Rise and fall of the roman empire

the_Monarch said:
This is actually a strike of genius ...

What to say lol, thanks ;)

the_Monarch said:
So, Pink, I think their aggresiveness is ok but I was wondering weather this came as a gameplay option or simply by chance?

It came as a gameplay option my good monarch :cool:

Folks, do you know my .txt file were I write down every change to make in next patch is starting to be tremendously long. And I had said last patch was the final one :cry: I nonetheless still try to keep note but I am getting really scared.

And a comment to conclude: does anyone ever loose a legion in RFRE? I know I tends to make the game harder all the time but I have a feel legions have way to many HP which results in (1) AI stupidity - it doesn't dare attacking (2) Lack of losses in legions (highly unhistorical). Just let me know calmly if a slight reduction of their HP bonus would be envisagable?

Traianus said:
Do they have mutual protection due to a deal or are they locked allies? It does make a bit of a difference.
More tmrw, Guys!

Locked alliance, I'm affraid! I didn't know that only if you attack in their territory does it cause the Scythians to come to their aid. If I were you I wouldn't care. They're far away, will likely come through Dacia were we're strongest and they need a little "milking" of troops so they don't amass too many free support raiders. Debatable. Good luck, whatever you do.

pinktilapia said:
It came as a gameplay option my good monarch

Why of course, how could I have thought anything was left to chance here :lol:. Just as I said, very good idea :worship:.

pinktilapia said:
Folks, do you know my .txt file were I write down every change to make in next patch is starting to be tremendously long. And I had said last patch was the final one I nonetheless still try to keep note but I am getting really scared.

And a comment to conclude: does anyone ever loose a legion in RFRE? I know I tends to make the game harder all the time but I have a feel legions have way to many HP which results in (1) AI stupidity - it doesn't dare attacking (2) Lack of losses in legions (highly unhistorical). Just let me know calmly if a slight reduction of their HP bonus would be envisagable?

Hehe. We all think of ways to making your job harder. Don't get mad, we're just perfectionist freaks. For example I can't help noticing there aren't any Palms in Africa. So, during a break from my project I took the liberty to include some (as LM forest)- I changed the Cedar to a resource (since they're so few of them) and placed them on some highlands in Lebanon. Changed def bonus to them from 80% to 60% and didn't allow roads or mines (and thus Limes or Castra buildable on them). I've also played a bit with the Alps landscape. I'm not saying I think these changes are necessary, it's just a thought.

Yes, I've lost a few. And when fighting against the Phalanx, the legio has 50% chance to die (same hps). The Armeniacus Bellator was though too and I'm sure the Falxmen would pose some threat (if only people let it spawn!). I've lost 4 during 10 years and reloaded once for a loss of a Scipio. If you lower their hps an army would have an 8-12 hps which is quite a few by my standards. Since we tend to load FL's in them, the Scipios (and Caesars) will mostly have 8hps!! Losing an army, IMHO is not an option. How about increasing costs to 75 shields and decreasing pop to 2 (I've already mentioned this would ease up the FL thingie too, thus decreasing their overall number which is the actual issue, right?).

Historically there were very few times when ENTIRE legios were utterly destroyed, but, even when defeated they were regrouped. In hard version there are a lot more waves of barbs, I'm sure. Darn, you're all too good for Junior version :lol:. Besides a Miles Socius has got to be worst than a Legio (not just by one hp) and the Carthaginians had no problem killing them behind Arx Litoralis in Sicily. What I'd do is differentiate between Hoplites a bit (increase hps if you will). No way the Greeks (Spartans) where the worst fighters in the Med!! But I might be wrong...

Attachments

• Africa.jpg
    Africa.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Alps.jpg
    Alps.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 138
Yes I loose legion too so dont decrease their hp.

And remember it is not AD yet. The 9/5/2 preadators with +6hp that spawn in all cities will be very hard to fight with worse legions.

Maybe you'll wear him down!! The more I look at them the more I like them. Cool work there.
BTW, our life and death struggle is continuing at the moment. It's fierce. I'll try report in a while.

We rush and change production in at least 30 cities to take advantage of the agrarian reforms as the civil war is expected to end next year.
64BC
Our losses mount. 2 legio wiped out in Dacia and at least another 2 on the Persian front. Dacian resistance seems to be increasing as we advance. The Germanics are, for the moment, strangely reserved in their invasion.
Pirate activity in the Aegean is increasing due to fleets advancing south from the Black sea. We lose a quinquereme.
We now have a growing force building around the area of Savaria/Aquileia. The hope is that peace can soon be signed with Germania so that these forces can initiate an invasion of northern Dacia.
A truely viscious series of battles takes place in the vicinity of Naissus. The result is uncertain for a time until a combined force of eques and ballistae
Break the back of the Dacian army and a force of legios and velites break through into the forests north of Naissus. (screenshot1) The eastern front is less certain with a number of bellators threatening a single legio and some velites.
The fighting is unremitting in asia with tit-for-tat attacks causing heavy losses on both sides. Our strategy so far is to attempt to surround the enemy with our 4 armies on the corners of a rectangle. Injured units can be ferried to healing centres at Antioch, Damascus and Palmyra. (screenshot2)
Next turn we will attempt to draw the enemy towards Palmyra by withdrawing the army stationed there. Hopefully this will allow us to storm Thapsacus. With a smaller force we will then advance on Amida. (screenshot3)
We've sold all remaining sapre resources/luxuries to egypt for 15gpt.

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 80
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 81
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 86
Great job on all fronts Traianus. :goodjob: It would seem my confidence in your abilities is well founded.

It it just me, or is this game of RFRE the most enjoyable that has been played? Not that I haven't enjoyed other plays through RFRE, its just vastly more interesting and challenging when you have people to play with.

Great screenshots Traianus, Monarch. Wars against Germania, Dacia and Parthia seems to be going fine (with people like you around, it is like if Rome had a Caesar or a Trajanus permanently - who is going to represent the weak consuls, emperors, me :lol:?)

These graphics mod can be included, and even more graphic add (like name of places), but someone will have to do it (read, not me!). Here is what I propose. The last week of May (for I am leaving again next week - to the South this time), I will update all 4 BIQs the best way I can. Then, I will send the BIQ to our volunteer(s), who can then apply the graphic changes to each of the BIQ (plus, if he feels brave, check the consistency of the changes). After that, the patch is released and I take a 10 year holiday from modding ;) Monarch, do you feel up to it :)?

Truly great job thus far!

About the civil war. I dont think we need to rush civitas before civil war ends.

Lex agraria stays in our city until next tech arrives! Thus we need to finish civitas in all cities before next tech arrives NOT before civil war ends. Or does Lex agraria cease to function in a republic?

So no need to cancel projects with many shields invested, finish them by poprushing or use money when we are back in republic.
It´s huge waste when one changes a 65/100 mercator into a 1/1 civitas.

/ The fool who caused war on all fronts aka "Consul Bella Multipla"

Great job, Traianus! Love to see that those "pathetic Dacians" put up a fight though :lol:. Wouldn't want things too easy for you ;). Any improvement on the gamespeed?

Gee, Pink. Thnx, I guess. Tempting indeed! I guess I could spare a few (read VERY FEW) hours a day during lunch hours. Luckily (just) graphic modding doesn't take all that much (I'm beeing naive, I know). So how about this: I envisaged some (minor) changes all around the map (mostly based on real geographic info :cool:), including those ever recurring borders of Dacia and Britania. I'll send the map to you via mail (you can import it beneath your current biq and see if it fits with your ideas). You could then change (back) something here and there and get the mod ready with all the units and new stuff.

Then, after you give it for rechecking, since my time is so very scarce, I'm offering to recheck the map and cities and implement whatever place resources we already have in the resource.pcx already (unless people come up with even more location resources?) without changing anything more to the landscape or unit allocation without noticing you (after all it's your final say :D), but somebody else will have to check sci and unit stats and govts and anything else, maibe Captain Beaver?

Of course, it would be easy to import the new map under the 150 and 325 biq and I'm offering to check the limes for breaches (my favourite :D) - this 325 version has a few :p - and anything else related to the map, so how's that, you guys?

There are currently 66 location resources and probably we've missed a few (to the east) so if anyone will come up with ideas, I'm sure they'll be more than welcome.

So, Pink, I think it's best if I mailed you the map and the edited graphic (LM forests, some advisors, some cities, the city screen etc) before you undertook the changes and so you can change anything you see fit. Don't worry, the map changes are minor and more for geographical accuracy and gameplay, nothing to get alarmed ;).

Drendor said:
Truly great job thus far!

About the civil war. I dont think we need to rush civitas before civil war ends.

Lex agraria stays in our city until next tech arrives! Thus we need to finish civitas in all cities before next tech arrives NOT before civil war ends. Or does Lex agraria cease to function in a republic?

So no need to cancel projects with many shields invested, finish them by poprushing or use money when we are back in republic.
It´s huge waste when one changes a 65/100 mercator into a 1/1 civitas.

/ The fool who caused war on all fronts aka "Consul Bella Multipla"

The Lex Agraria requires civil war, therefore it will not be available after it ends. You can pop rush in civil war? I thought there was no hurry in anarchy.

you can whip the workers during civil war. I didn't in any case where it would cost more than 1 citizen and I didn't abandon any shields. I just rushed or changed projects to suit. After the end of civil war all the free municipums (municipi?) dissappeared! Now they have to be built. I missed Neapolis so we're building it there now.
As I said in the report, optimism might be premature. I continued to next turn last night to see what to expect and it's not good. The AI does not seem to be scared of a full hp army once it occupies one of it's cities. The persians attacked Thapsacus with everything they had and wiped out the defenders including the exercitus Julii. It was with the aid of some dubious RNGing but we'll have to see what the luck of the gods brings us today

I guess the A.I. takes into consideration what you have besides that full hp Army. It's good news if they're not scared by a single army :lol:. Put everything you have in that city and reload. I doubt we can afford to (permanently) lose the Iulii Army even before Caesar was born.

the_Monarch said:
I guess the A.I. takes into consideration what you have besides that full hp Army. It's good news if they're not scared by a single army :lol:. Put everything you have in that city and reload. I doubt we can afford to (permanently) lose the Iulii Army even before Caesar was born.

either that or turn the city into a deathtrap.

The AI almost never attack an army with 10+hp out in the open so you could raze the walls and sell the improvments in the city and camp outside.

Hopefully the persians occupy the city with some juicy cavalry that we bombard and kill with legions cause they cant escape.

Have you managed to build a triumphus in middle east this early?

Remember that most persian units cant attack Palmyra from the north ,cause they cant walk through desert. So its quite safe unless they come from the east (I think)

Playing hide and seek by moving into and out from the city to draw away Persian forces moving west is a good idea

How's our dirty little war, Traianus?

I've happened to stumble upon some of your (great!) work in the completed graphics forum (mainly some city improvements and resources). I was wondering if you had something to replace those imps that repeat each other (like the Portus Campania and Portus Migrare) and others. I won't have all that time to search for graphics for that chapter but maibe you would and we'd send them to Pink by the time he comes back.

Btw I don't have his e-mail and I understand you do. Since graphics take a lot of space I'd like to send them by mail either through you or directly to him. Let's make this work, shall we? Anybody with more (graphics ideas and not only) is more than welcome. Yesterday I've put some cool sand dunes in Sahara, courtesy of Thamis.

the_Monarch said:
Then, after you give it for rechecking, since my time is so very scarce, I'm offering to recheck the map and cities and implement whatever place resources we already have in the resource.pcx already (unless people come up with even more location resources?) without changing anything more to the landscape or unit allocation without noticing you (after all it's your final say :D), but somebody else will have to check sci and unit stats and govts and anything else, maibe Captain Beaver?

Of course, it would be easy to import the new map under the 150 and 325 biq and I'm offering to check the limes for breaches (my favourite :D) - this 325 version has a few :p - and anything else related to the map, so how's that, you guys?

For checking unit stats and govts, wouldn'it be easier to simply import the rules from the 275BC Hard start to the 150BC start and the 325AD start :mischief: ? Checking all four biqs would be tedious...
For the Limes in the 325AD, I don't see the holes you are talking about. If it is about the western Dacian section, I intended it that way to give the Goth a chance to raid the empire and to leed Scythia into Gaul rather than Greece. Most of the "holes" are indeed intentionnal. Maybe show me pictures of what you found and we can discuss it.

captain beaver said:
For checking unit stats and govts, wouldn'it be easier to simply import the rules from the 275BC Hard start to the 150BC start and the 325AD start :mischief: ? Checking all four biqs would be tedious...

Yes, I guess it should. I think Pink refered to somebody checking to see if the changes he made didn't elude some aspects (probably for just one biq). But the units cannot be imported, right?

captain beaver said:
For the Limes in the 325AD, I don't see the holes you are talking about. If it is about the western Dacian section, I intended it that way to give the Goth a chance to raid the empire and to leed Scythia into Gaul rather than Greece. Most of the "holes" are indeed intentionnal. Maybe show me pictures of what you found and we can discuss it.

Only holes I see are near Savaria and behind Sirmium. How could you intend Scythia to go into Gaul? They have to go south of Porolissum (because of the swamps there) and then invade Savaria, maibe Vindobona if you're lucky but most probably they'll head for Sirmium and then Illyria. On the other hand I think they'll head for Tomis and directly towards Constantinopolis. Maibe the Danube limes should be shortened for this aspect (trully Attila ravaged Greece but he withdrew soon enough). With the new costly Limitanei you won't be able to garrison this length

My suggestion would be to put some more swamps and make use of the Grand River tile. Maibe take a look at the map I suggested a few weeks ago here: post #2503.

Since then, there have been many discussions about:
-how to stimulate a withdrawal from Dacia, (through HN bomb units)
-how to make the Eastern limes much easier to defend than the western one (I think this does the trick)
-how to respect, where possible, the geographical accuracy of the map (more work is needed there, I'll have a new variant soon)
-how to still stimulate the barbs to attack the limes and to somehow surprise the player. (tough one - probably will need testplay)

But, IMO, all these changes will take place after I give the new map to Pink for approval. Since I'm sure you should have a say before that, I'll give you the 275 BC hard map I've been working on in a day or two and we should both agree upon it before Pink returns. So how's that?

I dont mean to be rude my fellow senators but I think it´s better if you discuss the modding buisness at the completed modpacks forum.

How goes the war consul Traianus?

D

Sorry to be dragging this turn, guys. I had some family business to attend to and will get my turns done today. I played on a couple more turns yaesterday to see how it would unfold and Persia will accept peace in 60BC assuming we manage to kill a lot of their horses. It remains to be seen if we will be able to take any cities by then so I might fight on a bit.
@ Monarch. I actually asked Pink about doing some graphix for him before he went away last time. He politely declined due to the work load it implied but then said he would use some when he got back and saw my results. :D
It's an oportunity as most things I make for him will have a place in the Gallic Wars mod too. I'm not sure if I do have an e-mail for him somewhere still. I'll have to look.
What is needed still? If you can think of improvements you would like to see done, PM me. The resouces section still needs some corrections/additions. I will do those.

Top Bottom