Rising Tide - First Impressions

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
So, I'm 100 turns into my first match... and so far it's just a mix of pure awesomeness and trainwreck-situations alike. :lol: Here are my Highlights, feel free to comment or add your own:

- Well - a positive thing first: I just LOVE the start of the game now. The feeling of "loneliness", the huge, untamed world that lies ahead was so much denser in that game than Beyond Earth ever was. Not sure if it's because I don't really know what I'm doing yet, or if it's the combination of not meeting all leaders instantly and actually wanting to move out into the world, but either way - that feeling was just awesome.
- Questionable: All AIs hate me. :D I'm playing on Apollo and literally like... 90% of all Communiques I get are negative. Which is obviously because the AIs have huge bonuses and I started on Sea, so my start was rather slow. Not sure if that's intended to work like that - but at least in this very first game I don't see how I could maintain positive relations to anyone. Except for... Brasilia! Who I actually only met on turn 90 or so, while I was rolling over Pan Asia. He actually liked that... I think we're going to be BFF.
- Horrible: Combat AI. <Insert drawn out laughing here> I can't even start to explain how brokenly dumb Pan Asia was. So they start on land. Expand into the water. Don't build any boats, instead only produces land units. Annoys me with a Communique of how weak my army is. I attack with like... 7 melee boats. And the AI embarks all of their land units to be slaughtered. :lol:
- Positive: Pan Asia actually greeted me (Korea) with what seemed to be a personalized - and actually rather hostile - text. Something like "We know who you are and are prepared to deal with you." - that was awesome.
- Ocean Cities are probably as bad as I assumed. :mischief:
- Integr is telling me that I need to feed my refugees for the third time now and that they also had problems with feeding them until they finally found ways to solve it. Seems like Frau Merkel wasn't too successful at managing the refugee crysis in that reality.

So, I'm 100 turns into my first match... and so far it's just a mix of pure awesomeness and trainwreck-situations alike. :lol: Here are my Highlights, feel free to comment or add your own:

- Well - a positive thing first: I just LOVE the start of the game now. The feeling of "loneliness", the huge, untamed world that lies ahead was so much denser in that game than Beyond Earth ever was. Not sure if it's because I don't really know what I'm doing yet, or if it's the combination of not meeting all leaders instantly and actually wanting to move out into the world, but either way - that feeling was just awesome.
- Questionable: All AIs hate me. :D I'm playing on Apollo and literally like... 90% of all Communiques I get are negative. Which is obviously because the AIs have huge bonuses and I started on Sea, so my start was rather slow. Not sure if that's intended to work like that - but at least in this very first game I don't see how I could maintain positive relations to anyone. Except for... Brasilia! Who I actually only met on turn 90 or so, while I was rolling over Pan Asia. He actually liked that... I think we're going to be BFF.
- Horrible: Combat AI. <Insert drawn out laughing here> I can't even start to explain how brokenly dumb Pan Asia was. So they start on land. Expand into the water. Don't build any boats, instead only produces land units. Annoys me with a Communique of how weak my army is. I attack with like... 7 melee boats. And the AI embarks all of their land units to be slaughtered. :lol:
- Positive: Pan Asia actually greeted me (Korea) with what seemed to be a personalized - and actually rather hostile - text. Something like "We know who you are and are prepared to deal with you." - that was awesome.
- Ocean Cities are probably as bad as I assumed. :mischief:
- Integr is telling me that I need to feed my refugees for the third time now and that they also had problems with feeding them until they finally found ways to solve it. Seems like Frau Merkel wasn't too successful at managing the refugee crysis in that reality.

Please explain the trick to install BERT?
Mine is sitting there uninstalled still.

Considering one of the main complaints was how easy it seemed to be to make friends with every AI in the lower difficulties (of the prerelease previews), not sure how to evaluate the AI being so hostile here.

Please explain the trick to install BERT?
Mine is sitting there uninstalled still.

Be from Europe/Asia. Maybe you could trick it, if you somehow succeeded in setting up steam to think you were from one of those regions.

I just got it downloaded. I gotta say, the main menu screen is really pretty!

So at least there's that, right? :p

Be from Europe/Asia. Maybe you could trick it, if you somehow succeeded in setting up steam to think you were from one of those regions.

I switched my VPN to an Australian address.

It tricked Netflix, but not my steam account.
Figures

I switched my VPN to an Australian address.

It tricked Netflix, but not my steam account.
Figures

I expect your Steam and various games are all set to your actual region, which would prevent that from being sufficient.

Horrible: Combat AI. <Insert drawn out laughing here> I can't even start to explain how brokenly dumb Pan Asia was. So they start on land. Expand into the water. Don't build any boats, instead only produces land units. Annoys me with a Communique of how weak my army is. I attack with like... 7 melee boats. And the AI embarks all of their land units to be slaughtered.

That sounds like a major problem if that's how all or most of the AI-controlled factions handle water combat.

Potential Bug(?):
- Aquatic Cites don't automatically have a connection to your capital, instead you have to build a road on the city tile. What the hell? I wonder what happens if I move that city. My bet is that I'll have a floating road.

Also... isn't released in America yet? Well... sorry for being inconsiderate then. :mischief:

That sounds like a major problem if that's how all the sponsors handle water combat.
They do. Apollo feels like some medium difficulty faceroll on water (with similar Affinity Levels at least). Basically no resistance at all.

Potential Bug(?):
- Aquatic Cites don't automatically have a connection to your capital, instead you have to build a road on the city tile. What the hell? I wonder what happens if I move that city. My bet is that I'll have a floating road.

Also... isn't released in America yet? Well... sorry for being inconsiderate then. :mischief:

They do. Apollo feels like some medium difficulty faceroll on water (with similar Affinity Levels at least). Basically no resistance at all.

Keep the impressions coming, although I pre-ordered two copies so even if you say it sucks it won't bother me and I refuse to resent the fact you can play and I can't......you rotton......

The AI being bad on water was one of my main worries when it comes to water cities.

Now imagine if they do build strong land armies to defend ocean empires, or the opposite.

Well - a positive thing first: I just LOVE the start of the game now. The feeling of "loneliness", the huge, untamed world that lies ahead was so much denser in that game than Beyond Earth ever was. Not sure if it's because I don't really know what I'm doing yet, or if it's the combination of not meeting all leaders instantly and actually wanting to move out into the world, but either way - that feeling was just awesome.

Superb insight there, sounds cool. Reminds me of when I played Halo for the first time!

Alright, more Impressions/things I noticed:

- The road does indeed stay on the ocean tile, although it has no visible graphic. I assume if you drag a city and each time build a new road you can build actual road connections on water that way. Not sure if it has an actual effect on water units though.
- Basic Improvements can now be built on any resources. Not sure if that's a bug or intentional.
- Don't want to be rude, but the Voice Actor of Integr is annoying as hell. T_T The voice does not at all fit the character model (it's basically a young woman...), and her lines are cringe-worthy.
- I get random declarations of war from people on the other side of the continent.
- As I already assumed the AI still doesn't build explorers during the game. There's an Satellite literally next to the borders of Al Falah on turn 120. Most of the other Excarvations that I didn't pick up are also still there.
- The Marvel Quest Reward on the Frigid Biome is extremely underwhelming. Not sure if that one was already mentioned in the PreRelease-Let's plays (pretty sure it was), but it's basically...
Spoiler :
...some free Geothermal if you you happen to have a node in your territory.

- Nanopastures Tooltip has FINALLY been fixed in Rising Tide (+15%, not +30%), but people tell me that it has NOT been fixed in the base game.
- Trade Routes are AWESOME. :p The reversed yields really help to make me think about where I want to send them.
- The two neiboring mixed Land-Sea-Sponsors still keep sending Land Armies towards my purely sea-based territory.

Looks like you also can't play with the full 12 sponsors, even on a massive map.

That's disappointing.

Your military advisor says the following: ________ has ________ agreement, this would help our military

*dismiss*

Your military advisor says the following: ________ has ________ agreement, this would help our military

*dismiss*

:twitch:

Top Bottom