Rise of the Daimyo

Eclipse4449

Deity
Rise of the Daimyo
This is the "Sengoku" that came with the game, no modifications

Game is Full and started

Host: Eclipse4449

Turn order

I was able to switch player 4 and Player 1 to allow me to set up the game.

as you can see it is 8 players so the AI level isn't a factor other than the Ronin barbarians.

The AI was set to Monarch, I hope it took.

A reminder, the Ronin is not your run of the mill barbarian take care when they are present

Your Daimyo unit is a Hero unit, if it dies your game is over.
The Daimyo is promotable and upgradeable to be used as one of the strongest units in the game. If he is sheltered like a standard king in standard game you will not get the full effect of the game.

Diplomacy can not occur until clans have met within the game,

refer to posts #1, #2. #3 for occasional updates.

I'm sorry if you are not happy with your clan/position, the random pick element didn't do what we thought it would, it kept 50% where they were already in The Rise of Japan.

Placing players to these clans was not as easy as in an ordinary game, I had to think about it and had other variances.

I think, I hope, I believe this setup will challenge everyone in both battle and diplomacy.

Most of you know how the map is set up, but just to make the point again. Iron is an early strategic resource but it is placed in such a way that neighbors will battle for it. There is almost enough Iron for all to have but it might be a distance away.

Your expansion and the resources you command are key elements in this game, second your skill in Diplomacy should not be counted out. There is a quote saying something like "The pen is mightier than the sword"

I hope everyone has a great time and GOOD LUCK!!!

reserved for Miscellaneous topic

Rules

When something occurs that all can not see equally like the voting process, the player veiwing the results must report this message. if it pertains to all players.

PLEASE DON'T BE A SORE LOSER

1; For the most part this is a FFA, it is a land grab, in this sense early on S.O.D.S most likely aren't going to be an issue.

2; Resources, not everyone ends up with iron, not everyone ends up with saltpeter. This makes you or breaks you well before mid game (the iron age). Since this is a fixed map there is no excuse, everyone knows what they need to do early on.

3; Having stated #2 the early game becomes exceptionally thrilling or torturous depending on "your" decisions, still SoD not really a problem

4; The Survivors of the Iron age. Some Diplomacy will occur, including Alliances if any. Wars of attrition, there might possibly be 2 leaders vs 1 or any number of possibilities. and may seem like SoD but in my opinion is allowed.

5; "Shooting the Spearman" it will take a god awful amount of Spearman (iron age units) to do anything about one who holds the gun. thus SoDs would clearly be needed, hopefully you have the production power of cheap units to compete with the more powerful Gunpowder age units. (SoDs occur and are probably needed)

6; "The Gunpowder Age: I would guess a few factions have been eradicated and those that are left are building up an Army to take them into the LATE GAME. Here is where the SoDs are going to show their faces, If you decide as a leader to deploy SoD tactics, Might you find that the rest of the leaders from every direction come knocking on your DOOR. And since all your units are in these big stacks out in the field your Home Land is up for grabs and your cities will fall faster than a single SoD can take new ones.

7; Having stated #6 SoD are allowed (In my opinion) but regardless of my "Diplomacy" situation in the game, I would gather with the little people of the land to rid it of the super power

I personally too hate SoDs tactics it shows that you do have the ability to amass great numbers but it also shows it is the only tactic you know. I won't for a second claim that I am a tactician or a Superior Civ3 player, but what I will say is that I have a balance of Diplomacy, tactical skill and Strategy that wins me games or at worst get what I wanted out of it.

If all would take a few minutes and comment on these subjects(and PM me your email) we can set a rule all can play by and launch this game asap

The random numbers below;

Spoiler :

Chamnix - [chamnix at hotmail dot com]
Here you are:

Date - 78
Mori - 47
Uesugi - 12
Hojo - 96
Miyoshi - 5
Oda - 58
Imagawa - 27
Takeda -18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: chamnix@hotmail.com
Subject: numbers
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:17:49 -0500

Ok I’m gonna set up the Rise of the Daimyo game so I need the number you assigned to each clan here via e-mail.

This gives me time to set it up, I’m traveling as usual and Mondays offer me little online time, if I can get a decent connect in my hotel

Then Monday post what you sent me and that tells them who their clans is by being closed over or under to that clan

Defacto will be replaced by an AI, so problem solved and thank you!

Civilization III - Conquests Developer Update: Sengoku - Sword of the Shogun

I'd like to join this one again. But I cannot play for the next approx. two weeks. So if you guys are willing to wait, I'd be in.

Excelent Calis we'll wait for you and welcome Hawklord.
We have a couple of topics to discuss in post #3 I think atleast one of them should be considered

I'll go with whatever you decide. Not really played this one a lot so whatever works best.

Does one nation get an advantage in the default set up?

Hey,

And Hawklord makes 8. :D

Shuffle the resources?

This sounds ok.

Random Placement/Leader?

Do you mean random start locations? Kool
Do you mean random Clans? Yes

Duration of Peacetime?

This has given me a smile. Can you set a peacetime limit in the game?
I haven't ever used the editor so I haven't a clue. But I would change it
to shiorter then 20 years. Say like 3 or 4. This would keep with the
history of Clans changing sides. Even in mid battle clans would switch
loyalities. No one Daimyo early on could hope to rise to power without
help. I hate 20 year treaties anyway. Even if we don't Rep in this game
will be controled by the players, so no biggie.

Now as for the name.....:lmao:

Blaze Injun

Hey,

Does one nation get an advantage in the default set up?

We'll make sure you don't get that one. ;)

Here is what I wrote in the other PBEM. I quote.

"I love the Uesugi, play them every game. They start on the coast have
Iron 3 tiles from the capital. Furs, incense & dyes are close.
Riverways & gold. But I would like a different Clan."

Blaze Injun

In that case shuffling the resources sounds like an idea. So no one knows who gets what.

Just to cover everything I can think of without quoting you guys
I have limited skills with the editor but to hit the button to reshuffle the resources is very easy.

One note on this it only shuffles existing resources, it will not add anything more(I think)
I can enter each name at setup and just leave each as random.

I believe you can force a peacetime duration with the editor but that is beyond my ability:dunno: and I do not want to go to deep with that because this scenario is essentially programmed differently than a normal game and I fear messing up something.
(example) like barbarian camps and Ronin camps are effected because the map had been changed. I do not have the knowledge in depth to know, so I can do it but the random clan is the BEST option. We have some time and I know plenty of players that do have the background.

Peace time will best be done on our own but has a serious draw back, and that comes to play when 2 players want he same area:wavey::sniper: in the land grab portion of the game where friction will occur. Again I can seek out this topic for different answers.

Wow 8 players brings this game to an EPIC level, this removes the AI totally.:w00t:

In my boring single player game of this scenario, my Daimyo is a tank and I do now fear having him anywhere, but in this game, a human game you will earn that and when your Shogun 5 and above walks in this game you will be grinning and bragging.

at the start of this scenario the starting positions are defined, this mean one neighbor has iron nearby and the other does not, this causes the peacetime problem I mentioned earlier and in addition there are only 2 (I think) positions for gunpowder, although that is mid to late game it seriously plays a part of early strategy. Shuffling resources rather than shuffling clans puts everyone in the dark in regards to unseen strategic resources.:whew:

I seen that Defacto showed interest here so I need conformation that he is in.:popcorn:

I just now got the joke about the name of this LOL. I just wanted it to show relation to the previous game instead of ROJ2. So we can call this (ROD):salute:

Ok so thats 8 confirmed. very cool.

Lanzelot are you in as well?

Stay tuned to Rise of Japan, that game is far from being in

Hey,

[...]I seen that Defacto showed interest here so I need conformation that he is in.:popcorn:[...]
I am interested to play. Although there is the clan that game, which Shimazu which edited the original scenario for it to be playable, I'm ready to play!

Shuffle the resources?
Sounds good.

Random Placement/Leader?
If you're talking about picking random clans, seems good too.

Duration of Peacetime?
This has to be voted by the players. How have some regions with better resources than others, so it has to be established.
Samurai attacking a clan that can only recruit Ashigaru makes the game bad. :crazyeye: But is the game...

Yes the 3 topics do sound good but we must think them threw because it does change the game and this game will be long with 8 players so we want to get the best out of it that we can.

Sim os 3 temas soam bem, mas temos de pensar deles jogou porque não altera The Game e este jogo vai ser longo, com 8 jogadores, por isso queremos tirar o melhor partido dele que podemos

Wow, Eclipse. Nice Brazilian Portuguese. I'm impressed. You have added depth to your profile.
:thumbsup:

And I like the way Blaze's take on the name of this game was heightened when you said this game would be called ROD. Too funny.

I'm in!
New story, new character, new strategy.

Reshuffle resources and random player assignment is fine with me. However, I recommend to keep the orignal starting positions. I think they are well-balanced and very well distributed over the map.

BTW: how does one declare war in a PBEM game? I think that option is missing in the F4-screen. So we just attack?! Or send an email one turn in advance in order to fulfill the etiquette?

Regarding length of peacetime: as there's no AI involved this time, I think we don't need to care about our in-game reputation. So we can just define "duration of a treaty is X turns", and after that everyone is free to re-declare, if he so wishes. (And perhaps we don't even need to assign an explicit value to X. The two players negotiating about peace can aggree on this individually?!)

Top Bottom