Rise of Rome: Win as Egypt!

Nihilist

Chieftain
I'm assuming this is the first Egypt win posted in this forum. I figured some people might be interested.

I got the idea from this thread. I thought playing as Carthage was a bit too easy, so Egypt seemed like the logical next step. Thanks, Chieftess.

First of all, I tried at all costs to maintain peace with all the civilized empires, at least until I had expanded, built up my infrastructure, and created a relatively large offensive and defensive force. Fortunately, Persia, Carthage, and Rome allowed me to expand in peace, and even to pursue luxury/resource trade and lucrative alliances versus the barbarian tribes. Greece was having a very hard time of it from early on, being at war with almost every civilization on the map. Eventually Persia made short work of them and set their sights on Scythia. Once Scythian cities started falling I felt it was my chance to achieve Empire, since I rightly figured Persia's main offensive force would be otherwise engaged up north. So in 130 AD, upon the expiration of our alliance versus the Scythians, I declared war on the Persians. I also convinced every civilization in the game to join with me against Persia. Immediately I sent four main attack groups (comprised of Swordsmen, NMs, and Fire Cats) towards the North (Lebanon and Syria), East (Babylon) and Northeast (Hatra), taking all four with relative ease. Little resistance was met during my subsequent conquest of most of the Fertile Crescent and Syria. I avoided taking Persepolis, assuming Persia's corruption in Asia Minor, Greece and Scythia was already enormous. I realized, though, that I had not yet met the full brunt of Persia's military might. So once I attacked Asia Minor, I decided to await the arrival of Persia's attack force. Soon enough, a huge stack of perhaps 40 Heavy Cavalry attacks me west of Trapezus -- and my first MGLs make an appearance. The greater part of my large force of Numidian Mercs is slaughtered. Fortunately a few stalwarts hold out against the Persian onslaught and I subsequently use my Fire Cats, Swordsmen, and Armies to annihilate Persia's considerably weakened Stack O' Doom. From then on it's smooth sailing. I mop up Asia Minor and advance on Persia and its territory in Scythia. I unfortunately don't get a chance to take all of Greece (just Athens and Sparta) because the Celts and Romans quickly took advantage of Persia's weakness and attacked. I finally win around 275-280 AD, with 4 turns left, 27% of the land, and 51% of the population. Maybe I'll try the Goths next!

Apologies for the verbiage, but this has to have been my most exciting and enjoyable experience with the Conquests so far, so perhaps a little exuberance on my part can be understood.

I'm wondering how well others may have fared with Egypt in this scenario...

I've also attached the save from immediately before the win.

Nice work!

What difficulty level was this on?

Unfortunately it was only on Regent, since I figured I wouldn't stand a chance anyway...

That's still a very good job! I might try it sometime.

At least it wasn't chieftain! Nice job, glorious! Playing as an underdog is like playing a higher level anyway. Now I wanna try it.

I played as Egypt and, as you say, it's not too difficult particularly since Egypt has a faster production rate, i.e., cheaper to build units and improvements.

How do you play as Egypt? It's not an option on the setup screen. :confused:

Impressive. I wouldn't stand a chance as Egypt. I have won as the Celts before though.

nice job on defeating Persia with Egypt! On Regent as well! Good job. I've done it with all the playable civs on regent but i havent figured out how to use the editor yet

Originally posted by Jikjok
nice job on defeating Persia with Egypt! On Regent as well! Good job. I've done it with all the playable civs on regent but i havent figured out how to use the editor yet

Just visit this thread. The file that allows you to play any of the civs should be in there somewhere...

By the way, do you have the final map of your game as Carthage? I'd like to see some more of those, in addition to any wins by the Barbarian tribes.

And, of course, by Egypt. :egypt:

Here is my game as the Celts. Just kept building settlers.

Originally posted by Nihilist

Just visit this thread. The file that allows you to play any of the civs should be in there somewhere...

By the way, do you have the final map of your game as Carthage? I'd like to see some more of those, in addition to any wins by the Barbarian tribes.

And, of course, by Egypt. :egypt:

I have saved over those games but I shall defeat them again so that I can show you. This may take several weeks as I am going on a well-earned holiday to Queensland in a day or two but after that i'll get cracking! I know it sounds a bit suss but its true!

I didn't get Chieftess' patch to work, I still couldn't chose another civ. I may have screwed something up (likely), but I learned to use the editor, and then got it to work.

I expanded as Egypt, and even go tthe GL, which helped immensly in catching up to the other civs in tech, but Persia declared war on me sooner than I desired, and after taking one of their cities, they came at me with a zillion heavy cav. Then I notice that Egypt can't use heavy Cav :eek:

I didn't last long, I didn't know I couldn't use heavy cav, so I was S.O.L. What a bad miscalculation. Next time, I guess I will include some fire cats.

Fire Cats are absolutely vital in this scenario as Egypt, since their offensive capability is limited to Swordsmen. I was lucky in that I had MAs with Persia the entire time until I declared war, so I didn't have to worry about that Heavy Cav SOD until I was good and ready.

I tried downloading the patch to play as the "non playable" civs but I cant figure out how to use it or where to download it to. I have civ 3 complete for mac, if anyone knows how and could help me out I would appreciate it.

I know people that have played as sweden in Napoleonic Europe, and I would like to play as either Egypt, Celts, Goths, or scythians for rise of rome.
There are a lot of unplayable civs for the middle ages that would be sick to play as also
Anyone know how to make the patch work for Mac???

(I thought this thread looked a little familar. ;) It's a 6 year old thread, BTW).

I tried downloading the patch to play as the "non playable" civs but I cant figure out how to use it or where to download it to. I have civ 3 complete for mac, if anyone knows how and could help me out I would appreciate it.

I know people that have played as sweden in Napoleonic Europe, and I would like to play as either Egypt, Celts, Goths, or scythians for rise of rome.
There are a lot of unplayable civs for the middle ages that would be sick to play as also
Anyone know how to make the patch work for Mac???

I don't remember the patch (you mean mod?), but I think this was made before the 1.22 patch was made. So, if Civ3 Complete uses the 1.22 patch, then it's not playable. But, there is a way you can manually edit the scenario to play as any civ. You'll have to use the Civ3 Conquests editor and, IIRC, change the scenario rules.

is the mod discussed Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire ? If not , is there a download link ?

Pretty sure it's just Rise of Rome. You don't need to download it (it's under the "Conquests" I believe). However, there are normally only 4 Playables (Rome, Macedon, Persia, and Carthage, I think), so you'd have to manually change the Playable Civs in the editor.

Top Bottom