1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and fall of the roman empire

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Drendor, Mar 20, 2006.

1. the_Monarch

the_Monarch annointed and crowned

Thnx, Traianus. I wanted my share of fun with the barbs like Obelix usually does with his Romans :lol:. So who's next?

2. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

3. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

I believe it is either Traianus or Monarch.

4. the_Monarch

:confused: Funny :p. I've just played my 15 turns. Normally it would be Drendor succeding me. Emperor Linkowicius, duty calls :D! Pink is out for the weekend so the show must go on. Is Appolyton still playing, btw?

5. Drendor

Drendor King

ok I will continue our quest for glory

I will play almost 10 turns if the IBT is slow and 10+ if IBT is smooth.

6. Traianus

Will the SG still be viable after the new patch is installed?

7. Gaias

Gaias Earthman

The SG will continue to work as only the graphics will be updated with the current save.

8. Traianus

so there's extra stuff in the new patch but nothing old has been taken away?

9. Drendor

Drendor King

Rome 42 AD

Our empire is prospering, our cities in Gaul, Italy, Greece and Balkan are becoming production powerhorses.

Almost all legions are building roads to connect cities,resources and strategic spots.

I have researched advanced architecture and have started to build terma (bath-houses) in all major cities. I have also started a project of triumphs---->forum romanum in many cites to fight corruption and spawn some culture

Some cities have built portus commerci (Massillia, Rhodes and Salamis)
    I disbanded the portus navis as soon as I began the commerci builds.
    I think that some city is still building portus commerci, dont cancel that project cause since I removed the portus navis there is no way back.

I have sold alot of catasta and ambhitheaters cause we were having major problems with slave unrest in our productive areas.

I used a fast fleet to ferry a stack of eques between Spain and Italy, they are on their way to Capua now to fight unrest in the olive hills. Make sure to road those hills. Its very annoying to ride in with a stack of eques just to notice that there were no roads.

We had a minor war with Britannia where we conquered their two cities located in Gaul. We had some unnecessary casualties (I think 4 celtic warrior, 1 celtic horseman and some velites) mainly because of bad luck with the RNG and some underestimation from my part. I attacked before I had an army in that area and they mustered 6-7 barbarian eques.

The good news is that the Scyths were riding through our weakly defended east lands (around 15 Nomads :eek: ) I was afraid they were gonna attack some of our newly conquered weak cities so I immediately moved reinforcements to the area. The riders then headed northwest to the Vindobina??? area. The area we have just conquered with barbarian good around.

Out from the blue 10-12 germanic praedators appeared and the Scyths started to attack them. The scythian riders and the praedators became locked down in a war of attrition resulting in 8 dead praedators and 12+ dead scyths. :goodjob: This happened right in front of the eyes of the roman troops

I have rebased our entire navy (3 ships :eek: ) to our city in the black sea.

Dont build advanced & expensive city improvements in our corrupted cites in Persia and Armenia. The corruption will eat up all of their gains resulting only in costs with their maintainance. Besides, if we need to retreat from those cites later back to our future limes we wouldnt wanna leave developed cites to our enemies.

There was a man in Palestine who were stirring up the locals so we crusified him, i think it was around 40 AD.

The crux iesi and Praetorium in Rome has affected our whole empire, so be cautious.

The child birth reform has taken place, so our cities are exploding in size.
    Therefore I have started therma in all major cities. Maybe we should use this population boom as well to build alot of legio imperatoria?
    So far I have built almost no troops, and both our economy (600gpt at max science) and our population could support a sizeable force of those legions.
    It would be nice, when all major city improvements have been finished if we could build up our force of legion, so that we have around 120-140 legio imperatoria

We are currently researching siege warfare (for catapults and for starting the lime projects) We have philosophy unresearched so maybe we need to discuss in wich order to research the future discoveries..

I have mircomanaged alot, If next consul decides to use governor maybe he should set lux to 10% to allow our cites to use as many city tiles as possible?
    The AI loves to assign a horde of clowns at the slightest sign of disorder.

Next consul to play could pm me his email and I will send the save!

The resigning Ceasar Linkowicius

10. the_Monarch

We should use our fabers to found some new cities. I already refounded Sattala and the new city of Durocortorum (Reims). We definetely need one in Tingis (Forgot to tell you about that one) to move our Navis Actuaria into the Atlantic and take over Britannia. I thought this was obvious. There are only a handful of cities that need to be conquered but let's not wait too long. We need to build the Vallum Hadrianis and limes quite fast.

11. Drendor

Drendor King

I left the conquest of Britannia for my succesors. We have one cumba in the channel already. If we build one more we can easily ferry over 8-12 troops per turn.
    We need our fabers to build roads,mines and chop down trees in our vast conquered lands.
    With over 100+ cities I see no need to found new ones. The borders are pretty static and permanent now as well,so I see no danger for the enemy to settle pockets of our lands

Who will be next? (byt the way, the turns are faster now)

12. Gaias

Gaias Earthman

Just the graphics will be affected (units, building, map) as the save works independantly from the new BIC. So as long as Pink didn't changed the naming conventions for the graphics, all the old graphics will be replaced by the newer ones. None of the new rules changes will be there as the save file is saved with all the version 1.1 information and doesn't reference to the new BIC.

@Drendor

A funny thing about that Cumba in the channel. I don't know where it came from. :p When I had conquered Gesoriacum and cycled through some of the units, this Cumba appears out of nowhere at the top of the map just outside of the boarders near the north Picti city. It was the weirdest thing I have seen as I know I didn't have any Cumbas in foreign waters for it to be transported there. Maybe it was a gift of the gods... :crazyeye:

13. Traianus

Eh... I sent it there!
    I just wanted to explore, what can I say?!? Plus, I thought the map info would come in handy when we decided to go after cities in those areas. I did mention it my report.

14. the_Monarch

So the buttler did it ;). I was beginning to doubt my allegiances to the right religion :lol:.

@ Drendor: fabers are ok but expensive to maintain. I like slaves better. I don't know how come we have fewer servs on easy version than I had on hard :confused:? Could it be that we both scraped a lot of those catastae :mischief:? Maibe we should leave them be for we'll need more servs.

Oh and I'm sure you realize that Tingis and a route from Mediteranean to Atlantic is as necessary as can be... I've sent a faber on the route to Rome to be shiped to Alexandria and do the task but I guess you found some better use to it :lol:. And there are never enough cities for my taste :drool:.

15. Drendor

Drendor King

I sent the save to apolytoncivfan.

Good luck dude! :)

Senator Linkowicius

16. captain beaver

:eek:
    Don't get modest on us now! It should be Emperor Linkowicius. ;)

17. Drendor

Drendor King

I dont dare call myself emperor, I dont want a stab in the back...... :mischief:

18. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Lots of work, reading eagerly :coffee:
    Hail to to our great emperors!

Stab stab! :ninja:

19. the_Monarch

Is Appolyton around anymore? Is this game going underground now :D?

20. captain beaver

We should probably skip Apolyton and give the save to the next on list.