1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Rising Tide) No speculation on Hybrid Affinities and New sponsors?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Metecury, Jun 16, 2015.

1. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

Their "answer to the future of humanity" would still be different. These "meta humans" wouldn't want to connect with primitive aliens, or save the primitive earthlings. Being supreme and in harmony, these guys would likely have a goal to unite the humans and aliens by perfecting them both to live optimally and in harmony. It'd be like their goal is to abandon nature itself, and play god.

Don't know if anyone here has played Fallout, but it makes me think of The Master's Army from Fallout.

2. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Too bad it's only going to show through in the units.

Hybrid cities, leaders and victory types would've been great to have if they were really serious about hybridization.

Going the extra mile can make a big difference.

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Visuals are not an indication of how "serious" a developer is about a specific mechanic.

It is helpful and beneficial? Absolutely. Does it infer intent on behalf of the developer? No. Software development is all about priorities. If they weren't serious about Hybrid Affinities, we wouldn't have the mechanic at all.

4. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

To me, "getting" an affinity in terms of what it means isn't just the visuals but also the question: what does that mean for your society?

In Civ:BE, the answer was: fancier units. In BERT, there are at least some interesting non-military bonuses, such as food from domes, growth in cities. Does it match up with the lore? Don't know yet, but it feels like it impacts society more than before from what we have seen so far.

Hybrid cities really would've been a nice touch, though.

5. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Exactly, and visuals mean more than some people realize. Otherwise there would be no need for aesthetic changes at all. Hell, why even have color or any graphical depictions in the first place? Just have some numbers or letters to represent units. By making the aesthetic change, the developers are showing how complete and seamless they want the experience to be.

I don't understand how anyone can justify making excuses for not having graphical alterations.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

they really should have hybrid cities, doesn't it seem stupid to look at your city and its like [yup this is a hybrid society so that means this side of the city is for the "Puritans?" and the other is for Harmony, now get on your sides people]i really wish they would bring back the wonder and Victory videos, I won, now i get to look at a picture..:dance:

for instance Medieval 2 total war has lots of videos even for world events such as the mongols arriving or assassinating the pope.

7. GoWay

GoWay Chieftain

The hybrid faction get their own units, why they should not be getting their own cities?

8. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I definitely agree they would've been a nice touch.

I was simply arguing against the assumption that because they're not present, the developers are somehow being slapdash or "not serious" about the expansion.

In a word? Resources.

Try not to indulge in hyperbole - just because there is no pressing need (separate from individual desires) to visualise hybrid City art, doesn't mean the game as a whole doesn't need colour and / or unit models and / or <insert tedious over exaggeration here>.

9. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

How do we know there aren't going to be hybrid city models? People were complaining before about sea farms and ractors having the same art as land versions, but that was because they weren't done yet! That was obvious but still there was talking if lazy developers etc.
    This is different, though, and the argument could end the same in it just not have happened yet, but I don't really care. Having potentially six different building models with different colours in cities might make them too silly and random, like we're building Willy Wanna's chocolate factory on this planet.

10. Gritf

Gritf Chieftain

Hybrid looking cities may also bring a concern. Just picture what would happen if you were 5-5 into any two affinities, lets say harmony and supremacy, then suddenly you level up twice in supremacy. You end up with a purple city wich in a few decades becomes a city of black and yellow obelisks with a grayish getto.

But that's ok, after all that city had high production yield xd.

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well realistically a 5-5 that moved to 7-5
    should be
    Hybrid-hybrid
    to
    Hybrid-supremacy (7-5 is still basically Hybrid)

once its 9-5
    Supremacy-hybrid

then at 13-5
    Supremacy-supremacy

Hybrid city models would actually smooth it out.