rise of mankind? a new dawn? caveman2cosmos? rocks2rockets?

tramwajg

Warlord
I am confused with all these names, anyone could explain me what is difference between rise of mankind and caveman2cosmos? first one seems rather outdated and there is much less content than available here, why would they still develop it then?

another question, I used to play this mod a while ago and it was the best one. Now I am planning to start game once more, what would be your recommendation for map? I remember that it was impossible to make random space map, I used giant earth with space last time, would be great to try something different this time. Would it be good idea to use eternity speed on this map size? and could you propose any computer improvements? currently ssd 128gb, ram 32gb, gtx780, intel quad core i7

one more question:) any similar mod of this size for civ5 and civ6?

Rise of mankind and rock2rockets are abandoned projects.

A new dawn is different mod with much less stuff - at some point AND and C2C went on separate patches.

There aren't any giant earth with space scenarios.
Largest ones have Large sized Earth.

Civ4 is very old game and its singlethreaded and 32 bit, so it can't use more than one core and more than 2900 MB of RAM.

Your computer sounds like its should be fast.

I remember that it was impossible to make random space map, I used giant earth with space last time, would be great to try something different this time.
When you say Giant Earth with space you probably mean KaTiON_PT´s Large Solar System map as this is the biggest Earth map combined with space available. If you want an alternative map you could use one of my standard sized space maps from here. They have the same size as KaTiON_PT´s map and in fact the space part is identical but the earth part is randomly created.

Eternity speed? Well would be really too long for me, reaching space age would take months even if you play hours every day. But whatever you prefer...

When you say Giant Earth with space you probably mean KaTiON_PT´s Large Solar System map as this is the biggest Earth map combined with space available. If you want an alternative map you could use one of my standard sized space maps from here. They have the same size as KaTiON_PT´s map and in fact the space part is identical but the earth part is randomly created.

Eternity speed? Well would be really too long for me, reaching space age would take months even if you play hours every day. But whatever you prefer...
I think eternity speed on my Duel sized Earth (they have impressively long space part of 240 tiles or so) space maps could be faster than that :p
Still if tech rate is one per 20 turns and turn time is minute in late game on my space maps, then there is 20 minutes before you get to next tech after researching one :p

I am confused with all these names, anyone could explain me what is difference between rise of mankind and caveman2cosmos? first one seems rather outdated and there is much less content than available here, why would they still develop it then?

another question, I used to play this mod a while ago and it was the best one. Now I am planning to start game once more, what would be your recommendation for map? I remember that it was impossible to make random space map, I used giant earth with space last time, would be great to try something different this time. Would it be good idea to use eternity speed on this map size? and could you propose any computer improvements? currently ssd 128gb, ram 32gb, gtx780, intel quad core i7

one more question:) any similar mod of this size for civ5 and civ6?
It's likely all the gamespeeds have got much slower since you last played. If you want a long game (but not a reeally long one...), you may find that Snail is long enough now.

My previous game lasted 4 months and was not finished:) marathon speed and earth map with space part, although it was partially caused by my computer's low speed - long turn times, and a lot of work that I had to do. I would try snail then:) Thanks for maps propositions, I will choose one of them. So it seems like improving computer would be pointless and buying new graphic card like geforce RTX 2080 would not improve performance, same with ram memory and processor. How about things like ssd hard drive, or any other ideas for making games faster?:) last game I was very ahead with technologies so it remained playable until early space era, but when AI civilizations started to enter industrial and modern ages, it became much slower. Maybe it would be good idea to use fusion missiles so that less cities are on map:)

This mod makes civilization 4 so much better to play than civ 5 and civ 6. I like hex terrain, but content of these new games seems so poor even with expansions, compared to this mod that even allows to learn some english and history:D I also got used to solutions from c2c where I could buy particular building for all cities with one click, or browse in one table which city already has this building. It seems to be impossible in later games:)

Last edited:
My previous game lasted 4 months and was not finished:) marathon speed and earth map with space part, although it was partially caused by my computer's low speed - long turn times, and a lot of work that I had to do. I would try snail then:) Thanks for maps propositions, I will choose one of them. So it seems like improving computer would be pointless and buying new graphic card like geforce RTX 2080 would not improve performance, same with ram memory and processor. How about things like ssd hard drive, or any other ideas for making games faster?:) last game I was very ahead with technologies so it remained playable until early space era, but when AI civilizations started to enter industrial and modern ages, it became much slower. Maybe it would be good idea to use fusion missiles so that less cities are on map:)

This mod makes civilization 4 so much better to play than civ 5 and civ 6. I like hex terrain, but content of these new games seems so poor even with expansions, compared to this mod that even allows to learn some english and history:D I also got used to solutions from c2c where I could buy particular building for all cities with one click, or browse in one table which city already has this building. It seems to be impossible in later games:)

I would not recommend playing on Snail with it's 12,000 turns. You played Marathon before, it is now 8,000 turns. Per your description of how the game played for you last time, I would suggest Long Game Speed at 4,000 turns, Or Epic at 6,000 turns.

As for the differences between Rise of Mankind and C2C and AND2, Rise of Mankind (RoM) made by Zappara is the predecessor for both Caveman2Cosmos (Author StatregyOnly) and AND2 (Author Afforess). Both were developed from RoM v 2.92.

RoM at version 1.41 had a Modmod made for it called Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn (AND) by Afforess. As RoM advanced so did the Modmod AND. Zappara left the forums after RoM 2.92 was put out. Afforess expanded his Modmod to be a Stand a lone version Called Rise of Mankind: AND. Which was later Shortened to AND2. Which is still active and under the guidance of 45°38'N-13°47'E whom Afforess gave control of the Mod to.

StrategyOnly was the Author of NWA which was a Non Revolution version of Early RoM. (Zappara had added the Mod Revolutions to RoM at v1.03.) After RoM had reached 2.92 StrategyOnly used that along with his ideas and work from NWA to create Caveman2Cosmos.

There is your brief history of how and by whom we are where we are today.

I joined CFC a year after I 1st installed RoM 0.84 as my 1st Mod for BtS. I followed Zappara and then both StrategyOnly and Afforess in their respective paths to make AND2 and C2C. I was a Team member of AND 2 for a short time. But I was involved with all 3 Mods as a very persistent and vocal player/tester from their respective beginnings. Finally in late 2016 (or was it 2015?) I became a Team member for C2C. (And most of the Team has regretted it ever since :lol::mischief::nono::cringe::gripe::old::devil: )

Seriously though If you want to get into the Induatrial and later Eras Do Not play Game Speeds longer than 8,000 turns. Do Not play with more than 12 AI on a Large Map and Do Not Use Revolutions or Barb Civ Options. Otherwise you will never get there. (Edit: I should not have said Never, but it is extremely difficult.) :p

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Seriously though If you want to get into the Induatrial and later Eras Do Not play Game Speeds longer than 8,000 turns. Do Not play with more than 12 AI on a Large Map and Do Not Use Revolutions or Barb Civ Options. Otherwise you will never get there.
Complete nonsense. My current game on Eons (5100ish/16000 turns), started 6 mths ago today, now in mid 20th-century (Modern Era as I still call it), with Revolutions and Barb Civ etc., still 16 AIs (although this still goes up as well as down which is so cool), Huge map.

Joseph claims to have sabotaged the SVN recently, so that slower gamespeeds are unplayable. If this proves true, his changes will be reverted, have no fear.

Complete nonsense. My current game on Eons (5100ish/16000 turns), started 6 mths ago today, now in mid 20th-century (Modern Era as I still call it), with Revolutions and Barb Civ etc., still 16 AIs (although this still goes up as well as down which is so cool), Huge map.

Joseph claims to have sabotaged the SVN recently, so that slower gamespeeds are unplayable. If this proves true, his changes will be reverted, have no fear.
I bet your map has a LOT of water, can I see save?
I guess what Joseph said is for maps, that has a lot of land.

Also I don't think, that he sabotaged anything - all I see is him rebalancing civics.
He touched pests and properties in February.

By the way you should be in Atomic era at 7000th turn or so :lol:

So slow speeds are best with small maps or space maps (Biggest ones have Large- Earth map) or maps full of water.

Last edited:
I bet your map has a LOT of water, can I see save?
I guess what Joseph said is for maps, that has a lot of land.

Also I don't think, that he sabotaged anything - all I see is him rebalancing civics.
He touched pests and properties in February.

By the way you should be in Atomic era at 7000th turn or so :lol:

So slow speeds are best with small maps or space maps (Biggest ones have Large- Earth map) or maps full of water.

Since I can't see who you are replying to raxxo, although I do have the Option to "Show Ignored Content" if I want to see, I would guess that Yudi is attacking me again. He just loves to twist things. Apparently he disagrees with my suggested GS for tramwajg to play. They are after all only my recommendations. Others may make theirs if they choose to do so. It is a free speech forum last I saw.

@Yudishtira, Have fun! Bye Bye.

thanks for all the answers;) so I started on duel earth map with horizontal 9 space zones (I don't remember who created this map, but it's single land mass with giant lake inside and oceans outside), size matters (hard to understand at the beginning, especially combat quality), eons gamespeed, 9 AI, barb civs, neanderthals. Barbarians killed some early civilizations, but new civilizations arised from barb cities aswell. It was surprisingly easy to capture two barb cities at the beginning, I sent stone throwers there, so that I had 3 cities maybe after first 6 turns. Now researched sedentary lifestyle, one of AI is researching softhammer percussion, 6 cities, borders protected with slingers mostly on fields with 75% tile defense, palisades in some places, trails everywhere. Prehistoric gameplay is great, I am surprised that one user on forum was asking how to avoid playing on this stage. Maybe I will try eternity with increased research costs to enjoy prehistoric once more for 2x longer:) performance is fine, maybe because of small map size. If you have any advices tell me please:) very nice experience to start game again
https://i.ibb.co/Lgmt2V9/prehistoric.jpg

Last edited:
especially combat quality
Just think of it as 'natural ferocity and innate psychological willingness to fight and risk their lives'.

Prehistoric gameplay is great, I am surprised that one user on forum was asking how to avoid playing on this stage.
I was confused by this too. Even as one of the mod developers, I find this my favorite era by far.

Prehistoric Era is very fun, especially once you reach the late stages. Late Prehistoric/early Ancient has my ideal balance of micro to macro (plenty of units, less cities to curate) + reasonably meaningful tech advancements compared to some in later eras. It's also a great time for Criminals, Strike Teams, and Canines/Felines.

It's nice that my topic was visited by mod developer then:) I have a question, what can be sources of large science drops? for example, I had 1400 science for many turns, and then it dropped to 1200 for no reason. Also I would like to ask about production queues, do you have any advices for starting a new city? My queue was most often: alpha male, rock gatherer, stone tools, trails, bridge, then some production things, then food, then commerce gold and science. Thanks:)

I halved research modifiers, that came from buildings some time ago.
Other than that myths obsolete in groups - on slower speeds and larger maps (or your continent landmass) you can get more myths before they start obsoleting or losing science output.

It's nice that my topic was visited by mod developer then:) I have a question, what can be sources of large science drops? for example, I had 1400 science for many turns, and then it dropped to 1200 for no reason. Also I would like to ask about production queues, do you have any advices for starting a new city? My queue was most often: alpha male, rock gatherer, stone tools, trails, bridge, then some production things, then food, then commerce gold and science. Thanks:)
Watch your property values and the automatic 'buildings' (which are really more 'effects') that emerge at various property levels of crime, disease, education and so on. Those can cause swings. As can if the city is 'celebrating'.

Top Bottom