Rising Tide or Civ V complete edition?

So, with the announcement of Civ 6, I've found myself drawn back to the franchise again. I never really got into Civ V - tried the demo, didn't really like it, so never bought the game and went back to Civ IV.
I did get BE, and was massively disappointed. I keep trying to get into it, and just can't, it tantalises me with its potential, but it just doesn't quite deliver and leaves me pining for the atmosphere of SMAC.

Watching some of the videos about Civ6 on youtube made me fire up the old Civ V demo in Steam, and because its mechanics are so similar to BE, I was able to get into it this time. The full game is expensive on Steam, but only £11 on Amazon for the Complete Edition. Rising tide is also £11 on Amazon...

I don't have much time for games these days (and Mrs Suribachi questions every penny I spend haha ), so just curious on the communities thoughts - does Rising Tide make BE into the game we all wanted, or is Civ V Complete Edition too good to pass on?

I'm asking the same question in the Civ V forum, just to see how much of difference of opinion there is, if at all.

Thanks

EDIT: dammit, forgot to add poll! :mad: Anyway, there's a poll in the Civ V forum...:blush:

Having played both games extensively, I must say that I prefer BE for two reasons:

1) The setting. I just prefer the SciFi environment, and the strange and alien environments of the world.
2) Its easier to actually build an empire in BE. The health system (BE's happiness) is more forgiving than the happiness mechanic in Civ5, where negative happiness grinds your growth to an immediate halt. In BE you can expand more reasonably.

I play both games for immersion and the feeling of building a strong empire, and not so much for the challenge (usually on normal difficulty or one above). And I find this more enjoyable to do in BE. However the AI in Civ5 seems a good bit better, and the game seems more balanced (as it should, having been out longer).

So if you want a suggestion, that's mine: If you want a challenge, then Civ5 is probably the better choice. If you are in for the world/empire building, and like a SciFi setting, then BE may be for you.

it is a matter of personal preference, there is a free demo for both, why not try them and make your own decision.

So, with the announcement of Civ 6, I've found myself drawn back to the franchise again. I never really got into Civ V - tried the demo, didn't really like it, so never bought the game and went back to Civ IV.
I did get BE, and was massively disappointed. I keep trying to get into it, and just can't, it tantalises me with its potential, but it just doesn't quite deliver and leaves me pining for the atmosphere of SMAC.

Watching some of the videos about Civ6 on youtube made me fire up the old Civ V demo in Steam, and because its mechanics are so similar to BE, I was able to get into it this time. The full game is expensive on Steam, but only £11 on Amazon for the Complete Edition. Rising tide is also £11 on Amazon...

I don't have much time for games these days (and Mrs Suribachi questions every penny I spend haha ), so just curious on the communities thoughts - does Rising Tide make BE into the game we all wanted, or is Civ V Complete Edition too good to pass on?

I'm asking the same question in the Civ V forum, just to see how much of difference of opinion there is, if at all.

Thanks

EDIT: dammit, forgot to add poll! :mad: Anyway, there's a poll in the Civ V forum...:blush:

Get Civ V, there is no questions asked. Even as a massive Sci-fi fan, Civ V is way better

If you ask for Civ-esque game in SMAC-like sci-fi setting, Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira may suit you. It's way simpler than Civ by the sum of features, and its atmosphere is nothing like SMAC, but core mechanics are pretty solid, UI is handy, and graphics and sound are neat. Pandora's specialty is surprisingly clever AI, honed for over a year now by dedicated AI developer with the help of top players. The AI is really dangerous even on Normal difficulty, where it does not receive any bonuses. And there is no 1UPT rule! In addition the game is inexpensive, which certainly will please Mrs Suribachi.

Beyond Earth is a somewhat failed project that has (or at least it seems) been abandoned before it was truly completed. Civ 5 was completed and done well, not to mention the large amount of mods out there for it, compared to a pretty dead community for Beyond Earth. Civ 5 is the way to go, its just the better game (I am a fan of both historical and sic-fi games. Civ 5 is just much more well polished and better mechanically, thought Beyond Earth does have a cool setting, it gets old quickly).

it is a matter of personal preference, there is a free demo for both, why not try them and make your own decision.
This.

No matter how people try to dress it up, everything is down to personal preference, post-Rising Tide. There are faults in both games, there are mods for both.

If you want an active community scene, if that's the deal-breaker, then go for CiV. That's about the only thing I can think of that isn't reflected in BE.

I got Civ 5 complete edition and I'm not regretting it one bit. Been working my way through the difficulty levels (as much for the Steam achievements as anything else ;) ) and really enjoying it.

Beyond Earth: The Collection = $19.79 (67% off)

and wow...

Civilization V: Complete = $12.27 (92% off!)

Ends July 4th.

Yeah, is it worth buying even at that price, or will I barely play it? Should I just stick with Civ V and Endless Legend until VI comes out?

I would say it's not worth it. It just wasn't well done, and there are far better games out there. Endless legend and Civ 5 blow it away, no real comparison. Stick with them.

Get neither. Save your money, check off October 21st... and then skip that too. Get yourself a nice arcade fighter. Killer Instinct, maybe.

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna pass. I loved SMAC, but I am busy lately. And I still haven't beat Endless Legend with every faction. Thanks for the input everyone.

I put some more time into Civ5 complete this weekend.
I am sad,
BE has so much more potential than where it is at right now.
Everyone who likes Civ 5 should be forced to play BERT and right an essay to Firaxis on how to get BE into good shape. ;)

I am sad,
Everyone who likes Civ 5 should be forced to play BERT and right an essay to Firaxis on how to get BE into good shape. ;)

that's kind of what I'm doing right now, except I'm not *forced* to play BERT, I am just trying to get a proper feel for it

I am sad,

Having made my decision, got Civ5 CE, and put 100 hours into it already, having put in ~120 hours previously on BE, it's incredible really.

Civ 5, with all the DLC, is an excellent game. I see now why it is (still) such a popular game.

BE, which is based off the exact same engine, and uses exactly the same interface, just can't touch it, and there are many, many reasons for this. But the three that stand out for me right now are

1) The leaders. Civ5 has a huge cast of differing characters, all with their own personalities that affect how they play each game. BE has a handful of characters, who look different, but lack personality and have no discernable difference in gameplay.
2) The paths to victory. Although there are a similar number of victory types, the paths to victory in Civ 5 are bewilderingly numerous. I'm sure the uber power gamers with their 100 turn deity victories would disagree as they home in on the optimal solution for every path. But for the average gamer, the diversity in religion and social policies opens up so many ways to skin the cat.
3) Wonders. They are so terrible in BE. So terrible, that many of them are worse than normal buildings. Or come so late that they are of no use. Or you don't even realise they are a wonder. Civ 5 has numerous wonders that are "must haves" throughout the game depending on your chosen path. I never did a single fist pump on getting a wonder in BE, but when beat an AI to that key wonder in Civ 5...

The only thing BE has is its soundtrack, but Civ V's is pretty epic too, so it can't even score a point there.

Top Bottom