1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall Screenshot discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Cerilis, Nov 28, 2017.

1. earlc

earlc Chieftain

You're right, that must have been the dementia speaking. I was probably thinking of the mosque of cordoba, which is an early example of a public space being planted with trees. I swore I recognized the little off-axis building to the right, though.

2. Captain Fargle

Captain Fargle Chieftain

It's got to be Husuni Kubwi. Half palace, half mosque and with it's own special dock that's part of the structure. The reason we can't immediately recognise it is because there's no surviving images of the intact structure and Firaxis is taking artistic license with how it looked.

3. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Yeah, I also think right now it's a likely contender of the "we don't know how it looked like anymore" category.

4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Among Kilwa's exports were spices, tortoise shell, coconut oil, ivory, and
    aromatic gums, as well as gold and slaves.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilwa_Kisiwani

Could the new groups of trees be coconut plantations to produce oil to fry up a
    bit of turtle? (I know the wiki page says "tortoise", but turtles are found on
    Fanjove Island, in Tanzania).

And aromatic gums? Could that be the amber-like substance in the screenshots.

Or I might be completely wrong and I'll have to apologize to my entire family
    for embarrassing them.

CPWimmer and TheMarshmallowBear like this.
  5. earlc

earlc Chieftain

That's juicy. I love the idea of something Swahili.

If it's not, I definitely agree with the artistic licence interpretation. I definitely think it's a wonder given how it's rendered and situated on the tile. I just went on a research rampage of courtyard gardens and alcazars, and found nothing outside of Andalusia that looked remotely similar, and of course nothing in Andalusia with remotely the same architecture. And the teal color fits the bill of making a recognizable and visually pleasing tile more than any existing trade factories or forts or feitorias that I could find.

I like your line of thinking, that tortoise connection is stellar. But as for the palms in the screen shots: coconut palms are really a coastal plant, whereas the medjool dates that I believe them to be are desert plants (and have the silvery-bluish foliage), which fits their placement in the screenshots better. I think aromatic gums would fall within the definition of incense (even though frankincense does happen to look like the resource I thought was confirmed as amber). Welp, time to commit seppuku........

6. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Here's a link to a reconstruction drawing of Husuni Kubwa palace. It doesn't really resemble the "Feitoria" in the screenshot.

There's no circular pool in the Feitoria. The reconstruction lacks Citrus trees.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  7. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Myrrh?
    (Incidentally, that word is perfect if you play "Hangman" with kids
    at Christmas. They love being trounced by old people at games.)

comatosedragon likes this.
  8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Very interesting! I'm inclined to agree.

9. Yubnub

Yubnub Chieftain

Going to go out on a limb here and say it looks like the Sousse Ribat (picture is a model). Crenelations, dome, and watchtower. That being said, I don't think its the Sousse Ribat, too many inconsistencies, but perhaps a unique improvement to represent these types of fortifications which littered the North African coast. Civs that could be attached to such a UI could include the Berbers (Dihya/Kahina as a possible leader) or the Ottomans (the Barbary Corsairs ability in Civ 5). Their coastal requirement emphasizes their placement and importance as a coastal fortification. The oranges are perhaps a reference to Tunisian oranges, the source of the inspiration, or perhaps the importance of citrus in the prevention of scurvy (a tie to the Barbary corsairs), as well as a need for these forts to be somewhat self-sufficient. The rest I chalk up to artistic freedom to make the UI pop against a possible desert requirement (coast and desert, yeesh).
    Edit: oops picture was huge.
    Sousse Ribat.jpg

Tesludo and Guandao like this.
  10. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Something in Tangiers?
    Tangerines, not oranges?
    Gum Arabic, not amber?
    Edit: Maybe not. Gum arabic wouldn't be near pines, as shown
    in the screen shot.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

That's the closest looking barbican I have seen yet.

I have also seen similar architecture in Portuguese forts in Morocco.

12. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

It's hardly an exact match, but the closest I've been able to find so far from Googling is this Portuguese fort in Azemmour, Morocco, which to me looks a bit like the smaller structure on the upper right of our mystery building. Apologies if it's been posted before and I forgot about it.

My guess is still that it's a Feitoria, just not with a design directly copied from any specific one but instead inspired by several forts (plus some artistic license).

Guandao likes this.
  13. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

My sister lives in Marrakesh and runs tours for arty types there.
    It certainly looks like a few of the forts in and around the coast, but I've
    seen nothing that matches the colour, crenellations, and the three porticos at
    the front.

14. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

So are we establishing this as a Wonder or a Unique Improvement?

The scale reminds me of a Wonder, rather than a UI, which doesn't add probability of Portugal being a civ, merely represented as a wonder.

CPWimmer and Zaarin like this.
  15. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Moroccan structures usually don't have large domes, neither the ones built be foreigners nor the ones built by 'more native groups'.

16. Lord Xavius

Here's some kind of turquoise dome thingy on a building in Asilah, Morocco.

...Yeah, it's not much. I hope someone finds anything that's a better match for some part of the mystery building than what I've managed to. Been looking for something resembling that triple gateway, but no success.

17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Watch the dome end up being removed in the First look to make it look more Portuguese. Would have been easier to guess if they showed us a windmill surrounded by colorful tulips and a dike.

Guandao likes this.
  18. gorlod

gorlod Chieftain

Look at boats bottom left on that screenshot. Are those squid?

19. Lord Xavius

A couple of hours ago I remained fairly convinced it's a feitoria. Well, now my fickle mind has changed again and I'm favoring the Timurid/Uzbek theory, with the improvement possibly being a caravanserai. Compare this photo of Khiva's Itchan Kala (old town):

Again, not an exact match, but I feel it's closer than any pic that's been posted of Portuguese forts.

EDIT: Yes, Uzbekistan is landlocked, doubly so. This relies on the coastal placement being a red herring.

EDIT THE SECOND: If Google is correct the triple-arch gateway look is actually fairly common in caravanserais, if not using that exact look. E.g. Ribat-i Sharaf:

luigilime, Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  20. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I think we have reached the "It's Tamar of Georgia"-phase. :D

Atlas627, bite, Guandao and 2 others like this.