1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rising Tide First 250 turns preview (Marbozir LP)

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by sherbz, Sep 29, 2015.

1. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Chieftain

So Marbozir went through the traits and showed their agreements, which means that I can update my list. However I am far to tired too do that right now. BUT you can expect an update on my Traits and Agreements document by this weekend.

2. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Although im interested in the game, im not going to buy it. I will wait until it is 75% off or something, then i might consider it.

3. winddysphere

winddysphere Chieftain

I think it should have something like a dedicated goal. Like once you reach lv 6 at least for 2 affinities you have to choose an affinity. Choosing affinity ties some actions to that affinity like Purity can only build terrascape and manufactory, Harmony can make miasma field and befriend with aliens faster (+ can build anything that using xenomass), Supremacy has better orbital coverage and higher science bonus. Etc. Affinity seems to be almost the same except units.

4. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I'm definitely getting it once it's that much off

5. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Chieftain

Yeah, I guess I'll wait for the christmas sales unless it's *really* good - which I doubt, because I'd expect at least BNW levels of quality. :D

6. Sebwenjan

Sebwenjan Chieftain

What if culture affected the quest system somehow?

As in, maybe a high culture rate would mean speeding up the rate you're given new non-building related quests, which would have an overarching impact on the way both quests and affinities work, as most quests provide affinity.
    It would free up affinity xp from the tech web somewhat, meaning an investment in science over culture wouldn't be the obvious choice 100% of the time, it might be kind of like how Elodie's old bonus gave you science For culture, which translates among other things into affinity.

It might even mean (if you really invested in this style of play and ended up with a large number of quests) giving you the genuine option of picking which quest reward you value most greatly, rather than always doing the correct affinity one.
    The devs seem pretty geared up on the role-playing in this game, so what if you could genuinely play the game making what you see as reasonable decisions upon receiving each quest? Or for the sake of fitting into your overall strategy, tailoring your responses to get what your civ needs most at that point? This might bring those kinds of quests more in line with the better building quests which actually have civ-wide impacts, and you have to think about how you've been playing or about your future strategy before you select an option, rather than "Always take the x option".

This would of course be difficult to implement, balance, et cetera, not least of which would be writing a whole heap more quests so they didn't get stale, coming up with really interesting rewards for quests so it's not always an easy answer (which would need so many balance passes to be workable), but wouldn't those things directly improve the game anyway?
    Oh and I just realised they'd probably have to somewhat disentangle culture and diplomatic capital the way they only just did, but if culture becomes more important you're going to have to choose between culture and diplomatic capital to keep it balanced, or one or the other (or both) would have to be undervalued.

Edit:
    Though, after watching the latest Let's Plays I'm not sure how this would combine with basic resources on water seeming to yield culture much more often than basic resources on land.
    Might screw with water city mechanics too much. Also I'm not sure I can justify it lore-wise in a way that makes sense.
    Also diplomatic capital and culture aren't as tied together as I thought, you seem to get diplomatic capital from all sorts of buildings.

7. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I've preordered it and after these videos don't regret it one bit. :D

8. GenEngineer

GenEngineer Chieftain

I'm not at the point of regretting it yet, because there is always the chance that it has been remedied in the release version, but it has me very wary. You can bet the first thing I'm going to do is attempt test the war system, because that's the key point - if it works, I'm happy with where all of the systems are, even if I would like them to go a bit farther with one of them (hybrids). If it's still broken, then that breaks the entire game, and that's just not acceptable on their end to release it in that state. it would be like once you start researching something, you'd never be allowed to pick research again.

9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I pre-ordered awhile back. While I am disappointed to see such an important bug in the previews, I am hopeful it has been fixed or will be fixed soon. My disappointed is more the fact that the game not be as playable and fun on day 1 and I might have to wait an undetermined amount of time before I get to really enjoy the game as it was intended. I am still happy to see a more interesting diplomatic system and I am super excited for the new hybrid units.

10. GenEngineer

GenEngineer Chieftain

Don't forget the artifact and Marvel system.

If we're being honest, that's how I feel about the game. They've added about 5 systems (Diplo, Hybrid, Marvel, Artifact, and War Score) as well as 4 sponsors. I like the tentative eel of all the sponsors, and I like that it's less likely to see the exact same faces every game. While I still wish that the Hybrids were fleshed out to be on par with the core 3, I accept that that isn't what was intended and I'm pleased with what we got, and the same goes for the other systems. Except War Score, because that breaks the game to the point where the release might as well be delayed until the patch, because it's unplayable until then. :(

11. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Oh I like the artifact system and marvel system too. I just listed the diplo system and hybrids because those are the 2 biggest features that sold me on the expansion.

12. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Because... you're not supposed to button the bottom button?

Sent from my phone, please excuse terseness and typos.

13. Gali

Gali Chieftain

There are other cool stuff too. The new orbitals are really cool. There is a new health orbital. The Station defender and the station trade traitr can make stations VERY powerful. Teh orbital even doubles their defense. Add in the Koslov agreement giving orbital units science and the respect from orbital coverage and I actually might care about that layer.

New sources of health might open up new trees. Might is stronger now that you can double down and get even more science per kill from a trait. With hybrid bonuses and spread out affinity in the tech web its affinity boosts are even better. You will get affinity boosts and more from them so 20% more affinity just does more for you.

14. Manannan

Manannan Chieftain

I'm glad to see the tradition of having useless bonuses to culture cost of acquiring new tiles is continuing on in the trait system. I wonder if that's something of an inside joke at this point?

Moderator Action: Pirating software is unethical and discussing it here is certainly not allowed. Comment deleted.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

15. Gali

Gali Chieftain

I have already bought it through the greenman deal because that is unlikely to be topped for awhile. I have also stated that I like a number of things about the new expansion. The preview build is pretty darn buggy though and war score is looking HORRIBLE. Since I expect one balance patch maybe two tops, not counting day 1 emergency patch, the game is going to be what it is. It will be better than BE and have cool stuff but they did not do a proper G and K amount of background work. It will be hilarious to see review sites ignore the bugs and probably not even notice or comment on the broken war score mechanic.

16. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Why do you expect that versus at minimum G&K levels of quality? Just curious.

17. Veras

Veras Chieftain

I saw that you also haven't update the agreements for PAU and KP. Here they are:

People's African Union:

Social Safety Net: +15% population growth in Capital
    Pioneering Spirit: +30% outpost growth speed

Kavithan Protectorate:

Capital Health Autority: + 4 Health from your Capital
    Self-Reliance: Unhealth from Global Population reduced by 15%

18. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I just pre-ordered off GMG for €20.79. After looking at Marbozir's playthrough so far, the game looks a good bit better.

Plus looking at Civ V each expansion really improved the game.

19. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Chieftain

Yeah, I didn't get past the 2nd video due to time. Thanks for the heads up. Ill add them to the list when I get home.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

are those neutral Cooperative or alliance levels for the K.P. agreements? Self-Reliance looks insanely good, obviously its around 25 DCPT which around the time you can afford is when its useful, Capital health Authority looks like it will be strong early game for sure. overall id say this is the ONLY reason for me to NOT destroy Kavitha, so I think the Kill list goes as follows: INTEGER, ARC, Kavithan Protectorate. this is going off my dislike for these particular Leaders and is obviously variable by game.