1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rising Tide - changes to "communications" tech

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Sep 28, 2015.

1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well the utility matters because mid game, the sirens is probably useless (as in 0 utility) for attacking (aliens are too weak, and there probably won't be a siege worm around)

It would be better for early game though.

2. Gali

Gali Prince

Speaking a useful orbital layer I noticed a new orbital unit in quill's livestream. The station defender I think. It doubles yields from trade routes to a station within its range, doubles the stations defense and prevents it from being abandoned. Add in the trait that boost trade route yields to stations and I could see caring about stations as hutama.

I also noticed in the videos respect from orbital coverage. They probably won't like getting coverage near them, but it looks like orbital coverage is another source of respect. Add in the purity bonuses and the power of some satellites and I might actually care about orbital coverage.

Kozlov also has an agreement that gives science per orbital unit. That could help boost the utility of satellites.

3. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

wat?
    point me to where in the effect's description does it say anything about revealing tiles and/or giving vision on them?

the Comm Relay will behave exactly like described: area of effect of 5 tiles (a hex circle: center on the tile where the Comm Relay will be placed; extending 5 tiles in each direction). each tile in the area of effect will get the "has orbital coverage" flag. in vanilla civ:be satellites cannot be placed on tiles that belong to an area of effect of another satellite.

the Comm Relay is an ugly hack to enable players to utilize the "+% strength when in friendly orbital coverage" upgrade(s). :goodjob:

I cannot see anyone caring about stations. there is a perk "+% to internal trade routes" and there is a respective virtue. internal trade routes become too awesome to ignore. :D

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It's been awhile since I've played base BE but I thought satellites revealed tiles beneath them. So I assumed this satellite would do that too.

5. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

The orbital for stations can make them quite OP. On writing bull's video, Keagunan is giving 2 bolts 38 energy 12 science 6 culture. That is quite decent. The food station would give 20 food, plus an extra 36 energy if i take the industry virtue.

6. Verviedi

Verviedi Chieftain

Oh my machine-god, Station Sentinal + Alternative Markets + Red Sun = ~50EPT

7. BevHeartMuncher

BevHeartMuncher Chieftain

You do get vision on tiles under satellites.

I suppose with the comm relay though, if it takes up 1 tile of coverage will it reveal that tile, or the whole 5 range radius? The million dollar question.

8. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Probably 2 in sight add normal units, how much sight does other satelites give?

9. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

The smaller ones (solar collector etc) give as much sight as they affect tiles. The bigger ones (laser orbital, range attack 3) also reveal as much as they can affect tiles i think, but it seems they count as a unit on the central tile for the sake of LOS. I say that because in my last game, i placed a laser satellite in position to bombard a city from range 3, and was quite surprised to find out that i couldn't shoot, because my LOS was blocked by a mountain. Deploying that orbital didn't gave me vision of the city. I had to bring a rover and keep it moving in and out of range of the city to be able to spot and shoot it.

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

11. Psyonif

Psyonif Chieftain

It still boggles my mind why they don't just let satellites MOVE, like, y'know, what satellites can actually do, and, indeed, what the whole POINT of them was irl before beamming geostationary TV channels became the most pressing concern of international relations.

But I suppose daisy-chaining them is better than nothing. The main reason I ever lose on BE is if a Civ on the other side of the planet builds a Win Wonder and I can't ship troops across to kill it fast enough. It's why I play Supremacy: exclusively for the 6-affinity bonus where you get coverage off Firaxite, and thus can actually put Phase Teleport satellites in far-away places you might actually need them. But if I can daisy-chain my way across the map, maybe the other affinities will get a look-in.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

Your satellite in SPACE cant see past this mountain on the PLANET, that makes so much sense it just blew my mind such realism. :lol::lol::confused::crazyeye::lol:

SO MUCH ENERGY, did they ever remove the Alternative Market stacking? where you kill a station that you were trading with and when it re-spawns you can get stacked AM benefits. its obviously not an exploit and they have more pressing Concerns, I want to see just how high I can get the EPT with the Station sentinel.