Rise and fall of the roman empire

62BC
Again, the germanics begin to muster forces but stay at arms length.
Both the Dacians and persians attempt to withdraw to safer positions.
Our count of new civitas status cities this turn is 47. Our treasury is boosted by this and rises to 50gpt surplus.
Our Julii army withdraws from Palmyra as planned. Let's see if they take the bait. Meanwhile, the Brutii army sweeps down into Thapsacus. We wait at the walls to cause disruption to the flow of parthic reenforcements southwards. A sizeable force heads out eastwards from Miletene for Amida. It feels as though the Persian war is beginning to turn but we check our optimism. They still have 85 units visible and we will not underestimate them.
Our legionary force advances to the walls of Sirmium and velite bombardment destroys the gatehouse. Our brave soldiers will storm the city soon. A supporting force is following in significant numbers although they may yet be ordered to turn northeast into the Dacian hearthlands.
60BC
A huge force of Dacian eques advances on our position near Sirmium. These are dangerous units.
The Persian war machine seems exhausted. Our rectangular 'cage' tactic seems to have worked with almost 30 units of horse archers destroyed. No new ones have appeared this turn. In fact, some forces have been diverted northwards to deal with the threat to Amida and some eastwards in an attempt to go round and take Palmyra. We'll do well to remember that.
The Germans again attempt a half-hearted invasion but leave themselves in full view of our velites, ballistae and legios.
The Sirmiun invasion force heads west into forest directly towards the eques. We immediatley marshal the Scipio army to advance in support. A force of velites and ballistaehead to the southeast walls.
With most of the hippotoxotae dead, our armies in the east turn to the elephants and foot soldiers of the Persians. They have caused grave damage to the local road network and this will hamper our support forces. the Amida force is now in place.
The Germanic attack force is completely routed. We expected more from these barbarians.
58BC
The Dacian eques advance through Sirmium and launch a devastating attack which destroys 4 velites and 2 ballistae. We vow they will not survive to cause any more problems. Our armiy is arrayed at the gates of Sirmium. It will fall next turn.
The Persians are in full retreat. Without their horse archers they are impotent. The elephants are strong but too slow to matter. The gates of Amida are torn down and the standard of the Misfits Legio is raised high above the town square. We are in pusuit of the persians south of Thapsacus where our forces will shortly begin an assault. (screenshot)
Still the Germanics refuse to talk peace. It is a frustrating fact as we wish to free these forces in order to cross into Dacia.

Attachments

• screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 79
Great job, Traianus!! Ave Casar, moritori te salutant. Stubborn German folk :lol:. Try to make peace with the Scythians then. They're linked in a permanent alliance.

I think things never could have been better. We have "milked" all our enemies of their forces. We should prepare for a second offensive into Egypt and retake Petra. Seems it was well worth sending all those troops to Dacia ;). Btw, I want you to have a say at the new Dacian landscape I've posted on the main thread before I give it to Pink. Only problem is our tedious research...

Thanks, Monarch. I've looked at the Dacian post but not in detail. Allow me 'til this evening and I'll reply.
The update;
56BC
Dacia is still providing some resistance but Persia is reduced to archers and some elephants.
Thapsacus is taken easily and our forces kill two more elephant units.
Germania agrees to peace in exchange for 35 gold. Those theives will pay another day! Our forces head immediately head for Tibiscum.
Sirmium falls quickly and we now have a huge force in the city.
We have a cumba now in the English Channel. Strangely enough, since we can now see some britanic moves the turns are going a little quicker.
We demand audience with the Persians. They say they will pay us 42 gold plus 12gpt if we withdraw now. They will not, however, return Edessa under any circumstances.
My instinct is to take this deal. Next turn they will not be able to offer so much and they have a sizeable force approaching Amida, where we have no reenforcements. It is also worth noting that, in the event of hostilities again, we could have 4 of their cities under siege within a single turn.(assuming we build the neccesary roads, of course.) Refer to the screenshot.
What says the senate?

Attachments

• screenshot5.jpg
    screenshot5.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 93
  • screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot6.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 105
Nice work again! Traianus will be remembered as one of the great generals in our campaign.

I vote for continuing fighting Persia until war weariness prevents us.

Not necicerally (how do you spell that one?:crazyeye:) to occupy more cities but to kill more units.

How many troops do we have in Amida if war continues?

Maybe you could evacuate the legions to the hills and retake it when the persian riders occupy it?

Bleed the persians some more and then sue for peace.

In Dacia we should aim at occuping the whole of their lands or at least we must capture the GOLDMINES! (start drooling)

Strength and Honor!

Well, my success is partly due to a reload at 64BC. Without that we'have lost an army, at least. But thank you.
Our forces in/near Amida are approx. 6 legio, 3 velites, 3 ballista, 2 fuditores.
I think war weariness might be a factor because of the Dacians before the Persians as we started that one so we lose nothing in continuing against Persia (apart from unit losses).
I must say, that was an intense few turns of play!

We seem to have the Persian by the throat. Unless Amida is in danger I say we take Edessa to leave our troops to better business like finishing Egypt once and for all for the next 20 turns. I have not forgtotten their treachery.

The Dacians should be destroyed, yes, and then, hopefully some of us with antique computers might have a try at this enourmously time consuiming game :D. Best of luck.

Good job once again! It is a brillant campaign on all fronts Traianus. For Amida, if the city can be retaken with our nearby units when all of their forces take it and go in, then I say continue the war to take Edessa at least. Else, it is going to be a pocket of resistance in our territory.
If their forces near Amida are too great, then accept peace and go after the egyptians bastards!

Well, that's me done! I feel tired after all that war. I think I played 13 turns so forgive me. The lure of battle was too much. Anyway, here is the last report;
54-52BC
We have rebuked the offer of peace made by those Persian swine. They will be made to understand their mistake in attacking Rome. However, the next injury is inflicted by them as they kill a legio defending Amida. We decided not to abandon the city but to garrison it with as many troops as possible. This is a partially successful strategy as they do not send any further troops to Amida. Unfortunately, a second lego is destroyed by armoured elephants further south.
In Dacia, the enemy phase is quieter than in recent times. Nothing of note here.
Part due to war weariness and part due to the obsoletions of Sulla's Rule, our treasury has hit hard times. We have gone from +81gpt in the previous turn to -61gpt! And Triumvirate will take 15 turns.
We are not in pleasant mood and the Persians are made to feel this. 2 armoured elephants, a cataphract and numerous archer units are killed. Most satisfying of all our kills, however, is a belator mesopotomiae.We will not be making peace with this enemy anytime soon, I feel.
In Dacia, we are now in a position to attack Tibiscum with a substantial force next turn. Unfortunately, it will take at least 2 turns before our forces in Sirmium are sufficiently healed to march on Sarmizegetusa.
50BC
The persians somehow have managed to assemble some 7 further mounted units. It won't save them. War weariness is indeed to blame for our ailing economy but the newly aquired goldmines near Sirmium go part way to alleviating this problem.
We destroy 3 of the advancing Persian horse units as the road to Thapsacus gets well underway.
Meanwhile, in Dacia, our advance goes unchecked and Tibiscum falls without hindrence. A large force of bellatores is wiped out as they attempt to encircle our defences near Oescus.
48BC
Dacian and Persian resistance is falling away. The Persians are reduced to destroying land improvements and then running away. The Dacians fare even worse - They simply get as far as our town outskirts and wait there to die.
It is noted that both the Gauls and Egyptians seem to think they have right-of-passage agreements with us. How curious! Further re-education seems to be needed.
Offensively, it is a quiet turn in Dacia. We kill a single Tribus Barbarus while attempting to heal our tired army.
In the east, the persian casualties amount to 1 armoured elephant, 1 cataphract and 2 horse archers.
We are now in a position to move towards Edessa and perhaps Dura Europos too.
46BC
A very large force of sagitarii move towards Amida. They are numerous but not a large concern. They will not attack a garrisoned legio directly and are, most likely, just out for mischief.
The Dacians now seem to be withdrawing nearer to Sarmizegetusa.
Our forces are back on the offensive again.
In Dacia, we move north towards the capital city. Our generals seem quite taken with the transilvanian gold and the promise of more is alluring. We slay some straggling Dacian forces on the way. Our road network to our new Dacian cities is nearing completion.
Artillery fire causes many casualties among the persian archers approaching Amida but still they come.
The road to Thapsacus is now complete and our huge force there now splits and heads for Edessa and Dura Europos. It appears that the Persians have no more elephant units.
44BC
The sagitarii wounded in the previous turn retreat while the uninjured units avoid Amida and head west, deeper into Roman territory.
There is nothing of note in the Dacian manoeuvering this turn.
our forces again cause considerable damage to the advancing archers. They keep coming. They will die to a man. Only a cruel tyrant would send his men to such a meaningless death!
Our forces arrive safely at the walls of Edessa and Dura Europos. We notice a belator Mesopotomiae en route to our territories.
Many of our units are now nearing Sarmizegetusa. The gold is in sight.

Here is where I step down and allow the next consul his turn. I wish him luck and the speed of the gods. My parting gift is two broken empires, ripe for crushing under the Roman boot. Be wary of Egypt. They continue to treat our borders with distain. We have deals with them which have many turns yet to run so let them make the first move in any conflict.
For the Senate and the People of Rome I, Publius Traianus Nero, hand over control of our armies.
Strength and Honour.

Attachments

• Traianus44BC.zip
    464.3 KB · Views: 60
  • screenshot7.jpg
    screenshot7.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 84
  • screenshot8.jpg
    screenshot8.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 62
Who feels like continuing our quest for glory?

Myself is a little busy with schoolwork at the moment.

It would be grand if the Dacians get completely wiped out to decrease IBT time as well...

According to the original rooster, it's Pink's turn. If he's too busy, it's mine. I finished my exams so there souldn't be any problem.

captain beaver said:
According to the original rooster, it's Pink's turn. If he's too busy, it's mine. I finished my exams so there souldn't be any problem.

Ok, give Pink a day to respond. After that you´re in charge!

Suggestions: Capture as much of Dacia as possible. Would be nice if we wiped them out so that all those immobile units vanish.

Make Persia bleed as much as possible before war weariness forces us to sue for peace.

Reinforce Egyptian borders. After peace with Persia they should be the next target for our imperialism!

To whoever takes over, it should be noted that war weariness has kicked in and is quite bad.
Also, we have 13 turns of trade agreements with Egypt to run.
Good luck to the next consul!

Pink is not coming back until the 30'th. Or so he said. I think we might give the correctiveness a break here. After all we have reached the empire and we'll have no need for more allies so screw Cleopatra (not literally ;)). But make sure we have at least 1 or 2 turns of peace before that.

Ok, Castor, take it. I'd like to take it from you if we have time before Pink returns, it's been a while since I had some fun... I hope the game will go smother after Dacia, Gallia and Egypt are gone. Don't forget to max out research. We are forever behind with it. Maibe some micromanagement is in order and some disbanding of obsolete units. I also see we have too many Catastae and Latifundiae in Iberia!!! Too many slave revolts for such few productivity.

Traianus, I hope you'll have some time for modding, right? I was wondering why don't we have a good old Roman "taberna" building. Or the wonder of Bacchanalia (last one is more of a longshot, I know). You were saying something about redesigning the oppidum. On the completed graphics thread there is a great medieval buildings collection by Plotinus, featuring 2 wooden pallisades, maibe you can take something from there. I also like your shrine much more than the current delubrum. Same for the theatre.

Thanks, Mate! The oppidum is now posted on the usual thread. I'm working on the Stones of Carnac now. I'd really like to help as much as poss. on this. It was a real honour to be allowed do all the new resource graphix a while back and some new stuff is needed there again. I think I'll work away on that now and let you know when I'm done.
Forgot to mention that most cities were being automanaged when I took the consuulship and I let them be as economy was healthy. But now we're -41gpt and some micromanagement would sort that, I'm sure.

the_Monarch said:
Pink is not coming back until the 30'th. Or so he said. I think we might give the correctiveness a break here. After all we have reached the empire and we'll have no need for more allies so screw Cleopatra (not literally ;)). But make sure we have at least 1 or 2 turns of peace before that.

Ok, Castor, take it. I'd like to take it from you if we have time before Pink returns, it's been a while since I had some fun... I hope the game will go smother after Dacia, Gallia and Egypt are gone. Don't forget to max out research. We are forever behind with it. Maibe some micromanagement is in order and some disbanding of obsolete units. I also see we have too many Catastae and Latifundiae in Iberia!!! Too many slave revolts for such few productivity.

Traianus, I hope you'll have some time for modding, right? I was wondering why don't we have a good old Roman "taberna" building. Or the wonder of Bacchanalia (last one is more of a longshot, I know). You were saying something about redesigning the oppidum. On the completed graphics thread there is a great medieval buildings collection by Plotinus, featuring 2 wooden pallisades, maibe you can take something from there. I also like your shrine much more than the current delubrum. Same for the theatre.

Is it still possible to delete Catastae and maintain bonus from latifunda?:p

Regarding micro: You can usually earn 80-120 gp/turn by promoting taxmen in corrupted cities.

Drendor said:
Is it still possible to delete Catastae and maintain bonus from latifunda?:p

Regarding micro: You can usually earn 80-120 gp/turn by promoting taxmen in corrupted cities.

Yes it is. You can have both the Amphitheatre and Latifundia even after you scrap the catasta. Thus you get lower pollution and unhappiness. For some reason they don't yield any production reason anyway!! Why is that? Only downfall is no more free servii. But if it were for me I'd consider that cheating. However, many Iberic cities have a minor production (max 3!!!) so they have more pollution than production! The RNG is a killer as I see all Iberia filled with waste. The servii are kept from developing the countryside to remove slave unrests which is bull. So I recommend scraping all catastae in Iberia. This will boost the treasury, lower unhistorical spread of slaveunrest in Iberia and act as Amphitheatres already. We won't ever need amphitheatres in Iberia as we'll have 3 extra luxuries and nowhere soon will the warweariness be as high.

We should get those Egyptian and Barbarian goods asap. War with Persia should be over very soon and we should try to do our best to reach Triumvirate in 8 turns. It is 44 BC and we haven't even built Pompey!!! On the conquests side we have a stalemate: we don't have all Gaul but we do have Dacia. By Augustus we should max out the Empire and start building the limes already. But I don't think this would be much trouble. We have a (too strong and expensive) army. We need a good economist now more than ever.

Traianus, you've done a great job so far. About the modding, if you need anything, just call. I've (re)done the arid mountains as captain beaver requested. I'll think of some flavor units now while I await my turn. Strength and honor!

Btw I was wondering if it would be more historically accurate if we moved those army generating wonders up a knotch? Like you should have at least one Scipio to do battle with the Barca brothers and it's useless to have a Caesar army by the time all wars are over. So how about if the Second Punic War and Cisalpine and Illyrian Wars change places as historical? I'll include that in a new biq.

Ok I just started my turn and I can say that our economy is in pretty bad shape. We need to research as fast as possible while war weariness is crippling our cities. Right now, to research Triumvirate at max speed, we are losing 120gpt with a treasury of about 350g, not enough to substain 3 turns at that research rate. If I make peace with Persia in exchange for Nisibis and some money AFTER capturing Edessa and Dura Europos, there are no noticeble change in war weariness. We are still losing 100 gpt. If I make peace after that with Dacia in exchange for money and the city of Porolissum, we arrive at a surplus of 12 gpt. So, we have a dilema : peace to let the economy recover, or continue the war and fall behing even more in research. I would say peace. Dacia has infiltrated units inside our borders which are going to pillage the road network while persian units are everywhere and our units need rest. I would gladly turn toward Gallia and Egypt as they are a lot weaker. Ultimatly, the decision rests in you hands fellow senators.

I heard some saying that we should micromanage the cities. Presently, we have about 100-150 cities. I don't want personnaly to check every city every turn in order to maximize their gold/shield output. Maybe we could say that the automated governors represent the loss of efficiency of a huge empire and let it drop there... :mischief:

captain beaver said:
Ok I just started my turn and I can say that our economy is in pretty bad shape. We need to research as fast as possible while war weariness is crippling our cities. Right now, to research Triumvirate at max speed, we are losing 120gpt with a treasury of about 350g, not enough to substain 3 turns at that research rate. If I make peace with Persia in exchange for Nisibis and some money AFTER capturing Edessa and Dura Europos, there are no noticeble change in war weariness. We are still losing 100 gpt. If I make peace after that with Dacia in exchange for money and the city of Porolissum, we arrive at a surplus of 12 gpt. So, we have a dilema : peace to let the economy recover, or continue the war and fall behing even more in research. I would say peace. Dacia has infiltrated units inside our borders which are going to pillage the road network while persian units are everywhere and our units need rest. I would gladly turn toward Gallia and Egypt as they are a lot weaker. Ultimatly, the decision rests in you hands fellow senators.

I heard some saying that we should micromanage the cities. Presently, we have about 100-150 cities. I don't want personnaly to check every city every turn in order to maximize their gold/shield output. Maybe we could say that the automated governors represent the loss of efficiency of a huge empire and let it drop there... :mischief:

Ok, sue for peace if war weariness have gone that far.

Suggestion: sell of amfitheaters and catastae in Spain for some extra gold to our treasury

Turn off autogovernor for a while, when we are at peace. Assign taxcollectors(4 gpt each) in cities that cant grow any more or wont benefit from growing due to corruption. We built too many aquaducts in city that wasnt ready for it. A couple of cities should have stayed at size 6 building velites when granary was full.

It is also important from now on that we dont forget to adjust the science slider when research is near completion. Alot of gold can be saved with changing the slider the last turns.

Lets calm the crowds. Begone with war weariness!

Wait a second! Did I hear someone say before that war weariness is due to wars that WE start? We didn't start the Persian war. We did start the Dacian one, however. Does it make a difference?

Top Bottom