1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I really must disagree here. Maybe my strategies are vastly different, but usually, I can't aford all those -4 "You have a heathen religion" penalties. That alone makes Secularism pretty good. I generally jump for at the first chance, sometimes even building the Shwedagon Paya to get it. Usually, my empire gets too vast, and I need to get rid of the revolution penalty for non-state religions. I guess if you aren't playing with Revolutions, I would agree with you, but who does that now. ;)

2. Crusis

Crusis Warlord

Is there a chemical warfare missile in the game?

I was thinking about this while playing the other day (I rarely get out of the middle ages, either I get crushed or it's obvious I'm going to win) and thought that a SCUD type missile with limited range (say 10 hexes) and a chemical warhead that caused unhealthiness and say 1 population loss would be an awesome unit.

If something like that exists already, then please disregard this post and return to your regularly scheduled programming.

3. Afforess

I think ANM has such a missile.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Any plans to add more ethnic unit art? I know I sound like a broken record on this issue, I was just curious if all my archers are going to look like red-haired women with kilts in the next version :)

5. Afforess

Unit Art work is almost wholly based on if the designers in the Graphics forums want to make them or not. I already had a rant on this subject, elsewhere... ;)

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Interesting, I have been trying out revolutions again, on snail, I still prefer free church and I build Shwedagon Paya to get it to get it :)

7. winthrowe

winthrowe Warlord

would anyone else like to see +2xp to spies on the meeting hall?

8. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Yes, I would like to see (a) xp-giving building(s) for spies.

But I think the Meeting Hall is just fine. What about the Library? And/Or the Jail? Police Station and Scotland Yard could give free spy xp as well...

And spies trained in the capital should maybe get loyalty-promotion by default.

9. RobO

RobO King

I wonder why there are no more corporations in RoM. I can see that vincentz has made some, which is good, but using more than one modmod may cause problems. I was thinking that some of the resources in RoM could be utilized, and ythinking of real life, there are some obvious missing corporation types:
    • Automobiles (rubber, steel, aluminium, oil)
    • Oil/Energy consumption (oil, coal, ...)
    • Wall Mart style (vincents has one): Apples, Olives, Pigs, Cattle, Potatoes, Lemons
    • Newspapers (not sure what the resources would be)
    • Entertainment (hit movies, hit singles, ...)
    I don't have all the resources in RoM in my head, the above is just a list of ideas and it does not include effects.

10. Sinapus

Sinapus Defenestrated

You act as if that were a bad thing. ;)

11. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

1. There is nothing wrong with the red-haired women :)
    2. You can add more graphics, more animations, more buildings, singing birds, and whatever you like but after that everybody will go like "OH, why is RoM 3.5 so slow, I have to wait one minute between each turn, and this is only 1000 BC" :)

12. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

Scotland Yard should give spies +3xp, if I remember a Super Spies pedia entry correctly.

Anyways, my Modular Civics Buildings have two buildings which give spies XP, Checkpoint and Interrogation Building, however, they both cost Happiness and require running Fascist and Junta (late game) respectively.

13. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

By the time we'd have v3.5 the computer power would have doubled or tripled so the overal performance hit would +-0 :lol:

14. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

except RAM ability would stay in place because cIV only uses a single core and we see more computing power in the form of more cores, iMac octo-core :eek:

15. mussbu

mussbu Chieftain

In a future version, would it be possible that certain civics would force the player to have less control over a city’s production? What I’m thinking is that more centralized civics would give a player more control of what his cities can produce (but more bureaucracy). Less centralized civics would give him less control over what a city can produce (but less bureaucracy). Thus a civic with less centralization would have outlying cities that are still part of the civ but are on forced city manager that randomly (?) produces whatever it wants.

In reality this was typical. A weak king (or weak government) had less control of the outlying provences. Some provences would have more autonomy but in exchange for loyalty to the king.

16. Afforess

I think I've seen a mod somewhere that does this. Test of time or FFH2, I'm not sure, but it has a forced city manager... Let me go look. If a mod already has it, odds are I can add it. ;)

EDIT:

It was test of time I was thinking of, and it does this: On the Free Market civic, players can not change what tile their citizen is working. The city governor controls it.

17. mussbu

mussbu Chieftain

Afforess, do you think its possible to do something like this? If so, just think of the possibilities. Random events could be set up to temporarily take control of a city's production; or cities that revolt could lead to 'autonomous cities' still controlled by the civ but its production is run AI; or Holy Cities that force that city to build religious structures. Just some thoughts!

18. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Sounds semi-cool from a gameplay aspect, it's probably a design nightmare, but I could be wrong. If it is possible and is indeed implemented in the future, I think an on-off switch for the feature would also be a good idea.

19. Afforess

I love it when people answer questions for me. ;)

20. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Yeah I love the idea. There could be quests (I want a lot more quests btw^^), for example a certain quest could be that a rising religious leader orders every city above size 3 to have a church and monastry and all these cities immedeately switch/queue to build that (if they dont already have it)... the reward for the quest would be to make a certain religious civic more attractive, state church maybe, which is now too bad compared to free church.

State church could give increased stability points and +% for buildings if city has state religion upon completing the quest...

The event could be triggered if a civ has state church and 8 (depending on map size) cities with only the state religion in it...

Another quest - for intolerant civic - could be that you are enfored to produce inquisitors in your capital until all non-state religions in your empire are wiped out...^^

Afforess, btw do you know how to create new quests btw. or is that only something for RevDMC?