1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Rising Tide)So no Virtues nor TechWeb Overhaul ?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Gokudo01, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Which I personally like, because it gives an enormous strategic freedom. In Civ5 I always felt like "I have to settle somewhere in that location and my job is just to find the best spot" and "Okay - no more luxuries. Guess I'm done settling." In Beyond Earth I can settle 4 cities, or I can settle 18 cities if I want. And then cry horribly because I end up at -9000 health and my last 2 outposts never become cities, but hey. :D

Anyway. Yeah, I think Beyond Earth took it a bit too far (although probably unintentionally), because resources almost have no influence at all. When the game has strong, advanced improvements like the Academy, then Resource Tiles need to get stronger over the course of the game as well and having more STRONG buildings that require local resources would also help to make the city locations more interesting. I think that could be done without something as restricting as "The area must have X to support a city or the location is bad".

In my "perfect version" of the game, players would be able to settle non-resource locations, but those cities would be a lot less productive. (The Xenonursery also does a good job for Xenomass when it comes to that) The downside would be balanced so that everyone should try to settle resource-heavy locations, and people who WANT more cities can fill up the "space in-between" with filler-cities.

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I don't know. I played one game where there was a total of 11 firaxite all in one city radius. I considered that a must have city location. :D

3. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

In my opinion increasing basic and strategic resource yields would make settling more interesting without reverting the the almost automatic "settle on luxuries" theme in Civ 5.

From playing some of the New Horizons and Tera mod, I'd like to see more buildings specializing in specific resource categories.

Like a building granting +1 Health from plantations, or one that increases the yields from mined resources - leading players down different tech paths based on local resources.

With that system players still could settle cities in random places if they wanted to go wide, but location choice and specialization would be more impactful.

4. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

This is another way they could have differentiated affinities. Supremacy gets improvements/ buildings that more or less let you build anywhere and with advancement make settling for resources irrelevant, exception for firaxite. Purity needs more resources, harmony some, and supremacy almost none.

5. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

What in particular would be interesting is % yield bonuses from buildings.
    iElectrocatalysis Plant.. requires gold, +5% culture, +10% production, +1 production on mined gld.

Scatter those around the tech web...and basic resources not only shape your tech strategy, but your city specialization strategy too.

6. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

BE definitely needs moar multiplicative bonuses as well as increased special resource tile yields.

each civ expansion adds new techs. the tech web will change somewhat.

7. ShaggyCan

ShaggyCan Warlord

I have looked around but I haven't seen any word on if they have integrated all the new features in with covert ops. Will it interact with Political Capitol? It would be amazing if you could steal artifacts from other players with a mission!

8. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

That sounds more frustrating than fun, to be honest.

I'd be rather annoyed in Civ 5 if several of my Grear Works randomly got stolen because I didn't have a counterspy in evert city.

9. ShaggyCan

ShaggyCan Warlord

I don't think the artifacts are stored in a city the same as in CiV, I think you would just assume they are all in the capitol. Another reason to keep the stars low in there. I think it would be fun! Maybe its just me...

Hey that was my 100th post! Not bad for 8 years! :)

10. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

I had one spot with 30 firaxite (three spots)

11. Acken

Acken Deity

In general CivBE just need to make terrain/ressources more linked to other systems. At least techs and buildings.
    I've already said it but the base idea of all those +X for ressource buildings was a good idea and something that was attractive to me. But this is useless because of a problem of scale. You cannot have a building giving you 1 production for a ressource when a lot of other opportunities like trade routes can give you 5 to 10 times as much.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Which is why it should be a % bonus for the building (requiring the resource) in addition to the +yield for each resource

13. Alkaid

Alkaid Warlord

I quite like how the virtue system is as a whole, with my only complaint being that despite being a science tree in a game where science is currently king, the knowledge tree really never gets any use since prosperity and industry are so strong. Even might is a good late game virtue dump (or good for alien science farm strategies in multiplayer, from what I hear). Then again Civ V had the same thing with Tradition or Liberty followed by Rationalism 90% of the time, so having very underutilized trees is nothing new.(I'm especially looking at you, Aesthetics) Of course that doesn't make it a good thing to have happen again.

One thing I do really wish was changed with RT, which doesn't seem like it will be, is some of the tech tree. I don't think I'm looking for an overhaul like the TC stated, as for the most part I quite like the tech tree, but it definitely could some changes to the especially bad techs on it. Watching the previews by Quill18 and the Firaxis streams I noticed there's still late leaf techs that carry nothing but a wonder on them, and I think that's a really poor design choice. The fact that those wonders are all pretty useless, with even the decent ones coming too late to be of use in a standard game, just makes it even worse.(unless they overhauled some wonders, which I don't really expect) Plus there's not as much= satisfaction when all you get from a tech is a single wonder and no other buildings, units, or bonuses.

I also think they could fix part of the problems with terrain/resources not being impactful enough if they moved around/enhanced some of the terrain/resource-related buildings to less out of the way techs.
    The Vivarium, for example, comes on a tech you'll always take very early and it makes desert go from trash tiles to at least usable, which is pretty nice. Most of the other effects and buildings of that sort aren't nearly as early on, which makes them much worse than they could be. It probably wouldn't solve the issues, but it would certainly be an improvement.