1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Jonaleth

Jonaleth Chieftain

2. os79

os79 Deity

To get only LHs from the megaciv, all you have to do is unzip the Custom Leaderheads folder from the rar file to Rise of Mankind/Assets/Modules. Then bingo you have your new and latest LHs (at least for RoM). Then wait patiently for upates of these LHs :D.

Oh, and overwrite when asked for when you unzip that folder to Modules folder.

3. Snub

Snub Chieftain

Zap, do you still think you'll be able to finish an update before the new year?

4. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

No, I've only started making the update and it's long way until it's ready. Continue playing v2.8 for couple more months. Besides, it will take some time before glider gets RevDCM multiplayer fixed and I intend to merge his mod's next version to RoM 2.9 :)

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

so the dogs are getting collateral back? :yumyum:

6. Seashore

Seashore Chieftain

I think power should improve the efficiency of more buildings like hospitals.

7. djknuddel

djknuddel Chieftain

First of all I really enjoy your mod and it brought to me joyful hours and days and weeks and months of fun as there are so many new things to explore and conquer.

The only thing that is getting on my nerves is the flags. I don't really like the new flags (especially the new russian flag that is far more ugly than the original one). So my idea is to change a flag ingame. Don't ask me how to realize it, but its an idea. Or maybe you can realize that the flag is changing overtime, resulting in different flags in medieval and in future. Maybe you find it very odd but it sucks to look the whole game on a flag that is ugly.

8. fox456

fox456 Warlord

I wanted to offer up an idea that I haven't seen in any of the threads so far. Is it possible for leaderheads to change over time? I realize that many civs do not have more than a couple of leaders, but can the leaderheads switch at the beginning of new eras -- even if it only switches part way through the game? I realize that matching an era appropriately to a particular leader who was alive duirng that particular time period is unrealisitc, but so is one leader ruling the entire span of the game. At least the leaders could be arranged in chronological order....

How does this idea sound? Perhaps it will generate some other similar ideas for the game.

9. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

@fox456

Revolutions may already cause LH changes for civs.

10. Zorn

Zorn Prince

One thing that could be cleaned up in 2.9 are ressource providing buildings.
    Currently, most of those are national wonders (like the brewery, ect.)
    Glass and steel are provided by buildings that can be build in every city (steelmill give production bonus, but the glass building only unhealth, so you only want one, maybe two for trade purposes).
    The cement building is a national wonder of which you can build more than one.
    There might be further oddities, but so far I haven`t progressed further up the tech tree.

I think it would be good to treat all those building the same - as a national wonder is fine, since so those buildings don`t clutter the buildings selection window.

11. GONdorman

GONdorman ROCK´N ROLL PEOPLE!!!!

You, sir, have got it:hatsoff:

EDIT: And Zorn has some good points as well

12. Zorn

Zorn Prince

Another thing I mentioned are power plants.
    Coal and oil power plants seem to do exactly the same according to their wiki entries - provide power and 6 unhealth. However, the oil one comes later and costs twice as much.

Also, once you have buildt one kind of power plant, there is no reason ever to build a better, cleaner one because you cannot get rid of the unhealth of the elder one anyway.
    How about making clean power plants upgrades of elder ones (like the port line), e.g. so you can remove the unhealth of a coal power plant if you invest in bulding a water power plant in that city?

13. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

You can sell buildings in RoM, just hit ctrl+A in city screen. ;)

14. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

Hey guys I have not read much of this thread sorry, short on time but i made a post in the main RoM thread on some ideas of mine here they are. Sorry if they are already being discussed.

"Stealth destroyers cannot see subs?!?!?!?!?! This defeats the propose of destroyers.......

*Someone answered* "thats an odd change from vanilla bc they could see stealth ships in bts vanilla" - dcmort93

ya but I think that they can see invisible ships yes, but they cannot see subs, which is in its on category. The reason why I think this is because I had modern destroyer's and I upgraded them, I saw the sub beside them before I upgraded but not after so...

also I just finished my first game all the way through, form 6000 BC to 2122 AD, it was lots of fun but I noticed that after the industry era gold was in huge shortage. I guess I can kinda see why, but having to upgrade units every 10 turns because of techs it makes gold very scarce. Also the improvements cost alot, which I can understand but........ There is just very little places to get it form.

The modern destroyer i think needs to be moved back in the techs, me and the other superpower had modern destroyer's almost instantly, I did not even see regular destroyer's or early ones. Also Heavy cruisers seem to dominate the industry era, I found very little use of BS's, I never seem to see the cruisers either. I think the Bs's are really underpowered, all the way through to the modern age.

I also noticed that all navy units have no air defense?!?!?! There is some that have very little but still, you no in WWII carriers destroyers and battleships have AA. Carriers had by far the most while the destoryers and BS's followed. At least allow an upgrade that can bring up the interception or something. because basically if you did not have a carrier fleet with you you where going to die to air units. And if your fighters where out dated then you were really missed up. I guess the issue would be the strength values would be off and the ships would always kill the fighters? Maybe giving fighter units a slit bouns to attacking navy units so it can combat the strength values.

I like the tech tree but it seems like you can go for military techs to fast, it seemed like the AI was always way ahead of me with his military. Maybe connecting some of the military techs to some economic and growth techs might slow it down a bit.

Gunships seem to dominate the late industry era, I am not sure how to balance this either..... Once everyone got gunships that's all they built. Because they are stronger then infantry and oblivious can kill any tracked or wheeled units just makes them really strong. Maybe bring down strength more and add more anti armor bounses.

Why are all the industrial era bombers so much stronger then the fighters? I guess I can kinda see this, but ummm. And anti air units they seem kinda weak maybe giving them a bonus to bomber units to balance out the weaker fighters, which like I said I can kinda see. Late game anti air seemed great, but it still would be nice to have a capable non air unit alternative for industry era. And again if this is intentional then just ignore my rants.

I think that is all the stuff I noticed, I will post more if I remember it.

See ya all,
    Bob

P.S great mod, hehe alot of fun. So Do not take this post the wrong way. Going to start another game soon here.

hehe also is there anyway someone can tell me how to incorporate Flexible Difficulty form the assimilation mod. This is what it does and I think it would be great for me, it is so hard to get a challenging late era game. And I love the late era so...... I no nothing of moding, but I am guessing you just have to copy some text form one file to another but I am not even sure where to start.

"Flexible Difficulty: With this option selected the difficulty level is checked every 20 turns. If the players rank (by score) is int he top third then the difficulty is increased. If the players score is in the bottom third, then the game difficulty is decreased. This can cause the difficulty level to go anywhere between settler and deity. Single player only."

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=281289

Edit: Just a thought, in late game it is very expensive to run a standing military, love this idea. But maybe you can expand on it and allow like bunkers and command centers to reduce the maintenance cost. Just got a better idea, how bout making a promotion or not really a promotion but a skill to all units that cost gold to maintain.And this skill would reduce the strength of the unit by like 30% or 40% but it would make the unit not cost any gold besides what it already costs with civics. This would allow huge superpowers in the late game to maintain a huge military but still be able to research. but not make them overpowered. I think that would be really neat to have late game. And it would even allow little civs to maintain an big enough army to fend off other powers. I am not sure how the ai would handle this tho."

thanks guys,
    Bob

15. Zorn

Zorn Prince

Ohhhhh!

That is important to know, thanks!
    Btw, how are obsolete buildings handled anyway?
    Say, a monastery. You lose the +10% science, that`s sure. About culture, I am not sure anymore. The ability to train missionaries remains however.
    How about the unhealthiness of, let`s say a siege workshop once it is obsolete?
    And what about maintainance modifier?

16. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

When a building goes obsolete, all of its modifiers vanish, including bad ones.

17. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

Does it mean, that we can sell it without any harm? Just as an empty building?

18. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

You make a good point but I found that in a small game, having so many national wonders Means that you cannot build them all. SO increasing the national wonder limit would be a most.

19. JaeChunDaeSung

JaeChunDaeSung Prince

I now beeline to Currency whenever possible so I can immediately take an Ideology and step out of Barter, since my first few cities will already have built Caravan Posts.

20. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

@Bobisback

Thanks for your excellent feedback - based on it I've tweaked some of modern era techs (can't advance military techs so fast) and units for the next patch. Indeed Modern Destroyer was too early so I moved it to same tech as Modern Battleship. There's whole bunch of tweaks coming to industrial/modern era units in order to achieve better balance, for example SAM units are now set to engage first Helicopter units when attacking (that's their main role). Early Jets also got bonus vs. Bomber unit since there was a gap that I hadn't noticed, other fighters seemed to be ok since they all had 50% bonus vs. same era bomber units ie. in combat fighters' strength is higher than bomber units' strength (in BtS bombers have higher str than fighters). There should be always a counter unit for every unit type...