Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

Hello....I'm using Larger Cities and wonder when the extra squares that the cities can use kickin......Thanks.

City size needs to be 30, and there is some specific requirements for it. Tech, buildings, etc. Sevopedia will give you a clearer picture of what you need to do. Additionally, you need to make sure you checked the larger cities option when you created custom game.

NP, glad to help. As ROM AND is one of my fav mods, let me know if you need any further help.

First of all - great mod!
To describe how it great, i can say that now i'm playing game on huge map, maraphon level, and my PC thinking more than 2 minutes each turn and i have CTD nearly each 5-6 turns, but i'm continue to play whatever!
And i have one small question.
Now 3 my cities do not want to grow. I have message "growth!" on each of them, they have full bar of food, have message "city X will grow next turn" etc, but next turn they don't grow and have the same situation.
They sizes - 32, 19 and 14. Is there any hidden conditions to grow in this mod? Or is it just bug?

First of all - great mod!
To describe how it great, i can say that now i'm playing game on huge map, maraphon level, and my PC thinking more than 2 minutes each turn and i have CTD nearly each 5-6 turns, but i'm continue to play whatever!
And i have one small question.
Now 3 my cities do not want to grow. I have message "growth!" on each of them, they have full bar of food, have message "city X will grow next turn" etc, but next turn they don't grow and have the same situation.
They sizes - 32, 19 and 14. Is there any hidden conditions to grow in this mod? Or is it just bug?

Interesting. You shouldn't really be getting a CTD as this mod is stable (at least for me, lol), can you post a log file the turn before it happens?

2 min turns; what era are you in, and what are the game specifics? shouldn't be taking this long unless your pc specs are older.

cities; check and make sure that you haven't accidentally checked the "stop city growth" box in the city manager (i've done this before and have forgotten that I did this), additionally, can you post a SS? Also, if your building settelers or workers, your city won't grow while they're being constructed.

any additional info will be helpful. While i'm not part of the mod team for this, I do play this a lot and have encountered quite a few oddities and have managed to fix 'em :)

Thanks for you reply!
Now I can't to load SS, save or log because i'm at work this moment.
I will do it at evening.
And what log do you mean? Autolog or game logs at folder /logs? Or may be dump?

I can say that i'm playing "a new dawn" version 1.76 beta 5 ( found it on sourceforge.com, the last version that was there).

May be there is newest version, more stable? I will be happy to play more stable or fast version.
I have CTD very often, mostly at the beginning of my turn, every 5-6 turns at this era ( era fusilers and cavalerists ).
And my PC is notebook, yeah, but it has i7 core and 8 gb RAM.
I thought that 2 minutes thinking is because of huge ( 32*20 ) map and 32 AI players.

About city growth - no, of course i checked "stop city growth" bar and i don't building workers or settlers. I've played about 30 more turns, and one of cities ( with size 14 ) at one moment growed to 15, but two others still stucked.
Sorry for my english, not native speaker.

Thanks for you reply!
Now I can't to load SS, save or log because i'm at work this moment.
I will do it at evening.
And what log do you mean? Autolog or game logs at folder /logs? Or may be dump?

I can say that i'm playing "a new dawn" version 1.76 beta 5 ( found it on sourceforge.com, the last version that was there).

May be there is newest version, more stable? I will be happy to play more stable or fast version.
I have CTD very often, mostly at the beginning of my turn, every 5-6 turns at this era ( era fusilers and cavalerists ).
And my PC is notebook, yeah, but it has i7 core and 8 gb RAM.
I thought that 2 minutes thinking is because of huge ( 32*20 ) map and 32 AI players.

About city growth - no, of course i checked "stop city growth" bar and i don't building workers or settlers. I've played about 30 more turns, and one of cities ( with size 14 ) at one moment growed to 15, but two others still stucked.
Sorry for my english, not native speaker.

Ok, think I found your problem. You DL'd 1.76c, which is a working SVN. That version is being worked upon by the AND resurrection team who's forum is here http://http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=369

The 1.75 version is from Afforness, which is the one a few play with (including myself) until the AND team get the new version perfected. That version is stable and runs ok (with patch located in this thread. Hope this helps, LMK.

So, me should play 1.75C? Ok, thanks, i'll try after work. Hope, it will be able to load my save.

I have had this problem a few times myself...what i do now is i go into the world builder and advance the city POP by 1, this gets the city moving again for me.

I downloaded 1.75c, and started a new game with the same options. About 400 moves ( of 1625 ) - 0 CTD or another problems. So, it seems really stable, thanks for advice!
I don't understand yet - faster this version or not, it will be clear near 600 move.

I downloaded 1.75c, and started a new game with the same options. About 400 moves ( of 1625 ) - 0 CTD or another problems. So, it seems really stable, thanks for advice!
I don't understand yet - faster this version or not, it will be clear near 600 move.

Game speed depends om a whole lot of variables, as Civ is notorious for memory leaks. Also, it depends on your pc specs as well, lol. I have a mid rng HP PC dual core that's only a year old, so If we use that as a bench mark for the following ( which I usually play);

Giant map/max civs/epic spd/almost all options chk'd. I usually avg between 30sec - min turn times. hope that helps.

In what era it is 30 seconds? In future era? Because the thinking time increasing during the game. From 1 second in first moves to 50 seconds to middle ages, and i don't know, but i expect 5-10 minutes in future era if i will survive. And it's only huge map, not giant.
So, or my PC is very weak comparing to your ( it's strange because it is 4 cores intel i7 ), or anything else. May be i need to increase priority of application or smth.

In what era it is 30 seconds? In future era? Because the thinking time increasing during the game. From 1 second in first moves to 50 seconds to middle ages, and i don't know, but i expect 5-10 minutes in future era if i will survive. And it's only huge map, not giant.
So, or my PC is very weak comparing to your ( it's strange because it is 4 cores intel i7 ), or anything else. May be i need to increase priority of application or smth.

I can get an avg 30sec spd all the way to the ME. After ME it starts to slow to roughly 45sec- min. IE to MDNE will bump up the time to anywhere fm 1-3min. As I said, Civ is notorious for memory leaks, so maybe you can find out more in the tech help forum.

What type of system are you running, 32/or 64 bit...
32 bit will work, but you WILL run into problems playing Civ4, especially the larger mods. MAF(memory allocation failure), will be inevitable, and slow response/game turns.
:badcomp:

As an example here's basic specs on my pc..
Spoiler :

With this I have very few problems.

Attachments

• vg1.PNG
    vg1.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 594
I can get an avg 30sec spd all the way to the ME. After ME it starts to slow to roughly 45sec- min. IE to MDNE will bump up the time to anywhere fm 1-3min. As I said, Civ is notorious for memory leaks, so maybe you can find out more in the tech help forum.

So, 1-3 min - it's normal, i have something like that in IE now.

About CTD - I Find what the problem. It's not in the patch 1.75c or 1.76c, real cause is another, I got it by serie of experiments.
If i am playing CIV in that mode - "making turn, enter, WIN-D ( go to the desktop to serfing internet for example, while AI is making move ), ALT-TAB after hearing sound that my turn" - than i have CTD every 3-4 turns.
If i am playing CIV in that mode - "making turn, enter, go from PC while AI making move" - than i can play without any CTD's all day long.
So, the real reason to CTD is something with going to the desktop or switching windows.

So, 1-3 min - it's normal, i have something like that in IE now.

About CTD - I Find what the problem. It's not in the patch 1.75c or 1.76c, real cause is another, I got it by serie of experiments.
If i am playing CIV in that mode - "making turn, enter, WIN-D ( go to the desktop to serfing internet for example, while AI is making move ), ALT-TAB after hearing sound that my turn" - than i have CTD every 3-4 turns.
If i am playing CIV in that mode - "making turn, enter, go from PC while AI making move" - than i can play without any CTD's all day long.
So, the real reason to CTD is something with going to the desktop or switching windows.

Out of curiosity, is that something that HAS to happen, as in a software/engine limitation, or would the time between turns diminish on a top-tier system with, say, a haswell i7?

Out of curiosity, is that something that HAS to happen, as in a software/engine limitation, or would the time between turns diminish on a top-tier system with, say, a haswell i7?

Not really, as civ is prone to memory leaks. Faster system specs will lower turn times a bit at the later eras, but will still be slower once you hit the IE and are playing huge + maps. I believe there is a utility called "civaccelerator"(sp?) that you may find in the tech forums that could help, but I personally haven't used it.

The Civ IV engine is 32 bit. A 32bit OS can only utilize 3GB of ram and all the processing between turns is done in the ram. A x64 OS can use somewhere between 4-6 GB of ram for this processing. So a x64 system with 4+GB of ram will run better for turn processing.

Unfortunately many players Insist on playing the bigger maps with as many Civs as they can crowd in so as each Civ gets more cities and units to fill the map the more demand for processing. If you have an i7 (which I do) and 8+GB of ram and 1-2gb of video ram, then you can play a giant map with 20 Civs and have decent turn times in the Ind Era and beyond. BUT, If you have to use REV then this is too can be become taxed by the New Civs that REV can create thru it's Revolts. AND's DLL (as do most of the major mods with customm DLL) has a 50 civ ceiling to match REV. 48 AI + Barb + player = the 50 limit.

If you leave REV Off and keep the starting AI # reasonable (Afforess recommended no more than 24) then the bigger maps stay playable longer. I play, with my system specs: i7 Quad 3.4Ghz with 8GB of DDR3 1666Mhz ram and 4 GB video ram, mostly Huge the giant with 8 to 14 AI with No REV and my turn processing by late Med Era is generally under 1 minute but has reach as high as 2 (when I play Caveman2Cosmos). AND of course is less.

If you have a 32 bit OS then you need to scale back even more.

And after the Official 3.19 patch the Civ IV engine does not have the memory leaks it did at it's beginning.

JosEPh

Top Bottom