1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Rising Tide] What graphical changes do YOU want to see?

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Lord Tirian, Jul 3, 2015.

?

What graphical changes do YOU want to see?

1. Improved wonder & victory splashes

33 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. Better splash screens for quests, resource pods and stations

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. More splash screens in general

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  4. Affinity variants for Civilian units

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  5. Affinity variants for tile improvements

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  6. More variants for city buildings and special models for certain buildings

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  7. More distinct affinity variants for leader models/graphics

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Small detail, but am I the only one who have noticed the mistake with the plantation symbol? It has a bar running through it to the left side.

I would love to have less minimalist wonder splashes, with a full color view of the wonder that actually hinted to the function as well.

And a victory movie in the same style as the "Star ships" intro, i e cut out stills panning movie. This would be a cheap way to increase immersion. Don't think either will happen though.

And the late game affinities leaders looks needs some love, just changing the color of a scarf from green, yellow or red is not enough! Use completely different 3D models for each and be much bolder!

2. vahouth

vahouth Prince

-More affinity levels for the leaders + hybrid variants. They are currently WAY too few and especially maxed out leaders are too boring.
    -Alien skins based on biomes. I'd also like to see biome specific aliens that appear nowhere else.
    -Better more clear minimap, with added button to enlarge it.
    -The ability to turn land tiles to water ones and visa versa either caused by events like greenhouse effect or asteroid impact or engineering.
    -Real terraforming! The ability to change tiles to whatever you like.

3. Darsnan

Darsnan King

I voted for "Improved wonder & victory splashes", as I find those are two of the major reasons behind getting me to play "one more turn" in SMACX, as opposed to BE. And along the same lines I think it would be great if they were to introduce splash screens for when enemy leaders are captured, similar to SMACX where the captured leaders were shown in the punishment spheres.

Edit: also, when you shoot down satellites, currently your just bombarding an invisible target in space. It'd be nice to add the satellite animation actually getting destroyed during these engagements.

D

4. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

That's a good shout!

Actually just realised that I'd also like to see another pass on the terrain graphics. They are conceptually good but seem to lack some sharpness, vibrancy, definition and detail Civ5 had (even with the tilt-shift turned off).

Minor details but these are the things that tie stuff together.

5. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

I feel that the affinity-flavored tile improvements would be one of those things you see throughout the most of the game, and help represent how your affinity permeates throughout every aspect of your nation's society. Those have to be one of the higher tier priorities, They are 4th out of the 8 options here.

It is kind of funny how the victory splashes have the second most votes. This just shows how much of a letdown they are. You only see them once in the game, yet they still matter the most to people, this say a lot in my opinion.

6. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

I agree, its current implementation is a bit awkward and very unsatisfying.

It doesn't have to be anything drawn out like the air combat animations either. When you're moving the red highlighted hex target around, it could instead take you to the orbital layer where you can see the different satellites (instead of targeting from the main layer). You just click on one, wait for half a second, and then "BOOM" it explodes gloriously. Then the game quickly returns you to the main layer to continue business.

You don't even really need to see the missile animation flying up towards it. Also, going to the orbital layer during it avoids the awkward firing animation on the ground by the many different units which fire at satellites.

7. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Also, I would like the Dome, Node, and Biowell graphics to be a bit more neutral.

In my opinion, the Academies are quite ugly as well with that landscaping, and they don't really fit in well with the other improvement graphics. I would prefer them removed from the game altogether, but I don't think Firaxis is likely to do that, so it would at least be nice to get nicer looking ones.

8. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Warlord

Better splash screens but I think you can throw a lot of them out entirely by getting rid the quests. A lot of the building quests its basically a choice between +1 gold or some other minor bonus which doesn't really matter.

Also I think better (colorful) building icons is really important. I should be able to instantly choose what buildings to build without having to read text.

9. edingess

edingess Warlord

That's already confirmed. :)

10. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I actually like them and conceptually, it makes sense that they are so strongly affiliated with an affinity. I'd much rather see them change gameplay-wise to encourage building them when you follow their affinity (spamming biowells for health is really weird for, say, supremacy). Totally agree on academies, though - it's a lovely model but the green lawn ruins it on anything but the lush biome, I have no idea why thought that would be a good idea.
    Heh, ideally, they'd reduce the micro-quests for buildings but then kit out the remaining ones with art (though I do think having a way to customise your buildings is cool, just not sure "quests" are the right thing for that). Quality over quantity.

11. vahouth

vahouth Prince

AFAIK, they are coloured differently, but that's no indication that they are also skinned differently.

12. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

. . . those two things are the same thing. Assuming you're taking about 'skin' as informal for a texture and not skinning the pre-animation process.

13. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

No, recoloring and reskinning are not the same thing. While recoloring is a form of reskinning, actual reskins can go further than just recoloring.

14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You said it yourself - they're a form of re-texturing. Other texture improvements can go further, but they're still just a re-texture.

It's like a model cube and a model house. They're both still models, and this like all analogies is a bad one because colour theory is an important and technical part of art as a whole.

Moderator Action: Please take the semantic arguments offline.

15. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

That does still not make them the "same thing". It's a small difference not really worth arguing about in most cases, but in this case the distinction is actually important for the discussion, because what we get is (at least for the most part) a recolor and that is not what he was hoping for, he is hoping for more advanced retexturing (like for example using patterns that fit the affinity, not just colors that do) and it looks like that is what we won't get.

Moderator Action: Please take the semantic arguments offline.

16. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Thread moved to Ideas & Suggestions and Rising Tide added to title

17. Darsnan

Darsnan King

And conversely when an enemy orbital unit attacks you then have the text be more specific than "A Orbital Unit has attacked you".

18. Josephias

Josephias King

Maybe the health bonus should be linked with affinity, re-balancing the other bonuses? (i.e. bio-wells to provide +1 health when you are over a treshold in harmony, +2 when you are over a second treshold, but the same for nodes: +1, +2 on supremacy thresholds; and for domes :+1, +2 health on purity thresholds).

As for graphic enhancements, i concur this should be a priority poll, as I as much want all those written (well, maybe I can miss city buildings).

In my list, top would be for sure leader models: we have already "ultra" affinity concepts for each leader in Starships, so these should be modeled into Beyond Earth, as well as one extra model for each hybrid affinity (to be used if the leader is over X in two affinities without a difference bigger than Y between the two).
    Then probably affinity-tied tile improvements, workers and explorers, and then the improvement of wonder-victory splashes.
    And then all the rest, of course.