- May 5, 2005
RARR (=Rise And Rule Revisited)) is a mod-mod of the great epic mods Rise And Rule (=RAR), and Double Your Pleasure (=DYP) , updating and adding many graphics and enabling some concepts of the RAR 1.04 Betatest mod. RARR needs the expansion pack Civ 3 Conquests (that is also included in Civ 3 Complete).
So all credit is going to the original creators of the mods
- Rise And Rule (=RAR): Kal-El, Isak, Doc Tsiolkovski and harrier and
- Double your Pleasure (=DYP): Kal-El, Isak, harrier, RobO and PDEscobar.
In the meantime, during the existence of RARR, some highly appreciated statements about RARR were posted by original creators of DYP and RAR. You can find them here:
Doc Tsiolkovski : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-12#post-14015224 and https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-12#post-14023615
Thank you all very much for your kind words (and even two blessings ) about RARR. This is the reason, why the new version 1.7 of RARR makes the step from only being a graphical update of DYP and RAR to a mod, that is carefully adding new concepts and some changes to the great epic mods DYP and RAR, while always having the focus on preserving the character of these old masterly mods.
RARR 1.7 also tries to fix all the reported errors of former versions of RARR. Here I say a big thank you very much to Madviking, Node60, Samez, keli, Fortis1, Uaargh!?, jlvfr, Kestrel18, Lord Plebian, TechieTubbies, Mr. Constantin, ynot56, rudy2, Tigris of Gaul, Belofon, Izengrimm, Takeo and Atlasian for reporting these errors all over the years
I hope RARR 1.7 will also receive reports of errors and suggestions for improving this mod from civers all over the world .
You can see a list of all fixes and changes in RARR 1.7 here.
The techtrees of RARR 1.7. can be seen here.
Another big thank you very much goes to all the great Civ 3 unit makers, among them Wyrmshadow, Delta_Strife, Sandris, AnthonyBoscia and imperator1961, who did many of the units used in RARR and CCM. You are the one, who are keeping the interest in Civ 3 still alive with all your great work.
The 180x180 worldmap is based on a work of Kal-El, the lead designer of DYP and RAR many years ago, and was adapted by me to RARR 1.7 with the great help of the Quintillus editor. Here I also want to say a big thank you very much to timerover51 for his advice about locations for placing the hardwood resources to enable the building of special wooden ships.
1. You need the expanded mainfiles of CCM2.50 be installed in your C3C mainfolder. For the installation of the expanded mainfiles, please have a look here, starting with 'How to install CCM2' in bold letters. An additional explanation can be found here.
You can download the CCM2.50 files here.
If you have installed the expanded C3C mainfiles with a version of CCM2 older than CCM2.50, this installation must be updated to version 2.50 as this version contains many of the DYP, RAR and RARR units.
2. The old RARR folder in your C3C scenarios folder ccoming with RARR 1.6 and the old RARR biqs are no longer needed. Please delete or rename them, so they can no longer disturb the search of the new 1.7 biqs for the new RARR folder.
3. Unzip the new (very small) RARR folder and the RARR 1.7 biqs (standard, extended and worldmap) into the C3C scenarios folder and here place the RARR 1.7 biqs outside the RARR folder. The zip files are attached at the bottom of this post.
Please remember, that the thousands of units of RARR 1.7 are coming from the expanded C3C mainfiles. Without the installation of the expanded C3C mainfiles, RARR 1.7 will not work.
4. If you use the Steam version of Civ III Complete, you must additionally delete the labels file in the text-folder and rename the file labels-Steam CivComplete Patch to labels, otherwise the bugged Steam version will play havoc with your C3C text.
The RARR 1.7 biqs and the RARR files themselves are now updated to fix all the errors that were reported while playing the first version of those files. The folder for the RARR scenario itself is so small, that no additional patch is needed. Simply let the new RARR.zip overwrite the old RARR files that came with the RARR 1.7 installation in the C3C scenarios folder and add the new RARR 1.7 biqs to your C3C scenarios folder.
Biqs reloaded 16th May 2020. The civers who downloaded the biqs at 15th May 2020 are humbly requested to reload the new biqs, as there are some (minor) changes in the new biqs. The Earth map biq was taken down on 1st July 2020 due to some problems with the Celts. A new worldmap that hopefully will fix that problem is in the tests.