1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.8 torrents

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 23, 2009.

1. winthrowe

winthrowe Warlord

SuperSeeding would be nice, but not as huge a gain here as everyone thinks. Superseeding is most effective when you have a huge number of clients and a very large upload bandwidth on the only initial seed, which is not the situation here. In our case, we have a smallish upload bandwidth on the initial seed and a modest number of clients with comparable or better upload speeds of their own, the default seeding algorithm doesn't do that badly.

the biggest thing that would have made it go faster is to seed just rom lite first, then when there are seeds for that, seed the full. but zap has done a lot of work to give us this, so if he says he wants to go to bed, I'm plenty pleased with this.

Thanks again Zap!

2. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

well I'm stopping my download for now, gunna wait til tomorrow to finish.

3. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Well, of course it'll be slow. Right now there's only 1 seed. Once a couple of people finish and hopefully seed, download speeds will increase. May take a while, but as long as there are willing seeders, it'll be much faster later.

4. Grunthex

Grunthex Prince

Is it sad that I think the coolest part of this is staring at the Seeds tab on my client, and seeing where the RoM players live?

Lots of americans, couple of us Canadians (Hi guys!), Germany, Japan, Poland, Australia (or maybe New Zealand, I still never remember which flag is which), Finland, Sweden!

We're all over!

Oh, and to that guy at UMich, who's sent me over 1/5th of everything I've received so far, I owe you a beer!

5. Fliptop_23

Fliptop_23 Chieftain

we should start a fun so that zap can get some proper webspace to host RoM on, I would willing donate via paypal or something for that purpose. I spend more time playing RoM than I spend doing anything else (probably more than everything else combined)

or failing that he could always upload it to somewhere like gmail and then email it to the main modders to put in their torrent folders to boost seeders

6. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Lol.

For those who care, I'm IP: 141.209.191.175

7. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Lol yeah, we are brothers in spirit, I also looked at the stats... a secound seeder was found in the full btw!

And after all, waiting and discussing here, haven't we won something priceless? A feeling of unity, committing ourselves to a group-effort is a positive experience and when the next release comes there will be structures and its gonna be professionalized - learning by doing.

By the way: undergoing this process we reflect how determined we are - but also what we have to commit, even what we want to commit: it's the expression of paying a fair price to a good friend.
    Either cheating on him or getting ripped off doesn't feel right, paying a fair price does.

Edit: atm I see 100 peers downloading the full - after 5 hours or so. Thats fantastic, I would have thought of half that number. Lets see what it says when its annouced on Piratebay and Mininova and maybe properly advertised in game magazines (letters to the editor...) etc - any suggestions?

8. Afforess

Yeah, I'm at a solid 20kb/s on the full now. :)

EDIT:
    Back down to a trickle again... :(

9. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I am at 50kb/s.

10. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I kinda meditate on the peaks of my utorrent-graphic, wondering how they correlate. You can really get lost in there, swishing up and down like a stoning roll...

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

• rom.JPG
      rom.JPG
      File size:
      162.8 KB
      Views:
  11. salmoxe

salmoxe Chieftain

YEAH! Thanks Zap and everyone else involved. Also great idea, over 1 MB/s right now with torrent. Well maybe I spoke too soon on the speed, slowed way down but I dont care.

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

How do you tell/find out which one you are. I'm on Wild Blue a Satellite DSL. Live in Illinios.

I saw a comcast peer on there. I work for Comcast.

JosEPh :)

13. Afforess

You can't through Utorrent, it doesn't show your IP. Just visit myipaddress.com, and it will tell you.

14. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I'm using BitTorrent.

15. Supercheese

Supercheese Zeppelin Commander

Well, I regularly wait an entire day or several days to download a torrent, so I'm used to the waiting.

...but usually those days-long torrents are upwards of 5 gigabytes, rather than less than half a gig! :p

16. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I have downloaded 100 mbs so far.

17. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

The weird part is mine says 0 seeds this whole time yet I am still somehow downloading. I guess I am indirectly downloading from all the peers.

18. Supercheese

Supercheese Zeppelin Commander

You guess correctly.

Although I do not know why you can't connect to the seed directly... :dunno:

19. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

Well I'm taking a break from DLing while I play some L4D or something.
    I'll start it back up again later tonight/tomorrow morning.

I almost have that seed box ready (taking a break) and I'll run it once I have the file to seed. :)

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

60.6% of Lite

23.1% of Full

My 1st ever torrent D/L. An old dog can learn a new trick! :lol