1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Rising Tide) No speculation on Hybrid Affinities and New sponsors?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Metecury, Jun 16, 2015.

1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Just because it is a part of PAC doesn't mean it can't be in another group.

If EU was a sponsor, NATO or the UK could still be sponsors.
    (Especially if Earth changes in the meantime... Perhaps PAC collapsed)

2. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I highly doubt it. PAC seems to be a superstate, not an organization. And the devs seem pretty adamant about these things not overlapping.

And what would be the point of that kind of redundancy anyway?

"As a Korean, you were a member of both the PAC and the Anti-PAC Japanese Consortium... not sure how, but prepare to be rivals with your own countrymen!"

And just as a personal observation, a lot of people seem to want to try and force the merger of Japan and Korea because they see their cultures/aesthetics as having lot in common. J-Pop and K-Pop, etc.

I would say this is spoken more from a position of ignorance regarding just how different these two nations are.

3. rune42

rune42 Chieftain

You're reaching. You're also projecting.

The reason why South Korea and Japan should be in the same faction in this fictional universe is the same reason they have a military cooperation agreement in the real world: neccessity.

You talk about Japan and Korea hating each others guts, but the history and current political scape between China and Vietnam is a helluva lot more bloody and turbulent. What kind of event must occur in order for Vietnam to fall under the jurisdiction of China? Do you think China is going to leave Japan alone after that event?

Japan only has 2 neighbors in their immediate vicinity that can form a union to fend off PAC: Taiwan and South Korea. Hence, a union between Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan makes sense. Again, let me reiterate that the union is born out of neccessity, nothing more.

4. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Stopped reading here. If you want to engage someone in a discussion, you don't start with personal attacks.

5. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Moderator Action: Arguing over whether or not Korea will be included with a Japanese Sponsor that has not even been announced yet is not helpful. Please stop this line of argument unless something is announced in relation to this.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. rune42

rune42 Chieftain

How convenient. If "reaching" and "projecting" are personal attacks, then what does that make the following:

:crazyeye:

Moderator Action: Continuing an argument after a mod has told you to stop is unacceptable.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Stopped reading here.

Moderator Action: Please refrain from posts that don't have any content that serves no purpose other than to provoke others.

8. Thetford

Thetford Chieftain

The global cities concept could still work if the faction was focussed on powerful city building, a tall civ, rather than wide, with some Venice elements. For example, in present real life, cities and municipal governments are often doing more to combat climate change than their national governments, and arcologies, cities that are fully self sufficient without needing an input from the surrounding environment are a popular trope in science fiction. I recall hearing about this concept of vertical farming (it was either a documentary or that sustainable technology museum in London, can't remember which), which would only requires 127 of them, each no more than the footprint of a standard building, can feed the entire present population of New York City.

(Edited for clarity)

9. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I always contended that Polystralia was an absurd name anyway. Oceania or Pacifica maybe.

10. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

So we will see two more factions. The places that are free if we look at a map are Central Europe, the Caribbean-Central America, Canada (although I think that ARC represents the Anglo-Saxon North America), and the region of Persia (Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan) (If not They are included in Al Falah).

I believe that civilizations that are going out are:

- A union of Caribbean and Central American countries led by Mexico or Cuba.
    If you think about it there is not primarily Spanish civilization, only there is as secondary culture:
    . Franco Iberia is primarily French
    . ARC is primarily Anglo-Saxon
    . Brasilia is primarily Portuguese
    So it would make patrons were culturally more diverse.

- A union of Central European countries representing Germanic Europe, led by Germany (it is the largely absent)
    In this way Europe would remain represented of the next way:
    . Latin Europe: Franco Iberia
    . Slavic Europe: Slavic Federation
    . Anglo-Scandinavian Europe: NSA
    . Germanic Europe: German Empire?

Sorry if I misspelled, the English is not my native language.

11. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Germany could be part of NSA as it has also coast to the north sea.

Your notification about the region around Iran is correct. There is a huge gap in the area. Besides Iran the countries in Central Asia (kazakhstan, Uzbekstan, Turkmenistan, Kirghizstan, Tadjikstan), Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkey and Azerbaycan can be combined for a civilization. This civ would then be a mix of Persian, Turkic and Urdu.

Or like you said (most of ) it will be part of Al-Falah, which I do not hope for, but seem to be more likely.

12. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

It's rather optimistic to assume every region on Earth was able to initiate its own seeding program.

That said, it's interesting that Japan ended up apparently being the last remaining holdover to resist PAC integration.

Basically it's them against the combined regional might of China, Korea, Indochina and so on.

13. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Huh, there are also stations (I think 2?) with japanese sounding names. Did anybody keep stations in mind when thinking about future sponsors? Where do stations come from, btw? :confused:

14. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

Yes, but most of Germany is in central Europe and at the current sea level rise would not affect them as much as to the Netherlands, also not just saying Germany, but a union between Germany, Switzerland and the ancient countries that formed Austria-Hungary (Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia, ...)

Why not? It is an imaginary future, anything is posible.

I think that the stations are spacial companies of minor factions.

15. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I didn't say I had a problem with it. Just that it was optimistic.

16. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Huahahaha. The "Reich": a militaristic faction born from what was once Germany and Austria, and, even earlier, the Holy Roman Empire. The leader is "Oberst von Steinbugel", ready with monocle and archaic military uniform. :crazyeye:

17. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I personally like the idea of a Central American/ Carribean regional power to fill out the Americas.

I also suspect we will see an artifact focused sponsor based on a small group assembling a ship through scavenging other projects awhile after the first wave of seeding.

This is my attempt to merge the two ideas, in a format modeled after Defiantmars' Wayfinder Initiative.

Spoiler :
    The Meso-Caribbean Confederacy

Led by Fernán Marquez.

Sponsor Bonus - Resourceful Recovery

Gain Energy whenever an Expedition is completed.

Artifact bonuses are 50% stronger.

Place of Origin

Necessity is the mother of invention, and throughout history challenges and crisis have been met with innovative solutions. This axiom is the bedrock of the Meso-Caribbean Confederacy, an alliance of Mesoamerican and Carribean states. The confederacy formed in response to a wave of unrest and revolution in the trying times of the Great Mistake, and with the help of Brasilian and American peacekeeper and aid forces it effectively stabilized the region. These changes in government brought an era of reform and a sense of cultural unity to the region, giving the confederate government political weight which compensated for its lack of legal authority. The combination of these reforms and trade through the Panama Canal and from the USA and Brasilia made the region prosperous. With these resources, the confederacy invested in its future.

Recovery

Many of the coastal cities of the region were damaged by changes in sea patterns, even after the stabilization of the region no longer necessitated aid corps. To avoid undue ARC influence and control, the confederacy financed the rebuilding and recovery of its coasts, its infrastructure, and even its tourist industry to some extent. These programs developed resourceful engineers with a knack for salvage and creative repairs. The increase in production resulting from the recovery of Meso-Caribbean coastal regions brought further trade, which in turn solidified the confederacy as a sovereign, if minor, power. As a result the Meso-Caribbean Confederacy progressed from an unstable backwater region to a beautiful center of trade and prosperity.

Legacy

This new prosperity and cultural cohesion in the region gave rise to ambitions that were previously unthinkable. Above all, support for a Meso-Carribean seeding effort rose as the inflection point loomed nearer. Life on another world came to be seen as the bright future of humanity by the pro-seeding movement, led by the rags-to-riches businessman Fernán Marquez with his personable wit and ambitious aptitude. Appealing to the various cultural identities of the region, Fernán promised to immortalize their legacy as proud, independent peoples on the new world. Despite his popular rhetoric the confederacy only barely manged to assemble a Seeding ship through a combination of purchasing now unused equipment from other seeding programs and manufacturing what could not be acquired. So with a ship that pays tribute to its people's spirit and the ingenuity of its engineers and businessmen, the Meso-Carribean Confederacy launched a late Seeding operation that many thought impossible. With the resourceful Fernán Marquez leading the colony, they seek to preserve their cultural heritage by thriving on this new world.

18. Veras

Veras Prince

Interesting idea. For a Caribbean faction I'm also imagining a man, but I think if the other faction is Japan, than it would probably be a japanese man (so we don't get two female asian leaders) and a Caribbean woman (black Haitian or Cuban, I hope). This would be a nice counterpoint to Daoming and Barre.

19. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I have a possibly unrealistic desire for a sponsor with a good mustache and something that at least looks inspired by a poncho.

The leader for that faction being male would also help to contrast against Suzanne Fielding, who is also a (far more) successful businessman* of hispanic dissent.

*(Not sure what is grammatically correct here with a man and a woman.)

I focused more on the Central American side for the leader, but giving them origins in the Caribbean could also work well.

I agree that a Japanese sponsor being male would be probably best to contrast with Daoming.

20. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I like the idea of a "reborn HRE" it could potentially play on the new aspects of the diplomatic system. I may be watching too much Europa Universalis IV...

That is a sweet write up. I really like how the aspects you wrote up mesh with each other. From what I know about design, it a lot about getting the concept to match context.