Rise of Rome revisited...

donsig

Low level intermediary
*** Check here first ***

(Joespaniel started it, had to bow out then came back and conquered the Greeks!)
Knight-Dragon on vacation
Toasty ?????
gonzo_for_civ played
donsig played
Golden Bear ???
joespaniel playing
Ohwell having technical problems

More like in your morning I think. Now I am in the office and can't play although I can post. So I'll take the slot behind donsig who's got a late job (?). I can only play when it's nightime here on a regular weekday (about morning US time).
And dun worry bout the time. This game can take as long as it needs to. :)

I think I will post my summary around 10PM US time, have to get some sleep after a good game of Civ yesterday.

If you want Hippo and Skidi to play PM them, but 6 players may be too much.

Sure I'll continue, count me in!

Sorry Hippo. I zipped it with winzip. I can't post the save file here because it is over 1MB and the limit is half a MB.

Did you try unzipping it with winzip without renaming it? I've found that when I rename files on my games I can't open them and have to use the autosave.

It's about time. :) I'll get at it in another 10-12 hours. Whoever wants to play before me, within this timeframe, it's ok so long as you don't play it too close to my self-appointed time. ;) I'll just picked up fr whoever's the last player.

Continuing the game. Otherwise a great pity since we got really good geography. But first a few things ....

- build mines, develop the city tiles that are actually being used by the cities (rather than just building roads everywhere, we can link up our cities since they quite near in fut after doing the above)
- build 2 units for each city, to act as mil police (keeps unrest down)
- build settlers and expand first before building temples, Wonders (the Greeks are coming into our 'claimed' land, we aren't building new cities fast enough; barbs keep appearing, hindering our settlers)
- shldn't spend so much time exploring beyond the Greeks. Contact with other civs may be nice but IMHO those 2 units could have been better served at home as mil police. Or just send one.
- don't build settlers in a city with less than 3 pop. Found settlers finished in our southernmost city but we got only 2 pop ... Have to chg it to legion.

Hightlights : -

900 BC - Barb horsemen attked Antium but lost. We only hv one unit here. Shld hv expanded faster .... The barbs would cont attking thru out my reign. Lazy to narrate it all.

850 BC - Exch polytheism for mapmaking fr the Greeks. Also buy code of laws for 98 gold and philosophy for 60 gold. Exch polytheism with the English for maths and 18 gold. We're now an advanced civ. :)

750 BC - Contact with the Egyptians.

690 BC - Greeks demanded map fr us. Declared war when we declined. Oh **** ....

End

Notes - There's a barb settlement in the north. Watch out for the settler and legion. We also got a big problem with the Greek War ....

I played my turns (did 15). will post a summary in a bit.

Just wanted to get this uploaded in case anyone else is on-line to play now or tonight.

I should be able to finish it by tomorrow noon...i just finished one of my other Civ games, and won by spacerace on warlord, but I'm busy tonight.

Here's my summary - didn't post it sooner because I was reading about the PATCH!:goodjob:

The Greeks had declared war on us and Rome suffered the first casualty when our trans-Greece warrior was killed by one of their warriors. Hmmm... Let's see what the Roman legionaries can do. As Rome builds its legions the Egyptians join Greece in the war against Rome. As the new Roman legions march into Greece in 550 BC our first battle is won and Rome's Golden Age begins. We master the art of horseback riding and look into new ways to improve our commerce. Rome annexes Argo in 450 BC. One legion lost, another now elite.

I also founded one city and sent two settlers forth to make more. Built some mines and a road to our horses. I suggest we build a road linking the incense to our cities. I also think connecting our cities by road should be a high priority. A two unit MP garrison is good and additional luxuries to our cities will also help with :) .

Our territory seems crowded. The only way to get valuable Great Leaders is through fighting. I think fighting early is better than fighting later so I sent forth our legions to fight Greece. Argo was defended by two hoplites. It took three veteran legions to kill them - we lost one legion. We are close to Athens. I think we should capture more Greek cities. I think to do so we need some horses and catapults to compliment our legions.

I refrained from starting any more wonders even though we have two available and both are being worked on by other civs. Perhaps a GL or two will get us a wonder?

Suggestion - try to get the English to fight the Greeks as well (and the Egyptians). I think they're by far the strongest. Otherwise, our enemies may get them to fight us instead ... :(

Good suggestion, Knight, to bad they threatened me...I declared war.

okay short report.

1.) English demands and I will not fall to them, so they declare war!

3.) Pompeii is founded. Dover is Captured, but has many resistors.

9.) Dover is lost to the english

10.) Athens, is captured, Pisae is founded

13.) Pisae is captured by the Greeks. Golden age is over

19.) We have captured Delphi.

Okay, I'm sending two Legions to retake Pisae. Move the rest onto sparta and continue to conquer the greeks!!

War with England? Doesn't surprise me. I figured that if our war machine made headway against Greece we'd go after England anyway.

Glad to hear you took Athens. That ought to put a crimp in the Greek war effort.

Between this game and the GOTM I don't think Greece stands a chance against the Romans.:)

Ohwell - noticed you are on-line now. Care to take your turn?

Ok Ohwell I'll list you as 'playing' in the first post. Look forward to your post tomorrow.

Let's make sure Alexander never declares war on Rome again.:spank:

Great news and good job! :goodjob: This is really great news. Let's roll back the Greeks and kick them back into the jungles! :D
To tell the truth I was expecting a long drawn out war for survival. Things are looking great now. :)

Top Bottom