1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Quests are just a different type of random event. However, most quests use python to have their effects, and I'm not good at python...

I have had the idea of having specific events force a civic change on you...

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

In which case I would disable events :) I am dictator here!

3. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Lol. Since when have I ever forced a modmod on anyone?

4. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

Is the CAR mod included yet/Has anyone tried to apply it to RoM?

One of the other mods (sorry, I can't remember the name) has a feature where units can train in cities to the tune of 2xp per 6 turns with some limit. Could we get something like that? Maybe train up to either the xp a unit would have for being built in that city (for those early units that didn't see enough action) or the minimum for its current level (to recover xp loss due to upgrading).

5. Supercheese

Supercheese Zeppelin Commander

Yes, Afforess has it in his modmod-pack.

That would be Fall From Heaven (or maybe it was Fall Further; something related to FFH). So far, nobody has implemented it in RoM. Would be cool, though.

6. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

Don't you think that there should be an "no future era" option. I mean that the development (techs, buildings and units) will be halted at a level we know? So far I never played any game so long but when I read pedia entries about future techs, units and buildings it makes me think that I don't want to cross certain line.

Or maybe, there should be a long break before we could enter a future era (50, 100 turns after researching last known by us now technology)??

Just considering.....

7. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Some optimization code from CAR is included in Better BtS AI 0.81 which is merged to RoM so yes, RoM does have (best) parts from the CAR mod. Jdog5000 said he didn't want to include CAR fully to Better BtS AI (he's one of most talented SDK coders here so I'm sure he knows what's good to merge and what not)... read the other forums and you'll find more info...

Our current technologies (some at prototype stage) go about half way to RoM's Transhuman era techs so it's kind of pointless to add such option...

8. mussbu

mussbu Chieftain

Drats!! I hate those design nightmares!!!!!:cry:

9. Zorn

Zorn Prince

I think ROM ist really great as it is, and I think no further additional content is really needed. Some finetuning and it is perfect.

Some things I would suggest:

1. Overhaul the quest rewards. They are way inferior to some things you get from random events, wich seems wrong to me. Also, I don`t really like the fact that the reward for archieving the additional condition outweights the reward for the quest itself by far.
    2. The scaling for map sizes for the two largest maps should also be changed. I understand that the point is that on larger maps you can fit much mor cities, but that isn`t really true. On these map sizes, the limit is not space, but maintainace costs. Having to wait over 100 turs (on snail, though) for bronce working or having to build 30+ buildings to fullfill a quest is ridiculous. I think the factors should be the same as for huge size.
    3. Finally, I would like to see a small change on the amount of wonders in a city. Changing it to 4 non obsolete wonders would still prevent super-cities, but would annoy the player less

10. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

If I could find some time and energy for modding again then the car industry (Top Gear Luxury Cars) and entertainment corp (Uciversal Studios) is on the list already plus a couple more. Though I have to admit, that if I somehow finds a cache of energy, it will be spend diving with Bull Sharks, as they have returned to the island and has grown to about 4 meters in lenght.....

11. RobO

RobO King

Going further into RoM 2.8 - mid 1900's - I can see that there are several manufactured resources (e.g. vulcanized rubber) that would fit into some fancy corporations. But, as you say, one has to prioritize one's time. Happy diving :)

12. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

1. That's good point. I haven't actually checked any of the quest random events yet.
    2. I'd need more feedback about those so that these mapsizes can be tweaked better - changing map size modifiers affects the whole game ie. all eras so if now balance is good for some eras (but slow at start) I'm not sure if there's anything that could be done. Personally I don't play on snail and that speed was originally added because some players preferred to have extra long games.
    3. I think this would require SDK changes so it's beyond my skills.

13. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

Regarding Zorn's point 3, if you go to GlobalDefines in the Assets/XML folder, you can change that at least to a larger number. I have both the Wonder restrictions at -1, which means no restriction, just because I don't want to waste time finding a city that can build the Wonder I just researched.

14. Zapper

Zapper Chieftain

I would like that in 2.9 also leaderpack is included in the mod (always wanted to play with Ataturk)

15. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

enjoy diving, I love SCUBA diving

16. little_cyclone

little_cyclone Loyal Civ4 & C2C mod player

Would it be possible to mod in an improvement or terrain to make a tile less defensible? Call it barbed wire, or tank traps, or fire pits, or whatever, but something to make the occupier of the tile more susceptible to attack.

At this point my border/chokepoint strategy has pretty much been to clearcut all surrounding foliage from a fort (hopefully positioned on a hill and/or forest/jungle for better protection) then lay roads everywhere (to make it easier to strike trespassing units and withdraw back to the fort to avoid any counterattack the next turn) and attack any units coming near the firebase. It would be great to be able to have my workers build/modify the terrain to make it easier to attack intruding units, as opposed to trying to promote units to a level where they get a bonus attacking that particular terrain (usually plains or grassland by this point).

17. Supercheese

Supercheese Zeppelin Commander

Well, if you have the artwork/graphics for it, the XML is trivial, for you can simply give it a negative defense modifier and it should work as desired.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, actually, to have workers able to build traps that entangle and slow down enemies on a plot, making them more susceptible to attack/ambush.

18. little_cyclone

little_cyclone Loyal Civ4 & C2C mod player

I recently started toying with a few other mods here and there (shocking, I know, with RoM, why go elsewhere?:lol:) and the "1939-World War 2" mod has similar such capabilities, but I was unsure if they were simple XML constructs or required SDK coding, which Zap has (understandably so) emphatically refused to undertake ;). XML is confusing enough, I can't imagine what SDK must entail. I never pine for the days of Civ 2 more than when I'm trying to mod Civ 4 :cry:

19. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

My Leaderhead Pack 2 includes Ataturk, among other leaders.

20. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

How do you change a leader's traits? I play mostly lakes and seafaring is useless.