1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rising Sun MkII needs you!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Homusubi, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

Homusubi here. You might know me from the Civ 5 days as that guy who split Japan into eighteen separate civs. I've been thinking about Civ 6 and the future of the Rising Sun mod. I dearly want to make way too many Japans again, but I looked at how Civ 6 coding works, and... oh god. I've mentioned on these forums before that I have the programming ability of - at best - a koi streamer, but this is something else. I'd rather try and read the Tale of Genji in the original than figure out what the hell Firaxis mean by some of those expressions.

So I've come here looking for fellow modders who are willing to help me out here. If nobody answers, I don't think Rising Sun, or whatever I end up calling it, will ever be released for Civ6. That code just looks too damn scary!

Here's what I'm proposing. Rising Sun, or Hi no Moto, or whatever it ends up being called, becomes a joint project similar to Colonialist Legacies. I am willing to do literally everything that doesn't involve code - concept (although of course, if anyone responds, they'll have input), leaderheads, maps, icons, song finding, Civilopedia entries, city lists, voicing, and so on and so on. You would then be in charge of putting it all into practice by figuring out the code.

In exchange, I'd be willing to help you in similar ways for whichever non-Japanese civs you want to create.

There's no hurry, of course - I don't think I'll actually do anything apart from leaderheads, research etc. until the modding tools come out.

2. Horem

Horem Emperor

The code looks more daunting than it actually is. What is scaring you so bad? :)

3. Homusubi

I guess the answer to this question is similar to the reason I never learned Lua in Civ 5, despite becoming fairly proficient at Civ 5-brand XML. Understanding what on earth is going on with that code is hard enough. I just got the same feeling from Civ 6 code as I did when looking at Skyrim's scripting language after extensively modding Morrowind and Oblivion - a general OH GOD PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME INTERACT WITH THIS that won't go away.

Also, I told myself that Rising Sun Mk2 wouldn't be a second-tier mod forever eclipsed by the likes of Colonialist Legacies and Patria Grande. I heard that Civ 6 XML could do what Civ 5 Lua did, so I got confident before release. I guess that's why the code is so damn intimidating. But anyway, doing it as a joint project might let that happen, while me slaving away at code I don't really understand will keep the mod down.

4. Horem

Horem Emperor

You are talking about Modifers, must be, the rest of the xml is pretty much the same as Civ 5. They are not so bad once you get you head around all the Tables invloved(of which i am sure half of them could be gotten rid of) and the effects that you can apply.

5. Homusubi

The problem is, this can be read as "it's easy, apart from the hard bits". Also, I don't want to be limited to creating incredibly basic traits that are just vanilla ones with e.g. culture and faith reversed.

6. Horem

Horem Emperor

You can do almost anything with Modifiers. Come up with a list of Traits and the effects you would like them to have, thats the hard part :) . I am still learning modifiers myself, although I am slowly getting my head around them, mostly :) . Come up with that list and we weill see what we can do with it.

7. Homusubi

You mean, you want my UA ideas? Sure, I've already thought up a few. That bit's one I can do. I'll say a few of my "ideal" abilities (not for the same civ or leader as each other):

1. Improved Bonus Resources provide one copy each of a unique Luxury Resource. (e.g. [civ name] Rice; [civ name] Stone) (it doesn't have to work with modded bonus resources if there's no way of coding it)

2. Every time a Great Person is expended, receive 5 of the relevant yield per turn for the rest of the game. (Alternatively, it could be e.g. +8 culture whatever kind of GP it is)

3. Military units heal all adjacent friendly military units by 5 HP each turn. (stackable)

8. Horem

Horem Emperor

Not sure I understand 1.

9. Homusubi

I might as well tell you the civ name to make the explanation less confusing. It's Echigo.

What civ ability no.1 does is create several luxury resources that are unique to Echigo (similar to the luxuries that are unique to certain city states or great people effects) which can be accessed by farming/mining bonus resources - effectively turning bonus plots into luxury plots. Just as a normal civ would build a plantation on a cocoa tile which would give them one Cocoa luxury, Echigo would be able to build a field on a rice tile which would give them one Echigo Rice luxury.

Sorry for the unclear wording the first time around.

10. Horem

Horem Emperor

I see.

11. Homusubi

I just spent two hours making a mockup of what my mod would look like if it existed. That's how much the code scares me.

Spoiler :