Rise of Mankind 2.9 discussion

Did you also optimize the python code for those wonders? They're slowing down the turns and optimized a bit the wonders that I added to RoM.

did you make maps use cpickle? if not is it safe to do that, I just need to chang "import pickle" to "import cpickle" right?

Did you also optimize the python code for those wonders? They're slowing down the turns and optimized a bit the wonders that I added to RoM.

That is one of the things slowing the conversion down. However I can do all sorts of optimisation when I do them as individual python modules and let BUG "merge" them in.

One thing I have come up with is, I think, a faster way of doing the build crusader unit function.

did you make maps use cpickle? if not is it safe to do that, I just need to chang "import pickle" to "import cpickle" right?
I think I made the smartmap use cPickle and it has been working (saves config) so it should be safe to use it there too.

That is one of the things slowing the conversion down. However I can do all sorts of optimisation when I do them as individual python modules and let BUG "merge" them in.

One thing I have come up with is, I think, a faster way of doing the build crusader unit function.
Cool, every bit of optimization will help :)

I think I made the smartmap use cPickle and it has been working (saves config) so it should be safe to use it there too.

Cool, every bit of optimization will help :)

so they all can use it?

so they all can use it?

I didn't test it on other mapscripts (yet) but I added in the line with cPickle for PerfectWorld2. It didn't crash or anything. It just hummed along. Playing Standard size PerfectWorld2 with AND so I can't say if itis any faster, sorry :). It is to the credit of Afforess' brilliant speed optimizations that i can't test that anymore and I don't even want to :lol:.

I didn't test it on other mapscripts (yet) but I added in the line with cPickle for PerfectWorld2. It didn't crash or anything. It just hummed along. Playing Standard size PerfectWorld2 with AND so I can't say if itis any faster, sorry :). It is to the credit of Afforess' brilliant speed optimizations that i can't test that anymore and I don't even want to :lol:.
You don't need to add the line to any python file if the file isn't already using pickle - adding the line for cPickle is just extra load that isn't needed and in fact it would just slowdown the mod a tiny bit. But if the mapscript has line "import pickle" anywhere, it should be safe to replace it with line "import cPickle as pickle".

You don't need to add the line to any python file if the file isn't already using pickle - adding the line for cPickle is just extra load that isn't needed and in fact it would just slowdown the mod a tiny bit. But if the mapscript has line "import pickle" anywhere, it should be safe to replace it with line "import cPickle as pickle".

Thanks! Will remove that line for that that tiny slowdown risk then.

Yesterday I finally started making the next version by adding Antilogic's Events Pack to RoM - took couple hours to convert his new random events to RoM settings (need to test them still). RoM has now 304 random events compared to BtS' 197.

I also edited couple improvements so that AI players no longer replace towns with cottages - at least I hope my changes will help to this problem. Cottage - Town improvement line also no longer removes forest from the plot so forests might survive bit longer... ;)

A few observations from my games (no modmods):

The AI tens to clutter it`s lands with forts. They seem to have no special purpose, they just make the tile worthless and provide shelter for invading armies.

There are two symbols for hellenism (the face and the lightning) which are both used

If you compare the patrician and parliament civics, I find them very similar in which bonis they provide - except that patrician, allthough a much earlier civic is much better under allmost every possible circumstances.

The UU of korea, the Hwacha, is an alternatice to the catapult. Since it uses rockets, it makes more sense to me to use it as the alternative of the bombard.

maybe towns could hook up resources and get some defense boni? because I had a town and I found sulphur under it, and another town had oil under it :(
here is maybe an Idea
Cottage: 5% defense bonus, 25% of bonus's normal yields,
Hamlet: 10% defense Bonus, 50% of bonus's normal yields, -1 commerce on resource
Village: 15% defense Bonus, 75% of bonus's normal yields, -2 commerce on resource
Town: 20% defense Bonus, 100% of bonus's normal yields, -3 commerce on resource
you would round down so that they don't get that powerful, also they should lose 1 commerce per levels starting at Hamlet level (because you are rounding down cottages wouldn't get much benefit anyways)

food for thought

PS I got the build a bunch of Triremes quest, I had the GL so I got the bonus option, could the +2 commerce for harbor apply to ALL of the harbor type buildings? and the Combat I option for Triremes be change to Combat I for all Wooden Ships?

Yesterday I finally started making the next version by adding Antilogic's Events Pack to RoM - took couple hours to convert his new random events to RoM settings (need to test them still). RoM has now 304 random events compared to BtS' 197.

I also edited couple improvements so that AI players no longer replace towns with cottages - at least I hope my changes will help to this problem. Cottage - Town improvement line also no longer removes forest from the plot so forests might survive bit longer... ;)
Can't wait to play with the new events!:)

Very Welcome Changes, I was hoping you would add those events. Now I need to go get the Event Images for them. ;)

A few observations from my games (no modmods):

The AI tens to clutter it`s lands with forts. They seem to have no special purpose, they just make the tile worthless and provide shelter for invading armies.
I have started doing the same thing now that I can't chop forect until iron working. Especially on any resources outside my work range but also on tiles which have apples, olives, lemons and so on in my city work area because they provide the resource and provide better return in hammers and sometimes commerce than I can get from the plantation! At least until the modern era.

Zappara - I like the idea of adding some random events. Can you tell me if all of the events now available are working properly? I'd rather be able to use a few random events that all work than many of which a few don't work. If any of them don't work, I just turn them off anyway.

I'm waiting to see what will happen with RevDCM and MP this winter - should be exciting stuff! :)

I have started doing the same thing now that I can't chop forect until iron working. Especially on any resources outside my work range but also on tiles which have apples, olives, lemons and so on in my city work area because they provide the resource and provide better return in hammers and sometimes commerce than I can get from the plantation! At least until the modern era.
My way of thinking with fort is that it's a town with a castle ruling the nearby farmlands - which is why I've made fort+farm combination useful (civics support this choice too). Now I'm going to make some improvement tweaks for v2.9 and I'll make apples, olives improvements work without cutting down the forests (just need to check/add xml to PlotLSystem so that forest graphic don't overlap with the improvement graphic). cottage->town system already works this way. :)

Zappara - I like the idea of adding some random events. Can you tell me if all of the events now available are working properly? I'd rather be able to use a few random events that all work than many of which a few don't work. If any of them don't work, I just turn them off anyway.

I'm waiting to see what will happen with RevDCM and MP this winter - should be exciting stuff! :)
I think glider hasn't enabled again those problem events (8 of them) so I don't know what's the status with them. RoM has those events still on. If they do not work correctly yet (I got to verify that) I'm sure there will be fix for them in the next RevDCM dll (nothing wrong with the events, just the dll handles them incorrectly). I'm sure v2.9 will have working random events.

I wish I had time to make some random events again - there's so much potential on them as you can do all kinds of neat stuff with them.

Progress for RoM 2.9:

Still slow process but I went through all units and removed some unnecessary modifiers from whole bunch of units. Those modifiers were added before the unit strength overhaul and now because unit str gets much higher, those old modifiers weren't needed. For example 50% bonus against some old unit type was actually only adding 5% increase to winning odds. This cleaned up unit modifiers lists quite a bit and makes it easier to further tweak them.

Another changes that I've started are civic's balancing - so far Feudal, Caste, Barter, Bourgeois and few others have been slightly tweaked and I'll need to run some games with these new values to see how it goes (civic changes affect many improvements as well). I'm also monitoring health/happiness amounts on different eras to see if there's some need to make adjustments to them.

I'll probably include the new Ethnic citystyles 0.9 version to RoM 2.9 since it has quite a lot more new styles and more complete styles than the version which currently is in RoM. This is however a bigger change and I'll need to make new fpks (remove old content and add new) which means that there won't be simple v2.9 patch, only full mod release.

Still slow process but I went through all units and removed some unnecessary modifiers from whole bunch of units. Those modifiers were added before the unit strength overhaul and now because unit str gets much higher, those old modifiers weren't needed. For example 50% bonus against some old unit type was actually only adding 5% increase to winning odds. This cleaned up unit modifiers lists quite a bit and makes it easier to further tweak them.

I think you could cut down the fortify bonus, and some of the promotions as well. When you added more promotions, the +%s provided are much greater, and sometimes it creates situations where the 2 parts avoid to attack and the conflict is not resolved at all.

- Fortify 5-10-15-20-25 --> 2-4-6-8-10
- Strenght I, II and III --> +10% each --> +5% each
- And so on...

Progress for RoM 2.9:

Another changes that I've started are civic's balancing - so far Feudal, Caste, Barter, Bourgeois and few others have been slightly tweaked and I'll need to run some games with these new values to see how it goes (civic changes affect many improvements as well). I'm also monitoring health/happiness amounts on different eras to see if there's some need to make adjustments to them.

I'll probably include the new Ethnic citystyles 0.9 version to RoM 2.9 since it has quite a lot more new styles and more complete styles than the version which currently is in RoM. This is however a bigger change and I'll need to make new fpks (remove old content and add new) which means that there won't be simple v2.9 patch, only full mod release.

you are removing the immune to collateral from animals tag?

you are removing the immune to collateral from animals tag?
Probably, though I'm going to test if collateral works now with these units as their settings were before (there was an issue with collateral in previous RevDCM with certain xml settings) and then decide what kind of changes to make.

Hi there!!! :D

Enjoying a standard game right now :D All the new stuff has me overwhelmed! I just wanted to put forth the idea of these good looking alternate LH's for Dido, Menelik, Afonso, Basil, Richelieu, Mongkut, Charles V, Cleopatra and Cetshwayo.

Thanks for the mod again (how many times have I said that already?? Doesn't matter, cause a mod on this scale ... is an expansion lol :D)
Some of those LHs are already in the 2.8Mega version but I hadn't seen couple of those yet. They keep making too fast those LHs as I can't keep up with them... :lol:

Top Bottom