 Funditores
    63 Catapult
    7 Ballistae
    356 Ignus Gr (Greek Fire)
    2 Legio
    5 Legio Marius
    475 Legio Mercenary
    51 Legio Imperial
    9 Cohorts Imp
    33 Speculators
    1 Legio Consular (Army)
    2 Legio Caesar (Armies)
    3 Legio Trajan (Armies)
    2 Legio Bellisarius (Armies)

I scrapped most of my navy because it was irrelevant in the later game after I controlled the seas. I was left with....
    1 Dromon
    4 Naves Acu (fast transport)
    12 Cumba

Treasury: 41,696

OFFENSIVE AI units as of 585AD....
    Persia: 139 Clibanariu cavalry units.
    Scythia: 114 Sarmaticu, 109 Eque Hu, and 12 Copiae At
    Numidia: 14 Eques Lori, 14 Incursator, 5 Eque Numid
    Germans: 78 Praedator, 280 Incursator, 223 Eques Lori, 33 Belator Lo
    Britania: 1 Picti Praed

=> Per my post #1593, the movement rate of the Copie Attilae should be adjusted to M3, ignore hills, ignore forest.

=> Regarding the Naves Acu fast transport, I modified my BIQ so that the ship carried 15 units (rather than only 10) and moved 25 squares (rather than only 15). This worked well and I would suggest modifying the boat's stats in later RFRE versions.

=> I was unable to build the Corpus Juris Civilis in Byzantium during the game. I checked the BIQ and I fulfilled all the requirements, but the Wonder never showed up on the build screen. I cannot figure out why this is happening. Using terminology from generic Civilization, maybe the Wonder could not be built because that would have resulted in both a Palace and a Forbidden Palace in Constantinople at the same time?

=> Naval bombardment is a pain. I know this has been discussed before, but I vote to turn it off.

=> Cleaning up slave unrest (pollution) can take time and be tedious to micromanage.

=> Has the spaceship video or victory screen been tested? I had a crash to desktop in v0.922 after completing the 5th and final part of the Byzantine Legacy spaceship.

=> Years pass by too quickly at the beginning of the game and kind of drag towards the end. Since major changes would involve re-working the tech tree and other parts of the game, the simplest approach would be to add 25 turns towards the beginning and subtract 25 turns at the end. (Play around with turns = 1 or 2 or 3 years so that the game ends at the right time). With this change, the Player will have more time prior to 0 AD to match Rome's early, rapid expansion rate.

7. gringoesteban

deleted by poster

8. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

I don't think anyone has written a conversion/translation program for Spanish Civ players :( . If you have the time you could rewrite the batch file which was written for German users (see this post) using that as a model or the other alternative is to translate the file links in the .ini file of each unit in the scenario. :crazyeye:

9. igorvragovic

igorvragovic Chieftain

1. OK. So, I went into folder art\units of vanila Civ3 , I copied all ancient time units and rename their folders and some of the files into English. It was easy as most of the files in each Spanish folder are actually named in English.

2. BUT !!! I could not start the game again. Now, I got another type of message concerning missing files:

art\units\HorseArcher\..\MountedWarrior\MountedWarriorRun.amb

or

art\units\WarCamel\..\JaguarWarrior\JaguarWarriorRun.amb

What should I do now ? New English renamed MountedWarrior and JaguarWarrior folders exist in art\units of vanila Civ. I checked art\units folders of this scenario and found out that they do not content aforementioned files. Should I copy something somewhere ?

Igor

10. igorvragovic

igorvragovic Chieftain

"the other alternative is to translate the file links in the .ini file of each unit in the scenario. "

Please, tell me in which folders are these *.ini files ?

11. lovegun

lovegun Chieftain

I had exactly the same problem in my v.92 game. Corpus Juris Civilis was the only wonder I could not build. Again, is there anyone who actually built it?

12. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Onward toward a fourth conflict with Carthage....All of my Legions, armies, and Ballista head to Cartenna by foot and boat....

91BC - Agrarian Troubles researched, Drama Theory next.

77BC - War is declared upon Carthage. Numidia joins our cause and our armies overrun Cirta that year.

69BC - Without waiting for Ballista our armies take Hippo Regis.

67BC - Utica taken. Drama Theory researched, Sulla's Rule next.

63BC - Carthego besieged and taken. Hannibal Barca destroys one of our armies before falling himself. Luckily the Numidians had considerably weakened the city.

57BC - An attack is repelled near Lilybaeum and then the city is captured by our Legions. Leptis Magna is taken by the Numidians.

49BC - As our troops near Hispalis the dogs of Carthage beg for peace. We decline and overrun the city with glee. They are forever destroyed!

Next up for my expensive military is a strike deep into Germania. My troops are heading there now and hopefully I'll find some allies to remove the barbarians for this land.

13. V. Soma

Wow, Woodelf, that was great and heroic! :king:

Now, you can have only alliance with a given circle of nations - check out the Civpedia.

And do you have those pictures you learnes how to make? ;)

I will come up with report of my new game, soon.

14. Winterfell

Winterfell Warlord

I've been playing this great mod for some time now. I played a pretty long game until 57 bc, but I feel like starting a new game because I think my progress is too slow and I've made some stupidmistakes.
    I will put the details about the game I played for the sake of progression:
    57 bc, Ive conquered the nations of:eppyrus, gallia cisalpina, magna graeca, carthage, illyria,macedonia and all the other greeks, galatia, pontus(only sinope and two other cities), and iberia. Pontus was really easy, I took sinope when they had only one army.
    I reached the triumvirate tech.
    There is a mistake in the pedia value of imp. pompeianus- it creates lgio marius and not legiop consularis as mentioned in the pedia.
    I think the gallian goods should somehow stay in the control of narbo becaues if they stay in the control of tolosa it means rome has to conquer gallia before it has caesar which is incorrect.
    Germany tried to attack me and I repelled them but the MA with scythia was not activated eventhough I already met them.
    Persia is too strong I think, the destroyed the selucids in my game.
    I learnt too late in the game that velites are really good to buiold inb masses, the lose of population isnt that horrible, and they allow fast conquest of barbarian nations.

Well off to a new game. Im not sure if I want to kill carthage again they annoy me =/

15. V. Soma

NEW CHRONICLE

BC 274
    Epirus are out. It was qiuck and nice in two turns.

BC 263
    End of Cisalpine Celts. It was not easy, but OK.
    We hav elite naval unit (pirates helped).
    Pharus and Mare Nostrum is under construction (finished in BC 258, both).

BC 257-230
    First Punic War
    We have 5 allies of Greek nations.
    Plan:
    1. Hispania: let the Western Greeks clash on w. Carthage, then slowly my main core with two armies get there and gets territory, kill barcaes.
    2. Conquering the islands from north to south.
    3. Sicily: first let Western Greeks and Carthage fight there, we will conquer at the end of war.

In a long and at points really raging war we conquer all Carthage’s Hispania!
    Hannibal sent many barcaes against us, 3 of them in Sicily – all of them were eliminated,
    Those velites can do an amazing job in cases (an in mass).
    All Sicily is Roman...
    In the final stage, Hannibal managed to call Macedonia to thier side, now I shall get over with Philippus in the next round in Northern Italia.
    Small nations in Greece help me to control thes Antigonids.

Now I will get over with what comes at me from these Antiginids, and will erase the Western Greeks. By that time, Scipio’s Army might be at hand to put an end to Carthage, finally.

Attached Files:

16. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Whoa! You must be confusing me with someone who actually knows what they are talking about! ;)

I'm just working on a few logical assumptions which may or may not be true! I have an English version of Civ so I have no experience of translating a scenario into another language.

However, I believe you have two choices, either;
    1: translate all of your Spanish unit files from the original game install into their English equivalent, or;

2: translate all of the file links in each unit in the RFRE scenario file to the Spanish equivalent.

e.g. go into CivIII\Conquests\Scenarios\RFRE\Units and look at the first unit in the list; Allied Hoplite. Click on the .ini file and scroll down to where the file makes a call for a sound effect. The sound effects (.amb and .wav) are called for from the original game install, which in your case is Spanish. You will need to work out which unit that is in the Spanish listing in CivIII\Art\Units and translate the link at every line it is mentioned.

e.g ..\Hoplite\HopliteRun.amb would become.... well whatever Hoplite is in Spanish! Maybe you don't need to translate that one! You mentioned that the game crashed on MountedWarrior and JaguarWarrior. These units aren't in the game you are right, but the sounds are used which is why it crashes.

Be VERY careful with spelling, capitalisation and spaces as one simple mistake will crash the game. I hope that all makes sense to you, I don't know if that is enough to get everything to work, I may have missed something, but good luck anyway!

17. gringoesteban

Pink, instead of building the final piece of the spaceship, I went back to a save and declared war on the Germans and Scythians to see what would happen. It was not pretty....

I thought I was prepared, with networks of Limes manned with Legio Mercs, and a defense in depth to stop any enemy that penetrated my outer defenses. Notice the opening in my defenses to entice the enemy through, so that I could pound them with Catapults and annihilate them when they were caught in the open.

Attached Files:

18. captain beaver

@Gringoesteban Is it just me or are there too many armies in your SS? And perharps post your save to see if anyone can build the spaceship succesfuly
    @Pink I was looking in the editor and I found the unit foederatus. What does it do?

19. gringoesteban

I lost ALL of Dacia and most of Greece just four turns into the war with Scythia. (Note that the screenshot from my post #1617 above was a few turns before I declared war, so don't compare the years).

You definitely need to get rid of the "treat all terrain as roads" for the Copie Attilae, and also for the Eques Hunnus Sagittifer. The Scythian units did not attack armies fortified inside cities, but merely bypassed them, moving 12 squares per turn, even through Roman territory. Stacks of Mercenary Legions fortified inside Limes located on hills were sitting ducks. The Scythians tore right through the mountain passes without even slowing down....

Attached Files:

20. gringoesteban

Those Huns tore right across Dacia and straight through my second line of defense. Italy is undefended and the Rhine legions are open to attack from the rear, as well as from the swarms of Germans coming from the north. The Roman Empire is collapsing!!!

Attached Files: