1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Rising Tide) No speculation on Hybrid Affinities and New sponsors?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Metecury, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

@Ryika

Do you think toning down the combat strength gains of more advanced units and making the AI more aggressive / capable of fielding a bigger army would solve that issue?

It seems like the natural weakness of a Science (or Culture) heavy focus should be an inferior industry and economy, with the risk of being overrun.

I suppose that preventing the problem of a handful of units stopping an army requires either half-decent tactics or huge numbers attacking at once from the AI.

2. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

3. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I wonder if some of these units are the "crazy scifi theme ultimate units?
    Aquilon
    Architect
    Autosled
    Drone Cage
    Geliopod
    Golem
    Immortal
    Nanohive
    Throne

4. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Nanohive, Architect, and Throne may be potential candidates for Ultimate status. But that's total conjecture.

5. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

It could be better if the tech bonuses to raw combat strength were weaker.

I'd prefer to see the promotions be the main way units get stronger with affinity level.

6. Halbbruder

Halbbruder Prince

Ryika, you always make the point against people who claim to have "objectively" good ideas and then saying that's just their opinion, or pointing out when someone uses a word incorrectly (in this case, "standard") and now you're doing the opposite. There's no such thing as an objectively good build in CivBE.

And I already mentioned he's playing a SP game. My point is that if he replicates that in MP, he won't last, hence not a good approach. You missed my point entirely. If he wants to do that in every single SP game, fine, but he'd get bored of SP by doing the same build every single time and what's the logical thing to do when bored of SP? Try MP, preferably with a group of friends who have similar experience, then see if your "objectively good" build is really good against either an aggressive player or an expansive player who forward settles you. By adopting this "objectively good" approach, you'd forget other ways to play the game, especially during the early game. :p

Generators worst improvements ever?! No that's just your opinion, Ryika. :rolleyes:The energy gives you flexibility and insurance and you get them at the start to maintain energy as you develop throughout the game. How is it holding yourself back?

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

you're probably right, most likely it seems Supremacy Purity?

sorry for not clarifying this earlier, standard as in a [standard strategy to compare other strategies too for victory turn times] spamming academies is an unreasonable standard IMO' because every other strategy would be considered "slow" or "sub-par" or atleast thats the way i look at it.

8. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I'm highly inclined to agree with you. If so that's pretty clever. Throne being both an angel as well as a seat for a monarch; emphasizing the "robotic servitude" that the Purity/Supremacy hybrid seems to possess. Machines holding humanity aloft.

9. Red Menace

i believe time will serve to prove us right. does anybody know when the next BERT Let's play is? i cant wait to see some Ultimate Hybrid units.
    which type of Hybrid do you think will they play as?

10. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

I hope it's Supremacy/Harmony. If BERT doesn't have a s/h ultimate unit that's a robot riding a siege worm with laser turrets on its head, I will be severely disappointed. :p

11. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I'd settle for a an artificially-created, biomechanical Siege Worm... that shoots lasers.

Anyway, the 1 Hybrid I really want to see is Harmony/Purity. But I have a feeling that we aren't going to see that one. Which leave 2 possibilities. Either they show Purity/Supremacy which they've hinted at at E3 or show Supremacy/Harmony.

I think that the former is more likely. But I must admit that I do want to see what the exact methodology S/H possesses. What makes them tick?

What would be insane is if they showed all 3 Hybrids but that is basically a pipe dream.

12. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

My question is, will anybody play a pure affinity in BERT? In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter.

13. Red Menace

but you already can its called PURITY:lol: but seriously if you mean "Pure" as in "0" in the other affinities i dont think its even possible in BERT.
    how about Robot Sharks with Frickin laser beams Attached to their heads.

Spoiler :

that is all i ask.

14. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Harmony/supremacy is hard to imagine as it gets into robot/pirate/ninja/zombie territory, as in too many cool things so it stops being cool.
    We could look at it from the point of view of contrasting an affinity with its opposite, which exists now that there are more than three. S/P is the only one specifically described as humans and robot slaves. Seems a fair opposite of harmony with its mutant humans and domesticated engineered alien. P/H has been hinted to be humance genetically enhanced with whatever can be taken from the planet, and possibly future planets. So they will adapt a superior human from any life the find and be suitable to live on any planet. Contrast that with supremacy, being technologically independent of a planet so adapted to nothing, sit suitable to live anywhere.
    So what's the opposite of purity? If purity preserves humanity then might harmony/supremacy abandoned it? Create a new race from what they've learned a I'd alien and artificial life that may be in no way human at all, but being our creation, still see them as our successor and be fine with handing over our society to them. One question being, to we continue to live among them as gods, or retire and die off, allowing out legacy to to carried by our mutant/machine "children"?

Or maybe just make sharks with lasers on their heads.

15. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, the main problem I see are the very small battlefields. As long as you can create bottlenecks, then the AI just loses their army, even if it was twice as big as it already is. Harmony Soldiers pretty much create bottlenecks on their own, especially in terrain where they can't be shot at from a distance, so that increases the problem.

4 is bigger than 1, even though it's perfectly fine for people to choose 1, 2, 3 or of 4. Or in other words: Just because I think that everyone should play the way they want to play that doesn't change that there are strategies that are just better than other strategies.

People were talking about Singleplayer, if you inject yourself and come with an argument that "That doesn't work in MP!" - well... d'oh. That's not an argument.

See, I generally don't care about vague ideas, I care about results. I tried generators and they sucked, my math says they suck and generators go against the "basic rules" that the efficient strategies that I know of follow - so I won't change my opinion just because you make some claims. Write down a (SP) strategy guide for an efficient Generator Strategy and I'll test it. If I realize I was wrong? Guess what, I'll change my opinion.

And once again, I did not say they're the "worst improvement ever", please stop exaggerating.

16. Red Menace

my guess is Supremacy-Harmony uses bionic implants and possibly nano-bots to change themselves to a more alien robotic entity [such as using Nano-bots to create miasma] basically using nano-robotics instead of genetic engineering to make yourself alien while using Augments to enhance the alien form.
    the obvious choice, Sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads. now all i need is, ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

17. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

As the topic so often comes back, here's my idea for numbers beating technology. Have maximum hitpoints be variable through production. Spend more time building and get a unit that lasts longer.
    Oh, here's another one make 'heal units' a city process like 'build science' etc. Have your cities spend production not on new units, but on reinforcing existing units in the field.
    We need something that gives production a benefit to the military other than just have increased number of units, which gets unmanageable to the player and much more so for the A.I.

18. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

If S/H abandons humanity, in a metaphorical sense, couldn't it be seen as augmenting humans with technology and alien genetics to the point that almost no trace of humanity is left to them?

19. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Yes, but the designers said they were trying to make hybrids not just a half way point in the two, but its own answer to the future of humanity. Cyborg augmentation and mutations of humans seem to me like just mixing the two. However creating a new non human race and allowing it to inherit our society seems like a new and very non-purity answer.

20. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

@Ryika

Good point on bottlenecks.

That seems like a terrain issue mostly, though a two unit per tile system may help with it a little.

I do think the game would benefit from toning down the military gains from high science to put them somewhat more in line with gains from heavy industry.