1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Imhotep II: I would keep these small islands as they are. They were really arid and lightly populated, not producing much for the Roman economy but cannon fodder. So I don't think I will add rivers and trade ports there.

Your game sounds to easy indeed. The main problem seems the AI can't deal with peace treaties (signing a unfavorable peace when on the verge to win the war!) and taking cities (not taking a city while it has a huge army nearby to do so!); I really wonder why?

Now, what about a new patch, and start your new game on that basis :)? I just have to add the Dacian UU and it will be ready.

Tentatively, velites no longer build roads and neither do they fight slave unrests. Meanwhile, road building cost has been slightly reduced and catasta spawn slaves (1 per 20t).

2. Meleagr

Meleagr Chieftain

Pink, one more idea about workers' specialization.
    You can make some effective slave-miners, generated by ferrarius or ferrarius magnum and remove this ability from fabri.
    I consider it is "too hard" to mine for roman citizens ;), this job is for slaves!
    BTW, in your mod fabri mine too fast. In 180 BC i had mines in every italian hill.

3. Salamandre

Salamandre King

it is amazing how people play till 25BC or so then complain that velites are too strong or fabers mine too fast. Go on Persians, people, or Pontus, or play till the incursatores and then tell me your units are too good and I will laugh :)

@Pink

In my actual game, Syria eliminated Pontus, Persia eliminated Syria, Galatia still up, Germania eliminated Galia (!)and this BEFORE 160 BC. Level is Emperor so the interturns are veryyy long.
    Now persia is going for Aegyptus so I feel they will be a PAIN :wallbash:

I didnt see before persian elephants, are they from syrian cities?

Attached Files:

4. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Imhotep, just imagine I had two civil wars, both 8 turns long... but I had ca. 2000 gold in the terasury so I could keep research speed.

Do you really think you are too late in development?
    I think yu and I are about the same in progress.

I am in BC 50 or so, and will deal with Pontus, hopefully in the next 10-15 turns.
    Then I plan to turn to Aegyptus - huhhh, it won't be easy.

I shall have Caesar's legion in 5 turns and then slowly eat up Gallia, by now I have only Tolosa and Vienna as gained cities... but my main intention was to get the gauls goods.

Do I need to insult Persia in the game?
    Or, if I don't, will Persia attack me?

5. Salamandre

Salamandre King

Before going to civil war I always go for philisophy/poetry. Then I turn most of citizens in scientifics during the civil wars so I lose only 2-3 turns. Anyway they cant produce anything good so they deserve it.

There is one thing that can help us living peacefully near Persia/Aegyptus: they both have an extra luxury to trade (oriental/egyptians goods) . A permanent PT deal will help a LOT. Later you can trade them gauls good and they will be very polite.

Be sure to not hook the oriental goods near Athenae because this will end your deal with Persians and they will likely attack you soon or later.

A "never do it" IMHO is to declare and attack. It is almost certain death, specially at higher levels. I declare, mass troops in the nearest city and I wait the counter attack. Once they sent the big stack and were masacrated by balistas, I move fast and safe. Never before. It will also create war wariness much later in this way.

When you have a wounded (1HP) velite, move it every turn if you are at war, dont heal him :) He can do miracles (exploit-but hell, this is a hard mod) beeing followed ad eternam by enemies hordes. AI is very bad programed. You see 20 belatores approaching your light defended city? Move the wounded velite in the other direction, they will follow him :lol:

War wearinnes will hit ONLY if you lose troops. It is a good idea to declare war on germans/scythians as soon as you discover them and keep war whole game(almost). They will most likely send units via same path and this is a big big servus mine.

6. Salamandre

Salamandre King

Are you sure you revolt at the beginning of the turn? The civil war will last twice less. We get 8 turns only when revolt at the end of the turn. It is hardcoded.

7. Meleagr

Meleagr Chieftain

Salamandre
    i didn't mean roman troops are too good.

BTW, your screenshot confirms that roman workers are great: road and mines everywhere. even in 159 BC, Emperor level.

8. Salamandre

Salamandre King

Thats how i want them: Great :p

Beeing a despotic person :king: I have very few fabers, but some 200 servus generously given by Germany/scithia as I am in more than 80 turns/war with them. But my land is far from beeing so perfect as you see in the screenshot. In fact I always make a priority to improve it near Persians, as I want some of their troops to pillage first, move after.

9. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

This "mod" is really great. I only started to play it recently but it really is terrific.

The only drawback is it is a bit directive but that is perfectly normal for such a game. And that makes for a real historical journey.
    Felicitations !

I think it is more a scenario and would find its place in the scenario forum but since people know it is here, no big deal.

10. ImhotepII

ImhotepII Chieftain

@pink
    hm well on this point of view, having the smaller islands beeing more or less unimportant thus not connecting them, guess you are right about that...
    its only always a pest to me not having irrigations at remote places, and not beeing able to build everything i can .)

for the AI i really don`t know whats wrong with him...

i have to ways to capture cities.

my "go in and defend" way
    1. i bring my troups to diffrent starting locations so i`ll be able to take at least 3 or 4 cities within the next 2-3 turns, i plan to take at least 3 cities, sometimes if one army is late i even wait 1 or two turns not conquering a nearby city, my troops just next to the enemys city wouldn`t be attacked, the AI either runs to a just conquered city or to my mainland. only if i place a single unit somewhere they will all go on it.
    for this i keep my armies tight toghter, giving all the speed of the slowest unit.

this worked good for me in gallia, iberia and germania. since the ai somehow is always pressed to peace one you have taken 3-4 cities and the war lasted maybe 3-4 turns.

an counter attack of gallia or germania if they concentrated their forces non of my armies would have survived. they occasionally attacked my cities with their horsemen, but never with more than 8 or so... the others that would be able of attack just moved on to another city.

the 2nd way (or going one by one)

i have a huge army stationed at a nearby border since i have no other real borders to the enemy, or i know of the trop sizes in their mainland. my army marches one city by one. i`ve done that in charthage syria and egypt.

syria gave me the best fight , they tried to recapture sardis at almost all costs, sending great armies of hoplites and horsemen but while failing to keep at least the horsemen with their 2 tile range safe of my city they marched right next to it.
    so i bombed them away one by one until only few were left or they escaped.

in egypt... i was wondering if cleaopatra was nuts....

i captures tyre and gaza at the first turn. the egyptian hoplites and footsoldiers marched first to damascus where my troops came from, then turned in as i took jerusalem towards tyre, where i killed some 8 units by attacking them from inside tyre. they had still some more than 15 units left if they had attacked tyre would have been lost. but they moved on toward jerusalem where i killed some more of them.
    after i reduced them to maybe 8-10 units they somehow moved back on damascus again. but before they reached anything i had taken alexandreia and memphis and signed peace. they still had over 25 units left as i could see after i kicked them out of my teritory.

i guess the AI always goes for the less defended city?! thats why he walks around more or less point and headless... and would not form a real counter attack.
    or if their army is reduced by certain percent they rethink and move to another city?

for the peace... the Ai somehow always signes it in when the war took more than 3-4 turns and you have at least 3 cities.
    germania for example... i went in with a rather small force of 2 armies some 15 legios and some 5 eques, no velites, or siege weapons.

i diverted my army to the 3 cities, took them all in one turn and then was faced by dozens of germanic horsemen, they attacked but always ony some and not all of them. and just when they came up with 20 units for each of the juzst conquered cities they gave in to peace?! i mean lucky for me but how would on be so stupid....

hm next patch is round the corner :) k then i`ll give myself some free time to hang out, over here we have a late summer, after weeks of rain now the sun is up with 30° :) just make sure it wont take too long... for the real problem with RFRE... i can`t stop playing....... if its not for the conquering of one city its the new building or this wonder or that research i just want to finish. then the game enslaves me and i play on for hours.....

@VS
    well i`m sort of late.... by mabybe 14ad i want the borders to be as they should be.
    having by 146BC: north italy, half iberia, illyrica, north africa (without numidia) all of greece.
    by 44BC all iberia, the cyrenica, minor asia up to pontus exept for that 3 citiy state at inner asia minor, gallia, and most parts of syria.
    by 30BC the egytian war.
    until 14AD the 3 germania cities, south parts of dacia, and rest of asia minor, as well if left the rest of egypt.

so aftermaybe 20AD i will only have to conquer britannia (in the 100sAD) nabatea and if wished the rest of dacia.

the rest is for encounters
    with persia, i`m rather unsure if i should ever attack them.... by now they not even once declared war on me. wich is very good since they have a huge army. but historical i should at least take the mesopotamian area. though only for 2-3 years.

with germania, defending and mybe some warfare from time to time, also to catach new servi.

by 117AD i want to be finished with conquering. just like the emprie had been the most teritory then under trajan.

then will be the time to relaly build up the diffrent limes. to really check your cities and grant rome long peacful turns.

also.... having researched dictator in the beginning AD gives me shivers.... i want to have at least 2 ceasaris legions ..

so for the next try i will focus on research first. dictaor should be done latest at 44BC.

and i`ll have to open more wars at one time.... so i`ll get my borders within historic acurate time....

11. ImhotepII

ImhotepII Chieftain

welcome lou long .)

indeed this is one of the most acurate on hitsory!

i also thought it is more scenario than a mod :) but i guess it will get an extra section at scenarios once 1.0 is out.

for all NEW PLAYERS:
    i stongly recomend that you read through the the wonder and small wonder civelopedia first.

i had forgotten so many things in my first attempts... like just bulidng 2 portus naves for ostia, and later the civil war for lex agraria and much more stuff....

also make saves.. once in a while, i usually save beor a bigger war. so if you are unlucky you could try another time, with more units and other strategys.

it`s always a drop when you had a good start and then run into a dreadful war wich ruins half of the game....

12. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Uhh????
    Well, always to learn something new...

13. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

@Imohtep
    I've noticed that as well with the AI. With Egypt, I try to take 3 cities: Tyre, Jerusalem, and Gaza in one turn. I found this greatly limits the counterattack from Egpyt since it is a long road from Memphis to Gaza and owning that much territory slows down their troop movement.
    My goal was to at least have my 275bc map be identical with the 125bc biq by 125bc. I've come close, but I never seem to have enough cash by 133bc to culture flip Pergamon and Ephesus.

Ah well, its 53BC for me, and I just captured Pontus and the city NE of it. Looks like I'll have to turn on my allies. Caveat Emptor!

14. Salamandre

Salamandre King

This has been discuted several times in conquest forums. When the tech screen pop up , BEFORE clicking on the new tech to research, click on the "whats the big picture", then F1 and revolt. You will get 1-4 turns civil war, regardless your number of cities and a random factor.

Only works when tech screen pops up by itself. So it works every 12 turns, here.

15. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@Loulong,

Welcome on board. Glad you finally found the time to try a new game, since the crawling alpha test... 8 months ago?
    Please, do share any critics you have while playing, I am very keen to hear them and improve gameplay!
    The difference between mod and scenario is quite blurred to me. It is a huge baby tough (in MB terms), it changes about eveything, while being as long as an epic game, so -hell!- I thought: make it a mod :)!

@Salamandre

Parthians and Persians do have elephants since beta was released, as long as they control some resources (normally available near Ormuz, from India)!

That reduced civil war stuff sounds BAD. That's a bug right?

@Imhotep, Fictionles

No idea now on how to make the AI a bit more bright. Anyone know if the AI is behalving like this in other mods/Conquests, or it is just a delicate intricacy of RFRE :eek:
    I will post the patch Monday, or even today if I feel like DESTROYING your weekend social life :evil:

@V.Soma

Attacking the Parthians would be good if you can spare the troops and the losses early on. The problem if you stay at peace with them for long will be the huge buildup of troops, which once the Sassanids come in, is likely to come visit you at your direst hours (when the norhtern barbarians are doing tourism and shopping in Rome, 'borrowing' your spouses and burning your houses). So your choice :)

16. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

Is Dictator Perpetuus broken in .93? Imperium Pompeianus requires Pergamum, which I have, but I can't seem to build it outside of Asia. And since Dictator Perpetuus requires Rome, is it non-buildable in this version?

I've been playing this so long, I can't remember if it was in .92 where we had this problem or if it was .93.

17. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

You need to build Dictator Perpetuus in Pergamum if you built Imperium Pompeianus there. But in order to do that you need the Roma resource available for Pergamum which won't be possible unless you've conquered Egypt and can trade through Syria.

18. Fictionles

Fictionles Chieftain

I just realized having a Portus Naves would work just as well. Thanks Gunner!

19. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Ah Gunner, here you are. How is your unit coming along? I look foward to add it for next patch!

20. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

hi all,

I've been playing for a while, but not posting till now :D

I'm in ~330AD of the .93 version. Here's my feedback:

1. I like velites building roads. The legions are slow, and are needed for battle, so can't spend much time building roads. Velites however, shouldn't be able to clean up slave unrest (and slave unrest should be like lava for servii!).

2. The preadator spawn rate is ok. The key is not allowing them to accumulate to an unstoppable horde. veteran legions on hill-limes w/ a castrum (radar tower) gives a good chance at survival, but lesser defenses are simply futile (run away!). Preadator's creating 10-4-2 belators is too much. The 8-3-1 type would be more reasonable. Also the Preadators collateral damage makes city defense futile since any building will be gone early in the 1st wave :cry:

3. The Crisis of the 3rd Centrury was good. Many mercs were built during that time to keep pop near 5. The ecomony was running at -500 or something, so went from 65k downto 52k or so. Still plenty of money, but it's really only population that matters now (that fool Comodous shutting down the graneries..). The sea trade gap is a nice touch Pink! Not until Constantinople is the new capital are all the goodies available to all again.

4. The crusafixion takes too long to build. I mean, come on, how hard was it really? How about 5 shields? Something in Jarusalem should spawn slave unreset. The legions spent time there due to unrest, but in RFRE the legios only pass through when conquering that area. There is no reason to stay.
    Also maybe the bible reduces corruption so there is more interest in keeping the city functioning?

5. Can legio tranis get 2 bonus points? I load them with cavalry, so at best is only 8pts, which is still fragile in the face of the 8pt masses of Praedators. This will give the Romans some hope/fun in the dark times! It is also kind of a lead in to the late game units.

6. The germans are very grumpy. The 1st attack was in 290 or so. In the initial onslaught they wiped out ~25 mercs + 1 legio tranis cavalry army, who despite my best wishes, decided to try to stop a Preadator.. The turn after peace they invaded the Dacians (3 citys only, but probobly 45 units).
    It was good to see them battle, but I took 2 of the cities just to keep the hordes further from my capital. 2 turns after that they attacked me again!
    No time to build any castles or even roads, so the Translvanian gold is now in the Sythian's hands. The germans are milling about, but haven't massed on a city just yet. My cities in Gaul aren't very well defended, but they only send a few tribus barbarus out over there.

7. miles auxilarius are all but useless. Basically they are only useful for re-joining cities later in the game so more mercs can be built. Am I missing something?

8. thermes are not of much use due to unhappyness in such big cities, yet these were quite popular in thier day. How about they also make some peeps happy and contribute some culture? Maybe raise the cost to 4 or 5 as well so only the big cities will makes sense.

9. "fall of the empire" research should be more expensive. Replacing all those expensive temples with free churches reduces the maintinence burden too much.

10. current game minor details:
    Carthage eliminated the WesternGreeks who had joined my ally, Macedonia against them.

Gaul eliminated the Britons. I let them keep england.

Iberia took out most of the Gaul eques, so the 2nd Gual campaign was pretty easy. Iberia only has 1 city but still had asperations of conquering Gaul!

Persia never attacked anyone. I pushed them back to thier heartland, but that is all. A good number of cavalry milled around the desert making threats, but never came out in mass.

11. The sagitarious archers "disapear" sometimes. I try to fire them from a city, but then they no longer exist! Has anyone else noticed this?