Rise of Empires - A Community Expansion Pack!

How much do you agree with what's in the proposition?

• I fully agree!

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • I mostly agree!

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • Meh.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I don't really agree with much.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • None of this is really for me.

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Just a quick query, when I write the Strategy text for the UUs and UBs, should I just unhelpfully restate the info that the Help text conveys like Firaxis does, or actually write a hint for the unit/building's best strategic use?

Just a quick query, when I write the Strategy text for the UUs and UBs, should I just unhelpfully restate the info that the Help text conveys like Firaxis does, or actually write a hint for the unit/building's best strategic use?

I typically do it the second way; the choice is up to you, though.

I just want to say that I'm willing to help this out in any way that I can. If you want to use any of my Civs, or my SEAL Team unit, or any of the World Wonders I'm starting to churn out (first the World Trade Center, then the Alamo, then the world!), feel free to. Additionally, if you would like me to actually make any wonders on request, let me know.

I've got a request at the moment, actually - the Golden Gate Bridge! I'm not sure what is should do, but it would be cool to have around in the expansion. I'll leave what it does up to you. Thanks for the offer of help!

WOW! Loved the ideas you appointed in your first post. But what about Economic Blocs? It would be like a trade in the diplo screen, but when you sign a Economic Block with another player, both gain more gold, religious pressure and tourism from trade routes with the other civs that sign it too.

There could be also different integration levels between those in the Blocks.

And why not add InfoAddict and CivIV diplomatic options? Those are very good mods (despite the second one never works with me).

Anyway, excellent project. Hope I can see it growing and help into it too.

Thanks! I have some feedback on your ideas. Economic Blocks, in my honest opinion, are covered well enough by Ideologies and Declaration of Friendship. While there are some exceptions to this in real life, I still think it's covered well enough, though trade between nations is an interesting concept to play around with. I'd say that if we were to add Economic Blocks, it would be heavily tied to ideologies, and perhaps another diplomatic agreement for players of different ideologies. (I was thinking that perhaps Argentina could get the same bonuses for trade regardless of ideologies or Declarationf of Friendship, as it kinda makes sense.) I'd consider adding InfoAddict, but Civ IV Diplomatic Options is almost certainly a must-have, but we'd need to integrate it with the stuff in the expansion, as I don't really want this to be purely a bundle of mods, more something that looks like an expansion, with everything being synergetic.

Also, mad idea - perhaps a trade bonus to civs that are at war, perhaps for all civs? Meant to represent Arms Trade, and could possibly be given to Argentina or (making more sense here), the USA. So, you get more gold, they get more production towards units.

I typically do it the second way; the choice is up to you, though.
I prefer the second way. And that means I'm done with the Piazza and Alpini text:
Spoiler :
ALPINI
Description: Alpini

Help: Italian replacement for Great War Infantry. May pass over Mountains, and has a Combat Bonus on Mountain and Hill tiles.

Strategy: Seperated from your enemy by a stretch of mountains? Make your assault consist mostly of Alpini, as their greatest advantage is their ability to cross mountains. Use Alpini especially to attack cities adjacent to at least one mountain, where the Alpini gain a combat bonus and cannot be touched by enemy infantry. Their bonus on hills is useful as well.

Pedia: While the Alpini elite mountain-based military corps have existed as part of the Italian armed forces since nealy the creation of a unified Italy, they are probably best remembered for their deployment on the Italian Front in World War I. Upon entering the war on the side of the Allied Powers, Italy found itself threatened by invasion from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Their shared border ran mostly through the Alps, so of necessity Italy deployed a number of mountain warfare-specialized divisions along the defensive line. Like much of the European Theater in World War I, the Alpini found themselves in deadlock trench warfare - though at high altitudes and with bitter cold, for which the Alpini referred to the current state of the warfare as the "War in Snow and Ice". Alpini divisions were mobilized again in World War II and still exist today.

---

PIAZZA
Description: Piazza

Help: Italian replacement for Market. +3 [ICON_CULTURE] Culture, as well as an additional Great Work of Art slot, which when filled, produces +2 [ICON_GOLD] Gold.

Strategy: The Piazza is a must-have building for each and every Italian city. Its [ICON_GOLD] Gold output is unparalled, and its cultural output considerable. If you cannot gain a theming bonus from your Great Works of Art, your next priority should be to place them in Piazzas.

Pedia: Piazza is the Italian word for "square", though it more commonly refers to a town square in Italy in regions heavily affected by Italian culture. They function as communal meetingplaces, stimulating a regular exchange of ideas, as well as a optimal place to trade - piazzas generally function as town parketplaces and are usually surrounded by small shops. Many of a city's most prestigious monuments may be built next to or near the town piazza, where they can be viewed by the greatest number of citizens.

Or should I just wait until I get all the pedia stuff done and then attach an XML file?
And also, do you have any Italian text done yet? City names? Spy names?

Religious and Economic Victories - No idea how to do it or if it's going to happen, but this would be awesome.

I'd be interested in trying my hand at this, if no one else is working on it. First, of course, we'd have to decide upon what exactly should be the prerequisites for such victories. Religious victory could be a simple situation of getting your religion to x% of cities (perhaps 80% of cities, including all other holy cities). I don't have any ideas on what an economic victory would look like.

Well, to have an Economic voctory, I feel you need to reintroduce Corporations and have them spread similar to Religion.

I like your idea of a Religious Victory, but I fear that that feat might be way too easy.

Our expansion has some crazy ideas for new Science Victories, you guys are welcome to poach ideas from it (basically we will alter the original one and and two more).

Civilization Revolution for the PS3 had a Economic Victory where you just had to have a certain amount of gold. It was stupid.

Lol. Anyway, if we do get round to implementing an Economic Victory, then it will be nothing like that.

Well, to have an Economic victory, I feel you need to reintroduce Corporations and have them spread similar to Religion.

I like your idea of a Religious Victory, but I fear that that feat might be way too easy.

Our expansion has some crazy ideas for new Science Victories, you guys are welcome to poach ideas from it (basically we will alter the original one and and two more).

Reintroducing Corporations isn't something I'm overly keen to do, as I want more original ideas! I think that it would be far better to make it trade-focused, with an insane idea (I think partially borrowed from Civ IV, but I haven't played that enough to say) to help. Perhaps Cargo Space on Trade Units? So, to trade resources, you'd have to put it on a trade unit to actually do so. Unknown if possible, but would make trade faaaar more interactive.

As for Religious Victory, I'm not too sure how to do it without the obvious "convert most people/everyone to your religion". I was thinking something to do with Pilgrimages, but that's as far as I've got.

And Expanded Science Victory - something I've considered for a while. If there's a lot of interest in doing one, then I would happily attempt to implement it, but I have no good ideas at the moment (and I don't really want to rip off you - hey, that's what different expansions are for!).

I'd be interested in trying my hand at this, if no one else is working on it. First, of course, we'd have to decide upon what exactly should be the prerequisites for such victories. Religious victory could be a simple situation of getting your religion to x% of cities (perhaps 80% of cities, including all other holy cities). I don't have any ideas on what an economic victory would look like.

Thank you for your offer of help! While just the simple percentage solution is probably fairly effective, your mention of Holy Cities seems like a good idea. Perhaps have all Holy Cities (and Religious City States?) following your religion? I'm not really sure - I really want those victories in (as well as Diplomatic Victory being less about money), but I don't know how they should function at all.

I prefer the second way. And that means I'm done with the Piazza and Alpini text:
Spoiler :
ALPINI
Description: Alpini

Help: Italian replacement for Great War Infantry. May pass over Mountains, and has a Combat Bonus on Mountain and Hill tiles.

Strategy: Seperated from your enemy by a stretch of mountains? Make your assault consist mostly of Alpini, as their greatest advantage is their ability to cross mountains. Use Alpini especially to attack cities adjacent to at least one mountain, where the Alpini gain a combat bonus and cannot be touched by enemy infantry. Their bonus on hills is useful as well.

Pedia: While the Alpini elite mountain-based military corps have existed as part of the Italian armed forces since nealy the creation of a unified Italy, they are probably best remembered for their deployment on the Italian Front in World War I. Upon entering the war on the side of the Allied Powers, Italy found itself threatened by invasion from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Their shared border ran mostly through the Alps, so of necessity Italy deployed a number of mountain warfare-specialized divisions along the defensive line. Like much of the European Theater in World War I, the Alpini found themselves in deadlock trench warfare - though at high altitudes and with bitter cold, for which the Alpini referred to the current state of the warfare as the "War in Snow and Ice". Alpini divisions were mobilized again in World War II and still exist today.

---

PIAZZA
Description: Piazza

Help: Italian replacement for Market. +3 [ICON_CULTURE] Culture, as well as an additional Great Work of Art slot, which when filled, produces +2 [ICON_GOLD] Gold.

Strategy: The Piazza is a must-have building for each and every Italian city. Its [ICON_GOLD] Gold output is unparalled, and its cultural output considerable. If you cannot gain a theming bonus from your Great Works of Art, your next priority should be to place them in Piazzas.

Pedia: Piazza is the Italian word for "square", though it more commonly refers to a town square in Italy in regions heavily affected by Italian culture. They function as communal meetingplaces, stimulating a regular exchange of ideas, as well as a optimal place to trade - piazzas generally function as town parketplaces and are usually surrounded by small shops. Many of a city's most prestigious monuments may be built next to or near the town piazza, where they can be viewed by the greatest number of citizens.

Or should I just wait until I get all the pedia stuff done and then attach an XML file?
And also, do you have any Italian text done yet? City names? Spy names?

Looks good! If you can get it into XML format, that would be fantastic! I think that the City List is done, but I don't think we have spy names yet.

As for Religious Victory, I'm not too sure how to do it without the obvious "convert most people/everyone to your religion". I was thinking something to do with Pilgrimages, but that's as far as I've got.

A religious victory is something that will be included and accommodated by SovRev, so one day it'll be there if ever you decide you'd like it, by itself, in your expansion.

I think one of the Religious Victory requirements should be the passing of your religion as the World Religion in the World Congress. That won't be the ONLY requirement, obviously, but it'll at least set the stage for the victory process, and will prevent someone from rushing it straight out of the gate with missionary spam.

I like what I'm seeing so far, and I don't want to single out only the things I do not like, nor offend the civ-designers, but I find some of the uniques incredibly bland and uninteresting(looking at you Chocolaterie and Raffia Mill).
Unique resources that noone else can have isn't fun or encouraging new playstyles or anything really.

Again, really appreciate the work people are doing here!

About the Economic VC, I don't know if it's really necessary. The Diplo VC is already a kind of economic rush for CSs.

For the Religious VC, what about wiping out all religions from its Holy Cities? Like a Domination VC.

And, I'd suggest adding Monomotapa Kingdom and Phoenincia as civs. CiV needs more variety, there are many european civs and few of other continents' which made great part of history. If there's no more room for civs, exchange for Belgium (or Italy, or Venice, I really don't like the idea of these civs).

For one more feature, what about More Luxuries and a way to trade Bonus Resources (and put in Rice and Corn), and More Great People (Krazjen).

Edit: Viregel, if you need someone to write some Civilopedia files, count with me! But not with coding. I am for codes what Poland is to space.

A religious victory is something that will be included and accommodated by SovRev, so one day it'll be there if ever you decide you'd like it, by itself, in your expansion.

I would be delighted to accept - thank you! :D

I think one of the Religious Victory requirements should be the passing of your religion as the World Religion in the World Congress. That won't be the ONLY requirement, obviously, but it'll at least set the stage for the victory process, and will prevent someone from rushing it straight out of the gate with missionary spam.

I'd agree with this. A full list of requirements for Economic/Religious victory is needed before we can do anything, though.

I like what I'm seeing so far, and I don't want to single out only the things I do not like, nor offend the civ-designers, but I find some of the uniques incredibly bland and uninteresting(looking at you Chocolaterie and Raffia Mill).
Unique resources that noone else can have isn't fun or encouraging new playstyles or anything really.

Again, really appreciate the work people are doing here!

Feel free to suggest different stuff then! Suggestions are always welcome. However, unique resources do encourage a trading strategy.

About the Economic VC, I don't know if it's really necessary. The Diplo VC is already a kind of economic rush for CSs.

For the Religious VC, what about wiping out all religions from its Holy Cities? Like a Domination VC.

And, I'd suggest adding Monomotapa Kingdom and Phoenincia as civs. CiV needs more variety, there are many european civs and few of other continents' which made great part of history. If there's no more room for civs, exchange for Belgium (or Italy, or Venice, I really don't like the idea of these civs).

For one more feature, what about More Luxuries and a way to trade Bonus Resources (and put in Rice and Corn), and More Great People (Krazjen).

Edit: Viregel, if you need someone to write some Civilopedia files, count with me! But not with coding. I am for codes what Poland is to space.

For Economic Victory, I'm thinking about making this more valid by making alliances with City States less about just giving them money, and more about actual diplomacy, like helping them out and stuff like that. I also like that requirement for a Religious Victory, and I think that it should definitely be in.

In terms of civs, I had never heard of Monomontapa before today, though I would be interested in making the civ myself at some point. Phoenicia has a problem thematically - given the theme is the First World War, I believe it to be a bad move to add a civ that is several millennia out. I've considered dropping a few civs here, including Israel and Hungary, but I believe the choice is strong enough already. Also, on Italy and Belgium - why don't you like them, just out of interest? The fact that they are modern civs is a large part of the reason they're here, and also because they participated in many of the things touched on here.

More Resources is a thing that would certainly be viable as well.

Also, I would be delighted to accept your offer of Civilopedias! I will get back to you on them as soon as possible.

Colonialism is one of the new mechanics of the expansion, and since Italy and Belgium are the only colonial powers left to do I believe that they are necessary.

Italy a Colonial Power is perhaps stretching it, but yes. They did both colonise to a reasonable extent, thus are worthy of being put in this expansion based on systems and scenarios.

My lack of interest in these both civs is that they are part of a region of the world (western Europe), which, for me, hás already much representation. My opinion on civs choice in Civ is variety as this is a "non-historical" game as Crusader Kings, Total War or Europa Universalis.

About the colonialism, Portugal and Spain were the first colonianist superpowers, and Phoenincia was a colonial civ. Of course not the colonies we are used to see, but a kind of. I was thinking in a UA that made colonies generate more gold and boats suffer less Atritton when saling on coast.

I didn't see the theme was WWI, sorry. :p

If we intend to change the approach to CSs, the base could be CSD (City-States Diplomacy) mod.

Assuming Viregel sticks to my system, ships do not receive attrition in coastal waters - only deep ocean. And Spain receives a new UA that "religifies" their colonies better, and the Conquistador is slightly changed. I feel Portugal is implicitly benefited through the new systems, so wouldn't advocate their change (beyond that the Nau is immune to scurvy) - of course, this is without knowledge of what Viregel might inevitably adapt for himself from my system.

Other civs changed under my system include America, the Netherlands and Polynesia.

I think CSD is too large a project to be included, honestly.

I really don't know about what can or cannot be included because I am not a modder, so there may be times I suggest really unviable things, but I was thinking about using CSD as a base, not the mod as a whole.

And I think, we must not forget to remate the Pikeman upgrade line. Really, this is awful.

Take out Youth Fountain and El Dorado is the best ideia. Amazon Rainforest? Mt. Everest? Matterhorn?

Do you guys think there should be Atrriton on Coast? I think there should be small, be existing. JFD, Viregel, can you tell me the values for it and the changes in the civs?

Edit: Salto Ángel and Aconcágua may be two Natural Wonders too.

Take out Youth Fountain and El Dorado is the best ideia. Amazon Rainforest? Mt. Everest? Matterhorn?

Do you guys think there should be Atrriton on Coast? I think there should be small, be existing. JFD, Viregel, can you tell me the values for it and the changes in the civs?

Edit: Salto Ángel and Aconcágua may be two Natural Wonders too.

Very well.

Scurvy is one of four attrition types in my upcoming Exploration Continued Expanded mod, which Viregel intends to use (at least in part) as a component to this expansion.

Scurvy has a chance to affect any naval unit (including embarked units) when they end their turn in neutral or enemy Ocean; the damage is era dependent, but obsoletes in the Modern Era. The Portuguese Nau, the Spanish Conquistador, the Danish Longboat (from my Norway mod) and Great Admirals, Cargo Ships and Workboats all receive a natural immunity to Scurvy. You may also gain immunity to scurvy by building Citrus Traders; which grant the "Immunity to Scurvy" promotion to newly trained units.

At this point, I do not believe coastal attrition is necessary. A coast should be the saving grace that it has been historically, in my opinion. This may change when a wider range of people play-test the system, of course.

I can't speak much on the nature of adding new Natural Wonders; but it's not something that I'm aware of having been attempted, so I imagine it's either impossible or quite a task. It would definitely be cool though.

Top Bottom