1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise & Rule mod won't load

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Karl der Grosse, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Karl der Grosse

Karl der Grosse Chieftain

I have a modified R & R mod CivIII Conquests installation that won't load. The intro crashes with an exception in Civ3Conquests.exe. This crash is of similiar nature to the nasty black screen-of-death situation pertaining to BINKW32.dll errors.

The thing is, I did a clean install of CivIII, p1.29f, Conquests, p1.22 and this runs. When I say clean install: this means I deleted every reference to Civ in the registry and reinstalled after renaming the original CivIII Conquests R&R folder. When I swap folder names (i.e., clean install D:\Civilization III to D:\Civilization III_BAK, and D:\Civilization III_hold - the original custom R&R install - to D:\Civilization III), the game crashes hard on launch).

The R&R mod installation that I'm trying to salvage is heavily customized, i.e, lots of outright unit changes, folders have been consolidated, e.g. D:\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\extras\Art\Units (instead of D:\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units). Etc. etc. etc. All of these changes have been incorporated into the scenario BIQ that lives in D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios.

At this point, the contents of D:\Civilization III\, D:\Civilization III\Conquests\ and D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Movies are identical between the intial custom install and the recent "clean" installs. However, only the "clean" install Conquests will launch (after incorporating the appropriate entries into D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.ini and copying D:\Civilization III\BINKW32.dll to D:\Civilization III\Conquests\). I really don't want to recover what I had manually, in that I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel. I have modified terrain, resources, unit icons, leaderheads, etc., etc., etc. There's a serious motivation to try and salvage my intial installation.

I did not check to see if std CivIII will launch from the custom Conquests installation, but don't see what bearing that would have on the matter in that clean CivIII launched (I tested it) after intalling it, and frankly I'm not the least interested in CivIII anyways (I want to get my modified Conquests to run), and the two versions of D:\Civilization III's are presently identical anyways.

I don't know were to begin looking to track this down. Could it be missing entries in the Pediaicons? What other basic system files are necessary to launch the Conquests (not a scenario from within Conquests)? Perhaps the default BIQ in D:\Civilization III\Conquests is the problem? I was thinking that was only important when beginning a new game and not launching Conquests. Could mismatched/missing pedia entries cause this problem?

Any light you can shed on this condundrum would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. Karl der Grosse

Karl der Grosse Chieftain

UPDATE: I've ascertained from a directory compare that a major malfunction exists.

1. Alexander the Great FLC's are MIA (and I have nothing in my documentation that he's been replaced)
    2. D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Art contains no files (only folders) Ruh-ROH!
    3. D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Advisors contains one file: science_industrial_new.pcx :eek:
    4. D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Animations contains no files (only folders)
    5. D:\Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\BUILDINGS, RACES, RESOURCES and TERRAIN are empty (and a significant number of units are missing in UNITS) :cry:

:crazyeye:

There may be other issues to, but those are fairly glaring ones at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinkin' is that all of that needs to be resolved before I can complain about the stinkin' thing not running, eh? Ya think? :lol:

Anyways, the future looks pretty bright :cool:

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Re download the mod, make sure you do every single file, and that the download does not get interrupted.