1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. Ciceronian

Ciceronian Latin Scholar

Welcome to CFC, Gicusan!
    Simply go to the first post of the first page in this thread and follow the instructions there. The links are there for you to download the full package.

2. Gicusan

Gicusan Chieftain

thx. I am not familiar with your forums and first ime i made a mistake and i could not download. Now it is working. Thx.

3. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Just a small bug, at the beginning of the 125bc game there are two legio IV's

4. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

a bug I encountered while playing the 275 BC version : somehow, the city of Aleria has acess to a luxury ressource that looks exactly like the Gaul goods. Even the trade advisor is aware of its existence although it wont give me a link to the civilopedia. Apart from that, the start with version 0.941 is much better than version 0.94. I think this is what you wanted to acheive Pink. I have a lot of difficulty conquering Sicilia not because my units are always healing in the cities but because the praesidium you added makes conquest with what little units I can amass quite difficult. The fact that you added more units to cartage is negated by the alliances I can make with magnae Graecia which absorbs the worse. I don't remember the def bonus at Syracuse but their Hoplites are tough! One of them hold out against 4 amphibious assault and the next to 3 and they didn't even died. BTW, I edited this version too by removing all praesidium in Epirus, Aleria, olbia and Carales. I still think this is too much units on unimportant places and those islands didn't require a large invasion from the Romans when they wen't for it.

5. captain beaver

I would say forget the HP penalty. It's the most annoying. A regular eques is 2 hp, so all you need is a lucky shot by the defender and your eques retreats. Even when they're elite (rare, they have a tendency to die before), they only have 4 hp, which isn't a lot compared to all the other units. Of course, they are a small group and consequently, the HP represents that but other wise, they're almost worthless except against low HP retreating units without def bonus.

6. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Ok, I am now posting a full revised pack of the 3 RFRE BIQs as a new patch. It includes Beaver's great 325AD, fully updated to the latest map and rules changes. I have tried to keep this one with the same rules as the other two, have made a few minor tunings of the RFRE rules based on 325AD (cost of tech increased, cost of building maintainance reduced). It is a great map, although the first turn takes quite some time to be played. But once you have your cities' production set and your units fortified, it rolls along quickly.

Someone was asking about a final version, well, next patch will be it! [party]
    The only thing I have to do is to add more turns for the early game, and make the late game go faster in terms of years per turn.

Posting the patch now :)

7. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@Beaver

This kind of ressource bug appears there and here. Seems to be a Civ bug...
    About the eques, I think I rather increase the likeliness for low experience cavalry to successfully retreat!

EDIT

@LOki

Spotted, renamed the legion. Let me know how your game goes.

8. captain beaver

@Pink
    I saw you edited the map I posted. Just one thing : you added a lot of units at Augusta Vindelicum. This makes that city less likely to fall. What I had in mind was this : when I looked at a map of the roman empire of that time I found on the internet, there was that huge hole taken by the Alemanni tribe. But a couple of year later (5 maybe), it was retaken by the Romans. Are you sure that it can still be done that way with the extra german units?
    And I think my only change to the rules was the foederati units that got enslaved instead of slaves. Is that changed too? I'm just too lazy to look at the rules myself ;) .
    Otherwise, I can't wait for patch 1.0 :king:

9. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I should have recorded the changes I made to your map :), but this was done an a unsystematic manner (I first wanted to make changes only for myself). This is your scenario, so feel free to modify it the way you want, I will follow you. I tried to keep all rules similar in the 3 BIQs, expect for some tribe names, military flags for some wonders (to avoid starting in a GA), and GA flag for the roman unit (to avoid a late GA) in your BIQ. The reason is that it allows me to update each BIQ by modifying only one (and later importing the updated rules to the others). So I rather would have new units enslaving foederati in every BIQ. Now, I saw byzantine units doing that in your scenario, and I think I removed it :blush:. I feel like by the times of Heraclius, foederati were already past history! But it is your call! Thanks to your mod, I also added the capacity for statiotes to irrigate (without slave, Rome was left without farmers!), a new castrum foederati building (so that foederati villages can upgrade enslaved foederati into german auxiliaries - uh confusing sentence ;)). For Augusta Vindelicum, frankly, I didn't check. I thought the Roman willingly let loose the area, too difficult to protect (maybe I need to modify the map to represent that), and retreated to the limes beyond. It is very possible that they briefly retook control of the area later on. I still think it is feasible with the map as it is now for the Roman to take back the city in the IV th century. Again, your call! :)

10. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Hey pink, I have a modding question. I looked in the biq but I can't figure out how the AI techs work. How do they give unlock all that stuff for Rome if only the AIs research them? Does Rome automatically get the techs or what? Do they have a GL that lets them leech off of the AI research?

11. Sildo

Sildo A circle

The palace has a greatlibrary effect. Since the only techs resurched by more then one civilization are the Cronacles and other "First age" techs it works.

12. WildWeazel

Schweeeet. I was hoping it was that easy. :D

13. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

This great idea, for notice, was from King Coltrane, not me :)
    It works great but the AI is stuck researching 1st era techs (the so called timers).

14. WildWeazel

That's exactly what I want. :cool:

15. GlobalOppressor

GlobalOppressor Imperialist

Quoted:
    @Primordial Stew: It seems the Carthaginians are still too strong in 0.941. I certainly don't want to see them invading the Gauls. I have already decided to reduce the number of boats of the Punic navy, to INCREASE the number of Celtic Mercenaries, so what should I reduce further? Elephants, Barca troops, numid horsemen? Or raise the cost of the mercs? You CAN ally the Numids: just make sure you have an embassy there first.

Pink,

You should seriously consider decreasing the number of Barcae, The numbers Carthage can throw at you is so extreme that no matter how successful the 1st Punic War is, you still have to reinforce Pisae with plenty of your legions. Also, the amount of Praesidium in places like carales is understandible, but without the blitz option marked for the Legio Consulares, they are defeated waaay too slowly, consider only allowing 1 per city that you added them to.
    Great job on .941.

16. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Hannibal should be dangerous :) His brothers less so, true. I was considering having only one Barca Army, with a massive HP bonus (so that it would roam in Italy for long, with nobody willing to stop him), but this would require playtesting, which I can't do now. Any idea/view on that, brave beta-testers?

17. captain beaver

Do a hannibal unit with lots of hp, low offense, high defense and flag it as an offensive unit. If the chances of winning for the hannibal unit is too low, it will simply rampage through Italia, pillaging tiles. That is at least in theory.

I understand for the late GA. That should be avoided.
    For Augusta Vindelicum, as I understand it, the area was a higly contested one, the Alemanni tribe attacking and bypassing the Rhine defences sevral times from 250AD to 400AD. This is probably unimportant bacause I have another reason. By giving this city to germania, it forces the player to declare war rapidly to plug the hole in his defense or face german eques swarming all over his territory. This leads to more chances of subsequent declarations of war from germany as they will probably stay furious for the rest of the game.
    For the foederati unit, the thing is that I used it because I saw it was in the units which came with the .94 patch (or .93) and I think it adds flavor, fun and tactical choices. I don't understand your foederati castrum thing but if it works, I suppose it's okay. For the late Byzantium units, I still think they should enslave that unit. Because of the loss of power, many tribes and population moved and went living in former roman territory. The Byzantines were still under constant attack from the tribes north of the Danube and many settled south of that border. The byzantines then had to rely on the oath given by the kings of those tribes that they would come to their help if need arise. I still think it would be revelant to have at least the stratiote enslave foederati. Not the cataphract as it was more used in the east. Anyway, anyone wants to add something to this debate? I would like to know who thinks it is better for to keep enslaving foederati in the byzantine period or if we should stcik there to "normal" rules.

18. captain beaver

Well like I said :)
    Also a word of advice, I survived the onslaught by allying every civ against cartage. That means : Magnae Graecia, Aetolia, Achaea, Pergamum and Macedonia. Magnae Graecia gets rolled over very quick along the gallic coast so you got to be fast in your conquests. At the same time, you can grab Syracuse if it falls into Carthago's hands. :mischief: I don't know if you know that already but just in case...

19. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Something similar would be worth trying. The best would be to have him able to attack Italian Cities, but not Rome. For that, Rome's defenses could be boosted by several 100% during the Punic Wars (so that the Ai never attack it) while Hannibal would have good attack and defense. Who is going to playtest this? I don't think I should release these changes as a patch.

Got your point, a right one. I will change back to something more like your original map in next patch :)

Ok with me, that will be changed in all versions then!

BTW, this thread (and all CFC if I dare say) has become kind of quite these days. Everybody is gone :cry: ?

20. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

too quiet hey, how about some rebellion :D

I just finished watching "The Fall of the Roman Empire" (1964). It's the tail end of Marcus Aurilius to the death of Commodus. Some parts are similar to Gladiator, but there are many differences.

If RFRE was more like the movie, here's some changes:

1. culture flipping would be better texted as "rebellion"

The legions would squash the rebellion, and then crucify 5000 peeps. "It's the Roman way".

Excessive taxation leads to rebellions. In Civ3 the only good way to make this work is for the tax collector citizen to make 1 unhappy citizen. Those cities that rebelled are far away from Rome so aren't providing much income via city improvements due to corruption already.

2. Commodus's reign should be very expensive, and coincide with the disintegration of Roman culture. Some wonder taking -10 culture in all cities till things get better. The ppl are happy "we love the caesar", but it drains the wealth of Rome.

The lines from the movie were about how an empire isn't conquered from outside, but first falls apart internally.

3. legions would be replaced by merc legions, but would still cost support.

In the end of the movie Commodus buys off the Army of the North for 3000 dinars/soldier.

4. The Senate increases corruption.

When Commodus takes power the Senate is still somewhat functional, but by the end they are as delusional as Commodus is. The is no more greatness in the empire, it's all just greed now. They are part of the problem.

5. fedatori are depracated.

Near the end Commodus orders all the germanic settlers farming Roman land killed.