1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I will finish the unit eventually. I had it almost completely done and ready before I realized that it had a white background rather than a pink background. A very silly mistake, but now I have to redo all of the rendering and compilation. I've been putting it off since then because I really don't want to do that.

2. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

@primordial stew, great comments!
    Yeah, I think one of my mistakes in my last game was staying at peace with Germany and Scythia for 300+ years (from the mid 250AD until the late 500AD). During that timeframe, they massed an unstoppable army. Declaring war on them every hundred years or so might have been a better approach.

I agree. I think Pink will make some adjustments addressing these issues in the next patch.

Wow, that's a lot of cash.... I thought I was doing good with a Treasury of 30,000....

I agree. I manually reduced the cost to "4" in the BIQ of the latest game I played.

Well, on the bright side, at least they have no maintenance. I use them as garrison units in newly conquered cities since Praesidium take so long to build. I also put them in border Limes temporarily until I can build enough Legio Merc to fill up the Limes.

My Treasury definitely grew quite a bit in later years of RFRE, and I had no problem getting techs in 12 turns, even with the slider at 80% tax and 20% research.

3. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

NEW CHRONICLES:

BC 45
    We have Drama Theory.
    Slow but steady advance in Gallia.
    We move our trrops through Galatia for a swift attack on Sinope...

BC 31
    We attack Mithridates of Pontus!
    But just before this, Persia signed peace with my enemy, arrgh!
    Anyway, I attack, and have Galatia as ally on my side...
    I capture Sinope! Can I hold it?
    I don’t want to destroy Pontus as a state, hope they will sue for peace soon and can remain as buffer state between me and Persia...
    In Gallia Caesar is there, and is about to capture Lugudunum...

BC 27
    The Galatians are out...
    Pontus accepts peace! We have Sinope!
    The war with Gallia is heavy around Lugdunum...

4. V. Soma

BC 17
    We finished off those Piratae, those ships were annoying...
    We’re driving off the Gauls off Europe mainland.
    We have a big leap in advance: we have Philosophy & Poetry,
    And also Dictator and Age of Augustus...
    We can’t switch government bacause of financial problems, though...
    but maybe we don't even want to - we have more wars to wage...

BC 9
    We attack Bithynia...
    And get away with them in 2 turns, they were weak and stupid
    (doing a big attacking out blindly...)

BC 3
    Opus Ovidii in Rome.
    Numidia attacks us, as he does not leave our territory!
    Their first wave is not much, we defend with a small army there...

AD 3
    We make peace with Gallia, we have a nice looking map:

(Plan is to attack Pontus and make a border at the black line drawn on map.
    also, forces will move from Gallia to Dacia to secure and conquer area there.
    And, of course, later we will get the other circled city, Alexandria, too...)

Attached Files:

5. V. Soma

AD 17
    Peace with Numidia – only their capital remains for them...
    Slaves are building road in Gallia, we plan to secure all lands in Western Europe, this means some war against Britannia... then the roads will take our troops to Dacia.
    Pontus asked for a 20-turn extra peace treaty, fine...
    We have Libri Virgilii.

AD 33
    We have the Britannian cities in Europe, and made pecae with them, too.
    Here is the world at the time of Christ...

(New plan: Propagandize Gaza (circled), then capture the are to the east of it..., while holding position in the city. Quick peace then. Also, that little orange African country shall be ours...)

Attached Files:

6. V. Soma

Can it be that I am not able to propagandize Cleo's cities???

7. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Its shouldn't be impossible to propagandize Egyptian cities, but rather very difficult because of the City States government.

8. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

More late game feedback:

1. The Eques Hun is *way* too powerfull. They have:
    a. lots of HP (8 for elite)
    b. very good stats (12-5-2)
    c. replicates itself after most victories
    d. 2 MP, but everything is a road so 10 spaces/turn!
    e. blitz
    f. collateral damage

They are nearly unstoppable.

If they are able to get through the limes it is over (and quick)!!!

2. These seem to be bugs in .93:
    a. miles aux doesn't upgrade to stratios
    b. eques legionaries does't upgrade to cataphract
    c. I wasn't able to build either of the 2 late game citizenship wonders

3. Late game details, attempt 1:
    a. no war until I declared it with 18 turns left. Adding the 99A units that
    Pink was talking about will hopefully help.
    b. treasury made it up to 105k
    c. eques huns overran Greece in 3 turns. The pace of advance left thier praedators behind, so they saw little combat. Constantinople was cut off. 1/2 of greece was razed by the Huns.
    d. the germans overran france in 5 turns. The ~120 units defending the limes wall slowed them, but thier numbers were undeniable. Garisons of 20 units in the cities didn't help at all.
    e. a landing of 20 units (mostly stratios) near Hunni was annahilated in 1 turn. Not quite the distraction I had hoped for :/
    f. only very heavily occupied cites (50-70 units) got to use the greek fire. Shouldn't these at least have defensive bombardment? As is they can only be used to counterattack.
    g. Shouldn't stratios be able to stabilize the front? 6D even with limes + river + rader tower isn't effective against the 12A units.

Attempt #2:
    a. put in missing limes + more backups
    b. isolated war to Sythians (no attacks onto thier soil)
    c. 129 huns at start + 3 attilas
    downto 86 huns + 0 attilas
    d. no cities lost yet, but there are 30+ praedators in place to attack next turn.
    e. Gaul Celts finally build the port wonder in 619AD
    f. watched "space ship" movie in 596AD, kept playing

9. Salamandre

Salamandre King

Actually there is possible to conquer all germania/scythia but one city left.

I used whole game War/20 turns peace and again war, followed by 1-2 cities sued for peace, then built near my own city and next (anyway you have to do so, to forbid them to mass incursatores and eques).

Unfortunatelly when you sign peace with germany it automatically sign with Scythia also so you have to choose which one you fear most.

I choosed Germania, I am in 237AD and I hope to take it ALL soon.

@Pink

If you think this is(again ;) ) an exploit and you dont wish it then all scyth/german land should be ancestral forest, so they can rebuilt cities and we cant.

BTW, I never put units in limes, it is like suicide. They are behind with catapultae. I redline them, use legios/miles to kill all but one, then eques/velites for the last one to free the lime. This way I rarely lose any unit and WW comes much later.

Attached Files:

10. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

If any of you remember the Falx warrior I was talking about for the dacians then this should be interesting. He's already been made by Utahjazz7 here.

11. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I think its supposed to be in the next patch.

12. V. Soma

NEW CHRONICLES:

AD 51
    We buy a vassal: Petra is Roman!

AD 55
    We sneak attack Cleo at Salamis, Tyrus and Jerusalem!
    We kill 20 units and capture the cities.
    Counterattack is coming but we can handle this at the first wave (7 units of Cleo).

AD 69
    After a long massacre of Aegyptian units in the death trap of Jerusalem, we advance and capture Gaza – will we now have a swift advance to Alexandria and beyond?

AD 77
    Rome has oriental goods from the Greek Sea...

AD 81
    We have Alexandria captured!

AD 103
    The great war against Aegyptus is over – we control the whole Mediterranean!
    (Well, except for that little island that boasts as Carthage...)

We have Siege Engineering...
    Plan is to take Sirmium and some land from Dacia, for this we need to move armies there.
    Also, we have have to take care of the situation in Asia, where Pontus and Persia are alive and having quite some power – though behaving in a silent, friendly manner. I do some trade with them, also give them gifts... and keep some military there, just in case...

Attached Files:

13. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

the way to stop anyone from exchanging cities after a war is to put wonders in them. the AI will almost never give you a city with a wonder so if you put a wonder in the capital that gives a free wonder in every other city, it should be fine

14. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I have little time to answer each post, but be sure I take note and intend releasing next patch this week :). Thanks for all the feedback, exploits, and bug reports (some aren't bugs, e.g. some units are not supposed to upgrade to another, but just to disappear from the building list at a certain stage), which will be hopefully fixed in next version. Cheers.

15. Salamandre

Salamandre King

347AD- Germania is about to fall, only 5 cities left

Then: :rotfl: Mutual protection with Scithia gave this: (I am sorry Pink to force your fantastic mod, but I just cant keep myself :lol: )

Attached Files:

16. Salamandre

Salamandre King

5 secons later, while I am fighting the punny germans, here it pops up :confused: My alliance with scythians wasnt long at all :lol:

Attached Files:

17. Salamandre

Salamandre King

remark: eques legionarius cant be upgraded to cataphract, upgrade box is unchecked. Too bad, I had 200 of them and the HP penalty sucks.

I understand that you want some units to dissapear from the building list so thats why they cant upgrade BUT: Those units should be definatelly able to JOIN the city, as they cost pop. If eques legionarius is replaced by cataphract, I would like to to join them and use this 1 pop to create the better unit. Why push the frustration so far? :p

I was able to push Germany far away, they had 5 phantom cities left. Game didnt crash on victory screen, everything went smooth. The best scenario/mod around, but also the hardest. I am done with CIV for a long time, this was exhausting. Emperor level.

Hannibal wanna new team:

Attached Files:

18. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

171 hours... and the change :eek:
    Happy to hear the final flic is working (I guess you didn't see the spaceship parts coming in as you built them?)
    Next version will have a wonder placing wonders, in Scythia and Germania at least!

19. Salamandre

Salamandre King

No I didnt see the parts but I suggest you to take a look at The Ancient Mediterranean MOD (TAM)'s ship_all.pcx. I think its not far away from what You'd like to have, am I wrong?

Attached Files:

20. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Something similar, except that you have regions appearing instead of cities. I don't know what is wrong with my pcx...