Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by pinktilapia, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jobiwan7

jobiwan7 Jedi Scholar

Many barbarians were used for cavalry and infantry, Rome used archers from the mid-east, Carthage used Balearic slinger mercenaries, etc. I thought this could be a good way to implement these troops.

2. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Balearic slingers could be the good troop for the concept, in the line of the Numids (1st available to Carthage, then Rome, depending on who control Numidia). It would give some value to these tiny islands too. Since I wish to keep the number of resources low (just how many can be spotted on the city screen already?), I will pre-place the slingers-spawning wonder there.

3. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Ok, last weekend changes and others, still need a few translations for units:
    -Engineers
    -Chariots (did I miss it?)
    -Imperial Guards (although I will look out for it)
    -Fine triremes
    -Christians (the ones for the arena...uh)
    -Queen Cleopatra
    -Justinian’s Army (actually Belasarus and Narses’s Army) – maybe in Greek since other contemporary units are already in that language.
    -Spy

I will work on a list of improvements that I will post here for possible translation.

4. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Rome used balearic slingers itself :)

5. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

@pinktilapia:

Cohortes Praetorianae (Praetorian Guards)
    Were the guards called only Praetorin cohorts or did you do that to distinct them from the Praetorian Legion (which name was changed over the weekend for Imperial Guards)

This is a plural term that would be translated in English Pretorian Guard as a collective singular name. In our modern world, it would be translated... Police :)

Antonine's Army (whom ?)
    Hum, yes, it is generic. It represents the armies under the command of the various great Antonine Emperors, mainly Trajan and Marcus Antonius...

ok will look for a translation this eve.

Legio Praetoriana (Praetorian Legion)
    Gone for Imperial Guards (I have the Latin name for that somewhere)

Pretorian Guards at first were the bodyguards of the Emperor. So Imperial Guard and Pretorian Guard is in essence the same thing. The term was then extended to the meaning of "police". I am not sure if a pretorian legion ever existed. Maybe the legion in defense of Rome during the Empire...

Equites Mercenarii (Mounted Barbarian Mercenaries)
    Ok if I put Barbari Equites Mercenarii, to be coherent with the similar foot unit?

Yeah, I didn't do it because it seemed a very long name for a unit. If you think it's too long you could as well call them Barbari Equites. If they are enlisted in the Roman Army it must mean they're mercenary ;)

Woadraiders (man... for the romans they were just barbarians !)
    Would Misfit's Pictus be a good name for these horrible naked barbarians (sigh, Keira...)?

Yes but to be coherent with the other units you should use it at plural: Picti. You may also add another specific term like barbarian/raider/warrior etc.

Camelites (I invented it ! Camel Riders)
    Arrr, confirmation it is ok?

well Camel is Camelus, horse is Equus. I used what would be the latin form of camel rider (sort of "Cameler" in english ^^). Couldn't find any translation on my dictionary... except for the camel seller/merchant :crazyeye:
    Seeing at how after all this is just a game, you can just use it IMO.

Naves Longae (Fine Triremes, actually means Warships)
    I would keep triremes in the name. What would be the latin for 'superior triremes' or the kind?

Yeah, I was about to translate it like that but then I thought Naves Longae might have been better. Fine/Superior Triremes would be Summae Triremes

Good job really :goodjob: !
    Tell me if you feel ready for the improvements :)!

6. Metacomet

Metacomet King

Hi,

About the roman navy I propose to have 3 kinds of ships:

1- The first Roman ships must be the trireme. These ships were built by following the example of captured Carthaginian vessels, combined with the expertise supplied by the Greek cities of southern Italy.
    2- Based on the basic design of the trireme, the quinquereme became the standard battle ship.
    3- In the latter half of the 1st century BC, a new style of ship-building was introduced. The liburna, was so called because it was developed from the ships used by the Illyrian pirates of Liburnia. It had only two rows of oars, and the Romans came to prefer it because of its greater speed and maneuverability.

Think that After the battle of Actium (31 B.C.) the main purpose of the navy became transport. The ships of the Republic (from about 260 B.C. to 50 B.C.) had been vessels intended primarily for combat, with full decks to provide a large area for mustering soldiers, a powerful ram, and an easily removable mast allowing a high degree of maneuverability. Reflecting the fact that there was no longer an existing enemy fleet to deal with, the Cabins now became the norm. Some ships had two (usually at the stern, but occasionally at the prow), suggesting an increased level of comfort: important if galleys were to be used for the transportation of dignitaries.

7. Metacomet

Metacomet King

8. jobiwan7

jobiwan7 Jedi Scholar

Have you considered naming anything "Urban Cohort?" It would probably work for a guard's name.

EDIT: Metacomet already posted that idea.

9. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Ok, Mongoloid Cow did post something on that liburnian a few days ago. There seem to be even a unit for it! The problem is that somebody must dig out that art, and it isn't called liburnian :(

Now for the line, we currently have
    1. Trireme & Fine trireme (according to the fact you have good timber or not), representing the Carthaginian initial supremacy in naval engineering and warfare.
    2. Quinquireme (mostly slow and not very effective in naval battle but good for besieging harbors)
    3. Dromons (well later on)

So I can add the liburnian between 2 and 3, if somebody can find adequate art!
    Concerning the evolution of the ships, I would just nuance that pirates remained the real rules of the Mediterranean most of the time (as the Roman had little interest in controlling the seas), until Rome eventually extended its domination over the whole coasts. By IIIBC, pirate ships from Southern Russia (goths) started operating again in Eastern Med.

Don't blame Onedreamer, it was my idea to call it this way ;) although I changed my mind later on. I had 2 praetorian units: the guard (immobile in Rome as you suggested) and the 'legion' (which could move, reflecting the elite troops following the emperor in his campaigns). There are several reasons behind the need to have that later unit in the game, which I will not describe here. Since that unit is to present up to the end of the game during the continuation of the Roman Empire in the East, I want to rename it. Constantin, after having disbanded the Praetorian, created a new group of troops called Imperial Guards (I have the Latin version of the name at home). Later on the Byzantine army also has a professional core of troops on which the army relied as shock troops (not the Cataphracts). That unit must so represent all three (mobile praetorian, Justinian's Guards, and Byzantine's something, I can't remember the name, but not the boydguards proper, I am speaking of unit manned by Romans).

One of the reason I want the player to upgrade his immobile Praetorian Guard into some effective offensive mobile unit is so as Rome is not made impregnable. One unit Cohortes Urbanae could be placed in Rome as the game start, if historically accurate, but no more improvement spawning immobile units in Rome :rolleyes:

Somebody find that liburnian/liburna's art!

10. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Today's Preview
    The REVISED (and final?) tech trees
    Suggestion for new titles, tech names are welcome!

ERA 1 - The Rise of the Republic
    I especially want to rename 'allegiance' into something else on that tree

Attached Files:

• Era1.png
      Era1.png
      File size:
      407.6 KB
      Views:
  11. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

ERA 2 - The Imperial Apogee
    The most extensively revised one

Attached Files:

• Era2.png
      Era2.png
      File size:
      377.5 KB
      Views:
  12. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

ERA 3 - The Fall of Rome

Attached Files:

• Era3.png
      Era3.png
      File size:
      374.3 KB
      Views:
  13. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

ERA 4 - The Byzantine Legacy

Attached Files:

• Era4.png
      Era4.png
      File size:
      361.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

You seem to be in need of tech icons(well, not for the number techs like Roman Decadence 1 etc), check out the Graphics board for Yoda's "Compiled tech icons thread"...it may take awile, but its worth it, lots of really great Roman type techs...

15. jobiwan7

jobiwan7 Jedi Scholar

Do you mean the Phoenician Bireme?

or any of Aaglo's ships?

16. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

@SoG - I am getting bored on the pedia in each of the break I can manage. Icons, if needed, will be for later ;) Actually, I am not sure what pic I could choose for tech like 'Thing Dynasty' and so on.)
    @Jobiwan - I checked Aaglo's library again, but I really already have all his relevant units in the mod (except that huge siege catamaran). So my guess is the liburnian ain't there. BTW, is there any real quinquireme art around (except the catamaran twins)?
    EDIT - attached a pic of what the liburnian should look like, although I guess the sails & mast are down for combat.

Attached Files:

17. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

What was the Thing Dynasty? Which country did they rule? Maybe I can help you pick something out?

18. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Improvements in need of latin names
    - Palace
    - Triumphal Arc
    - Granary
    - Temple
    - Marketplace
    - Library
    - Walls
    - Aqueduct
    - (Trade) Warehouse
    - School
    - Theater
    - Therme
    - Coastal Fort
    - Harbor
    - City Guard
    - Wealth
    - Pyramids
    - Hanging Gardens
    - Great Library
    - Oracle
    - Great Limes
    - Holy Scriptures
    - Archimedes' Workshop
    - Parthenon
    - Hadrian's Wall
    - Aristotle's Academy
    - Port of Carthago
    - Artisan Workshop
    - Forum
    - Animist Cult Site
    - Temple of Zeus
    - Amphitheater
    - Trade Port
    - Virgil's Books
    - Slave Market
    - Pan-Isthmic Games
    - Stonehenge
    - Blacksmith/Smithy
    - Stockade
    - Sphinx
    - Persian Palace
    - Carnac
    - Temple of Solomon
    - Thing (tribal council)
    - Lighthouse (not the Pharos, a normal one)
    - Oriental Trade Road
    - Pantheon
    - Shrine
    - Christian Persecutions
    - Church
    - Shipyard
    - Antonine Constitution (see Caracalla)
    - Pirate's Den
    - Forge (need blacksmith)
    - Timber Camp
    - Academy
    - Water Mill
    - Lime Fort (part of of a lime)
    - Stone Keep
    - Diocese
    - Mausoleum of Mausollos
    - Tomb of Cyrus
    - Ishtar Gate
    - Port of Tyrus
    - Agrarian Law
    - Citizenship
    - Crucifixion & Jewish Unrests
    - Diocletian's Reform
    - Temple of Artemis
    - Ovid's Work
    - Capitol (the temple)
    - Reform of Roman Laws (under Justinian)
    - Elephant Kraal (training camp)
    - Sacred Forest (German forests)
    - Numid's War Camp
    - Barcas' Leadership
    - Attila's Leadership
    - Mithridates' Leadership
    - Scipio's Leadership
    - Caesar's Leadership
    - Antonines' Leadership
    - Senate
    - Great Invasions (German)
    - War Camp (German)
    - Samnite Resistance
    - Soldier-emperors' Works
    - Aurelian Walls
    - Crisis of the Third Century (like some other, I am not too sure Latin can do for all ;))
    - Port of Ostia
    - Bazaar (persia)
    - Year of the Four Emperors
    - Edict of Milan (Constantin)
    - Justinian's Leadership
    - Den of Spies
    - Balearic Slingers' Camp

Sorry, even having already removed some, it is still a long list :mischief:

19. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

It would be great! :) 'Thing' was standing for the many dynasty reflected in my 'tech'. Look at the 4 pics and let me know if you have some good icons for the advances. It is true to having nice art could make the tree looking much better than just a collection of icons showing columns and curved swords...

20. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon