1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 24, 2009.

1. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Strange feeling? Oh yes, I got bunch of RoM achievements acquired! ;)

Fun - how could anyone get tired of civilization games? ;) I've played them since 1991 and still playing all the time so yes, I'm having lots of fun when playing RoM - it's the cool thing with civilization games (and the mods) that you can enjoy them until the next sequel in the series is released. :)

2. Pongu

Pongu Chieftain

Zappara I am so grateful for the time you're putting into RoM. I'd stopped playing Civ but kept my copy, and my fingers crossed for a mod like this. It's fantastic.

That said, it's a heavy load on 32-bit XP with so-so video card. I wonder if you got around to cleaning out the high polycount artwork? If sacrificing graphics improves gameplay, please do cut. Likewise some components might be eating up more time than they're worth. I know streamlining RoM can't be much fun. I'd appreciate that effort more than added goodies at this point.

Of course I still want more! My wish list:

Include Perfectworld 2.

Include Flavour Mod (Egypt starts near flood plains, etc.).

and/or

Include Culturally linked Starts (Aztec starts near Inca).

My current game has ancient triremes rowing forth to prove the world round. Cheesy! This shouldn't be a viable endeavor. I understand the need to allow some limited voyages. Maybe better than the CPU-devouring storms, just knock health off any ancient vessel every turn it ends in ocean.... as suggested by another fan. Provided the AI doesn't sacrifice droves of ships that way, of course.

I would like unique units with more punch. A lot of them are basically just different graphics. Unique units should perturb the game. Actually the wonders and even buildings could have stronger effects. CIV 1 gameplay was kinda like a card game: when a civ built something it "broke the rules" and rocked the game. I think that with all the stuff of RoM perhaps too much balance has been made, so the wonders... aren't very wonderful.

3. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I did check them - If I recall the highest polycount was around 6000 (regular melee unit is about 1.5k * 3 persons in formation = 4.5k) in some helicopter/mechanized units which are shown only as 1 model. So there wasn't any need to cut any models. RoM didn't have any of those 20k polygon models that some other modpacks have...

4. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

@Pongu Perfectworld 2 can be used without problems.:)

5. Pongu

Pongu Chieftain

Awesome awesome. :)

I see PerfectWorld2.py did come with RoM2.8. Could someone explain how I'd make Culturally Linked and/or Flavour starts work with that in RoM?

6. Grunthex

Grunthex Prince

I notice there's no RoM prefix on perfect world 2-- does this mean it won't generate marsh, or the new floodplains on plains?

I'm just playing through a great game now on the original RoM-Perfect World script, and it's been wonderful, except I think the massive tree coverage kinda stunted the AI a bit. Not sure if something in the Better AI or RoM specifically was changed, but the AI left trees up a lot longer than usual, a bit TOO much in this case, as they failed to grow their cities early.

Gonna try a PW map with a bit less trees for my next game, see how that works out.

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

You can't cut trees until Iron Working and it is often counter productive in RoM anyway.

8. Grunthex

Grunthex Prince

Hmm? Oh, *I* know how the tree thing works, and mostly I agree. It just seemed in that last game, we were in the middle ages, and most of the AIs still had forest/jungle in their capital's BFC. They just didn't seem to build workers like they usually do.

Almost all the capitals were sitting around size 5-6, when my cities were breaking 10-12ish. And usually the AI has bigger cities than me.

I'm trying to figure out if the AI just doesn't know what to do with the new food requirements, or if it was a result of my map settings (PW has a lot more hills, and a LOT more trees, which might have just confused it)

9. munky

munky Warlord

strictly personal style and really not related, but i clear the trees and jungle that immediately surround my cities so that if i need to strike at invading troops they don't get their defensive bonus. nothing worse than a siege army sitting in the woods hammering away at ya... :mad:

and i hate automated workers yet sometimes you get so bored you cant help but automate them and i always make sure they dont clear forest with the options menu... i have seen cities lose all their production as a result of moron automotron workers. :scan:

10. Snub

Snub Chieftain

Oh Zappara we can't waiiiit for 2.9 to come out, we've been checking the site every day since you've uploaded 2.8! We really want to play 2.8 multiplayer, but it has those OOC problems which makes it impossible! :cry:

Rise of mankind 2.8 beta doesn't have a problem with getting out of sync... but has its own different bugs.

Can't you pleaaaaase upload the latest rise of mankind 2.8 with the old revDCM used in the beta (people are saying this is causing the OOC problem) and call it 2.8 multiplayer? I'm sure there are many people who'd like this!!

We promise we'll play it every day :lol:

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

In theory all you need to do to make this so is to copy the cvgamecore.dll, in the assets folder from 2.8beta since that is where the RevDCM stuff is. But this is only a hypothisis which needs testing so back up before you try.

12. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I almost posted the same thing, but I think there could be more changes than that... I think that needs testing, at the very least.

13. munky

munky Warlord

had a couple CTDs but the weird thing is, is that there is no log file. i put the directory into C:\ and there is nothing there... this is one of those few times i have played REVOLUTIONS and am wondering if there is still a thang when you play REV with RANDOM EVENTS on. i will look into the log file, most likely end user error.

anyone have a piece of advice for the decreasing of odds of a CTD, that sometimes x - y - z happen regardless of the version and i should __________________?

in other words, any tricks out there that generally help?

remind me - clearing that cache is a multiplayer thang and no effect solo?

finally can anyone answer this riddle:

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow​
    :crazyeye:

14. Afforess

If you wanted to completely get rid of CTD's, you just need to stop playing Civ. ;)

In all seriousness though, you can't "reduce" the odds of a CTD. You can lower MAF's, but not CTD. CTD's are from poorly written code... (Half the time, I've found them to be divide by 0's.)
    African or European?

15. dudeSDCA

dudeSDCA Prince

I think one of the core focuses for 2.9 should be efficiency and cleanup/mgmt of the files/code.

Several folks (Afforess esp.) have identified places where code can/should be optimized (turning storms on/off, python calls, etc.). So I'd propose a couple of ideas:
    - Optimization of the ROM code
    - Fleshing out the 2.8 lite concept (making nobuildinggraphics, static leaderheads, no storms, etc. part of the core as a 2.9 lite, along with the no movies, etc.)
    - Only bringing in new feature sets/functionality that really offers something new/different, and letting the mod-modders take care of the modular goodies (E.g., WBLO becoming a mod addon, not necessarily a core-component)
    - I'm sure others have some really good ideas of how to improve efficiency / speed of the game, while still letting people experience the awesomeness that is ROM

16. fox456

fox456 Warlord

Would it be possible (and desirable) to incorporate the "Enhanced Sized Cities" mod as an option that one could check when setting up a new game? That way those who would like to spread out their cities and work more squares could do so. I haven't been able to get that mod working since 3.19 came out. Thanks for your consideration of this option AND for all the time that goes into RoM!

17. Afforess

Have you taken a look at my RoM modmods?

18. fox456

fox456 Warlord

Hmmmmm, I am going to do that right now... I'm anticipating good news!

EDIT:
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wasn't sure, but no, I had never checked out your modmods before. They sound awesome and I can't wait to start a new game to try them out. I wasn't expecting anything like that -- you've thought of so many cool ideas.

Do you know if this is the extent to which the "Enhanced Sized Cities" expanded? For some reason, I thought it went out an extra 2 squares.... I think I'd like that, but have you ever tried it, Afforess?

One more thing -- do you have to start a new game after adding your modmod?

19. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

fox456, you get an extra ring of tiles around your each city once it gets the next to best level culture. I really feel better about my city placement because it's easier to use all the land tiles without crippling overlap. Add in the BUG feature that lets you reassign tiles in a city screen by clicking on them if they're grayed out, and you are well on your way to supersizing a handful of cities.

For the modders, Valkrionn (Rise of Erebus/FF+) has figured out how to add to the option menu, specifically an instruction to workers not to build forts. If one of you could apply this to RoM, I'd love to be able to tell my automated workers to A)replace improvements only if they are not appropriate for the underlying improvement, and then only with the appropriate improvement (for resources newly revealed or the products of jungle camps, for example), B)replace improvements when a better version is available (like modern mines on shaft mines or tree farms on forest preserves or lumbermills), and/or C)balance cottage/industry for each city.

Towards the bottom of the page here (Nov 10)
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326053&page=34

Also, playing FF+, I noticed a couple of other things RoM might benefit from. They give workers expierence and promotions, for example. I also liked how the popup for a city that's finished its build queue is organized. The build buttons on the city screen itself aren't any better organized, but it got me thinking how it might be nice if the buttons were organized by what buildings do (like if we could have all the production bonus buildings in a row, or the culture, or happy). Also they have buttons on the city screen to prevent unhappy or (separately) unhealthy citizens (that probably just works like the avoid growth button, but only acts when one of those conditions is threatened).

20. Cozart

Cozart Chieftain

The only thing that I can think of adding, would be Canals, not irrigation canals, but canals like the Suez or Panama Canal. I don't know if it would be possible to have a tile that water and land units can cross, but I think it would be handy. Perhaps in keeping with history, make it so the worker is consumed when making the improvement, like the work boats do.

I did read something in the BTS pedia that said you can use forts in this manner, but I just haven't been able to make it work.